Guarantee Status vs. IGT/OGT/VGT

Thought I understood it all when I read it, and then this came up when I was researching my cruise...

View attachment 163908

This is IGT? Not GTY? I thought it was GTY until I put it in my cart and saw the Category code. This stateroom was significantly cheaper than the inside stateroom option to choose my own stateroom.
"GTY" is what happens when a certain percentage of rooms within a specific category have been booked. You can book the category (example 4A, or 9C, etc) but DCL will assign you a room within your category or higher later. The cost for this guarantee booking is the same as if you booked a specific room.

"*GT" (or, as in your case IGT) is a last minute restricted fare. You book a type of room (Interior) for a lower cost than the prevailing rate. And DCL will assign you an interior room (or better) at a later date. The cost for this type of guarantee room is lower than the prevailing rate.

Can anyone tell me how close to sailing date they usually give the stateroom numbers for GTY cabins?

Thank you

Can anyone tell me how close to sailing date they usually give the stateroom numbers for GTY cabins?

Thank you
Depends - GTY (where you actually have specific category, as in GTY 9C, or GTY 4A) assignment are typically done about 45-60 days out.

Last minute *GT (where you have a type of room, not a specific category) assignments are generally about 14 days out, usually on a Tuesday.

Thank you PrincessShmoo

Mine is category specific GTY 9B in the magic.

I didn't even understand that was what I booked.

I'm secretly hoping for an upgrade but I think highly unlikely on our Mediterranean cruise but I will still be very happy with what I booked so it's all good either way

Newbie here, trying to understand all the acronyms and what they mean for me. We booked a week ago and were given details by the TA. My reservation would be guaranteed? This is for 8/18/2017.

Category: 06B
Cruise Itinerary: 3-Night Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral
Stateroom: 7682
Deck: 7
Description: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

Last edited:
Newbie here, trying to understand all the acronyms and what they mean for me. We booked a week ago and were given details by the TA. My reservation would be guaranteed? This is for 8/18/2017.

Did you book a GTY status room? They usually have a specific (slightly cheaper rate). Or did you book a regular room where you were able to chose your cabin? If it's he latter, then your room is not a "Guarantee" status room per this discussion. Here is the definition of a Guarantee room (taken from the first page):

What is Guarantee Status?

Guarantee Status means that when you book a particular category, Disney is not able to assign you a stateroom number at the time of booking. As you get closer to your sail date, Disney will assign you a room number. You can end up in anystateroom that is in the category you booked. However, at their discretion, Disney may upgrade you. It's not necessarily likely that you'll receive an upgrade - but it is possible.

Did you book a GTY status room? They usually have a specific (slightly cheaper rate).
Not exactly. Once a certain percentage of rooms within a category are sold, the category goes GTY. You can still select the category, but DCL will assign a room at a later date. The cost for a GTY reservation is the same as for a reservation where you select a specific room.

If a cruise isn't selling well, DCL may offer last-minute restricted fares (IGT, OGT, VGT). These do come at a reduced cost from the prevailing rates, but you can only select a type (Interior, Oceanview, Verandah) of room, not a category (4A, 6B, 9C, whatever). Again, DCL will assign the room at a later date.

I'm figuring your original paperwork for the reservation said 06B GTY? If so, now you've been assigned a room.

All reservations are "guaranteed" in the sense that you won't be denied boarding, you have definitely reserved a spot for you/family onboard the ship.

"Guarantee" in the sense of this thread is a type of reservation that doesn't book a specific stateroom. It looks as though your reservation (as are most) is for a specific stateroom -- 7682. Once a certain # or % of rooms are booked, DCL has the category go to "GTY" status, which essentially means at that point you may no longer select a specific stateroom when booking but you are guaranteed that category or higher. So if you booked a 6A GTY, for example, DCL will assign you a stateroom that is in category 6A, 5E, 5D, 5C, 5B, 5A, 4E, 4D, 4C, 4B or 4A (or presumably concierge but that's quite a long-shot). Other times, DCL has special last-minute discounted offers IGT (Interior Guarantee), OGT (Oceanview Guarantee) or VGT (Verandah Guarantee) and you book one of these broader categories and allow DCL to assign a stateroom in the broad category or higher.

But, again, it doesn't appear this pertains to your booking as you have a stateroom assigned already.

Enjoy your cruise!

I booked a Verandah (VGT) guaranteed cabin for the Fantasy on July 30th last month for our first Disney cruise. From reading everyone's post, it looks like Disney will probably assign us a cabin between 9 - 16 days out from our cruise. From everyone's experience, what is the average category assigned to these guaranteed cabins?

But strailys1 was asking about a VGT, not a GTY.

Typically those room assignments are done around 10-14 days out. It's hard to say what you may get, since verandahs have several different categories. Could be any of them.

Oops! My bad! Thanks for pointing that out!

Is DCL still offering IGT, etc? The last several times I've checked, I haven't seen any available. Is there a different way to find them since the website is different than it once was?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!