Greetings From England !! Updated 5/6 - Mission Completed - The Votes Are In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent updates, as usual Linda!! That's awesome that you got to go on Soarin before the park opened! We had the same thing happen to us on our last trip - it was such a wonderful magic moment! Your meal at Tangierine Café looks so yummy! It's nice that they have such a wonderful meal for vegetarians.

I love Beaches and Cream!! We have been there twice. Once my family got the Kitchen Sink - oh my goodness, was that thing ever huge! The next time we ordered burgers (which are amazing!) and then got the individual sundaes. Such a nice place to relax and eat ice cream. :cloud9:

I'm very excited to hear your review of the Tusker House! I was a huge fan of the Tusker House when it was counter service, but I haven't been there for a table service meal.

I :love: Tangierine Café! They cater so well to both meat and non-meat eaters.

Totally agree - it got a big thumbs up from us :thumbsup2

I love Beaches and Cream!! We have been there twice. Once my family got the Kitchen Sink - oh my goodness, was that thing ever huge! The next time we ordered burgers (which are amazing!) and then got the individual sundaes. Such a nice place to relax and eat ice cream. :cloud9:

I need to gatecrash another families Kitchen Sink party as I don't think even me and DH could manage that between us :rotfl2:

[size=+1]Hello everyone, hope your week is going well :goodvibes

Today I am excited as I get to tell you about the one and only time on the entire trip that I got to sit down and have a proper breakfast

Now I love breakfast, best meal of the day etc etc, but DH usually can’t face it (at least until he has been awake and active for a while)

We had never tried a character meal before and I really wanted to give it a go at least once so I asked DH if he would be up for an early start and a character breakfast when I was planning my ADRs ………….. ‘Sure’ he said (bless him, I’m sure he wasn’t keen) so I made reservations quickly before he changed his mind :laughing:

When I originally made our ADR for Tusker House the park was due to open at 9am and we had an ADR for 8.20am. Perfect , we’ll be able to get into the park before the masses, get some cool photos and head to breakfast at a leisurely pace. Unfortunately, a few weeks before our trip the park hours changed meaning that AK would be opening at 8am on the day of our visit. Oh well, no drama as this would mean that the Fast Pass machines would open at 8am and we could grab FPs for Kilimanjaro Safaris which is right next to Tusker House before Breakfast and ride it later in the day :thumbsup2

We arrived at AK at 7.35am and made our way over to the separate Donald’s Safari Breakfast entrance but the CMs were telling everyone with reservations that they wouldn’t be able to enter the park until after the rope drop show. People were not happy with this as some of them had ADRs for 8.05am and knew that they would end up getting caught up in the crowds on their way to the restaurant.

The CMs started to let all guests through the turnstiles at the same time and everyone took up their positions behind the rope to wait for the show to start. We headed over to the left hand side so that we would be able to head straight to Tusker House after the show. When we stopped behind the rope a CM asked us where we were heading first and when we told them we had a breakfast ADR they lifted the rope and let us straight in. I’m not sure why the other CMs didn’t do this but hey, it was great for us as we walked into an empty park before the show had even started

Whilst we were standing in front of the Tree Of Life taking pictures a CM approached us with a group of about 10 other guests and asked us if we would like to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris before the park officially opened ………Err, yeah :banana:

Sorry, I am going a little off topic again here but following our early morning ride on Soarin’ the day before we couldn’t believe our luck

There were loads of animals out and about and this guy was roaring and growling away in the sunshine

IMG_0458-1.jpg

How amazing, it’s not often you see a lion before breakfast :cloud9:

Anyway, let’s get you guys over to Tusker House, you must be starving!!

IMG_0476-1-1.jpg

When you check in at Tusker House you first stop is to get your photo taken with Donald outside the restaurant

IMG_0460-1.jpg

A CM actually took this picture for us with our own camera so you don’t have to buy the photo package if you don’t want to (we did buy it as it was a lovely picture)

Once we got inside the restaurant we were taken to a great little table which was situated in a small side room at the edge of the restaurant. There were only 5 tables in this little area but there were cut out openings at the edge of our table so we could look out over the entire restaurant but felt that you were in a nice, calm, secluded area. It really was the perfect table and DH looked slightly relieved that he wasn’t in the chaotic environment he was expecting

Our server was just wonderful by the way, she delivered us coffee and juice (she left the coffee jug on the table for us) and told us that the characters wouldn’t be with us for at least 10 mins so we had plenty of time to hit the buffet and wow, what a buffet it is

I can’t think of a single breakfast option that wasn’t available and I was really impressed with how well presented everything was and how quickly the CMs replenished and empty dishes

I knew exactly what I wanted to track down first

IMG_0461-1.jpg

Mickey Waffles

Soon I was back at our table with this yummy selection

IMG_0462-1.jpg

Here is DHs plate

IMG_0463-1.jpg

Everything was well cooked and tasty. I loved my oatmeal as this is my usual breakfast at home and I had really missed it. The Mickey Waffles was delicious and the fruit was fresh and juicy.

DH said that his bacon, eggs and sausage were great and I was amazed at how quickly he cleared his plate. See you should have breakfast every day!!

Our server arrived back at the table to tell us that the characters were on their way and it was so cool to be sitting in this little side room when they arrived

Here are a couple of quick pics

IMG_04682-1.jpg

IMG_04652-1.jpg

After we had met all of the characters we headed back to the buffet for more food

Here is what DH came back with

IMG_0473-1.jpg

Where on earth did he get the idea of eating donuts for breakfast?

IMG_0267-1.jpg

Here is my second plate

IMG_0472-1.jpg

I just had to have another Mickey Waffle

I also grabbed some more Oatmeal which for some strange reason I added fruit loops to? I had never tried them before and was curious to see what they were like …. And the verdict – Yuk

IMG_0471-1.jpg

When we were full to bursting we settled our bill, paid for our photo package and our wonderful server presented us with a lovely little cupcake which I enjoyed later that day with a Cappuccino from Kusafiri Bakery

IMG_0490-1.jpg

This breakfast far exceeded our expectations and even DH couldn’t stop talking about how much he had enjoyed it. The food was great, the characters were fun and I think that the location of our table played a big part in it not feeling overwhelming and chaotic

So Tusker House definitely gets a huge thumbs up and 5 out of 5 :thumbsup2

Next up – My boy wants some ribs[/size]​

Still reading and enjoying!:thumbsup2

I, too, was a big fan of Tusker House counter service, and have not yet tried the new breakfast there, but have heard nothing but raves! Happy to hear that your experience supports that!

I have enjoyed all of your reviews, and share your love for Beaches & Cream (they have GREAT burgers - your hubby must try them next time), Kona (I have been missing their filet - thanks for the pork chop tip!), and Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD. I've only been to Tangierine Cafe once, but agree that they are a great counter service option, too.

I love that you got Soarin' and Safari early morning magic!:banana:

Looking forward to the rest!

Love your Tusker House and Beaches and Cream reviews! :goodvibes

We have yet to try Tusker House. Guess we need to get comfortable with buffets first! ;) But everything looks really yummy! I wish we would be able to get up early enough to make it to a safari before breakfast! :lmao:

Beaches and Cream is one of our favourites too! It is our tradition to get a Kitchen Sink the first day we meet Mary Ellen and Joe. Did they bring one out while you were there? It's HUGE!!!! but yummy!

Can't wait for the ribs!

More great reviews, just trying to decide how I can fit in WPE and Beaches&Cream in October.

My food at Morocco didn't look as nice as yours, had the mini taster selection and it was tasteless.

Great photos.

It's been a while. Time to catch up!

Kona: I call the bread service...Kona Crack. I bet you understand why. :rotfl2:
And it looks like they changed the crab cake appetizer since I had that in October!
DSCN0103.jpg

There wasn't too much breading on mine when I ordered that in October. (I was eating at the sushi bar.) I thought it was fantastic. And I'm glad to see the pork chop is still consistently good! My mom raved about that being the Best.Pork Chop.Ever. I tasted it and agreed that it rocked. I had entree regret and envy. :laughing:

Beaches and Cream: I've had a No Way José as my dinner before. :rolleyes1
It's so huge that I went in with that plan in mind.

Tusker House: I keep meaning to eat there again. I'm one of those who only ate there when it was counter service. I think it looks fantastic.

Great Tusker House review, it looks really fun!

It is really good fun in there - the characters were great :cool1:

Still reading and enjoying!:thumbsup2

I, too, was a big fan of Tusker House counter service, and have not yet tried the new breakfast there, but have heard nothing but raves! Happy to hear that your experience supports that!

I have enjoyed all of your reviews, and share your love for Beaches & Cream (they have GREAT burgers - your hubby must try them next time), Kona (I have been missing their filet - thanks for the pork chop tip!), and Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD. I've only been to Tangierine Cafe once, but agree that they are a great counter service option, too.

I love that you got Soarin' and Safari early morning magic!:banana:

Looking forward to the rest!

Thanks for reading. DH is very keen to try a B&C burger :thumbsup2

Love your Tusker House and Beaches and Cream reviews! :goodvibes

We have yet to try Tusker House. Guess we need to get comfortable with buffets first! ;) But everything looks really yummy! I wish we would be able to get up early enough to make it to a safari before breakfast! :lmao:

Beaches and Cream is one of our favourites too! It is our tradition to get a Kitchen Sink the first day we meet Mary Ellen and Joe. Did they bring one out while you were there? It's HUGE!!!! but yummy!

Can't wait for the ribs!

I soooo want to see the Kitchen Sink :) I think it's gonna be a 'No Way Jose' for me next time :banana:

More great reviews, just trying to decide how I can fit in WPE and Beaches&Cream in October.

My food at Morocco didn't look as nice as yours, had the mini taster selection and it was tasteless.

Great photos.

Thanks :thumbsup2 and thanks for taking the time to read :thumbsup2

It's been a while. Time to catch up!

Kona: I call the bread service...Kona Crack. I bet you understand why. :rotfl2:
And it looks like they changed the crab cake appetizer since I had that in October!

There wasn't too much breading on mine when I ordered that in October. (I was eating at the sushi bar.) I thought it was fantastic. And I'm glad to see the pork chop is still consistently good! My mom raved about that being the Best.Pork Chop.Ever. I tasted it and agreed that it rocked. I had entree regret and envy. :laughing:

Beaches and Cream: I've had a No Way José as my dinner before. :rolleyes1
It's so huge that I went in with that plan in mind.

Tusker House: I keep meaning to eat there again. I'm one of those who only ate there when it was counter service. I think it looks fantastic.

Looking at your picture of the crab cakes it has certainly changed. How was the sushi bar? We'd like to try it out some time

Love the review of Tusker House. We are celebrating ds's 8th birthday there. We have an early ADR before park opening....maybe we will get a quick ride on the safari before breakfast....my ds would be in heaven!

How is Fantasia mini golf? And is it a super far walk from Epcot? Thanks!

Mmmm that Tusker House breakfast looks fab. I may have to add that to my trip next year, no room for anymore adr's in June! :lmao:

[size=+1]Hello everyone :wave2:

So following our yummy breakfast at Tusker House we continued our tour of Animal Kingdom, mainly checking out the Animal Exhibits that we didn't have time to see on our earlier visit

We stopped off near Expedition Everest for a couple of Photo Pass pics (forgive me for posting them but I really like how they turned out)

Image0195-1.jpg

Image0219-2.jpg

All this pretending to be international supermodels was thirsty work :rotfl2: so we headed to Yak & Yeti to go to get some drinks. There is a small kiosk that sells drinks next to the main restaurant and here is what I chose

IMG_0504-1.jpg

Yak Attack - Mango Daiquiri, Bacardi Light Rum, and Wildberry Flavours for me and a Coke for DH

Ooh this was good and just what was needed on a hot day :thumbsup2

Once we had seen everything that we wanted to at AK we headed off to Winter Summerland for the final round of the mini-golf challenge.

Now regular readers will probably be aware that I am currently 3-0 down (yeah who cares about mini-golf anyway :rolleyes1) so I was only playing for pride but at last I managed a victory :banana:

I like to think it is because I was powered by Yak Attack :lmao:

After freshening up back at the hotel we decided to head out for dinner.

DH was craving ribs and we remembered that we had a great meal at Tony Roma’s on our last visit so that’s where we headed

Although we arrived at the restaurant fairly early in the evening it was already busy. Most of the other parties waiting to be seated were quite large groups and as there was just the two of us we were seated within 5 minutes

Our server brought us some menus are took our drinks order

Coke for DH and a Bahama Mama for me

IMG_0561-1.jpg

Bahama Mama, White Rum, Coconut Rum, Banana Liquor & Pineapple Juice

Although I enjoyed this I did think that it was a little too sweet

After we had chosen our Entrees (neither of us felt like an appetizer) our server bought us some warm sourdough bread with garlic butter and a jug of iced water (sorry no pic)

The bread was great, really fresh but neither of us are fans of garlic butter so we just ate the bread on its own

Soon our entrees arrived, first up here is DHs

IMG_0562-1.jpg

The Original Baby Back Ribs Basted With Tony Roma’s Original Sauce, Coleslaw and Loaded Mash Potatoes

DH loves ribs and he really enjoyed these. He tells me that the sauce was delicious and the meat just fell off the bone. The loaded mash potatoes had bacon, onion and cream cheese in them and the coleslaw was fresh and creamy. A big thumbs up from DH for this meal :thumbsup2

And here’s mine

IMG_0563-1.jpg

Grilled Norwegian Salmon With Tomato & Pesto Salad, Broccoli and Rice

Again a big thumbs up from me. It was a very simple meal but also full of flavour. The tomato and pesto salad was a great accompaniment to the salmon which was perfectly cooked. The broccoli was nice and firm (I hate over cooked vegetables) and the rice was light and tasty

Neither of us wanted desert so we settled our bill and headed back to the hotel

So it’s a full popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:: out of popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:: for Tony Roma’s

Coming Up Next – Back To The Magic Kingdom[/size]

You reviewed two places I have been wanting to try- Beaches & Cream and Tusker House. My sis says she's done with character buffets but I will show her your pics and try to convince her otherwise, for just one last one! :laughing:

Looking at your picture of the crab cakes it has certainly changed. How was the sushi bar? We'd like to try it out some time

The sushi was adequate. Not bad, but nothing to wow me. I like the sushi at California Grill better. And I'm sorry you didn't have my crab cakes. You might have enjoyed them more! :rolleyes:

[size=+1]Happy Friday :yay:

It’s a public holiday in the UK on Monday so a nice long weekend is ahead :cheer2:

Today we are heading back to the Magic Kingdom for the day, and what a great day it was

Image0247-1.jpg

'Wow how did she get there?'

We had arrived for rope drop on our previous visit and the lines for the attractions and crowds were small so the idea today was to let the early morning rush ease and then tour the park at a nice leisurely pace

Soon we found ourselves in Adventure land and I just couldn’t resist getting one of these

IMG_1584-1.jpg

Dole Whip – Pineapple Swirl :cloud9:

MK was certainly busy today and as it approached lunch time the lines for food looked huge.

I had remembered reading on the DIS that Columbia Harbour House had an upstairs seating area which tends to get overlooked at busy times so we decided to head over there

Once we had ordered our food we made our way over to the stairs which were roped off so that CMs could make sure that you had collected your food before taking a seat

I couldn’t believe how empty it was upstairs. It was soooo busy downstairs and every other restaurant was packed so this place is a really great little find (Thanks DISers :thumbsup2)

We got a table next to the window so that we could watch the world go by in Liberty Square

Here is what DH ordered

IMG_1610-1.jpg

Fried Shrimp Basket - Served with Coleslaw and French Fries

He really enjoyed this and was impressed with the quality and quantity. It was quite obviously freshly cooked and the breading on the shrimp was excellent

And for me

IMG_1614-1.jpg

Anchors Aweigh Sandwich - white tuna with lettuce and tomato on toasted multigrain bread

This was a really good sandwich. There was a generous amount of tuna and the lightly toasted bread was delicious. The potato chips were a nice addition and I would definitely order this again

After the parade we both felt like something sweet so headed over to the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor

IMG_1642-1.jpg

Two Scoops Of Strawberry Ice Cream Topped With Whipped Cream (for DH)

IMG_1643-1.jpg

Two Scoops Of Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream With Chocolate ‘Mickey Ears’ (for Me)

Mmm, really good ice cream :banana:

We stayed in MK for the rest of the day, revisited some of our favourite attractions and picked up a couple of drinks from Auntie Gravity’s in Tomorrowland

IMG_1717-1.jpg

Strawberry Smoothie For Me & Coke For DH

The smoothie was really cold and refreshing and just the right consistency (it was a very hot day)

MK was open to 1am so we continued our way around the park and the lines began to get much shorter. I love doing Big Thunder Mountain and The Haunted Mansion after dark, they are so much more atmospheric when the sun goes down :)

Following SpectroMagic and Wishes :lovestruc we decided to head over to one of our favourite CS locations – Cosmic Ray’s

It’s not really because of the food that we love this place but the location is hard to beat. We have visited Cosmic Ray’s on every trip and always do the same thing …….. go late at night when it’s quite, get a table outside on the terrace and eat dinner with a beautiful view of the castle ……….. just wonderful :love:

Anyway onto the food

IMG_0580-1.jpg

1/4 pound Cheeseburger With Fries For DH

IMG_0579-1.jpg

Vegetarian Burger With Apple Slices For Me

Sorry that you can’t actually see my burger (poor photography :eek:) but there is a great Topping Bar where you can get: lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, relish, green peppers, mushrooms, grilled onions, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, and cheese sauce – Yum

The verdict on our burgers? ……how could you not enjoy every mouthful with that view? :hug:

Coming Up Next – Writer's Stop & A Cheeky Cocktail ;)[/size]

Mmmm that Tusker House breakfast looks fab. I may have to add that to my trip next year, no room for anymore adr's in June! :lmao:

We loved Tusker House :cool1: There is so much choice and it was a really fun place to spend some time

You reviewed two places I have been wanting to try- Beaches & Cream and Tusker House. My sis says she's done with character buffets but I will show her your pics and try to convince her otherwise, for just one last one! :laughing:

It's the first time we have been to a character buffet and even DH loved it :thumbsup2

The sushi was adequate. Not bad, but nothing to wow me. I like the sushi at California Grill better. And I'm sorry you didn't have my crab cakes. You might have enjoyed them more! :rolleyes:

I had the Sushi at Cailifornia Grill and loved it :) (review coming up soon)

I must try CHH on my next visit, I was meaning to go on both of my previous visits but never got round to it! :(

Make sure you get a table upstairs, it's a great view :goodvibes

Love the review of Tusker House. We are celebrating ds's 8th birthday there. We have an early ADR before park opening....maybe we will get a quick ride on the safari before breakfast....my ds would be in heaven!

How is Fantasia mini golf? And is it a super far walk from Epcot? Thanks!

Sorry I don't think I ever replied to you :eek: The walk from Epcot to Fantasia mini golf would take around 30 mins. You have to walk around the boardwalk and out through the other side of the Swan/Dolphin Resort

You can jump on one of the friendship boats at the Beach Club to cut out the walk around the boardwalk as well :boat:

Columbia Harbour House is another place on my "must-try" list next time I go back to Disney! The food looks really good, and I like hearing it's a quiet place to eat in MK :thumbsup2

Hope you have a good weekend! :)

I really enjoy your reviews! And you know what? You were the one who mentioned the cadbury chocolate bar in Canada that sparked my idea for an Epcot chocolate tasting tour!

THANKS! :thumbsup2

Keep the report coming - it's fabulous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter