• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

From reading discussions elsewhere, it sounds like the ride needs fine tuning and testing time on a daily basis for a while until they get the kinks worked out and everything running smoothly on a consistent basis - so this might be a necessary step that can't be sped up with more money. They already do maintenance work after the park is closed, so there's a limit to how much they can do without changing opening times.

I'm glad they are announcing it so they don't have more disappointed guests. It would be very frustrating to not know what time it would open every day, if it was worth rope dropping, etc. I hope it's back to normal soon!

How is Universal going to handle people "camping" around the ride waiting for the moment it goes live?

I don't understand why they didn't follow the same opening protocol for Kong/Jimmy Fallon/Fast and the Furious where it opened, but they had signs out saying that it was still in the early stages of operation and to expect delays, certain elements not working, etc.

When the opening day was announced we made plans to come one week later on Friday June 21st, We are from out of town. Booked the hotel, planned a long weekend all around getting to go on this ride. Now it looks like there is a good chance we won't be able to do that. And can't get our money back for the hotel since within the no cancellation time period. They really messed up. Amateurish. Opening "midday".

My guess is they'll open whever they can, they just extended the window to noon. By then they may be closer (if not at) the normal time. Pretty sure you'll get to ride. Reminds me of when test track opened up originally.

Last edited:
Definitely tricky as they work things out - especially with the summer storms that roll through most every afternoon and have led to some significant downtime so far since opening. The ride was delayed/closed again today from around 3-6pm with storms and heavy rain. And again the ride was shown on the app as “at capacity” for the day as soon as it reopened. In hindsight, soft opening to address the issues could have been preferable to more time now where the ride might only be open to guests a few hours a day.

The area around the entrance has been pretty congested with people waiting during the closures - so guessing it’ll be similar for the late openings. Universal wants to get it right and has every reason to - and, honestly, seeing some of the people sitting in the extended queue this morning waiting in the sun for it to start running, it’s the right call. They didn’t look too happy to be there. But once onboard? Well - every person I saw flying by later had a huge smile - hopefully they get it there soon for everyone.

E0686805-C9B1-4275-9652-2E6A847C2055.jpeg

So glad the reviews have been good so far, even though there have been some delays. But, I expect it so I don't plan trips around attraction openings. I hope everyone going soon gets to ride and has a great experience! Thank you to all who have been keeping us updated so far!!

Unfortunately the ride needed work prior to it opening due to unseen circumstances and work was essential for it to be safe and operational, hence why we're here where we are now and they didn't want to delay the grand opening, because a lot of people like @jlprjlpr who booked this way ahead of time and I'm sure would have been more upset if it wasn't operating at all, let alone having delay openings for the day. Technically, they weren't and couldn't put up signs saying it was "early operational state", because this was it, the grand opening. However, they have no choice, but to now being front and honest about it, to lessen the blow to some guests. Also, this isn't just like Jaws constantly malfunctioning during the early days of USF, this is about safety.

"Big bonuses" isn't going to do anything. Maintenance is already being paid to work off hours and during non-operational hours. If the hours of operation increase at night, they're going to need more time to work on it afterward, hence why it's opening mid-day.

Unfortunately the ride needed work prior to it opening due to unseen circumstances and work was essential for it to be safe and operational, hence why we're here where we are now and they didn't want to delay the grand opening, because a lot of people like @jlprjlpr who booked this way ahead of time and I'm sure would have been more upset if it wasn't operating at all, let alone having delay openings for the day. Technically, they weren't and couldn't put up signs saying it was "early operational state", because this was it, the grand opening. However, they have no choice, but to now being front and honest about it, to lessen the blow to some guests. Also, this isn't just like Jaws constantly malfunctioning during the early days of USF, this is about safety.

"Big bonuses" isn't going to do anything. Maintenance is already being paid to work off hours and during non-operational hours. If the hours of operation increase at night, they're going to need more time to work on it afterward, hence why it's opening mid-day.

Anyway you want to spin it its still a major fail. Delaying open until noon and then shutting the line down hours before park close is a problem. Especially when capacity on this is easily one of the lowest in the park.

On some of the videos, I noticed what looked like some walkways, and even a wooden viewing platform where people could maybe stand. I just wondered whether there are plans to allow people to wander through this area, but more construction work is required to enable that.

I am glad that this new coaster is doing well for the park. It's great to see the Harry Potter fans love the new ride. IMO the made a mistake in getting rid of Dragon's Challenge when it was still one of the best rides in the park.

On some of the videos, I noticed what looked like some walkways, and even a wooden viewing platform where people could maybe stand. I just wondered whether there are plans to allow people to wander through this area, but more construction work is required to enable that.

I seriously doubt they'll let anyone near this ride in operation. I haven't watched the videos to know what you're referring to, but a lot of rides has those types of areas and are typically for workers to do work on the ride and/or for evacuation purposes if guests need to get off the ride when it breaks down (for a long duration of time).

I seriously doubt they'll let anyone near this ride in operation. I haven't watched the videos to know what you're referring to, but a lot of rides has those types of areas and are typically for workers to do work on the ride and/or for evacuation purposes if guests need to get off the ride when it breaks down (for a long duration of time).
This screenshot shows what I was referring to. Looks like a very wide pathway in the foreground, plus on the left is a wooden platform that looks a lot like some sort of viewing platform. You could be right that they are access paths, but the one in the foreground looks very wide for that.

This screenshot shows what I was referring to. Looks like a very wide pathway in the foreground, plus on the left is a wooden platform that looks a lot like some sort of viewing platform. You could be right that they are access paths, but the one in the foreground looks very wide for that.

View attachment 410046
Could be if the ride breaks down and they have to get guests off and walk out

View attachment 410046

To me it makes sense as an evacuation path if the ride breaks down (can't have it too small of a path if there's going to be a lot of guests on it), or the path might be needed to move equipment / maintenance like I said. However, I am surprised there isn't a railing on the side where it appears to drop off regardless whether it's TMs, or guests.

Either way, there's no way they'd allow guests in these areas while the ride is in motion, especially that close to the track. On the original ride, people's items dropped, injured people, and therefore we no longer was able to have items on us, they wouldn't even duel the dragons at the same time to prevent injury, and they had bars in the outside queue area on the side where the roller coaster was even though it was nowhere near the queue.

So, I cannot see them allowing guests on these paths unless it's to get guests off the ride if it breaks down, for maintenance, or transporting equipment.

Anyway you want to spin it its still a major fail. Delaying open until noon and then shutting the line down hours before park close is a problem. Especially when capacity on this is easily one of the lowest in the park.

What spin? It is just reality for a new ride. In an ideal situation, they would have had soft openings and worked all of this out. Because of issues they had, that was not possible, so in effect, they decided to chance it and just have the full opening.

That may be a mistake, but they are trying to make the best of it. You can assume this IS like a period of soft openings while still trying to let people who obviously do not understand how new rides, esp new rides of this type work

Instead of delaying the opening as they probably should have, they gave it a full opening that is obviously not working out as hoped.

Anyone who made plans to travel in for that one ride was delusional if they thought it would be perfect straight out of the box. Remember, they had a couple of teammember trials and I think a press event, but no soft openings like you would expect.

They will get it right, but it may be some time as they try to figure out how to fine tune it. Even in the state they have been running it, it seems to be doing remarkably well. Wait times are dropping daily.

The minute I realized they were waiting so long to do any kind of soft opening, I knew there were issues that would probably not be resolved right at first.

Frankly, I am amazed how well it has been doing. By the time I get there this fall, I am hoping all will be well. If not, no problem for me. There will be another time.

So, my guess is they rushed it open before Star Wars Land. :confused3

Could have been or it could have been because of not wanting to disappoint people already booked travelling in for the grand opening.

I personally think they should have delayed the opening by at least a week. They had no opportunity to test the ride under load, but they must have thought they could get the problems they were having fixed.

In an ideal situation, they would have had soft openings and worked all of this out. Because of issues they had, that was not possible, so in effect, they decided to chance it and just have the full opening.
We were there 6/10-6/14. On the 12th, the day before the official grand opening, lots of people just "camped out" in the area anticipating a soft opening. We even fell victim to the hype and hung around Hogsmeade a little longer than we planned. We saw and spoke with Youtuber Rix Flix, super nice guy. Glad we had the opportunity to thank him in person for his great tips and info about Universal. Ironically we had just used one of his tips about the outside seating area behind Three Broomsticks. Anyway, he was planning to hang around all day because they were most certainly going to have a soft opening at point in time right? They always do. Well now we know they didn't because of ongoing issues.

We did get to ride Hagrid's on opening day. Yeah, we're part of the 10 hour club, almost sounds crazy to say that out loud :scared1:. At one point in the queue we saw all three sets of motorbike cars come to a stop mid ride, out on the tracks. That was about an of hour ten hours, minus the 2 rain delays we had, hell we may have been riding within only 7-8 hours. Ha

Anyway I hope all the kinks get worked out soon. If anyone is going soon, I suggest you do whatever it take to ride because it is so much fun. We're big Disney fans but I have to say, Universal set the bar with this one.

Good luck to all

Yes, I believe this is correct too. They were working around the availability of HP cast to be there.
Could have been or it could have been because of not wanting to disappoint people already booked travelling in for the grand opening.

I personally think they should have delayed the opening by at least a week. They had no opportunity to test the ride under load, but they must have thought they could get the problems they were having fixed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter