Grand Californian Super Thread

I think we've decided on the GC for this summer. We've done two good neighbors, DL Hotel last year and now were moving on up. Shooting for July.

IMG_3001.jpg

Does anyone have pictures of all the pools?
How many hot tubs are there? Is the hottub as big as Neverland pool's?

I think we've decided on the GC for this summer. We've done two good neighbors, DL Hotel last year and now were moving on up. Shooting for July.

IMG_3001.jpg

Such a beautiful picture! It makes me want to go and plunk myself down in one of those deceptively relaxing and magical chairs!!:rotfl2:

Does anyone have pictures of all the pools?
How many hot tubs are there? Is the hottub as big as Neverland pool's?

There are 2 hottubs. I haven't seen the Neverland pool's so I couldn't help you with that.

710b14a1.jpg

5280fc2e.jpg

Regarding the faxing of a room request, I faxed one two weeks prior to my arrival. I received a short, polite email saying that they do not accept room requests and that they should be made upon check in at the hotel. Just wanted to save you time from typing up a letter. When I checked in I asked if they got my fax and they didn't know what I was talking about, so I assume it ended up in the recycle can!!

Thanks MommiePrincess for the heads up! I think I'll just try requesting when we check-in and see what happens :)

Thanks DmaxHawk. Just the pictures I was looking for. We are planning to stay for the 5 night deal for the price of 3 but I am wondering if it is worth it to spend an extra day there. I kind of was hoping to hit a beach one day (thinking Corona Del Mar because we've seen Newport and Coronado in San Diego) and I would love to be able to see Joshua Tree National Park or Death Valley. JTNP looks like its over two hours away. Is it worth a day trip out there? What about Palm Springs? I'm looking for a fun day trip. Is another day worth it?

Thanks DmaxHawk. Just the pictures I was looking for. We are planning to stay for the 5 night deal for the price of 3 but I am wondering if it is worth it to spend an extra day there. I kind of was hoping to hit a beach one day (thinking Corona Del Mar because we've seen Newport and Coronado in San Diego) and I would love to be able to see Joshua Tree National Park or Death Valley. JTNP looks like its over two hours away. Is it worth a day trip out there? What about Palm Springs? I'm looking for a fun day trip. Is another day worth it?
Day trip, huh? Sorry, but Death Valley and JTNP do not excite me that much. Off the top of my head...Santa Monica Pier. Or drive up the coast to Santa Barbara and have lunch on their pier. Maybe Mission San Juan Capistrano. La Jolla in San Diego - walk along the rocky coast and cove, explore the sea cave, shop in the, well, shops ;) and eat at a restaurant overlooking the water (they had a Charthouse steak house when I lived there which was nice).

Or....this could finally be the time for you to make that day trip to Catalina Island (which you were considering last year, as I recall). Long Beach (where the Catalina Express is located) is about 20 minutes driving from Anaheim. The boat takes about an hour to get to the Island and back (an hour each way, that is). Now that summer season is about to hit, some of the really cool tours like the Flying Fish Tour are going to begin soon (in early June). They also added in a new Zip Line attraction which is already a huge hit. It's a really great day trip - very addictive, much like DLR is, and very picturesque.

Day trip, huh? Sorry, but Death Valley and JTNP do not excite me that much. Off the top of my head...Santa Monica Pier. Or drive up the coast to Santa Barbara and have lunch on their pier. Maybe Mission San Juan Capistrano. La Jolla in San Diego - walk along the rocky coast and cove, explore the sea cave, shop in the, well, shops ;) and eat at a restaurant overlooking the water (they had a Charthouse steak house when I lived there which was nice).

What I was going to suggest.:thumbsup2

Also the Griffith Park Observatory is amazing. Really impressed with it.

Palm Springs is too far to drive for a day trip (IMO). If you haven't done it before something that is close, and really cool, is the Getty Museum in Santa Monica. It is absolutely gorgeous, and fun!!

just got back this week from a ten day stay at the grand and was very happy that on check in ask what bed arangment we had as we requested a room with bunks but was told we had two queens so i asked if there there was a bunk room even as a upgrade and the cm said he would check and be right back.When he came back a few monents later he told me thay were upgrading us to a park view:cool1:.Spent the next ten days looking out just to the right of soaring california with the ocational view of testing of the new world of coulor show:cool1:.Was so happy with the grand cali bought into the dvc.

Spent the next ten days looking out just to the right of soaring california with the ocational view of testing of the new world of coulor show:cool1:.Was so happy with the grand cali bought into the dvc.

Welcome Home Neighbor! Come join us on the VGC owners group thread.

I'm looking forward to our second VGC stay in Nov.:cloud9:

Seeing the pictures of the pools got me thinking. For those of you that have stayed there before, is it hard to get a lounge chair around the pool. It looks like they have quite a few but just wondering. We are going in July and plan on hanging around the pool for our afternoon break.

Or....this could finally be the time for you to make that day trip to Catalina Island (which you were considering last year, as I recall). Long Beach (where the Catalina Express is located) is about 20 minutes driving from Anaheim. The boat takes about an hour to get to the Island and back (an hour each way, that is). Now that summer season is about to hit, some of the really cool tours like the Flying Fish Tour are going to begin soon (in early June). They also added in a new Zip Line attraction which is already a huge hit. It's a really great day trip - very addictive, much like DLR is, and very picturesque.

Nice Memory Sherry E.
I'm just afraid of the cost of the ferry ride over. I think I remember it to be around $60 per person. That would be $300. It is something I really would like to see though. I even ordered the visitors guide last year. We drove the PCH all way up the coast last year so I really don't want to get caught North of LA. I'm really excited about GC.

Such a beautiful picture! It makes me want to go and plunk myself down in one of those deceptively relaxing and magical chairs!!:rotfl2:

Me too, Sherry...we will be back in less than 3 weeks and I may just run over to CA, buy a gingerbread man cookie, and hang out in the lobby for a while :cloud9:

Nice Memory Sherry E.
I'm just afraid of the cost of the ferry ride over. I think I remember it to be around $60 per person. That would be $300. It is something I really would like to see though. I even ordered the visitors guide last year. We drove the PCH all way up the coast last year so I really don't want to get caught North of LA. I'm really excited about GC.

Yikes! Sounds like the boat fare went up quite a bit from when I was last there. Time for me to dig out the good ol' coupon for Catalina Express from the Entertainment Book! But, yes, if you ever get over there, I have a feeling you will love Catalina. Based on the photos I have seen that you've taken, I can tell you appreciate scenery and panoramic, beautiful surroundings and that sort of thing so I think it would be a great day or weekend trip. But that is a lot of money to spend on just a day trip for 5 people - you're right about that!

Me too, Sherry...we will be back in less than 3 weeks and I may just run over to CA, buy a gingerbread man cookie, and hang out in the lobby for a while :cloud9:

BunnieGene - you may be the only person who understands why I get excited to go and sit in a chair!!!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I keep saying, "But those are special chairs..." They don't look like much but after a few minutes of sitting in one, it is hard to get up and going!!:rotfl2:

Well, one plus of no one *getting* the chairs but us is that there will always be one available when we visit :goodvibes

Well, one plus of no one *getting* the chairs but us is that there will always be one available when we visit :goodvibes

Very true!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Although people do seem to "get" them a little better around the holidays, when they are all camped out around the big tree. I think that's just all the activity going on at that time of year that draws people in. But, in October when we sat down for a bit, no one was really there. For the most part, I think people see the GCH chairs and just think, "Eh...chairs...big deal..." So the longer we can keep the secret of their magical powers, the better!!;)

First of all, WELCOME. I did not see anything when we were there last August and I have to have my coffee.

Jack

You can get coffee and pastries at the Hearthstone Lounge, at least you could a year ago! Now that I have my DVC (and can't drink coffee), I just make tea in the room :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter