Grandparents taking the kiddo on a Princess Alaska cruise

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
So they're doing this before school starts in August - San Francisco to Alaska with a possible stop in Prince Rupert, BC, but otherwise all other stops in Alaska. We already handed over our kid's US passport card and one certified copy of the birth certificate just in case. I was under the impression that the birth certificate was enough for an 11 year old.

Now the one thing that might be a little bit difficult to deal with is lack of internet access unless in port (or otherwise close to cellular service) and they have access on their portable devices. I understand that Princess has access to their Wi-Fi to do planning on board, but no internet access without an additional fee. Also - they just gave their old iPhone 6 Plus for the kiddo to use on the cruise, but it doesn't appear to be able to download the Princess Cruises MedallionClass app.

I think we might also need a travel consent letter.

I also used to give a letter allowing the named persons to make medical care decisions for my underage children. I am
not sure how things stand now so far as medical treatment for minors. It is also easier to reach parents these days via cell phones, emails and texting.

Honestly, every time you are in port you can access cell service. Unless it’s a day at sea, most ships move at night. So you should be able to reach the grandparents most of the time. Not sure what the time difference is for you though.

My son went to Australia with a cousin when he was just 17. We had very little contact due to international cell fees. I told him he could access data using our international plan but only a few times during the 3 week trip. He was able to use Wi-Fi in some of the places they stayed. I didn’t hear from him much. 😢

He took his insurance card but I didn’t think about a consent letter.

What an amazing opportunity for your child!

So they're doing this before school starts in August - San Francisco to Alaska with a possible stop in Prince Rupert, BC, but otherwise all other stops in Alaska. We already handed over our kid's US passport card and one certified copy of the birth certificate just in case. I was under the impression that the birth certificate was enough for an 11 year old.

Now the one thing that might be a little bit difficult to deal with is lack of internet access unless in port (or otherwise close to cellular service) and they have access on their portable devices. I understand that Princess has access to their Wi-Fi to do planning on board, but no internet access without an additional fee. Also - they just gave their old iPhone 6 Plus for the kiddo to use on the cruise, but it doesn't appear to be able to download the Princess Cruises MedallionClass app.

I think we might also need a travel consent letter.
Age has nothing to do with passport requirements. A BC is acceptable if: a) US Citizen b) it's a "closed loop" cruise (starts & ends at the same port).

There's no guarantee you'll need a travel consent letter, but it's better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. We're travelling with friend of DD's next month and I typed up the following:
To Whom it May Concern

We, <mother's name> (mother), and <father's name> (father), do give permission for <DW & my names> to take our daughter, <minor name>, whose date of birth is <minor DOB>, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’s <cruise ship> sailing from <departure port> on <departure date>.

The cruise is scheduled to go to the <itinerary name>, but we understand that the itinerary is subject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

We also give <DW & my name> permission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that <minor name> may need while in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities <minor name> may want to partake in.

This authorization includes allowing <minor name> to travel with <DW & my names> between <home location> and <departure port> using any suitable modes of transportation.

_________________________ _______________________
Mother Signature Date

_________________________ _______________________
Father’s Signature Date

Notarize Below
If you google "<cruise line> minor consent form" they probably have one you can download.

As far as connectivity, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? For the your to reach out to you if they need to? For the GP to reach out to you if they need to? For you to reach out to them? Just my opinion, but it's ok if they're out of contact. Barring some kind of extenuating circumstance, either you trust them with your child or you don't. I'm sure there's an emergency number for you to call the ship and they'll be able to contact you if there's an emergency. Other than that "Let them go!"

We just got back from taking our grand kids on an Alaskan Cruise. Left from Seattle.
We did have notarized letter from DIL, just in case. They filed it on the ship.
We had no internet on ship or in one port. The rest of the Alaska ports were fine.
Can't help with the passports.....they both have them (they are 5 and 8)

They will have a great time!

Age has nothing to do with passport requirements. A BC is acceptable if: a) US Citizen b) it's a "closed loop" cruise (starts & ends at the same port).

There's no guarantee you'll need a travel consent letter, but it's better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. We're travelling with friend of DD's next month and I typed up the following:

If you google "<cruise line> minor consent form" they probably have one you can download.

As far as connectivity, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? For the your to reach out to you if they need to? For the GP to reach out to you if they need to? For you to reach out to them? Just my opinion, but it's ok if they're out of contact. Barring some kind of extenuating circumstance, either you trust them with your child or you don't. I'm sure there's an emergency number for you to call the ship and they'll be able to contact you if there's an emergency. Other than that "Let them go!"
Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 only need proof of U.S. citizenship. May 17, 2022

Learn something new every day.
Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 only need proof of U.S. citizenship. May 17, 2022

I believe a cruise starting in San Francisco and ending in Seward is not a closed loop cruise as it starts and ends in a different port.

I believe the passport card will be enough since the cruise only calls on US and Canadian ports. If I were you I would contact the cruise line to be sure. Arriving by car, ship, or plane often have different documentation requirements. Requirements can be different based on age as well.

As for connectivity, on our most recent cruise I didn't buy the internet package. We had no service the first day, cell service the next two port days, then nothing. By the next to last day I cracked and bought the internet package for two devices and the four of us shared the last day.

We have never needed any sort of travel consent letter when traveling with kids that our not our own.

Agreed!

I'm remembering the time my folks took our boys & my 2 nephews to South Africa for a few weeks. Those kids had a blast, and I think we only heard from them once or twice, and that being when my mother said "okay, let's call your parents and let them know you are ok - it'll only take 5 minutes!". Kids were more interested in the SAT phone than actually talking to us...

I was thinking two things. One was entry into Canada and not simply staying on board the ship. However, apparently entry into Canada for US citizen minors under 16 is allowed with a US birth certificate and no ID. For adults that would require another photo ID and wouldn't allow exit into Canada (I think). There were some complicated rules dealing with adults and US/Canada travel with birth certificates. I think Canada allows it, but the US doesn't.

A little different for minors. They only require proof of US citizenship for minors to enter Canada and return to the US, and that includes a birth certificate showing birth in the US, or a Certificate of Citizenship. A child can't have a Certificate of Naturalization by design. They don't require proof of identity for minors, which I suppose is a big loophole. In any case we handed over the passport card so that will be provided.

There's no guarantee you'll need a travel consent letter, but it's better to have and not need it than need it and not have it.

This. Travel consent and medical consent, signed by both parents and notarized. Generally, It’s more likely they’ll be asked for documentation if the child and grandparents have different last names. I would also include a copy of your health insurance card, in case of a medical emergency.

The cruise line might require the original.
At least Royal Caribbean says they prefer the original but if all you have is a digital copy they say it will work as well. Not sure about Princess so as suggested I would check with the cruise line for the requirements.

I know on my two post Covid cruises(Carnival and RCCL), that the documentation check has just been a formality.

On my last cruise (RCCL) the person "checking" the test results and vaccination cards just counted them to make sure we had 4 of each. He never looked at the names on the papers or even what the pages said. I could have presented him with 8 blank sheets of paper and I think I would have been let on the boat.

To get the boarding pass you had to have previously uploaded digital copies of the vaccination cards and those had to be approved so the inattention there made a little sense.

But this was the one and only time anyone would have looked at the 2 day antigen test results, and no one did.

Here is what Princess says about vaccine cards:
It is our guests’ responsibility to comply with the Princess vaccination policy.

Before cruise departure, guests eligible for vaccination will be required to attest through the MedallionClass app that they will be fully vaccinated at the time of embarkation. This means completing all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation. Guests should be ready to show original proof of vaccination at cruise check-in.

Original proof of vaccination
should clearly show the guest’s name on the vaccination card or certificate, which matches their photo ID, the dates vaccine doses were given (final dose must have been received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise), and the name of the facility administering the vaccination. Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the submitted proof of vaccination.

Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding. Information provided will be subject to our privacy notice on princess.com and shared only as needed with Princess personnel, third parties or local health authorities as part of embarkation-related health protocols.

I was thinking two things. One was entry into Canada and not simply staying on board the ship. However, apparently entry into Canada for US citizen minors under 16 is allowed with a US birth certificate and no ID. For adults that would require another photo ID and wouldn't allow exit into Canada (I think). There were some complicated rules dealing with adults and US/Canada travel with birth certificates. I think Canada allows it, but the US doesn't.
We just got back from an Alaskan cruise. Canada doesn’t care if you get off the ship or not. You have to fill out the ArriveCAN form (app) which is to provide proof of citizenship & vaccination status.

My kids traveled on passports so I can’t help with the other part.

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise. Canada doesn’t care if you get off the ship or not. You have to fill out the ArriveCAN form (app) which is to provide proof of citizenship & vaccination status.

My kids traveled on passports so I can’t help with the other part.

We have a passport card. That's supposed to be valid at pretty much a port of entry in Canada other than airports. The birth certificate is just a backup, although I've always been hesitant about carrying them because of risk of identity theft if lost.

We have a passport card. That's supposed to be valid at pretty much a port of entry in Canada other than airports. The birth certificate is just a backup, although I've always been hesitant about carrying them because of risk of identity theft if lost.
That’s fine. I was more pointing out that it doesn’t matter whether they get off the ship or not; the rules are the same.

Oh - I found they highly recommend COVID-19 boosters if one is eligible, but I guess that's not a requirement. But it's confusing because one bit they have say it's highly recommended while another says it's required.

Then there's the testing. My parents were asking about the free testing from the county, but I'm not sure that would work for a cruise because of delays. Last time my kid had a COVID-19 PCR test I made an appointment same day after the school called in about symptoms that meant going home for the day, and I got the test because they were going to need a negative test to return to school by the time the symptoms subsided. But I was waiting and waiting for the results, and didn't get anything until I called in and the letter was "generated" and emailed to me.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruis...uises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding

I found one place close to home that has rapid antigen testing, which they'll require 2 days before embarkation. $60 per test though (and they don't take insurance at all), but I'm not sure there's really any alternative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter