Grand Californian Super Thread

Having stayed at the DLH several times, we decided to try the GC using this weekend’s Spring Dapper Days rates. We booked a standard room, double queen, and I requested a location near the Napa Rose elevators at check-in. We were surprised to be upgraded to a partial park view room (5404) with a daybed! Overall, we loved our stay due to the easy access to DCA, remodeled bathrooms, and our patio with view of woods, park (grizzly peak, guardians) and the monorail running right below our room. It also made our afternoon break and post-10 pm WOC trek back with the kids much easier, in comparison to walking back to DLH!

Our only hiccup was that I declined the offer for charging capabilities on my room key, and didn’t realize that also blocked us from charging room service back to our room. So they delivered the food and then called for my card unexpectedly, which was a little weird. But aside from that, we experienced excellent service and will stay there again!

Planning a visit with a toddler who climbs out of cribs/pack n plays like a pro so will be in a bed! Does the hotel provide toddler rails upon request?

Last edited:
Having stayed at the DLH several times, we decided to try the GC using this weekend’s Spring Dapper Days rates. We booked a standard room, double queen, and I requested a location near the Napa Rose elevators at check-in. We were surprised to be upgraded to a partial park view room (5404) with a daybed! Overall, we loved our stay due to the easy access to DCA, remodeled bathrooms, and our patio with view of woods, park (grizzly peak, guardians) and the monorail running right below our room. It also made our afternoon break and post-10 pm WOC trek back with the kids much easier, in comparison to walking back to DLH!/QUOTE]

Let me make your day by letting you know we were given these rooms (one floor down) as PREMIUM rooms..... (See my separate thread). I like them a lot too, but not paying premium prices for them. Room 4438 is a PV, next door, Room 4436 is a woods view rate. Same view, but a lot cheaper.

Let me make your day by letting you know we were given these rooms (one floor down) as PREMIUM rooms..... (See my separate thread). I like them a lot too, but not paying premium prices for them. Room 4438 is a PV, next door, Room 4436 is a woods view rate. Same view, but a lot cheaper.

I saw your thread, and I would have been upset, too. Honestly, I was thrilled with our room for $330 per night, but I don't think the GC is worth $700/nt - those are Montage prices! The convenience is wonderful, though, and the service was much more attentive than we experienced during our last few DLH stays, with the exception of our bucket-list Fairytale Suite splurge last year.

I saw your thread, and I would have been upset, too. Honestly, I was thrilled with our room for $330 per night, but I don't think the GC is worth $700/nt - those are Montage prices! The convenience is wonderful, though, and the service was much more attentive than we experienced during our last few DLH stays, with the exception of our bucket-list Fairytale Suite splurge last year.

I agree - and the convenience is hard to beat!

Can someone show me on a map where you exit grand California to get into downtown Disney to go to the main entrance into DCA? Like where is the where is the security check point at?

Also, unrelated.... How rare are king beds?

Can someone show me on a map where you exit grand California to get into downtown Disney to go to the main entrance into DCA? Like where is the where is the security check point at?
Security checkpoints are the GREEN arrows:
map_gch_security.jpg
Also, unrelated.... How rare are king beds?
Official numbers have not been released, but I would guess 20% of the rooms have king beds.

According to the front desk this week when I enquired after one, there are 70 rooms with king beds... so very rare..

As of last Saturday it was very much still under construction...looked to be several weeks or more away from completion.

I just called GCH to request room close to Napa Rose elevator for this weekend.... based on other recommendations I’ve read. Was told this elevator is under renovation which means can’t access first floor from elevators - only can go levels 2-6. How inconvenient is this? I really don’t know -total newbie.

Hi all! WDW Vet/DL Rookie staying at GCH in Nov for our first trip. Haven’t decided between Standard, Pool or Theme Park View yet, but will have 3 adults and 1 teen, so would LOVE 2 queens and a daybed or twin pullout chair. Do we know if one room type/view is better than another for a shot at that configuration? Also, what’s the best way to submit that request? Thanks much!

Here's a picture of the pool area from yesterday. Sorry I wasn’t able to get a view from above. I’m guessing there’s still a lot of work to do.

D3A8DDBD-FE39-4150-B0B1-0F55884C6580.jpeg

I was in room 4453, at the very end of the wing overlooking La Brea bakery. Great view, but a looooong walk. I so wish they still had that secret exit. The room had 2 queen beds and a loveseat, no daybed.

Here’s the view looking straight out. If I leaned over the wall and looked left I could see the fireworks!

557CCB8B-7FBB-48E2-B1C6-6DB14AFF9DF5.jpeg

Here’s the view looking to the right.

AD239609-8F05-477D-AD71-897AE2E277B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 377D4D46-5938-47C2-909C-2282E86C8BBA.jpeg
    377D4D46-5938-47C2-909C-2282E86C8BBA.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 11
Hi all! WDW Vet/DL Rookie staying at GCH in Nov for our first trip. Haven’t decided between Standard, Pool or Theme Park View yet, but will have 3 adults and 1 teen, so would LOVE 2 queens and a daybed or twin pullout chair. Do we know if one room type/view is better than another for a shot at that configuration? Also, what’s the best way to submit that request? Thanks much!

Since the update, I believe there are more rooms for 5 people. Every time we have stayed at the GCH, we have gotten the two queens and daybed. I would ask nicely when you make your reservation. We have been in standard rooms. I hope that helps some.

This is kind of a silly question but I was wondering if I will be able to watch HBO in my room at GCH? I already have an existing HBO package through DirecTV and I was wondering if that is possible without having to pay anything extra?

Also, we are arriving early Sunday morning (8ish am) and was wondering if our chances are better if I request a courtyard/woods view room with only a standard room reservation?

Thanks.

This is kind of a silly question but I was wondering if I will be able to watch HBO in my room at GCH? I already have an existing HBO package through DirecTV and I was wondering if that is possible without having to pay anything extra?
Amazon Fire stick will work. Fire has a mini-browser to "accept terms" to connect to the hotel WiFi.
Select external HDMI input using "INPUT" button on TV remote or tune to channel 92 (or nearby channel), method depends on TV model and configuration.

We use Fire to stream Netflix and Amazon, but HBO GO should also work.

...Also, we are arriving early Sunday morning (8ish am) and was wondering if our chances are better if I request a courtyard/woods view room with only a standard room reservation?
Early checkin does help with requests, and courtyard is a common upgrade from standard.
I usually request an area of the hotel, rather than a specific upgraded view

Good idea on Firestick.
For iPhone you can also buy an HDMI output for your charging (lightening) port. It has HDMI as well as a charging port. This way any streaming apps on your phone are fair game. Can also watch your own videos/photos from the day. Never had a problem with it on GCH TVs, or any other hotel TV with HDMI port; we have used everywhere. Not sure about an Android equivalent.

Note we have official Apple model-- can't speak to the knock offs.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-Adapter-MD826AM/dp/B009WHV3BM/

I hope next round of TVs will accept wireless airplay.

Edit: Hmmm looks like you can Airplay through the Firestick. Just takes another app and some tinkering.

Last edited:
Hi All, does anyone have experience with charging ev vehicles at the grand Californian? I am staying at a Dvc resort and driving down for the first time in a model 3 from sf.... anyone have any experience doing this? What are the options? What do they charge? Is there a maximum time limit? How available are they?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter