Guardians of the Galaxy for ride chickens

Now I’m nervous! Any big drops or backwards hills? Is there a fast launch?
I think it does go backwards - not sure if that part is a hill when it happens. It's definitely not backwards like Everest ( to me). Perhaps the cars just turn around and go the other way? I don't remember the feeling of big drops but you feel like you're flying disconnected in space (smoothly) and it feels like you're constantly turning but not spinning like the teacups. The car you're in feels very secure. I wasn't afraid but it was surprising. I wonder if you watch a point of view video on YouTube you could see how the ride moves. I find it much less "scary" than Space Mountain which is just dark and shaky lol.

Hey everyone. My family and I were lucky enough to get a boarding group for Guardians and I had done some light research on this ride before hand just making sure it didn't go upside down and to just get an idea of what we would be experiencing. I can easily handle rides like slinky, big thunder, test track, flight of passage. But everest for example is very borderline for me. Tower of terror or rock n roller coaster are too much. One of the biggest surprises for me was that it is a roller coaster. When reading about this ride online, I don't recall reading anything about it being a roller coaster. So I was a bit thrown off about this and therefore when I realized i was on a roller coaster, my anxiety and nerves kinda hit me. I'm partially glad I didn't know this in advance because I might not have gotten on at all. That being said, I did survive. It is intense most of the time, chaotic and loud and pretty dark. At some points you can see the track and how it turns and you realize you are pretty high up in the air. You do feel like your twisting and turning a lot and you cannot see much of where you are about to go next. So my thoughts on this is that i liked it but I don't know if I'd go on again because it did scare me. I honestly got off the ride saying OMG I can't believe I just rode that because it was different from what i expected. I honestly thought it was just a ride that goes along a track close to the floor and the seats tilt to the sides while going through different scenes and that it was fast. But for anyone who isn't sure about what they will be experiencing, I just wanted to give my thoughts so you aren't caught off guard if this isnt your thing. For the most part, my family of 6 enjoyed it except for my 13 year old son who was terrified and most wished they could go on it again.

On a side note, we booked our passes at 7am and i know how much the app is glitchy so I took a screen shot just in case and luckily I did because later on when I went back into the app, it only showed it for 5 of us and was missing one person. When I got to the boarding area, I spoke to a Cast member and explained to her what had happened and she didn't even ask to see the screen shot. She automatically took care of it and added the 6th person to our boarding group. Cast memebers are amazing!
Thank you for the heads up on Guardians.
I dont' do roller coasters either, and I would have been very disappointed (not to mention scared out of my mind) if I was on the ride and discovered that it was a dark coaster afterall!!! I also never heard of it being called a coaster either, but I don't follow along on some posts so I might have missed it.

You'll be perfectly fine. I'm in the same boat. I've done Everest a couple of times and it too is borderline for me. You'll love Guardians.

One of the CMs told me the storyline was planned for row 4. She said if you just want a coaster, ride in rows 1-3. If you want to be immersed in the story, ride in rows 4 to the back. I guess the earlier rows don't get turned around in time to see everything.

I rode this ride for the first time a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. There is a slight backwards hill at the end of the launch but it's not bad. The seats and restraints are incredibly comfortable while still feeling secure. I did not experience any air time and was amazed at how smooth the roller coaster was. For reference, I love coasters and ride all the coasters at Disney. I personally found BTM & SM to be much rougher than this ride.

Now, the person who rode with me had a different experience. He is not into coasters and typically waits while I ride them. Because of the hype surrounding this coaster, he decided to give it a go despite his reservations about it. Overall, he liked the ride and the music, but this was a one and done for him. He sat on the right side of the car and said it felt a lot more intense on that side of the car especially . . .

towards the end when the ride cars pivot and helix down around the moon

I only rode on the left side of the car so I don't have anything to compare it to, but on the left side I did not feel the intense pressure on my face or neck like he described.

I am not a huge roller coaster fan either. The first time I rode it I did see the track periodically throughout the ride. I found focusing on that to be good. I loved the ride. Ended up being able to get on the ride two more times that day. One of my favorite days in Disney (Best day ever!)

I would put this at a step below Everest and a step above Thunder Mountain. If you can do those, no worries on this.

As others have said, this is a smooth yet thrilling experience.

I rode this ride for the first time a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. There is a slight backwards hill at the end of the launch but it's not bad. The seats and restraints are incredibly comfortable while still feeling secure. I did not experience any air time and was amazed at how smooth the roller coaster was. For reference, I love coasters and ride all the coasters at Disney. I personally found BTM & SM to be much rougher than this ride.

Now, the person who rode with me had a different experience. He is not into coasters and typically waits while I ride them. Because of the hype surrounding this coaster, he decided to give it a go despite his reservations about it. Overall, he liked the ride and the music, but this was a one and done for him. He sat on the right side of the car and said it felt a lot more intense on that side of the car especially . . .

towards the end when the ride cars pivot and helix down around the moon

I only rode on the left side of the car so I don't have anything to compare it to, but on the left side I did not feel the intense pressure on my face or neck like he described.
I can see what he’s talking about, that was one of the more intense parts of the ride for me at first too. It wasn’t an issue on future rides though, I think as I continued to ride I had a better feel of what to expect, as a result the ride kinda slowed down for me, if that makes sense (this is also why I recommend watching ride vids if people are uneasy, it helps to get that perspective so you know what you’re in for). Not sure if that helps, I used to be the same way if i had bad initial experiences.

Now I’m nervous! Any big drops or backwards hills? Is there a fast launch?
There is a backwards launch into the main room of the ride, where the main tracks are. It's one of the most thrilling moments. It's so fun!
One of the CMs told me the storyline was planned for row 4. She said if you just want a coaster, ride in rows 1-3. If you want to be immersed in the story, ride in rows 4 to the back. I guess the earlier rows don't get turned around in time to see everything.
Interesting. We were in the middle of the train every time we rode it this last trip, and it was perfect! Rows 3/4 and 5/6.

If you're nervous, I'd ask to sit in the middle. From the front you can't always see where you're headed, and the back whips you around a bit more. If you can do Space and EE, you owe yourself a chance to try GotG, too.

I almost blacked out on the one time I rode it. We were in the back, which I've read is much more intense than the front. I really did feel awful during the ride - so if you have any motion issues, ask for the front?

What's interesting for Guardians, is that while it is pretty fast (and smooth), I think it's the tone that changes the feel of the ride, making it less scary. The cool, 80's music kind of makes one feel different. It's like how they changed Tower of Terror at California Adventure. When it was ToT it had this sense of forboding, and people would hold their breath and scream as they drop. It felt "scary" so to sepak. Now that it's Guardians Mission Breakout, it's like a party in an elevator! People laugh and seat-dance, and it feels less tense, even thought he ride motion is the same. It's amazing how that tone makes such a difference.

It's not rough at all, but it has some serious G force. If you have neck issues, I would strongly consider skipping this one.

We were on it last March. I hated every second and will never go again. To me it was too jerky back and forth, up and down, too unpredictable, too loud, too everything. I love tower of terror and rock and roll roller coaster but hate Everest and space mountain. I was nauseous for an hour after.
Nothing worse than nausea at the parks from a ride. Will never to Mission Space again.

I have no issues on Tower of Terror or Space Mountain, but can't do Star Tours due to getting motion sickness feelings. From those who have ridden Guardians, how would you compare the motion part to Star Tours or a similar ride? Trying to decide if I should skip it or try a motion sickness med which I haven't ever done before. Thanks!

I have no issues on Tower of Terror or Space Mountain, but can't do Star Tours due to getting motion sickness feelings. From those who have ridden Guardians, how would you compare the motion part to Star Tours or a similar ride? Trying to decide if I should skip it or try a motion sickness med which I haven't ever done before. Thanks!
I'm honestly not sure how to compare Guardians and Star Tours - they're so different for me. I found Guardians motion to not be a problem. That being said, though, my wife did have issues and is hesitant to do it again without motion meds - I know she would recommend you take them before riding. I rode it maybe 6 times so far, and I will say it was quite common for someone to be sitting on the benches at the exit needing a minute after getting off Guardians.

Star Tours is quite “jerky” but it’s very difficult to compare the two. Guardians is smooth but intense. If you do get motion sickness I’d probably recommend taking something for it before getting on this ride, or try not to focus on the screens. The ride is pretty fun even with just the music and the movement.

Funny enough I can’t do ToT or SM. Once and done for me on both. One is too scary, the other is too expensive in chiropractic bills.

I don't enjoy the unpredictability of TOT, but I can ride it. Space Mountain hurts my back, but otherwise fine. I have no issues with Start Tours.

GOTG isn't like any of these exactly. It does have unpredictability, which is part of what I don't like about it. You are on a roller coaster track, but the car rotates. So you aren't going forward or backward all the time, you are going sideways, then forward, then sideways the other way, etc. It is very fast but also very smooth. It's not comparable to Space Mountain or Star Tours at all. DH says it's like drifting in a car (if you know what that is).

Honestly, I said to DH if I could take a valium or something before I ride I'd probably be fine (joking, of course). It didn't make me nauseous, just disoriented. My brain couldn't figure out what was happening. I couldn't wait for it to be over (I thought it was a long ride) and closed my eyes for most of it, but I'm willing to try it again because so many people love it. My family said it's now their favorite ride in WDW.

For the record, I will not ride Forbidden Journey or Gringotts again at Universal. Those, to me, are similar to GOTG (Gringotts more than FJ). FJ isn't a coaster, but it has that rotation/unpredictability that I don't enjoy.

The majority of my group laughed hysterically on it...my father in law? Not so much-but he is prone to motion sickness and told me he "didn't need" the bonine I offered him(and took myself). I had no issues...he was out of commission for a bit. The rest of us loved it and would have rode it again in a heartbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter