Grand Floridian stuck up? Your personal experiences?

Great place to stay. I prefer other resorts though because it's a little too laid back at GF.

This past August when my parents and I were speaking to a Cast Member on the Atrium Club Level floor of the Contemporary, who use to work on the Royal Palm Club Level at the Grand Floridian. She thought the Cast Members and guests up there were rude and stuck up.

Highly inappropriate.

I personally don't really find the GF that special. It is a lot of money for three star service and product, and even then the service is not always up to par. Having said that, I have never had any feeling of inferiority there. I have met some wonderful CMs (especially some of the older people who work there). I have also met some indifferent ones (walking into an empty shop and never being acknowledged, while the CMs chat about their weekend, etc)

It's a pleasant hotel with a wide range of guests staying there and using the facilities. I personally don't find it good value for price paid, but I do have friends who like to stay there so do end up there every so often.

Highly inappropriate.

I personally don't really find the GF that special. It is a lot of money for three star service and product, and even then the service is not always up to par. Having said that, I have never had any feeling of inferiority there. I have met some wonderful CMs (especially some of the older people who work there). I have also met some indifferent ones (walking into an empty shop and never being acknowledged, while the CMs chat about their weekend, etc)

It's a pleasant hotel with a wide range of guests staying there and using the facilities. I personally don't find it good value for price paid, but I do have friends who like to stay there so do end up there every so often.
Like I said before that is the opinion of the Cast Member and weather you agree with it or not she is allowed to express it.

I stand by my assertion that it is highly inappropriate for a CM to be discussing other guests (or other CMs) with a guest. That could be grounds for discipline in many organizations.

I'm sure that you wouldn't like it if a CM discussed you and your family with other guests...
Actually the only reason we discussed the Royal Palm because we were wondering how it was different from the Atrium Club. Well it turned out this Cast Member use to work there because she said WDW has this program where Cast Members can try working at other Resorts to see if they like it. She then went on to say her comments without my family and I mentioning any of the guests who stay there and the Cast Members who work there.

How can a hotel be stuck up??? lol

Oh.....just kidding..

Anyway....we thoroughly enjoyed our stay...my kids wanted to move there...although their first impression was "too fancy"....they quickly got over it, they were 6 and 9.

You will encounter rude, obnoxious people in life....because unfortunately they do exist..even at WDW! THe horror! lol
The GF ia a building that may have these type of guests.....I would NEVER allow that to stop me from staying at a hotel.....
I would think that most folks who appear rude or snooty have other internal issues that may not even allow them to feel the magic at WDW.

THank goodness all of us can:)

We've stayed at GF and no I wouldn't stay there again. I didn't think all the CM's were "snooty" in fact the ones that were on duty the night we arrived were excellent -- extremely helpful and knowledgable. I couldn't say the same for the CM's who were on duty the third night of our trip when I fell down the steps, or had to get some motrin for my DD's arthritis and the gift shop was closing. There were still people in the store and they refused to let me in. My main reason for not staying there again has do more to the people who were visiting the resort. I'm sorry but I have a problem with being unable to use the lobby of the resort due to the number of people who are there for the Character Meals, or visiting the Gingerbread house ... I know it was Christmas and I expected it to be busy but it was insane. I wanted my DM to be able to enjoy the entertainment in the lobby but no matter when we tried we couldn't even find a place to sit and listen to the choirs or orchestra. And the people were just plain RUDE. Someone actually pushed my DM's wheelchair away so their DD could stand on the planter and have her picture taken. It was ridiculous. I assume that these people figure that they are paying big bucks to stay there and they are going to have things their way regardless of what they have to do to get it. ANyway, I don't think the people were snooty just RUDE and whoever said that it is becoming the norm here in Florida was so right. I also live in South Florida and would leave in a heartbeat if I could.

I should point out that I encountered rude people at MK as well on that trip. My main observation is that when people see a wheelchair they go out of their way to be nasty.

I may get flamed but here are my thoughts anyway- you can tell the clientele has more $$ to spend. For instance- instead of "non labeled" polo shirts from Target, a lot of the men are wearing POLO shirts- like the one's with the horse's on them. The kids have logo'd clothing from higher priced stores. Mom's are wearing shorts from places like Talbots instead of Walmart. Sunglasses have labels, mom's all have makeup on, and hair looking like it was just "done" etc etc.

HOWEVER, this by no means, has ANYTHING to do with them being stuck up. I didn't find anyone to look or act stuck up at all! On the contrary,at the end of the day I saw lots of kids dressed in Abercrombie clothes with messy hair, and whining. I found lots of parents in Talbots and banana republic outfits chasing their diapered 2 year old in Jamboree clothes...

Kids are kids, families are families regardless of the $$$ they have :) LOL! I would not hesitate to stay there for a second.

Ummm... guess I am guilty. I often wear Ralph Lauren polo shirts at WDW and do most of my shopping at Talbots. I 'do' my hair every day ie I brush and dry it....

Guess I should return the $5 skirt I bought online last night at the Talbot's outlet?

Being a savvy shopper who likes classic styles does not make me 'stuck up'. I just don't like most American styles, not being from America.

I see what you are getting at now that I reread your post though!

Gosh, I am guilty too:) ALthough its Gymboree....I love "label" clothes....especially at the outlets...:)

You are right asmit4......kids are kids...especially at WDW! I have seen posts on te boards from folks that say they can easily afford GF..but prefer Values!

GF is a great place to stay...and people watch! THere is no charge for that....and what a lobby to do it in! Have a cocktail..listen to music....and wonder...hmmm..look at that family.....Target or Talbots???? lol

Hey you can get some great deals on Polo!!! I got my husband 5 shirts at the end of summer and using a coupon for Macy's and it ended up averaging $6 a shirt.:rotfl:

I have a relative that makes A LOT more money than we do and would NEVER stay in a deluxe because she thinks it is a waste of money for them. It really all comes down to how people want to spend their money. What is important to them and what is not.

Sometimes people feel a place is going to be stuck up due to their perceptions of the place... not really what the reality is.

I have been there in 2/07 and it wasnt snooty at all!:snooty:

We even ate at Narcoossee's and I was scared to death because I didnt know how the restaurant was, but it was great! Over at the Dining Boards, everyone said to dress in slacks/button downs/ etc...but we wore jeans and nice shirts, and we even saw a woman wearing a jogging suit, so that was great! (and the food was EXCELLENT and the CM's were very nice).

I love it at the GF....and there are happy excited kids running around, folks in shorts, tshirts, flip flops, etc.

I loved it so much that we are going back for Christmas! :cloud9:

My main reason for not staying there again has do more to the people who were visiting the resort. I'm sorry but I have a problem with being unable to use the lobby of the resort due to the number of people who are there for the Character Meals, or visiting the Gingerbread house ... I know it was Christmas and I expected it to be busy but it was insane. I wanted my DM to be able to enjoy the entertainment in the lobby but no matter when we tried we couldn't even find a place to sit and listen to the choirs or orchestra. And the people were just plain RUDE. Someone actually pushed my DM's wheelchair away so their DD could stand on the planter and have her picture taken. It was ridiculous. I assume that these people figure that they are paying big bucks to stay there and they are going to have things their way regardless of what they have to do to get it.

I wouldn't assume that all of those people were actually staying at the GF... like you said, they came for a character meal, or to see the gingerbread house. I'm sure a great many of them were actually staying offsite or at other resorts, and just went to GF to see the sights.

Those type of comments are probably mostly coming from people who have never stayed there nor ever could stay there. IMO, it seems to be more of a stereotype comment ...

Like I said before that is the opinion of the Cast Member and weather you agree with it or not she is allowed to express it.

Actually I find it extremely inappropriate for a CM, while on duty, to tell you that her coworkers and customers are snooty and stuck up. Very much so.

Actually I find it extremely inappropriate for a CM, while on duty, to tell you that her coworkers and customers are snooty and stuck up. Very much so.
I am not defending what this Cast Member did, however maybe she had some bad experiences with some guests and some Cast Members, which might be the reason for the way she feels.

1) The CM's at "The Grand" used to have somewhat of a reputation.
2) However, it got cut down SEVERELY when they lost a star.
3) It hurts when you go from 4-to-3 !!!
4) The General Manager protested mightily, but to no avail.
5) Getting a dose of humble pie helps attitude.

I am not defending what this Cast Member did, however maybe she had some bad experiences with some guests and some Cast Members, which might be the reason for the way she feels.

She can feel however she wants, that doesn't mean that it was appropriate for her to say it to another guest.

We've stayed there twice, and the CMs were wonderful! Very friendly and competent. However, we will probably never stay there again, due to the aforementioned snootiness of many guests. We stayed in the honeymoon suite once (anniversary), and in Sugarloaf once (with the girls). Both times, I swear I felt like the Stepfords had moved in. It was really just NOT my kind of place, I didn't feel anywhere near as comfortable as I do at Wilderness Lodge.

I guess it takes all types for all the different places. My favorite place is WL, and I'm very uncomfortable with the atmosphere at GF - I'm sure others feel exactly the opposite, and that's a good thing, isn't it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter