Grand Californian

For those looking to use the pools - we were this week and were able to snag a cabana for our pool day! It was fantastic. I think, by 2 or 3, there was a waitlist for chairs 27 people deep! People were not happy.

For those who care considering a cabana, we enjoyed the convenience! We arrived at 10 and left at 6. I have two teens and an 11 year old. The kids alternated between swimming, watching movies, and reading and more swimming. We had lunch and dinner out at the pool. Having a dedicated server was GREAT as the pool was BUSY! My daughter made it her mission to save bees from drowning, too, lol! I'm happy to answer any questions!
What was the price for the cabana? And did you reserve in advance?

Did it look like the couch/daybed pods were fully booked each day? Just wondering if that is something I should call to reserve ahead of time or wait until we are actually there each day. That seems like a great option for my dd and I in August. We love the cabanas, but can't really justify it for just the two of us.

We are so excited to stay at the GCH (our very favorite hotel) in August for a belated grad trip for my dd. Girls' road trip!!!

Did it look like the couch/daybed pods were fully booked each day? Just wondering if that is something I should call to reserve ahead of time or wait until we are actually there each day. That seems like a great option for my dd and I in August. We love the cabanas, but can't really justify it for just the two of us.

We are so excited to stay at the GCH (our very favorite hotel) in August for a belated grad trip for my dd. Girls' road trip!!!

You should definitely book it in advance. You aren’t charged until you check-in to the pool and can cancel 24 hours before with no penalty.

We just stayed in one for the last three nights, but we had to ask for it. We also beat the check-in rush which may have helped.
Thank you for this. What time would you consider beating the check in rush? We usually check in around 1pm because we fly from Texas, and I feel like the check in is always crowded. I would love to check in a 8am and the maybe we would have a better chance. We have received this bedding configuration 2 times out of about 10 visits, I think.

Question on beds for any of the views of standard rooms. How likely is a double-queen with a sleeper sofa for a party of 4? We have two kids - 17 and 13 - who would prefer to not share a bed. Any info/suggestions are appreciated. TIA.

We are a family of 5 (19 year old b/g/g/ triplets). If they want to stay on property, they must make it work, meaning, no complaining, whining, etc. It does work great. If your children or you are on the short side, they have the cutest wooden stepping stool (I use to get on the bed). My son is 6ft+, and doesn't mind sleeping on the sleeper sofa.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!

We arrived today at GCH for our 6/20-24 trip! Check in was definitely a mad house. We got the text saying our room was ready at 2:30 - right when we were hoping to arrive. But traffic on the I5 was quite backed up and we didn't get here until 4:20. The line was huge and I wish we had just stored our luggage rather than waiting. We had done online checkin but it still took about an hour. Staff were all great, there just weren't enough of them. We didn't use bell services because that was going to be another wait.

But we made it into the parks for a nice Father's Day evening by 6 pm. Loved walking back through the private entrance too.

Thank you for this. What time would you consider beating the check in rush? We usually check in around 1pm because we fly from Texas, and I feel like the check in is always crowded. I would love to check in a 8am and the maybe we would have a better chance. We have received this bedding configuration 2 times out of about 10 visits, I think.

We checked in at 1 and when we came back to the hotel around 3, there were at least 30 families in line to check-in. Maybe you can call them the morning of and let them know that you would like to request that room if one is available?

We had done online checkin but it still took about an hour

A hotel charging $900 a night for a Marriott-quality room can't find a way to check people in in a matter of minutes? I hate to be so negative, but it isn't as if they just opened after the pandemic. They have been open for weeks now. If they can't staff properly by now, they are simply not paying competitive rates, which Disney can afford. If it wasn't for the location, the hotel would be out of business by now. If I were management of the hotel, I would be embarrassed and personally down there finding ways to fix the problem, every single day. If that meant my senior management for the hotel was working the front desk at busy times, then that's what we would do until we were staffed properly.

I am growing tired of paying Disney prices for less and less value. All this talk from the executives about how they want to shift the parks to offering premium experiences for the big money, and they can't even manage a premium hotel as one would expect for the price. I hope they realize that premium experience doesn't just mean you charge a fortune for a sub-par experience with the Disney name slapped on it.

Please make sure Disney gets your feedback about the checking process.

Last edited:
A hotel charging $900 a night for a Marriott-quality room can't find a way to check people in in a matter of minutes? I hate to be so negative, but it isn't as if they just opened after the pandemic. They have been open for weeks now. If they can't staff properly by now, they are simply not paying competitive rates, which Disney can afford. If it wasn't for the location, the hotel would be out of business by now. If I were management of the hotel, I would be embarrassed and personally down there finding ways to fix the problem, every single day. If that meant my senior management for the hotel was working the front desk at busy times, then that's what we would do until we were staffed properly.

I am growing tired of paying Disney prices for less and less value. All this talk from the executives about how they want to shift the parks to offering premium experiences for the big money, and they can't even manage a premium hotel as one would expect for the price. I hope they realize that premium experience doesn't just mean you charge a fortune for a sub-par experience with the Disney name slapped on it.

Please make sure Disney gets your feedback about the checking process.

When I stayed here 2 years ago, I was changing between the villas and the hotel. I came down at 6am to request that the change be made as quickly as possible, and whatever room was earliest available be given to us. It was a mess. Between a fire alarm that evacuated the hotel, and our having to go for the Oogie Boogie Bash, we didn't get into the room until 11pm (we got a text that it was ready at 6:30pm, 12 hours after I went downstairs to request a little help with the transfer. The lines to check in and out were incredibly long. I chalk that up to no one at the desk rushes guests, which is lovely, but sometimes, RUSH ME. I don't need to know the history of the wood grain, I just need to get my suitcase to my room. I can guarantee that if I am paying rack rate this time, I will have to repress my inner Karen. Which is kind of a lie, I don't have an inner Karen, because Mama didn't raise me that way, but I somehow, I will use the line about a Marriott quality room and why is it taking so long.

I’m wondering about the order we should park versus checking in? Do they give you a slip of paper at check in that we need to display to park at the hotel or can I park and then go and check in (preferably without having to walk back out to put the permit on the dashboard)?

I’m wondering about the order we should park versus checking in? Do they give you a slip of paper at check in that we need to display to park at the hotel or can I park and then go and check in (preferably without having to walk back out to put the permit on the dashboard)?
Check in then park. They won’t let you do it the other way ‘round.

My husband is going to be joining the rest of our family several hours after we arrive and needs to leave early on our last day, so we are going to have 2 cars. Does anyone remember hearing that there is a one car limit in the GCH lot right now? I vaguely remember this, but don’t want to wait on hold for an hour to find out. Has anyone parked 2 cars recently?

My husband is going to be joining the rest of our family several hours after we arrive and needs to leave early on our last day, so we are going to have 2 cars. Does anyone remember hearing that there is a one car limit in the GCH lot right now? I vaguely remember this, but don’t want to wait on hold for an hour to find out. Has anyone parked 2 cars recently?
My understanding is you will be able to park 2 cars, but will have to pay for both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter