Grandparents taking the kiddo on a Princess Alaska cruise

We have a passport card. That's supposed to be valid at pretty much a port of entry in Canada other than airports. The birth certificate is just a backup, although I've always been hesitant about carrying them because of risk of identity theft if lost.
If the passport card is acceptable, there's no reason to bring the BC.

Oh - I found they highly recommend COVID-19 boosters if one is eligible, but I guess that's not a requirement. But it's confusing because one bit they have say it's highly recommended while another says it's required.

Then there's the testing. My parents were asking about the free testing from the county, but I'm not sure that would work for a cruise because of delays. Last time my kid had a COVID-19 PCR test I made an appointment same day after the school called in about symptoms that meant going home for the day, and I got the test because they were going to need a negative test to return to school by the time the symptoms subsided. But I was waiting and waiting for the results, and didn't get anything until I called in and the letter was "generated" and emailed to me.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruis...uises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding

I found one place close to home that has rapid antigen testing, which they'll require 2 days before embarkation. $60 per test though (and they don't take insurance at all), but I'm not sure there's really any alternative.
There are proctored at home tests. Also check Walgreens. The ones around here will do a rapid NAAT test and take appointments 3 days ahead of time.

Oh - I found they highly recommend COVID-19 boosters if one is eligible, but I guess that's not a requirement. But it's confusing because one bit they have say it's highly recommended while another says it's required.

Then there's the testing. My parents were asking about the free testing from the county, but I'm not sure that would work for a cruise because of delays. Last time my kid had a COVID-19 PCR test I made an appointment same day after the school called in about symptoms that meant going home for the day, and I got the test because they were going to need a negative test to return to school by the time the symptoms subsided. But I was waiting and waiting for the results, and didn't get anything until I called in and the letter was "generated" and emailed to me.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruis...uises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding

I found one place close to home that has rapid antigen testing, which they'll require 2 days before embarkation. $60 per test though (and they don't take insurance at all), but I'm not sure there's really any alternative.
For our post Covid rules cruises we have bought proctored home tests from emed.com.

https://www.emed.com/

My suggestion is to buy a couple tests more than you need. If testing for 3 people buy 4 or 5. Once when testing the test I used just didn't work. If we did not have an extra test ready we would have been screwed.

You can buy 2 packs that work out to $35 a test or 6 packs that work out to $25 a test.

We always carry passports and medical consent forms for the DGKs. Aren't rapid tests free at CVS and Walgreens? I don't remember paying last month when we tested to travel international. I received our results in about two hours.

We always carry passports and medical consent forms for the DGKs. Aren't rapid tests free at CVS and Walgreens? I don't remember paying last month when we tested to travel international. I received our results in about two hours.
For cruises the test must be proctored.

For cruises the test must be proctored.
Well that's what happens when you don't read all the posts in a thread. I had no idea cruise lines requirement for COVID testing was different.

Last edited:

We have a passport card. That's supposed to be valid at pretty much a port of entry in Canada other than airports. The birth certificate is just a backup, although I've always been hesitant about carrying them because of risk of identity theft if lost.
The passport card is appropriate, no need to carry the birth certificate. I also strongly recommend a notarized letter signed by both parents authorizing the grandparents to travel with the child, as well as make medical decisions. Canada can be a stickler for the travel authorization - or not, it really just depends on the border agent.

Walgreens (and presumably CVS), basically anywhere aside from a home "DIY" test, ARE "proctored".
I made the assumption the poster was talking about picking up a free rapid at home test. Sorry for the mistake.

The problem with a CVS or Walgreens in store rapid test is scheduling. In many areas you can only schedule 3 or so days out now. If there is a rise in cases, scheduling can become difficult.

In my opinion spending an additional $35 per person for the convenience of an at home proctored test when already spending hundreds or thousands per person on a cruise is an easy to accept expense.

For our New Years cruise we started to just rely on just being able to get a rapid test done at Walgreens/CVS but I decided to buy the emed tests. I was glad I did as there was a spike in cases around then and getting a test locally was difficult.

There are also companies that will proctor a customer supplied test. So you could order some free government tests and just pay the proctor fee.

https://mylabsdirect.com/product/virtual-proctor-service/

Last edited:
I would also include a copy of your health insurance card, in case of a medical emergency.

also find out if your specific insurance company has their OWN form you need to fill out for an authorized adult other than a parent to authorize care/communicate with the insurance company. i've been stuck dealing with my insurance company over the phone while trying to access emergency care for my (then) kiddos while on vacation away from home-you don't want to be stuck on a 3 way call b/c your insurer won't speak to the grands absent their own proprietary release on file.

I made the assumption the poster was talking about picking up a free rapid at home test. Sorry for the mistake.

The problem with a CVS or Walgreens in store rapid test is scheduling. In many areas you can only schedule 3 or so days out now. If there is a rise in cases, scheduling can become difficult.

In my opinion spending an additional $35 per person for the convenience of an at home proctored test when already spending hundreds or thousands per person on a cruise is an easy to accept expense.

For our New Years cruise we started to just rely on just being able to get a rapid test done at Walgreens/CVS but I decided to buy the emed tests. I was glad I did as there was a spike in cases around then and getting a test locally was difficult.

There are also companies that will proctor a customer supplied test. So you could order some free government tests and just pay the proctor fee.

https://mylabsdirect.com/product/virtual-proctor-service/
I was a bit confused by your post too. I thought I must be missing something. We had no problem booking our appointments a week in advance and received the results in less than two hours. They were free. We’ve had to test for travel several times in the last year. It was simple. I also booked our return tests the day we arrived except our departure from Germany. The airport had a massive testing center and it was a walk in facility. Again it was quick and easy.

For the testing, we did the BinaxNow monitored antigen tests. Super easy to do and no appointment needed. $35 each (sold in packs of 2) and it’s what Royal Caribbean recommended. Results emailed immediately.

https://store.emed.com/s/product/detail/01t8c00000M7Qi0AAF

The cruise we just went into stopped in Victoria.
We were on Royal Caribbean.
We had to fill out a ArriveCanada form at home and got a QR code. Then on the ship we filled out a paper form and put that QR code on it.
The ship turned those in and when we got off the ship we didn't have to show anything.

For testing, our cruise left on a Monday, we flew out on a Sunday.
We (4 of us) got rapid NAAT test on Saturday. Drive though at Walgreens. Results emailed in about an hour. Took those and had to show them at check in at the terminal. No charge. They didn't even ask for insurance cards

So the cruise was booked but my dad asked me to help him with all the information requested by the Princess Cruise MedallionClass app and to print up luggage tags. It was a hot mess and my dad was frustrated trying to navigate it. So far we have all the emergency contacts, names, travel document numbers, dinner table reservations, etc. The luggage tags were only available through their regular website, but that's done. There something odd on the printout saying that they were demonstrated to be durable for travel, but I just printed it on 20 lb printer paper, so obviously it can tear.

They seemed to be able to populate the passport info by taking a photo of the information page, although I had difficulty because the page is reflective and it was difficult to get a photo without glare blocking some of the text. They did have options for other documents such as my kid's passport card, but all the info had to be entered manually.

My parents are still a bit frustrated because so much is done through the app and a pain to navigate. They're wondering where the "boarding pass" is but I noticed there's already a QR code present on their app for their cruise, even though it doesn't say anything. The last time they took a cruise they had a travel agent to help them with all the pre-cruise data entry.

So the cruise was booked but my dad asked me to help him with all the information requested by the Princess Cruise MedallionClass app and to print up luggage tags. It was a hot mess and my dad was frustrated trying to navigate it. So far we have all the emergency contacts, names, travel document numbers, dinner table reservations, etc. The luggage tags were only available through their regular website, but that's done. There something odd on the printout saying that they were demonstrated to be durable for travel, but I just printed it on 20 lb printer paper, so obviously it can tear.

They seemed to be able to populate the passport info by taking a photo of the information page, although I had difficulty because the page is reflective and it was difficult to get a photo without glare blocking some of the text. They did have options for other documents such as my kid's passport card, but all the info had to be entered manually.

My parents are still a bit frustrated because so much is done through the app and a pain to navigate. They're wondering where the "boarding pass" is but I noticed there's already a QR code present on their app for their cruise, even though it doesn't say anything. The last time they took a cruise they had a travel agent to help them with all the pre-cruise data entry.
I can’t speak for Princess, but both Royal and Norwegian require you to have the app. I hope you’re parents can get used to it because it seems that’s how everything is done, in my experience.

For the luggage tags, the way you fold them makes them pretty sturdy. Or you can do what we did and buy the plastic holders on Amazon.

I was thinking two things. One was entry into Canada and not simply staying on board the ship. However, apparently entry into Canada for US citizen minors under 16 is allowed with a US birth certificate and no ID. For adults that would require another photo ID and wouldn't allow exit into Canada (I think). There were some complicated rules dealing with adults and US/Canada travel with birth certificates. I think Canada allows it, but the US doesn't.
I'd be more worried about getting back into the US. Years ago, pre-9/11, my dad and I had reason to take a last-minute (scheduled the night before) plane trip to Canada. I was 15 and had a learner's permit DL. Dad worked for the Department of Defense and had a photo ID for work. No passports, no time to get birth certificates. Canada let us in just fine. But getting out again....we nearly missed the plane. Dad went through first with his gov't ID, no problems. I showed my DL and was told I couldn't enter the US without proof of citizenship. So apparently they were fine with holding a 15 year old in Canada without a parent! After much debate they agreed to let me through since my last name and Dad's last name matched, and somebody decided that if he had DOD security clearance we probably weren't doing anything shady. The whole family got passports right after that.

I haven't cruised with somebody else's kids, but I've traveled fairly extensively within the US with my cousins (different last names, and one is black while I'm white). Always gotten a permission to travel letter and a medical consent letter from their parents, but never needed to show them. It still feels like an easy step to take just to make sure.

I'd be more worried about getting back into the US. Years ago, pre-9/11, my dad and I had reason to take a last-minute (scheduled the night before) plane trip to Canada. I was 15 and had a learner's permit DL. Dad worked for the Department of Defense and had a photo ID for work. No passports, no time to get birth certificates. Canada let us in just fine. But getting out again....we nearly missed the plane. Dad went through first with his gov't ID, no problems. I showed my DL and was told I couldn't enter the US without proof of citizenship. So apparently they were fine with holding a 15 year old in Canada without a parent! After much debate they agreed to let me through since my last name and Dad's last name matched, and somebody decided that if he had DOD security clearance we probably weren't doing anything shady. The whole family got passports right after that.

I haven't cruised with somebody else's kids, but I've traveled fairly extensively within the US with my cousins (different last names, and one is black while I'm white). Always gotten a permission to travel letter and a medical consent letter from their parents, but never needed to show them. It still feels like an easy step to take just to make sure.

It's kind of odd. Theoretically a US citizen is **supposed to** have a full US passport to return to the US via international air travel, and for the most part airlines enforce that. However, the US is not in the habit of denying entry to people who can prove that they're US citizens regardless of their "papers" not being the specified ones. They'll probably chew someone out who manages to arrive on a passport card via an international flight to the US. It might require being taken to a back room to go over a bunch of stuff.

It's kind of odd. Theoretically a US citizen is **supposed to** have a full US passport to return to the US via international air travel, and for the most part airlines enforce that. However, the US is not in the habit of denying entry to people who can prove that they're US citizens regardless of their "papers" not being the specified ones. They'll probably chew someone out who manages to arrive on a passport card via an international flight to the US. It might require being taken to a back room to go over a bunch of stuff.
FWIW We’ve never experienced a lax policy entering US. Canada was the strictest… coming and going.

Edited to fix auto correct and typo lol

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter