Grand Floridian stuck up? Your personal experiences?

1st off all I don't understand why I am being flamed here, because of something a Cast Member told me. I never said I agreed with what she said, all I did was tell you what she said. So for the record she was not chatting me up, my parents were the ones who asked how different the Atrium Club was to the Club Levels at the Grand Floridian and it was a coincidence she use to work at the Grand Floridian and did not like it there.

Finally she never said the guests were better at the Contemporary so I am not sure where you can see that part since it was never mentioned.

Atrium Club and Lodge Conceierge (SugarLoaf) at the GF are about the same--it didn't used to be that way, Atrium Club used to be fairly devoid of anything special other than a keyed floor and light breakfast.

I've stayed 14th floor and RPC as well. Frankly I think that the service level on the 14th floor is superior--because there are so few rooms on the 14th floor, you truly get individual attention. I actually prefer the offerings there as well, RPC gets as "overrun" as the Polynesian.

And you didn't need a CM who should learn to keep her mouth shut--it's very unprofessional for comments like that to be made--to tell you, there are plenty on the DIS who have tried every CL at WDW and will give honest and objective opinions.

I Love the GF! We went to all of the moderate and almost all the deluxe resorts and do not have anything negative to say. When we were married at Disney World we stayed there for our "complimentary night" in a Lagoon catherdral ceiling room (I guess this helped the experience). It was awesome and the staff was so nice! Definetly not snobby at all. Other resorts we stayed in the staff just treat you like everyone else but they seem to go way out of the way to help make you stay great. I thought that the resort was way too stuffy until we stayed there. I would LOVE to stay there again it is so $$$.

Stayed there 3 times and it's my favorite next to teh Boardwalk. Staff is so friendly and accomadating and I never encountered a stuffy guest or employee. And it's just so beautiful! Can't wait to go there again. It's full of the Disney magic.

I don't understand this mentality. Every single resort at Disney is discussed here every day with an equal mixture of positive and negative comments.

But if someone says something negative about the GF, it's suddenly "resort envy." :confused3

Maybe people just don't like the theme. It doesn't mean they're jealous! Heck, I probably couldn't afford to stay at GF unless I saved every single penny and never did anything fun at home. But even if I had the disposable income, I wouldn't choose GF. I just don't care for the atmosphere. It doesn't mean I'm envious of those *real* polo shirt wearin' people with brushed hair and lipstick who do choose to stay there. ;)

Me, I'm happy wearing my Wal Mart sweat pants and $3 Hanes tee-shirt walking around the lobby of Wilderness Lodge with curlers in my hair and Clearasil smeared on my face. :coffee:

(Edited to add: just joking about that last part. I really don't walk around in public in sweat pants!)

No, actually, my "mentality" would be to think that the same thing could be said about someone talking about the CR or Poly as well...
I believe I mentioned the theme (Victorian), by the way.

I don't find the CMs at the GF stuck-up or stuffy, but when I stay there I become totally stuck-up as can be! :rotfl2:

(just a joke...) :lmao: :goodvibes

the GF is our favorite disney resort (even though DD and I are staying at ASMu for our spur of the moment trip next week)...

we LOVE staying at the GF....and NO it's not stuck up...
i can never figure out why people say that..

i have always found the CMs at the GF to be the most friendly/smiley/helpful of any CMs at any resort...

everyone always smiles and greets me with a HUGE hello, how are you as i walk around the resort...and it doesn't matter who the CM...the mousekeepers, maintenance people, CMs in the gasparillo, CMs in private dining, CMs in the lobby, CMs in concierge - all of them are super friendly and down to earth...

totally the opposite of stuck up..

Just out of curiosity... what did you find snooty about GF? I haven't stayed concierge, so perhaps they're snootier up there. But can you give an example of the snootiness?

Not all of the CM at the GF are snooty, though most are. There were a few that would always walk around with their noses up in the air. Would not get their hands dirty by clearing away dishes left by guests, which the CM at the WL concierge must do, in addition to taking turns actually washing them. There is one thing I will never forget about the way a few CM reacted to a simple request of ours. We have special dietary needs and had to get to the Publix supermarket to pick up a few items. When we asked them to call a car for us to take us there, as we walked away, we heard them laughing and joking about what we could need at the Publix. I especially heard them very well, since we were in a room on the first floor where they are situated and I stood behind the column near my room to hear the rest of it. They couldn't get over the fact that their guests were actually going to a supermarket while they were staying there. This was about 8 years ago. These days, I've noticed many more guests now arriving with bags from Publix, cases of soda etc. We still returned to the SLC at the GF year after year since we really did like the basic service, atmosphere, and my husband needed the concierge service for his business needs, which he conducts most of the trip. We learned to call the car on our own and hide our bags in a duffel bag that we brought along for this purpose. The last 2 years, we've stayed at the WL and the CM at their concierge are more like family members than higher ups who feel better than everyone else. There isn't one CM at the WL who has, openly, looked at anyone for anything unusual that they have requested. That's the way it should be. The WL concierge floor is now our home away from home during the summertime.

Not all of the CM at the GF are snooty, though most are.

With well over 250 CMs employed at the GF, your use of the word most seems like an overstatement.

There is no reason for a CM to ever treat a guest poorly. I'm surprised you returned year after year. What in the world was the CMs' response when you or your husband confronted them on this outrageous behavior? Better yet, what did management say when you reported this incident?

1st off all I don't understand why I am being flamed here, because of something a Cast Member told me. I never said I agreed with what she said, all I did was tell you what she said.

I don't know why you feel you're being flamed. No one has disagreed with you or claimed that you were lying about what the CM said (which still wouldn't be "flaming," BTW, since simple disagreement is not "flaming.") They're discussing what the CM said. Why are you taking it personally?

With well over 250 CMs employed at the GF, your use of the word most seems like an overstatement.

There is no reason for a CM to ever treat a guest poorly. I'm surprised you returned year after year. What in the world was the CMs' response when you or your husband confronted them on this outrageous behavior? Better yet, what did management say when you reported this incident?

"Most" was talking about the SLC members, not the entire hotel staff, whom of course, we did not get to know.

We didn't confront anyone about the incident. We figured we'd look ridiculous complaining about it. This was only our 2nd year there and we were still pretty new. We thought it might be the attitude of many of the concierge members. We are not big complainers. Everything was going pretty well during our stay. We kept going back, because, we didn't realize how many other concierge choices we had at the other hotels. Since my husband must conduct business while we are away, the GF concierge took care of all faxes, packages and deliveries that we needed to make while we were there. We also felt that we only went away once a year,we should stay at the best place possible. We didn't have many issues in later years, since we basically took care of ourselves. I found a taxi driver that I call each year when we get there, and we made very few requests of the concierge members, except for business related ones. We were able to reserve the same rooms each year, which we loved, and had breakfast, drinks and snacks available to us all day in the lobby of the building. That was a big plus for us. But,once we tried the WL concierge, due to the rise in prices at the GF, we realized the family oriented atmosphere that we were missing all along.

The GF is our favorite resort to 'visit' but we don't desire to stay there. :lmao:

It had nothing to do with percieved 'snootiness' which we never saw. We love seeing the elegance and Victorian touches but it just isn't our style. The foyer is absolutely gorgeous and no trip to the World is complete until we've visited the Grand Floridian. And even when we've just 'visited', the CMs there have been nothing but generous and helpful. The GF just reminds me of the kind of hotel my mother and grandmother would have loved--it looks like a giant doily. :rotfl:

While we can afford to stay at the GF, our vacation style is the Polynesian which fits us just fine!

Growing up in Pennsylvania has given me no desire to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. If I want to see a lodge I just have to drive about 30 minutes to see one. No thanks. :goodvibes

I think that some people mistake the more reserved attitudes of many of the staff at the GF as snootiness. If a guest used to "down home" type of hospitality, then I can certainly understand how they might have that misunderstanding.

I do feel that anyone in a service position should never mock a guest, for any reason, regardless of if they are within earshot of that guest or at home, and I agree, behaviour like that is unacceptable and should be reported.

And I agree with you that the use of the word "most" is a gross overstatement.

I remember walking into a Four Seasons one time with a box of pizza. Instead of being looked down on, several of the employees smiled and made a comment on how good it smelled. One offered to send plates and silverware up for us. That's the level of service that the GF should be striving for, but unfortunately doesn't. I'm wondering if things will change one the Ritz-Carlton opens. That hotel will certainly raise the bar for the WDW resorts.

Not all of the CM at the GF are snooty, though most are. There were a few that would always walk around with their noses up in the air. Would not get their hands dirty by clearing away dishes left by guests, which the CM at the WL concierge must do, in addition to taking turns actually washing them. There is one thing I will never forget about the way a few CM reacted to a simple request of ours. We have special dietary needs and had to get to the Publix supermarket to pick up a few items. When we asked them to call a car for us to take us there, as we walked away, we heard them laughing and joking about what we could need at the Publix. I especially heard them very well, since we were in a room on the first floor where they are situated and I stood behind the column near my room to hear the rest of it. They couldn't get over the fact that their guests were actually going to a supermarket while they were staying there. This was about 8 years ago. These days, I've noticed many more guests now arriving with bags from Publix, cases of soda etc. We still returned to the SLC at the GF year after year since we really did like the basic service, atmosphere, and my husband needed the concierge service for his business needs, which he conducts most of the trip. We learned to call the car on our own and hide our bags in a duffel bag that we brought along for this purpose. The last 2 years, we've stayed at the WL and the CM at their concierge are more like family members than higher ups who feel better than everyone else. There isn't one CM at the WL who has, openly, looked at anyone for anything unusual that they have requested. That's the way it should be. The WL concierge floor is now our home away from home during the summertime.

Different hotels are run differently at WDW, and the job description at one hotel for CL staff can vary greatly from the next. A CM who is doing something other than their job can be disciplined. Perhaps your beef should be with hotel management, not someone who isn't picking up dishes because they aren't supposed to be.

BTW--We had a very negative experience with a CM at the WL CL. There are bad apples in every bunch.

I think that some people mistake the more reserved attitudes of many of the staff at the GF as snootiness. If a guest used to "down home" type of hospitality, then I can certainly understand how they might have that misunderstanding.

I do feel that anyone in a service position should never mock a guest, for any reason, regardless of if they are within earshot of that guest or at home, and I agree, behaviour like that is unacceptable and should be reported.

And I agree with you that the use of the word "most" is a gross overstatement.

I remember walking into a Four Seasons one time with a box of pizza. Instead of being looked down on, several of the employees smiled and made a comment on how good it smelled. One offered to send plates and silverware up for us. That's the level of service that the GF should be striving for, but unfortunately doesn't. I'm wondering if things will change one the Ritz-Carlton opens. That hotel will certainly raise the bar for the WDW resorts.

I don't really understand the point of this extremely subjective thread. It's so much better to deal with a problem immediately, while a guest at the hotel.

However, it will be quite interesting as Disney delves into providing on site access to actual 5 star hotels. Folks who want to pay for that level of service will, happily. And the Grand Floridian? I'm sure, in the end it will do just fine. My Prediction: It will continue to be a lovely hotel. Future guests aren't going to arrive to the GF and be greeted by critters all around the cement pond.:lmao:

I don't really understand the point of this extremely subjective thread. However, it will be quite interesting as Disney delves into providing on site access to actual 5 star hotels. Folks who want to pay for that level of service will, happily. And the Grand Floridian? I'm sure, in the end it will do just fine. My Prediction: It will continue to be a lovely hotel. Future guests aren't going to arrive to the GF and be greeted by critters all around the cement pond.:lmao:

I guess my point is that I think that the GF will have to reevaluate certain aspects of their service and amenity levels, or lower their prices. They are currently charging about double what they should be for that level of service and amenities. Of course there is the location factor. But I really think that once the RC opens, Disney is going to loose a measurable amount of business from the GF--more based on service levels and amenities than actual cost. There are a lot of guests who are just not that price sensitive, and it will come down to service and amenities.

I guess my point is that I think that the GF will have to reevaluate certain aspects of their service and amenity levels, or lower their prices. They are currently charging about double what they should be for that level of service and amenities. Of course there is the location factor. But I really think that once the RC opens, Disney is going to loose a measurable amount of business from the GF--more based on service levels and amenities than actual cost. There are a lot of guests who are just not that price sensitive, and it will come down to service and amenities.

I always think the more competition, the better. (Think Vegas...) It gives more options, and (hopefully!) more promotions to keep the room occupancy rates up.

But I really think that once the RC opens, Disney is going to loose a measurable amount of business from the GF--more based on service levels and amenities than actual cost. There are a lot of guests who are just not that price sensitive, and it will come down to service and amenities.

Do you mean when the Four Seasons opens? I've heard it's the Four Seasons that will be building a resort on the former Osprey Golf Course. Isn't there already a Ritz near WDW? Just curious!

So we finally have confirmation that "bad" concierge staff get banished to the Atrium Club!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Actually you are wrong about that. This Cast Member had worked before on the Atrium Club and wanted to try working at the Grand Floridian, because WDW has that program where Cast Members can try working at other Resorts for 30 days to see if they want to work there full time. Obviosuly she decided to switch back to the Atrium Club.

Do you mean when the Four Seasons opens? I've heard it's the Four Seasons that will be building a resort on the former Osprey Golf Course. Isn't there already a Ritz near WDW? Just curious!

Yes, you're correct, sorry about that. Same idea though! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter