Guide to Medical Care in DLP (Parks and Hotel)

Queenie

Mouseketeer
As no one seems to have written up anything detailed about the first aid facilities and medical care available at DLP, I thought I’d write this up as my first post. I’ve just returned from DLP for a New Year’s weekend trip with my housemate. Unfortunately I was struck down by that awful stomach flu that’s been going round so I didn’t get to do as much as I wanted. However it did put me in the position to write a bit about what’s available in case anyone is worried about the traeatment and care available.

Disneyland Park
Facilities:
First aid is just by Main St and is marked on the park maps clearly; it’s quite hidden when you’re actually looking for it though, presumably because a clearly visible medical area would detract from the magic. You first go into a very plush reception area where you are greeted by a doctor. Inside it’s very clean and looks like a small hospital ward with beds and curtains to shield the people in them from prying eyes. There are some pictures of the parks on the walls and old Disney film posters to look at. There are toilet facilities just near the beds. A little girl who was in at the same time as me was given a colouring book and crayons to entertain her while she got better.

Staff:
When we went there were two doctors, one was English and one was French. Although both could converse in the both languages, you were treated by whichever language you spoke, e.g. as I’m English, I was treated by the English doctor. This is a huge relief as it means you’re not trying to get across how ill you feel to someone who doesn’t speak English that great! All the doctors were very friendly. They were happily giving out advice to worried parents and told everyone to come straight back if they felt ill again. You never felt like you were wasting their time or that they wanted you to hurry up.

Treatment Etc:
They let you stay in there as long as you want to sleep and check in on you every 15/20 mins. I was given pain killers and some pills to stop the symptoms of the stomach flu and I was never charged for any of the health care or medication I was given even though I used a lot and was in there several hours. You’re pretty much left to your own devices but the staff are always nearby and come as soon as needed. It’s very quiet and peaceful with no noise at all from the parks so you can sleep off any sickness, especially as each bed has it’s own light that can be turned off. In reception you can get advice about where to buy baby food.

Walt Disney Studio’s Park
Facilities:
The first aid room in this park is to the left as you enter the park, before you go through Studio 1. As with the Disneyland Park it’s down a back alley (the back alley characters go down when they’ve finished their stint signing autographs). It too is laid out like a hospital ward but is slightly smaller than the first aid department in the other park. There are toilets and private beds for everyone with chairs for visitors to sit on by each bed. I saw some basic emergency equipment in case of severe accidents and there was what appeared to be a parking lot directly behind it that was always clear, probably an ambulance bay.

Staff:
One French doctor and one English doctor, again you were treated by the appropriate one. Again they were very nice and made you feel welcome. I was given water whenever I needed it and they checked in frequently to see how you were doing. They too were giving out advice to anyone who needed it, even during their lunch break.

Treatment Etc:
I didn’t need any pills this time but a woman next to me who had been badly injured by her car door was given pain killers immediately when she arrived. There was a ready supply of sick bags nearby and water was constantly available. You could stay as long as you needed to sleep it off in the dark beds. Again, no one got charged for any pills or medical care.

Hotels:
We stayed in the Explorer’s Hotel so this is based around that hotel’s procedures. I woke up in agony and my housemate had to get up and find help. He went down to reception who immediately called out for a local doctor. They took our room number and said he’d be there within an hour and they’d send him straight up.
The doctor arrived at our room after about 45 minutes. He did some basic tests (stethoscope, “say ahh” that kind of thing), then gave me a choice between a pain killing injection and a pill. As I was being sick I had to choose the injection - noooo! He also left me a few pills to take after half an hour or so. He wrote out a massive prescription (5 different types of drugs!) and filled in a form for our insurance without us having to ask (this was for his treatment and the prescription.) After he left my housemate took the prescription down to reception. They phoned a local pharmacy and had the drugs delivered to the hotel with a few hours. Only then did we notice the doctor had left all his equipment in our room, d’oh! This stuff did cost unfortunately, the doctor was 80 euros and the drugs around 40 euros but this should be covered by our travel insurance.

Hope that’s helped anyone with kids or those worried about what happens to you if any of your party gets sick during your stay. We were treated very well all the way through. And remember to buy travel insurance! I’ve never been so glad I spent £7!

Hope you are now feeling better.

Mods - could this be saved as a sticky :)

As a parent, so far not had to use the medical facilities, but this is useful reference.

Reid

and thanks for the info. It mustn't be much fun being ill at DLP but it is reassuring for the rest of us to know what good medical care is available if we ever need it (hopefully not).

This is some very useful information - what a good idea!

Many thanks and welcome to the DIS Queenie. :wave2:

Welcome to the boards, great to here your're feeling much better.

many thanks for the info & Happy New Year

Sorry to hear you were poorly, but glad you're feeling better now. We've been very lucky and didn't have to use the medical facilities at DLP, but did on our second visit to WDW in 2003. DS (then aged 13) walked into a thorn bush at Animal Kingdom when trying to avoid a lady pushing her child in a buggy. A large thorn (a good 1/2-1 inch) broke off and embedded itself deep in his leg. As you describe at DLP there was a lovely air conditioned First Aid post with beds, reception staff (nurses though, not doctors), however obviously mindful of the American litigation system we were offered a spray bottle of lignocaine (to freeze his leg), sterile swabs, antiseptic, tweezers, magnifying light and a scalpel! The nurse said she wasn't allowed remove the thorn herself, but would talk me through it or we could visit the nearest ER. I gave DS the choice and he opted for the DIY removal rather than miss out on a day at Disney! To cut a long story short, I eventually removed it without having to make too big an incision and I'm proud to say that there's not a mark to be seen now! We were given antibiotic cream to apply and advised to get a tetanus shot. No charge. Thank goodness it happened to DS - none of the girls (DD, Dnieces x2) would have coped with the ER never mind Mum/Aunt's DIY doctoring. We had to describe exactly where the bush was and the nurse reported it to staff for hedge trimming! needless to say, DS gives all thorn bushes a wide berth now!

Mrs Tony Toon :cheer2: :wizard:

Never saw this first time round - good bump!

My experience from this past trip:

- Phoned reception asking for a doc
- Minutes later a French first aider arrived and conversed with me via a translator on the phone
- Told a doc would be round in 45 mins, he came in 15
- He did his diagnosis and spoke very good English, he gave wrote prescription for three things and gave me his bill which I paid
- Took the list of stuff to reception to get, they said it would take 1-2 hours and that they'd leave a message on the room phone
- Waited 3 hours and nothing, went to the parks!
- Came back another 3 hours later and went staright to reception, they had arrived. On coming back to the room we found no message on the phone!

Costs:

Doctor's Fees - €80,00
Meds and 'fetching fee' - €19,00

The medical staff were very good, would have been cheaper for a doc call out after 9am apparently. However, reception staff were not so good - never called and left a message like they would and took far longer than they said they would.

Funnily enough Steve, it was your recent experience that made me seek this one out for a bump!

So after spending €99 the UK Pensions Department have decided that £9.85 is a suitable payout, shame my E111 couldn't help me get back the other £57, what a waste of time and effort - I spent more than £9.85 of my time filling in forms!

Thanks for bumping this thread really useful, I'm a dreadful worrier and wherever we go I always take an emergency drug stock with me, our hotel bathroom usually resembles a counter at Boots. Next time I'll have one less suitcase to carry. :earsgirl:

Steve
were you able to recover the balance through travel insurance ?

I always thought that E111 covered you, but your experience makes me wonder why bother with them :confused3

Reid

When we first went in 2000 my mum was very poorly outside the Disney Store in DV. She was very sick everywhere and within seconds there were people there to see if she was ok (she wasnt).

She and my step dad were driven off by a CM first aider and taken to see the onsite doctor who checked her over and then after a time gave her the all clear and she was driven back to our hotel.

We then received a call the next day to see if she needed anymore help.

Very very pleased with the service.

Who had called the first aider we are unsure or perhaps they were just walking round we dont know but thank goodness they were there.

After mum had been taken away i turned to another CM to ask to get me some cleaning stuff to clean the mess up and she said "dont worry its been cleaned away" and it was and it was spotless and no smell MAGICAL :tink:

Just proves that Disney really is magical! pixiedust:

mickey'sgirl, just hope that your mum managed to enjoy the rest of her holiday. :)

yes thank you she did manage to enjoy the rest of our time there.

we think it was a combination of tiredness, not haven eaten cause we were waiting for a table at a restuarant and also the excitment of everything. (she was 49 at the time!!) :)

Just giving this a little bump whilst I'm thinking of it in case anyone needs it. If anyone would like to add any info about other hotels or anything else they feel they can add, please feel free to PM me and I'll amend the OP.

Thanks for the bump!
I'm going in February with the most accident prone DH and DS2 cannot go for several weeks without being sick. I'll be making note of the first aid places before we go!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter