Handicap discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately people like this make it hard for other disabled people, simply by being belligerent. I guess my lowly B.S. from K-State hasn't prepared me to bring the wrath of God down on Disney.

I am handicapped. Went to MK and applied for a DAS. I fully understand the rules..an MD from Vanderbilt means I am not a complete idiot...even though they are capricious and arbitrary. HOWEVER, the little 20-something twit with the iPad committed a felony by asking me about my disability, a direct violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. He then recommended I get a wheelchair. Now you and I know what he meant, but any lawyer could nail him for dispensing medical advice. He THEN informed my wife, who walked up later, of everything we had discussed...making him in violation of HIPPA. I understand that Disney is worried about people taking advantage. However, they are bound by federal statutes. Just sayin'.....this is fertile ground for a class action. I did NOT appreciate being talked down to by a 25 year old boy, especially when my education encompassed more years than he had been alive. Disney is on shaky ground with their paternalistic, condescending approach. Yes, I know the jerks from NY and NJ hiring the "handicapped" people hurt us, but they are the extreme minority. It does show how sensitive Disney is to bad publicity. Any attorneys out there want to get on the news? Let me know...
Yes, I am an attorney and I would be happy to represent you. I will consider this first post as an initial consultation. Your bill is in the mail. Cash or check is fine.

I have worked in retail since I got my working papers decades ago.

I hope this is a complete troll post because if the interaction occurred as described, some poor CM had bad day through no fault of his own.

I had no problem getting a disabled pass. Took all of 1 minute at most. Asked me what my needs were and was done. I'm always polite and the CM's are doing their job as they should. I try hard not to abuse what Disney offers as they really don't owe me anything. Any assistance is appreciated.

Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

Quite possibly the best response to a post I've ever read!!! Bravo!!!

Jim

I had no problem getting a disabled pass. Took all of 1 minute at most. Asked me what my needs were and was done. I'm always polite and the CM's are doing their job as they should. I try hard not to abuse what Disney offers as they really don't owe me anything. Any assistance is appreciated.

In this day that attitude is very refreshing! :thumbsup2

As has been stated, if you feel you have not been helped properly helped, you are more than welcome to ask for a supervisor. We do not welcome, however, people calling names here, no matter the circumstance.

The OP was asking for what under the ADA would be classified as a "reasonable accommodation." In order to receive the reasonable accommodation, the person must first qualify for it. No paperwork or proof is required, but it is provided for those who self-identify as having a disability or need, and who would benefit from that particular kind of accommodation. Accessible queues are also a reasonable accommodation, so this may be what would be of most use to a guest.

The questions CMs ask are about NEED, not a medical diagnosis. In fact, most MDs, regardless from which school, do not know what my diagnosis is, much less someone outside of the medical field. The CM is not trying to shut people down - they are trying to make sure the CORRECT program is being used.

If a guest has difficulty with walking, standing, or other mobility or stamina concerns, the DAS is NOT the correct program. My family can tell you this first hand. I have a DAS and a wheelchair, but my father had leg surgery and still cannot stand in one place for more than a few minutes. He is fine with walking or sitting, but standing is hard. The DAS resulted in much more walking (to get the times) and much more standing in one place (once we waited and arrived at the ride) than other accommodation.

This is why Disney suggests renting a wheelchair or scooter, and does not issue DAS cards to people with only mobility or stamina concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter