Handicap discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the argument should be more about Disney's discrimination between the different type handicaps rather than disclosure of said handicaps. The DAS stands for Disability Access Service yet Disney only affords these passes to those with sensory disorders. Ironic, given that it was this primary group who abused the GAC to a point that Disney had to make a change.

Now, those who are wheelchair bound and can't transfer really have a case for discrimination because not only do they have to wrangle with the masses in line but then, insult to injury, they have to wait extra for a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle. It is ironic too that it is the wheelchair bound group, which these type passes were originally intended, is the most silent.

Perhaps you should get your facts in order before making blanket statements such as this. The DAS is not only for people with sensory issues, it's for anyone whose invisible disability needs accommodations. Disney has determined that since most of their queues at WDW are wheelchair accessible, those who have stamina or mobility issues will be best served by a wheelchair and ECV and shouldn't see too much of an increased wait time because of it. I will agree that Disney has not done the best job of training their CMs to convey this change in disability card policy very well, but that isn't going to change the policy.

Perhaps you should get your facts in order before making blanket statements such as this. The DAS is not only for people with sensory issues, it's for anyone whose invisible disability needs accommodations. Disney has determined that since most of their queues at WDW are wheelchair accessible, those who have stamina or mobility issues will be best served by a wheelchair and ECV and shouldn't see too much of an increased wait time because of it. I will agree that Disney has not done the best job of training their CMs to convey this change in disability card policy very well, but that isn't going to change the policy.

Thank you. :-)

I am handicapped. Went to MK and applied for a DAS. I fully understand the rules..an MD from Vanderbilt means I am not a complete idiot...even though they are capricious and arbitrary. HOWEVER, the little 20-something twit with the iPad committed a felony by asking me about my disability, a direct violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. He then recommended I get a wheelchair. Now you and I know what he meant, but any lawyer could nail him for dispensing medical advice. He THEN informed my wife, who walked up later, of everything we had discussed...making him in violation of HIPPA. I understand that Disney is worried about people taking advantage. However, they are bound by federal statutes. Just sayin'.....this is fertile ground for a class action. I did NOT appreciate being talked down to by a 25 year old boy, especially when my education encompassed more years than he had been alive. Disney is on shaky ground with their paternalistic, condescending approach. Yes, I know the jerks from NY and NJ hiring the "handicapped" people hurt us, but they are the extreme minority. It does show how sensitive Disney is to bad publicity. Any attorneys out there want to get on the news? Let me know...

Were you thi scharming when you were speaking to him. Looks like you were ready for a fight

I am handicapped. Went to MK and applied for a DAS. I fully understand the rules..an MD from Vanderbilt means I am not a complete idiot...even though they are capricious and arbitrary. HOWEVER, the little 20-something twit with the iPad committed a felony by asking me about my disability, a direct violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. He then recommended I get a wheelchair. Now you and I know what he meant, but any lawyer could nail him for dispensing medical advice. He THEN informed my wife, who walked up later, of everything we had discussed...making him in violation of HIPPA. I understand that Disney is worried about people taking advantage. However, they are bound by federal statutes. Just sayin'.....this is fertile ground for a class action. I did NOT appreciate being talked down to by a 25 year old boy, especially when my education encompassed more years than he had been alive. Disney is on shaky ground with their paternalistic, condescending approach. Yes, I know the jerks from NY and NJ hiring the "handicapped" people hurt us, but they are the extreme minority. It does show how sensitive Disney is to bad publicity. Any attorneys out there want to get on the news? Let me know...

My two favorite parts:
1) dispensing medical advice. Really? As an MD, you interpret this action by a CM whose job it is to assist people with disabilities as dispensing medical advice? Too funny.
2) Class action lawsuit. Really? That makes perfect sense to me- let's put another ridiculous lawsuit into the court system. Those that serve in the courts have been bored lately and are looking for something to do.

All credibility goes out the window when you start to talk down to someone because they are younger then you, less educated then you, or work a job you consider beneath you. With that I really don't care about the perceived wrongs you claim.

If you want to sue go get an attorney and sue. I's use less hyperbole when you speak with them though.

Whenever I read a trolls post I always envision the comic book guy from The Simpsons sitting in his mom and dad's basement , tee-heeing at everyone commenting on his posts.

I agree that, if you thought there was a problem, you should have asked to speak to a supervisor. In addition, did you created a new user name to start this thread?

I agree that, if you thought there was a problem, you should have asked to speak to a supervisor. In addition, did you created a new user name to start this thread?

OP's screen name was created in October 2013.

On the off chance this thread is for real, I'm wondering if OP embellished his needs and got busted by his wife when the CM discussed the conversation with her. A wife should already be well informed on her husband's abilities, so something is off. :confused3

Now, those who are wheelchair bound and can't transfer really have a case for discrimination because not only do they have to wrangle with the masses in line but then, insult to injury, they have to wait extra for a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle. It is ironic too that it is the wheelchair bound group, which these type passes were originally intended, is the most silent.

:confused3 Nothing has really changed for those of us in ECVs and WCs. We didn't need a GAC and we still don't need a DAS. Just as before, we use the same lines where possible and a separate entrance in those few cases where the main queue is not accessible. The only difference is that if you don't have a FP, and the standby queue is long,and you are using an alternate entrance, you may be given a return time that is the same wait as the standby. Then, as now, we need to deal with the fact that not every car is HA. It would be nice if they were, but nothing has changed there.

No-one ever got front-of-the-line access except the Wish kids.

IronyMeter1.gif

Either a troll working to get reactions for another site to use our reaction for his entertainment or if it was real, I would say he is very angry and just needs to vent for moment.

I think people think it is ok to come here and just vent, but in fact it can be very dangerous.

I hope he can relax if it is for real and then go on to have a nice holiday.

This coupled with OP's other post makes me wonder if he has ever been to Orlando, much less Disney World Most "annual ticket holder's" would have known what to expect. :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter