Groceries at CVS????

clh2

<font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my
Does CVS sell eggs?

I know - an odd question:lmao: There is a CVS close to DD's campus, and on weekends, the cafeterias do not open until 11:00. Since I am going to a Tupperware party this week - I am wondering if I should get DD a "microwave omelet maker". If she can't get eggs easily - it won't be a good idea. (It would be a bonus if they sold "6-packs" of eggs, as opposed to a dozen.) This weekend - a group of them made pancakes, as someone she knows has an illegal electric fry pan in the dorms.

Sorry - I just don't know - I don't live close to a CVS, so I've never been in one.

There really isn't a grocery store close to campus - so that is why I'm specifically asking about CVS.

Mine sells the basics..which includes, milk, eggs and butter

Thanks!!!

By any chance - (would have mentioned this before but I forgot;)) Do they sell grated cheese? An omelet without cheese - simly un-American:lmao:

Why don't you look up the CVS close to her campus and call them and ask?

I don't shop at CVS or similar type drug stores. I go in those types of places maybe once every two years at best. However, when DD was away at a pre-college camp one time, there was a CVS across the street. I was surprised by all the food items she was able to buy in there. I remember questioning at the time if that was typical of all drug stores or if ones that anchor college campuses up the amount of food considering their student based clientele. I'm betting they carry more food items for the college kids but I am just guessing. Good luck!

Is there a Target close by? They sell most groceries.

My mom stops buy CVS if she is near one to buy eggs because they are usually 99 cents a dozen there.....about 20 cents cheaper than Walmart and about a buck cheaper than the grocery store.

Thanks!!!

By any chance - (would have mentioned this before but I forgot;)) Do they sell grated cheese? An omelet without cheese - simly un-American:lmao:

I do think I have seen cheese too. But the best way to confirm would be to just call the specific CVS.Then you know for sure.

I have seen items like that vary greatly from store to store so I would find out what that one carries..being near a campus they possibly cater to the college crowd with some staples like cheese, eggs, milk..etc.

Can she not plan in advance and go to a regular grocery store once a week (or every couple weeks) for perishables like eggs, cheese..etc? I ask only because you tend to pay a premium price for the "convenience" factor..eggs are often 2-3x the cost vs the grocery store.

Walgreens sells eggs, if there is one near her. When on sale, they go down to 99¢. However, the amount of eggs the store has may vary. So, as someone else mentioned, call the drugstore near DD and see how much they usually get in.

Can she not plan in advance and go to a regular grocery store once a week (or every couple weeks) for perishables like eggs, cheese..etc? I ask only because you tend to pay a premium price for the "convenience" factor..eggs are often 2-3x the cost vs the grocery store.

Not true. Those items ON SALE will be cheaper than even the sales at grocery stores. The reason drugstores sell eggs and some other groceries often cheaper than at the supermarket is because these items are called "Loss leaders." They lead the people into the stores at the ultra-cheap price, and the store takes the loss as people may stay to shop for other items they need.

I always buy my cans of Folgers coffee & Jif peanut butter and a few other groceries at the drugstores as the sales there are much cheaper. :thumbsup2

PLUS, CVS and Walgreens are chain drugstores. So their sales prices tend to be the same across the nation, or the particular region.

Walgreens sells eggs, if there is one near her. When on sale, they go down to 99¢. However, the amount of eggs the store has may vary. So, as someone else mentioned, call the drugstore near DD and see how much they usually get in.

Not true. Those items ON SALE will be cheaper than even the sales at grocery stores. The reason drugstores sell eggs and some other groceries often cheaper than at the supermarket is because these items are called "Loss leaders." They lead the people into the stores at the ultra-cheap price, and the store takes the loss as people may stay to shop for other items they need.

I always buy my cans of Folgers coffee & Jif peanut butter and a few other groceries at the drugstores as the sales there are much cheaper. :thumbsup2

PLUS, CVS and Walgreens are chain drugstores. So their sales prices tend to be the same across the nation, or the particular region.

Maybe not true for you..but true for me. I can get eggs for 99 cents at the grocery store and would pay over $2.00 a dozen at Walgreens for them. Believe me..I work the ads in my area and eggs/milk/cheese and other food items are almost never (if ever) cheaper at the drugstores compared to the grocery store.

You are also mistaken about chains and pricing..I can go to Safeway (Vons) in SoCal and the prices are NOT on par with the prices at my local Safeway (way more expensive in SoCal than here for some items)..so it is incorrect and inaccurate to think the prices in NY are the same as the prices in say New Mexico or even between two states in the same region. It is well known that cost of living..including groceries vary greatly based on where someone lives and stores do not have the same prices across the board from state to state (heck in some instances not even city to city). I have seen this when people talk about what they per gallon for milk..some can get it for $1.57 a gallon (me) and some it is on sale at $3.59 a gallon (for example)

OP, here is the regional flyer for CVS this week. I don't know what region your DD is in, so you will have to change the regional flyer to her area:

http://weeklyad.cvs.com/cvs/default.aspx?action=entryflash&storeref=2168

If you did some research you would see if you plug in zips for different areas the prices (and sale items) drastically change..my ad have a couple of the items in the ad you posted (at different prices) and a whole slew of products that are different.

I have found that the CVS and Walgreens near student housing carry a lot in the way of groceries...and yes in some instances it may be more expensive but its still less expensive than taking a taxi somewhere for groceries.

I would call the specific one with the list of what you are wondering about.

Liz

I have found that the CVS and Walgreens near student housing carry a lot in the way of groceries...and yes in some instances it may be more expensive but its still less expensive than taking a taxi somewhere for groceries.

I would call the specific one with the list of what you are wondering about.

Liz

That's been my friends experience..he went back to college in his 30s and found that some of the drug stores nearby (this is in S Cal) sell some minor food items but they are more often than not more than the store cost. In his case he has 2 grocery stores within biking distance of his apartment (near campus) so he just bikes over..depending on the region and such the students might have their own cars but the gas/distance might not be worth the trek..it's why I asked about planning in advance to have some staples..depending on what they need it might necessitate only the occasional trip to a "big" grocery store to help offset costs.

Maybe not true for you..but true for me. I can get eggs for 99 cents at the grocery store and would pay over $2.00 a dozen at Walgreens for them. Believe me..I work the ads in my area and eggs/milk/cheese and other food items are almost never (if ever) cheaper at the drugstores compared to the grocery store.

You are also mistaken about chains and pricing..I can go to Safeway (Vons) in SoCal and the prices are NOT on par with the prices at my local Safeway (way more expensive in SoCal than here for some items)..so it is incorrect and inaccurate to think the prices in NY are the same as the prices in say New Mexico or even between two states in the same region. It is well known that cost of living..including groceries vary greatly based on where someone lives and stores do not have the same prices across the board from state to state (heck in some instances not even city to city). I have seen this when people talk about what they per gallon for milk..some can get it for $1.57 a gallon (me) and some it is on sale at $3.59 a gallon (for example)

The OP's DD is not going to be shopping or looking at other REGIONS of the country when buying her eggs. :rotfl: She only has to look at the prices in her specific REGION and compare to the grocery stores in her SAME REGION. It doesn't matter what YOU get in So CA, if she doesn't live there. In HER area, she MAY find that the prices of the loss leaders of the national chain stores are better than the smaller local supermarkets as the manufacturers have bulk deals or whatever with the larger national chains which help make them competitive with the supermarkets in the SAME region.

That is why I said to the OP she has to input the info for where her DD lives to find her regional sales flyer.

The OP's DD is not going to be shopping or looking at other REGIONS of the country when buying her eggs. :rotfl: She only has to look at the prices in her specific REGION and compare to the grocery stores in her SAME REGION. It doesn't matter what YOU get in So CA, if she doesn't live there. In HER area, she MAY find that the prices of the loss leaders of the national chain stores are better than the smaller local supermarkets as the manufacturers have bulk deals or whatever with the larger national chains which help make them competitive with the supermarkets in the SAME region.

That is why I said to the OP she has to input the info for where her DD lives to find her regional sales flyer.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying. My statement was that your are inaccurate to claim that prices are the same in a region or across the nation simply because a location is part of a national chain. That is not accurate or true..prices vary tremendously from state to state..even city to city in major chain stores. What I pay here and what my friend pays in S Cal are vastly different..same store, same product.

Also what I was trying to explain as well is that in your area eggs/milk (or other items like peanut butter) might be inexpensive at the drugstores but that is NOT the case here..eggs are easily double the price..milk usually at least a dollar more..etc and that possibly could be the case for a location near a college as well and also suggested the OP contact a store in that area to get a feel for prices because what you or I tell her they sell or the cost is not necessarily accurate for her area.

I have seen items like that vary greatly from store to store so I would find out what that one carries..being near a campus they possibly cater to the college crowd with some staples like cheese, eggs, milk..etc.

We have one in the next town over which also happens to be a college town - (a very small college but still a college) and they stock all the basics, bread, milk, eggs, butter, cheese and that quintessential college food - Pizza! oh and ice cream gotta have ice cream...:rotfl: And despite the grocery store being directly across the street they do a good business in these items with them frequently on sale for the same or lower price than the grocery store.

Is your DD @ college already?

Have her take a walk over to the CVS and eyeball what they have in the form of "basics" and, if she's willing, even jot down some prices so you guys have an idea of what's a decent buy @ CVS & what's not. Then you'll know what she could reasonably purchase there and what would need to be supplied when Mom comes to visit and does a "big shop". ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter