Grand Floridian stuck up? Your personal experiences?

uva185

DIS Veteran
I have seen many people on this board claim they feel the guests and/or staff at the GF are stuck up. I have stayed at the GF 4 times since 2003 and I have yet to have any negative experiences or feel like the people there are stuck up. I have always been greeted by the absolute friendliest staff (and I stay in about 20 hotels per year). Frankly I have encountered more stuck up hotel staff at a random Hilton or Westin. I dress casually while on vacation (shorts and a polo) but it does not bother me if people decide to dress up--in fact I LOOOOVE seeing people all dressed up in formal clothing for weddings or other formal events.

Would those who feel the GF is stuck up please elaborate on what caused you to feel this way?

Was it the guests dressed?
The guests attitudes?
Something one of the guests said to you?
What did the staff to do act stuck up?

This post is not meant to dispute your opinions, I am just curious to know the circumstances behind them. Thanks!!

We did not find it stuffy or stuck up at all. In fact, the lobby featured all walks of life...screaming children, grown-ups in flip flops with their feet up, etc.

I was expecting it to be more of a four-star atmosphere--but nope! Not at all.

This past August when my parents and I were speaking to a Cast Member on the Atrium Club Level floor of the Contemporary, who use to work on the Royal Palm Club Level at the Grand Floridian. She thought the Cast Members and guests up there were rude and stuck up. While I am sure others have had positive experiences there that was her opinion.

Our stay at the GF this past September was VERY comfortable. Our family felt very welcome. Very "at home". Very much like we fit in. And we are a family with three sons (11, 8 and 6). Some nights we were dressed up for dinner but most of the time we were in shorts, t-shirts or polos and Crocs or flip flops. We felt like we were able to let our hair down and enjoy the resort without worrying what others were thinking.

We met very nice guests in the elevator in Sugarloaf. We got to talking to them while waiting for the elevator and then we sat together and continued our visit in the concierge lounge over snacks. We rented a cabana at the pool, so we spent a lot of time out by the pool that day. Over the course of that afternoon, dh and the boys had a ton of fun playing with other fathers and kids (we bought a water football and they had no problem finding "other teams" to play with).

We also found the staff to be warm and friendly. We felt able to sit our theme park attired selves in the main lobby and listen to the music and relax without anyone batting an eye. We failed to see anyone walking around with their noses up in the air.

This is just our family's impression of the GF...but it was far from stuffy or snooty. I would use the words elegant and welcoming. But...that's just my opinion. I know that every person has their own tastes and likes and dislikes. Some WDW resorts that don't really appeal to me are other people's favorites. To each his or her own. If we all loved the same places, nobody would be able to score a reservation!! ;) ;)

This past August when my parents and I were speaking to a Cast Member on the Atrium Club Level floor of the Contemporary, who use to work on the Royal Palm Club Level at the Grand Floridian. She thought the Cast Members and guests up there were rude and stuck up. While I am sure others have had positive experiences there that was her opinion.

I can't believe a CM said that! :laughing: I bet they all have a few stories to tell.

I think a lot of how comfortable someone feels anywhere depends on the person. If you're generally an easy going, nice person, then I think people will usually respond in kind.
You meet people with poor attitudes in many different situations and from many different walks of life. If you came across someone behaving badly at the Poly, you might just say to yourself that this person needs to chill and have a Lapulapu. If you came across the same person at the GF, you might see them as being "snooty". It's all a matter of perception.
Just my opinion anyway.

I've never thought the GF was snooty. My main reasons for not preferring that resort are the inconvenient self parking and having to walk outdoors from one building to another (I'm not fond of that at any of the resorts). I like to have my car where I can look it over once in a while, without feeling like I've walked to the next county. We've had some very nice stays at GF, but it's just not my favorite.

I will say that's the first hotel where I ever experienced having the person in front of me check out and their bill was over $12,000 (and this was back in the 80's when the resort first opened). All I could think of was how many Disney trips I could make with that much money.;)

I will say that's the first hotel where I ever experienced having the person in front of me check out and their bill was over $12,000 (and this was back in the 80's when the resort first opened). All I could think of was how many Disney trips I could make with that much money.;)

:scared: I've always stayed at the value resorts so I could go many times for that!!!!!

We've stayed at the Grand Floridian on several trips and never felt that it was "stuffy". The first year our kids were only 2, 4 and 5 and we never felt out of place. I think some people have the perception that the GF is stuffy, and not for children. I always remind them of how many kids activities - Wonderland Tea Party, Grand Adventures in Cooking, Pirate Cruise etc. are held at the GF.

We didn't feel out of place in the lobby whether we were dressed up for a nice dinner or in shorts and flip flops on our way to the monorail and the parks.

It seems that most of the folks that call the GF stuck up or snooty haven't stayed there. We've stayed there three times, and have two more stays booked. Most all of the CMs there are very nice, and some go absolutely above and beyond. If anyone is snooty there it is an occasional guest staying RPC, thinking that they can treat everyone around them like dirt just because they are forking out $700 - $1000 per night, but that is very rare. MOST of the people that stay RPC are just a nice as everyone else. The ladies of the GF FAQ thread are a great example of some really nice people that like to stay RPC. Besides I think there are snooty people staying at any of the resorts. Once we were staying at the Poly and some lady was pitching a fit in one of the gift shops, and she yelled out "I am spending $500 a night at the Contemporary." Well, that was her mistake, but I digress.

Anyway, people can say what they want about the GF, but until I personally have bad experiences there, I will continue to go back because we love it there and we love the location.

It seems that most of the folks that call the GF stuck up or snooty haven't stayed there.

Interesting observation. Is there anyone who has stayed there who disagrees? I certainly thought the staff and guests were all completely friendly when we stayed there.

Well unfortunately I've never stayed at the GF--totally out of my price range! But we've walked around, checked out the lobby and gift shops and found the CMs just as pleasant as anywhere else.

We have stayed at the GF several times and never had any issues with the CMs and or cast members. I dont find that it stuffy at all.

I stayed at the GF last July and I did not think that the guests and cast members seemed pompous or "stuck up." Most of the people staying at the GF are families on vacation. That means people attired in shorts, t-shirts, sandals, and swim wear. There are also a number of people who visit the resort simply to tour it and perhaps have a meal at one of the restaurants.

The cast members are friendly and welcoming.

I'd have to agree that this is a matter of perception, or at least an isolated experience where someone encountered a CM on a bad day. I can also understand, in fact, I can assume that there must be plenty of guests at the GF or other deluxes that, based on their financial situation, lack of class and the fact that they may be paying $700-1000 per night that they generally treat people like garbage. I see it everyday...I live in South Florida. It's becoming the hallmark of this area. :guilty:

I have only visited there and never found any CMs to be snooty or stuck up at all. Same with guests. I find it to be a nice hotel to hang out in and relax for a short while. However, the *theming* is a bit too stuffy feeling for me. I am not into that style at all and never can feel comfortable staying in places that are so frilly. I know that is odd to say coming from a woman ;) That alone makes me not want to stay there. Like I said I enjoy visiting for a short time, but after a while the theming gets to me. I'm just more of a laid back person. Just like BC is great to me, but YC is too "stuffy" for me with the theming as well.

I have encountered rude guests there, but that's true of every resort I've ever stayed at.

We have stayed at the GF eight times over the years. All of our stays were in Boca Chica. We found the CM's and guest to be fine and not snooty at all.

Like an above poster stated... I think it depends on the person.

funny story..... We have friends that think that the WL is stuck up and snooty. :rotfl: :rotfl:
They only stay in the cabins.
So I guess it is all in how you view things in general.

I used to have this opinion of the GF but after staying there, the CMs were just as friendly there as compared to the other resorts. We have noticed a few "snooty" guests but we just laugh at their ridiculous behavior and go about our own business. We love the GF and will continue to stay there when financially possible. There are probably some "bad eggs" at all the resorts!!!

I think it has to do with a few things. Some people are naturally turned off by the decor of GF. That gingerbread, white, Victorian decor is just stuffy to them. I personally LOVE it, but that's my tastes. I can't stand the decor of CR and find it cold and un-Disney (even though it's an original!). Just different strokes for different folks, and it's how you perceive things.

I don't find GF stuffy at all as far as CMs or guests go. It's Disney, people don't normally get all dressed and perfect when you're sweating in a theme park for a few hours a day walking miles at a time.

If you see me at the GF, or Pop, I will be in a dress. I'm just more comfortable wearing a sundress in the heat than shorts or pants. But I would expect just as many people in comfortable casual clothes at the GF as I would at a value. Again, personal preference on how you do things. I don't care how much you're spending on a room, it's in Disney World, so things are different than say...a Ritz Carlton somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter