Halloween on the Magic 2013

So for all you seasoned cruisers what are your tips for a newbie? x

Ask away with any questions you have!

Here are a few of my tips:
You can't do everything
Pack less (i still have trouble with that one)
Take some cash for room service tips and in case you want to tip anyone extra
Cast members will take pictures with your camera with the characters

I think the part that I am going to have trouble with is the You can't do everything part LOL but I know to enjoy the experience we will have to leave some things out instead of rushing around.
I am also wondering if it is possible to call Disney and find out who your stewards/servers are before you board? I would like to do some personalised gifts but I don't know if this information is possible.

When it comes to Cozumel I looked at all the excursions offered by Disney and I don't think any of them would suit us so I have been looking into the All Exclusive Package at Nachi Cocom has anybody been before? We just want a day to sit and relax on a beach so the girls can build sandcastles and splash about a bit and it looks right up our alley x

In response to @starlightprincess - we really wanted a cabana for our first cruise; however, were not informed the day before that our wait list efforts paid off. Honestly, besides the cruise, it was the best investment of our trip! The beach can get crowded (though this Halloween cruise out of Miami is looking less so) and having been scuba diving and wading in the public portion while there, I can say that the beach by the cabanas is aMAZing! Plus, having that space to yourself with a shade, refreshments, concierge, hammock, shower, is a wonderful plus to an already wonderful island.

For anyone who is interested - my family and I (DH, myself, DD (5-1/2) and Grammy) welcome anyone who would like to split the cost of a cabana - let me know :)

For newbies....to save space pack an over the door shoe hanger to hang all those extra toiletries, room keys, etc. Counter space is so precious and valuable :)
Also, bring a highlighter for your daily navigators to help you plan for the next day.
I'm sure I'll think of more along the way :)

Finally, coming from PHILADELPHIA :)

I just signed up for the FE. There are 6 of us in the room so I hope no one gets confussed with how I added it all in.

I'll chime in on the questions:
How many DCL have you been on?
This will be our second disney cruise... plus we did one on royal caribbean.

How crowded for Halloween?
I have no idea, but I doubt it will be that many more or less then a normal cruise. AFAIR, it never felt crowded when we were on our last DCL trip and that was beginning of March 2010.

Cozumel excursions?
When we went on the RC cruise we didn't do any official excursion. While we would have loved to go to Talum, at the time it was going to be too much for our young children (now that I think about it, it still would be). Instead, my wife found out that there are many smaller ruins on Cozumel that are much closer to the peer, much less tolling to navigate and FAR LESS expensive. The one we went to was the San Gervasio Ruins.

If memory serves me it was like $5 a person to get in, about 20 minutes by cab and about $30 for the cab ride.

(I know there is an official disney excursion that goes there, but you can do this one on your over very affordably. don't be afraid.)

After we were done here, we were going to go to a beach that my wife had looked up before we left. But the cab driver highly recommended Mr Sancho's. At first we were very apprehensive but took his word for it and it was great. The shrimp tacos and guacamole... lets just say that 6 years later i still want more of them. So yummy. And the service was great and staff was friendly.

A few cons though:

1. This is not Castaway Cay. Don't compare them. It was beautiful. Lots to do, and they definitely want to sell you on the many services. It was not a huge beach, but we had a great time.

2. they charged me a inconvenience fee for using my US Visa card. wasn't a huge amount and I preferred to pay that then deal with walking around with cash and dealing with exchange rates.

3. Because it is a smaller beach there are less chairs and room to spread out.

4. Finally, I need to repeat this: This isn't Castaway Cay so it will be a different experience entirely. Though I can say that even though we have been to both, and know how great CC is, we will probably still go back to Mr Sancho's. Though when went to Cozumel the last time it was January and still 85°+ so just being at the water was great.

Cabana?
We are definitely going to get a cabana. My inlaws are traveling with us and when they heard about the cabana perks, they were quick to say that they definitely wanted to do that... and would split the cost.

Traveling with 5-6 year old girls?
I have 3 girls. My older one will be 7 and the middle is going to be turning 5 a couple of days after the cruise is over. I am sure they would love to find friends to play with.

Where from?
Richmond, VA. We will be driving. I would love to fly but with 6 people it is a lot more expense then driving... then dealing with a cab. Plus we will stop in Orlando on our way home. Not sure if we are going to go to WDW again or US/SW/Legoland. In the past 7 years we have been to WDW many times past our fair share (18 times if I remember correctly). Now we are thinking that variety might be nice for many reasons. If for nothing else, we will be able to apprecaite the difference the next time we are at WDW.

FE?
Can't comment, this will be our first time doing it

for newbie (i learned this one the hard way):

if you are prone to motion sickness, take non-drowsey motion sickness meds about 2-3 hours before you get on the boat. continue to take them as recommend. don't stop taking them until the trip is over.

I won't get into specifics, but it ruined the first night.

after I started this regiment, I was fine the rest of the trip.

@mmcxiiad - how great! My DH and Grammy (who will be joining us) are also from Richmond, VA :)

nice. I have some good friends from Philly. He totally got me hooked on Tony Luke's. that is one of those places that if I am driving north on 95, it is worth the 20 minutes out of the way to eat at.

Great tips so far :)

It will be the first time my niece has been on a boat so I am worried about weather she will get motion sickness but only time will tell LOL She's usually fine in cars and buses so fingers crossed she will be fine. Is there any particular brand of meds for kids that you would recommend?

I made matching t-shirts for boarding the cruise for us so I can't wait to wear them!

Also my niece wants to bring her princess dresses is this a done thing on the cruises?

So what is everybody most looking forward to?

For me it's the whole cruise experience as its my first. I am looking forward to just relaxing with Disney magic without the hectic rush of the theme parks. I feel like I'm home every time I step on to Main Street USA and I'm hoping a Disney Cruise will give me the same feeling.
For Molly (my niece) it's the kids club LOL She will be 5 when we go but the TA said that some of the things such as do-si-do with snow white is only offer to the younger age and is not always available so I am hoping that shes wrong as that's one of the things shes most looking forward to. x

Great tips so far :)

It will be the first time my niece has been on a boat so I am worried about weather she will get motion sickness but only time will tell LOL She's usually fine in cars and buses so fingers crossed she will be fine. Is there any particular brand of meds for kids that you would recommend?

I made matching t-shirts for boarding the cruise for us so I can't wait to wear them!

Also my niece wants to bring her princess dresses is this a done thing on the cruises?

So what is everybody most looking forward to?

For me it's the whole cruise experience as its my first. I am looking forward to just relaxing with Disney magic without the hectic rush of the theme parks. I feel like I'm home every time I step on to Main Street USA and I'm hoping a Disney Cruise will give me the same feeling.
For Molly (my niece) it's the kids club LOL She will be 5 when we go but the TA said that some of the things such as do-si-do with snow white is only offer to the younger age and is not always available so I am hoping that shes wrong as that's one of the things shes most looking forward to. x

One night will be a semi-formal night and your niece is more than welcome to wear her princess dress--there will probably be lots of girls dressed as princesses. On the longer cruises there is an actual formal night with a prince/princess menu. There might be an actual formal night on this cruise, but I'm not sure as there are 5 nights. (the 4 night cruises only have a semi formal and 6+ night cruises have both a semi formal and formal night--we've never been on a 5 night)

As far as feeling at home walking onto the ship--we sure feel at home every time set foot on the ship.

Hey everyone! DW and I are now on this cruise. Refugees from the 12/8/13 Charter-screw here.

Woo Hoo! booked our flights last night! Flying into Miami and found a hotel that offers both free airport and cruise port shuttles as well as free breakfast buffet (the way my kids eat this is a big deal). We're going to stay a few days in Miami after the cruise. So excited!!

Do you mind if I ask where you are staying? We need to find somewhere that has a shuttle.

Welcome to the group! I was reading about the charter on the main page, not cool. Glad you can join us on one I the first out of refit.

Clint

Welcome a-board. yeah, bad pun, but I have been in and out of town on work trips and getting a little loopy.

all i keep thinking is real trip in t-minus 187 days.

Why couldn't they leave the Classic ships alone? It's alright to have different things on different ships.[/]

I think the point hisnt that they are trying t make all the ships the same. They are trying to add value to the magic and the wonder. Who would want to pay a premium to go on a Disney cruise to be on an old boat that hasn't been refurbished? It is inevitable that hotel rooms and cruise ships have a decorating lifespan. At a certain point the decor gets old and worn and needs to be replaced. When that time comes do you update with original or new and more modern designs?

Also, there are other areas of the ship that they may have realized need to be updated or has gotten feedback that guest satisfaction is low. These types of updates are vital to the long term draw to the Disney cruise line.

@disneybaby2004

I had posted that link about a page or two back. Looks like more info is starting to trickle out. If the marvel news is true, my son is going to be thrilled!

It will be interesting to see what changes are made. I personally prefer the classic ships, but I do see where some updates would be good for the ship. We should know more on Friday. Whatever may come, I can't wait to set sail in October!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter