Gold Mobility Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyTutter

Mouseketeer
We just came back from a 6 day stay at WDW. I needed to rent a scooter or there was no way I was going to make it through day 1. After reading posts in this forum & looking at the individual companies, Gold Mobility seemed to be the best fit for us & I'm very glad we choose them.

Gold Mobility Scooters (GMS) was wonderful!! I reserved the Pride Go-Go Sport (4 wheel) online for $161 for 7 days (we only used them for 6 days though, it came to $26 & change per day, it would have been $23 a day for 7 days). I was texted the night before to verify our meeting time. They met us at the hotel (on time) & they processed our credit card. Not only did the young man arrive on time (I can't remember his name but he was from Connecticut & wonderful!!!!), he demonstrated to my husband how to dissemble the scooter, put it in the car & then reassemble. It was a blue scooter, most of those that I saw in the parks were red.

The scooter came with the user manual, a phone holder (don't keep your phone in it on rough/cobble stoned terrain, my phone fell out), phone charger, a drink holder & a front basket. He then asked if we wanted a rear basket for no extra charge, yes please! We were given a "shower cap" for the controller in case of rain & 4 ponchos. We had to use all of these during the week.

We signed the rental paperwork & off we went. The scooter came in very handy to unload the car, the suitcases rolled just fine along side the scooter & the baskets held quite a bit! We parked it at night behind the door, there was a space in between the bed & the wall/door where the scooter fit very well.

We started out the next day with the scooter, a very wet soggy Saturday. I highly recommend using an umbrella & not just a poncho. My legs got soaking wet when I used just the poncho. I also suggest buying a real shower cap before leaving home because the one provided was thin & I had to take it on & off several times and it did rip. It rained a lot, the shower cap was taken on & off because it would storm & then stop, storm & then stop. The concept worked great though! We finally got a larger bag to put over the steering column & all was well. The shower cap will cover the key and battery gauge so it did help that the cap was clear plastic.

This scooter maneuvered very well in all the lines, it turns very well. The seat turns so I could pull up next to a table & sit with no problem. It is smaller than the ones that Disney rents. I only had to transfer to a wheelchair on the HM, FOP & POC.

To make a long story short, we had absolutely no problems with the scooter & had no need to call Gold Mobility during our rental. The lights underneath the scooter did come in handy, it helped people see me better, I did receive a lot of compliments on them. The battery gauge has about 10 "dots" - red indicates low/dead battery, green is charged. Only on the day we were at Animal Kingdom from 7:30 am to 11:00 pm did the battery drop to 9 dots. Pretty impressive!

We texted the night before our departure to rearrange our pickup time (earlier than originally arranged) & they were again there on time to pick up the scooter. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach & the rep came to our room to pickup the scooter. FYI, we invited him in & he told us that per Disney policy they are not allowed to come into the room so he didn't come in.

I will rent from Gold Mobility again & I highly recommend them. We were told that they do not advertise, they work on word of mouth. If you use them please give a report online, this business deserves to be recognized and patronized.

Thanks so much for your review! Do you happen to remember how the "Toggles" (the speed things) worked? Did you squeeze the handle, like Buena Vista, or did you push a lever with your thumb?Just took a quick look at their website and their rates look awesome. Definitely worth considering for my next trip.

You pull the right handle to go forward & pull left to reverse. If I ever have to rent again I want to get a rearview mirror & bring it with me. It would help SO much.

I see he met you at the hotel and processed the charges there. Do you know if they take payment ahead of time and can then leave the scooter with the bell desk? Would love to have the ECV waiting for us when we arrive. We've used Buena Vista before and it worked well.

I see he met you at the hotel and processed the charges there. Do you know if they take payment ahead of time and can then leave the scooter with the bell desk? Would love to have the ECV waiting for us when we arrive. We've used Buena Vista before and it worked well.
No, they would not be able to.
Only specific ‘Featured Providers’ are allowed to leave the ECV at Bell Services. Other companies must arrange to meet with guests for delivery and pick up.

Buena Vista is one of the Featured Providers. Gold Mobility is not, so they are not allowed to leave the ECV at Bell Services.
Post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has more information, including a list of the Featured Providers.

They will process the payment before but they can't leave it with the bell desk. He was there right after we arrived, no waiting.

Interestingly, the fact that Buena Vista leaves it with bell services has both pros and cons to me. For one thing, last time we were there, bell services couldn't find the key that had been left assigned to my scooter, so they had to find another key "that worked" (giving credence to the fact that multiple keys are interchangeable and yes, someone may drive off with your scooter). The other thing that makes me uneasy is that I read here about someone who returned their scooter and then BV called them and said they went to the resort and no scooter! Thus, there was a problem with the renter saying they'd returned the scooter. I noticed that when I returned my scooter, there was no place to sign, and the bell services person just took it and pushed it toward the storage room. I made sure I took notice of his name and town, and the time I returned it-just in case!

Yes, I read that post too. What a headache! But I think eventually they located it.
Its just a matter of timing and I will talk to them when I rent and see what the options are. It sounds like they are very responsible and will be there when they say they will. I looked at their website and their scooters look very nice! The last one we had from BV was a bit beat up, but worked fine, so no big deal.

Thank you for this! My DH threw his back completely out and we head down on June 9th. So for the first time we will need a ECV. I was reading all about the different vendors and saw this and after researching, this was the best choice. Love the blue and all the extras. Booked online and spoke to someone with my questions.

I will let you know how it goes!

Good luck!! FYI, the basket for the back we were given was large enough for a small cooler.

If anyone else has an experience with Gold Mobility, I'd really like to hear it. Thinking of trying it on my next trip.

I'm using them for my trip in less than 2 weeks. I will definitely report back on my experience. :moped:

No, they would not be able to.
Only specific ‘Featured Providers’ are allowed to leave the ECV at Bell Services. Other companies must arrange to meet with guests for delivery and pick up.

Buena Vista is one of the Featured Providers. Gold Mobility is not, so they are not allowed to leave the ECV at Bell Services.
Post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has more information, including a list of the Featured Providers.

If anyone else has an experience with Gold Mobility, I'd really like to hear it. Thinking of trying it on my next trip.

I read all of Gold Mobility Scooter website and I submit they are using False Advertising. Near the end, after pictures of rental strollers, they display information that appears official Disney, unequivocally stating that all scooters must be delivered directly to the guests and Bell Services can No Longer accept delivery.
I will not use, and recommend against any company that lies.
i am only a scooter user not related to any company.

I read all of Gold Mobility Scooter website and I submit they are using False Advertising. Near the end, after pictures of rental strollers, they display information that appears official Disney, unequivocally stating that all scooters must be delivered directly to the guests and Bell Services can No Longer accept delivery.
I will not use, and recommend against any company that lies.
i am only a scooter user not related to any company.

*Not* sticking up for them, but I wonder if they worded it from the perspective of a non "Featured Providers" perspective - remembering that once upon a time EVERY vendor in Orlando was able to just drop off and pick up from Bell Services at every WDW Resort at will (meaning whenever they wanted/needed to).

*Not* sticking up for them, but I wonder if they worded it from the perspective of a non "Featured Providers" perspective - remembering that once upon a time EVERY vendor in Orlando was able to just drop off and pick up from Bell Services at every WDW Resort at will (meaning whenever they wanted/needed to).
Did you go to the web site and look at it?
That is not how it looked to me.
To my knowledge, they are a new vendor in this market. I worry that they could scam folks. It didn't look good to me. I have "no skin in this game" other than that I am a scooter user too.

Did you go to the web site and look at it?
That is not how it looked to me.
To my knowledge, they are a new vendor in this market. I worry that they could scam folks. It didn't look good to me. I have "no skin in this game" other than that I am a scooter user too.

I got curious (LOL, you know me - I don't need to rent a scooter, but this kind of piqued my interest) and I went to the website.

Here's (copied and pasted) what I found, towards the bottom of the page, under a GIANT Disney logo:

If you are staying at a Disney Resort
In November 2012 Disney changed its policy regarding delivery and pick up of mobility scooter rentals and stroller rentals.

All scooter rental and stroller rental deliveries & pickups MUST BE MADE DIRECTLY TO THE GUEST.

Bell stations OR concierge will NO LONGER accept delivery for the guest for scooter rental or stroller rental .

You will receive a call from Gold Mobility prior to your delivery to setup up a specific delivery and pick-up appointment times for your scooter rental or stroller rental products. Free delivery and pick-up is provided to a Disney World Resort guests.

Having read the entire page down to that point, I (personally) don't take that to mean ALL rental vendors, but that Gold is doing what they claim they will further up the page - delivering directly to the renter, at a pre-arranged time. That's all.

I agree that if you take that paragraph out of context, it could be construed that Gold is claiming that *every* rental vendor now has to follow those rules - which, as we know does not hold true for "Featured Providers" who have basically paid-to-play with Disney.

But in the context of their page, I think it's OK. Quite frankly, given the information that @Starwind found, I was expecting a more "polished" and professional look to the website, but that's a personal opinion.

@Hopefully, like you, I never want to see anyone get ripped off - and given this is such a new company (relatively speaking) there's not a lot of feedback about them, like there is for some of the other companies that have been around longer. But there's always room in any market for a good, solid company that wants to do right by their customers. Let's hope that Gold's is one of those companies! :)

I can understand being skeptical about a new vendor. I was too. However, I did my homework, spoke to the vendor on the phone & asked all the questions that I felt were necessary to assure myself that they were legitimate.

Having just rented from them I can tell you that they NEVER in any way tried to insinuate that they were "a featured provider" either on the phone or in person. They told me up front that they would have to deliver directly to me, in fact I had to sign for the scooter. They were totally up front about everything. I was able to reserve, rent and use the scooter worry free for 6 days. When the young man came to pick up the scooter he said he could meet us at our room or at the front lobby (actually he would meet us wherever we asked him too) but it had to be in person. He told us up front that per Disney policy he could not come in the room.

When needed, I will rent from them again & I will recommend them to any that ask. As with any decision, take the time to make a call & do your own "due diligence". My needs and questions may be different from yours.

I called them today to check out the difference in them and Apple scooter who I always use. I switched by the end of the phone call. I am saving $60 for my 14 day trip by switching. Plus I love the look and features I saw on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!