Gold Mobility Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, chelynnah. What a great trip report. Especially dealing with unique issues traveling from overseas and using a UK phone and everything else.

Another good review for Gold Mobility Scooters, LLC.
Thanks. That was something I wanted to address specifically as it has been an issue in the past, so was one of my concerns that they were able to address. And again it made a big difference.

I think it’s part of it. I also think having a minimum 7 day rental makes a difference to how used and battered the scooters get. It guarantees a maximum number of users over the time before they sell it on, and most will have had less than that maximum
This is very true, especially when you have people like me that go for around two weeks at a time.

I think it’s part of it. I also think having a minimum 7 day rental makes a difference to how used and battered the scooters get. It guarantees a maximum number of users over the time before they sell it on, and most will have had less than that maximum

Although just as a note, they have a minimum CHARGE of 7 days, not a minimum rental period of 7 days.

We will be renting from GMS for our next trip, but it will be for less than 7 days [but will be charged the minimum 7 day charge].

While I am sure many users who only need a rental for a couple days will go with a different provider [most other companies have a 2 day minimum; Disney is a 1 day minimum] rather than pay so much more, that may not be the case in all circumstances.

SW

Although just as a note, they have a minimum CHARGE of 7 days, not a minimum rental period of 7 days.

We will be renting from GMS for our next trip, but it will be for less than 7 days [but will be charged the minimum 7 day charge].

While I am sure many users who only need a rental for a couple days will go with a different provider [most other companies have a 2 day minimum; Disney is a 1 day minimum] rather than pay so much more, that may not be the case in all circumstances.

SW
This is a valid point, although their 7 days is less than 4 at some other providers, so it may still be cheaper to rent from Gold Mobility than elsewhere depending on the length of your trip. Personally, we never do less than a week, but that is what happens when coming from California, you have to make it worth the trip.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - WDW RESERVATIONS
If you haven't already heard. Today Disney has announced new regulations, and restrictions for the use of strollers and scooters allowed in the Disney theme parks. These new restrictions affect the type and size of both strollers and mobility scooters that can be operated in the parks. This change also affects some accessories. These new restrictions go into effect on May 1, 2019
Today at Gold Mobility we have received hundreds of phone calls asking if our rental scooters and strollers that customers rent from us meet the new requirements for use in the Disney World theme parks and resorts.
We are happy to say that all of our mobility rental scooters, accessories, and all rental strollers we offer meet all the new requirements that were published on the Walt Disney World Website today. We guaranteed it 100%. Here is a link to the Disney site where the new regulations are posted https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/
Today's booking volume for us at Gold Mobility Scooters has increased 300% in the past 8 hours. There is no need panic as we have plenty of rental mobility scooters and strollers available in stock for immediate rental and for future bookings. If required we can easily and immediately expand inventory to accommodate more equipment for reservations as needed.
Due to high call volume, the best place to reserve your rental item for the next 48 hours is online at our website at *********************com its open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's Simple and easy way to book! No Change Fees or Cancellation Charges ever! We accept reservations up to one year in advance.

@RaySharpton Yes, I noticed the ECV/wheelchair size in the revised park rules -- and honestly, I thought it used to be 30 x 48" so the new size is actually bigger. I'll have to dig through some threads to see if I can find that. Maybe I just remembered it wrong.

@RaySharpton Yes, I noticed the ECV/wheelchair size in the revised park rules -- and honestly, I thought it used to be 30 x 48" so the new size is actually bigger. I'll have to dig through some threads to see if I can find that. Maybe I just remembered it wrong.

Hi, lanejudy. I thought so too. I copy and pasted the info from the Disney website for mobility scooters, strollers, wagons, and backpacks.

Wheeled mobility devices with less than three wheels or devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered and/or unoccupied. Training wheels and/or modifications are not permitted. Devices must be manually or electrically powered and operated at a walking pace. Devices should be a single rider and not exceed 36" (92cm) in width and 52" (132cm) in length.

Strollers that are greater than 36" (92cm) in width and 52" (132cm) in length.

NOTE: Effective May 1, 2019, strollers that are greater than 31” (79 cm) in width and 52” (132cm) in length will be prohibited.

Stroller wagons will also be prohibited.

Wagons are prohibited at any Theme Park or Water Park.

Wagons are prohibited at indoor venues at ESPN Wide World of Sports.

Any trailer-like object that is pushed, pulled or towed by an Electric Conveyance Vehicle, wheelchair, stroller or person.

Suitcases, bags, coolers or backpacks, with or without wheels, larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (61cm x 38cm x 46cm) are not allowed in any Theme Park or Water Park.

Loose or dry ice is not permitted in these containers. Re-usable ice packs are recommended.

Folding chairs are not allowed in any Theme Park, Water Park or Disney Springs.

Last edited:

So, I used way back machine to review the rules page back to Jan 20, 2018 and it has been 36" x 52" since at least then.

I wonder are the smaller dimensions for the buses?

Screenshot_20190328-223039.png

Even going all the way back to October 7, 2014, the dimensions were the same. So I really don't see any changed to the rules for wheelchairs or ECVs. Maybe I am missing something, but 2014 is the furthest back I can go for the rules page, so maybe it was a different size before then.

Screenshot_20190328-223714.png

ETA: Ok, I found the size difference, the size you guys are thinking of are indeed for the buses:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/policy-about-size-of-scooters-on-buses.2566471/

The policy linked is for park rules, as near as I can tell no policies for ECVs or wheelchairs have changed with this announcement.

Last edited:
So, I used way back machine to review the rules page back to Jan 20, 2018, and it has been 36" x 52" since at least then.

I wonder are the smaller dimensions for the buses?

View attachment 391352

Even going all the way back to October 7, 2014, the dimensions were the same. So I really don't see any changed to the rules for wheelchairs or ECVs. Maybe I am missing something, but 2014 is the furthest back I can go for the rules page, so maybe it was a different size before then.

View attachment 391353

ETA: Ok, I found the size difference, the size you guys are thinking of are indeed for the buses:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/policy-about-size-of-scooters-on-buses.2566471/

The policy linked is for park rules, as near as I can tell no policies for ECVs or wheelchairs have changed with this announcement.

Thanks for the link, cmwade77

So per KPeviler's post on 09/29/2010,
The maximum size allowed on the buses, as defined by the ADA is 30 inches wide by 48 inches long. This size MUST include all baskets and bags, according to the policy.

And per cmwade77's info from 10/07/2014, the maximum size allowed on the buses, as defined by the ADA is 36 inches wide by 52 inches long. This size MUST include all baskets and bags, according to the policy.

I didn't realize that. I wonder if is the same for buses, too.

Last edited:
Actually, it is 30 x 52, not 36 x 52 and Disney says for strollers that they are measured based on the longest and widest points, which I would think would include any accessories, if the seat lays flat, then with the seat laid down, etc. So my guess is it is the same for the dimensions inside the parks as well.

Basically, the maximum dimensions specified for both the bus and the parks aren't really due to policy as much as that is what will physically fit on the Disney Transportation and for the parks that is what will fit in the queues, at Disneyland what will fit through the turnstiles so they don't have to open a side gate, etc.

Now the question is if Disney will ever update sizes for the buses, since they have updated them since the buses used have to have stairs an wheelchair lifts. The buses with ramps can physically handle larger ECVs than those could.

But the bottom line is if the ECV fits on Disney Transportation, then it would automatically be within the size limits for the parks. But the reverse is not true, as larger ECVs are allowed in the parks than can fit on the buses.

Actually, it is 30 x 52, not 36 x 52

No. I don't know what you are quoting as 30 x 52.

• New WDW policy for strollers: 31" (79cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length
  • New WDW policy for wheeled mobility devices: not to exceed 36" (96cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

I believe maximum dimensions within the parks are based on pathways and doorways, with an eye towards keeping traffic flowing and preventing someone getting "stuck" in an area their device won't fit.

Yes, it does appear that the smaller dimensions I was remembering are for bus transportation -- "the box" painted on the ground. Likely due to tie-downs and space allotted to avoid blocking the aisle. It is surprising that the rules state the larger size allowed into the parks without mention of smaller restrictions for the buses. Though, I believe most of the rentals (even the tank-sized in-park rentals) fit within the bus guideline. So presumably relatively few outliers in the larger size.

No. I don't know what you are quoting as 30 x 52.

• New WDW policy for strollers: 31" (79cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length
  • New WDW policy for wheeled mobility devices: not to exceed 36" (96cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

I believe maximum dimensions within the parks are based on pathways and doorways, with an eye towards keeping traffic flowing and preventing someone getting "stuck" in an area their device won't fit.

Yes, it does appear that the smaller dimensions I was remembering are for bus transportation -- "the box" painted on the ground. Likely due to tie-downs and space allotted to avoid blocking the aisle. It is surprising that the rules state the larger size allowed into the parks without mention of smaller restrictions for the buses. Though, I believe most of the rentals (even the tank-sized in-park rentals) fit within the bus guideline. So presumably relatively few outliers in the larger size.
You are right, it is 30"x48" on the bus (the post I was responding to was about what is allowed on the bus):

Not, 30"x52", sorry for the confusion there.

There is another spot on Disney's website that refers to Disney Transportation and accessibility, although I do think that should at least be linked:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

But note they no longer mention the size that works on the buses (but it used to on that page, or maybe it was somewhere else on Disney's site), so I wonder if it is now the rule of if it fits, it is good to go? At any rate, I think it is safe to say if it fits on the bus, it is within the rules for the parks, providing it has a speed control.

You are right, it is 30"x48" on the bus (the post I was responding to was about what is allowed on the bus):

Not, 30"x52", sorry for the confusion there.

There is another spot on Disney's website that refers to Disney Transportation and accessibility, although I do think that should at least be linked:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

But note they no longer mention the size that works on the buses (but it used to on that page, or maybe it was somewhere else on Disney's site), so I wonder if it is now the rule of if it fits, it is good to go? At any rate, I think it is safe to say if it fits on the bus, it is within the rules for the parks, providing it has a speed control.

THey do still mention the bus size on the park guides for guests with disabilities. Here is the MK example: https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/dam/disney-world/destinations/magic-kingdom/mk-0119-gfgwd-os.pdf

Top left side, under "accessibility & mobility", second column. See image. "The standard lift size is 30" x 48"." ....

upload_2019-3-29_21-43-58.png

Yeah, but as of yesterday, the transportation also had similar wording, so I wonder if they are updating the guide as well and it just hasn't made it to the parks yet.

Last edited:
THey do still mention the bus size on the park guides for guests with disabilities. Here is the MK example: https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/dam/disney-world/destinations/magic-kingdom/mk-0119-gfgwd-os.pdf

Top left side, under "accessibility & mobility", second column. See image. "The standard lift size is 30" x 48"." ....

View attachment 391547

BUT in the bus section, it says "Must fit the lift" which is true for only one type of buses that run at WDW - the Cruise/DME buses. Those buses use a lift; as far as I know, the Parks buses that run the Resort routes (internal bus system at WDW) now all use the ramps.

So, Disney's own info may be outdated.

Additionally, has anyone actually measured the white box on the ground at the Resort bus stops? Just curious to see what actual dimensions that "sizer" box actually is...

BUT in the bus section, it says "Must fit the lift" which is true for only one type of buses that run at WDW - the Cruise/DME buses. Those buses use a lift; as far as I know, the Parks buses that run the Resort routes (internal bus system at WDW) now all use the ramps.

Additionally, has anyone actually measured the white box on the ground at the Resort bus stops? Just curious to see what actual dimensions that "sizer" box actually is...
I haven't, but I should since there is an app that can do that with accuracy to about 1/32" if you have it calibrated right.

I didn't measure it last August but my Gold Mobility Pride Victory three wheeler fit with room to spare.
I'm considering moving up to the Maxima this year and the GMS ad states that it fits on all Disney transportation modes.
I don't need the larger vehicle but it was a PITA to have to cover the controls and operate them through the plastic cover every time it stormed and the Maxima is supposed to have waterproof controls.

I didn't measure it last August but my Gold Mobility Pride Victory three wheeler fit with room to spare.
I'm considering moving up to the Maxima this year and the GMS ad states that it fits on all Disney transportation modes.
I don't need the larger vehicle but it was a PITA to have to cover the controls and operate them through the plastic cover every time it stormed and the Maxima is supposed to have waterproof controls.
For me I am going with the Maxima because the Victory 10 would struggle on the steeper hills when someone would walk right in front of me (if they hadn't, it wouldn't have had any issues), forcing me to stop while going uphill, so hopefully the Maxima will have just that added umph to eliminate that issue. Most places it wasn't a problem, it was an issue getting on the monorail, going into the land pavilion and because the elevator broke just before we got there, we had to go up the exit ramp at the American Adventure Pavilion, there the people who stopped in front of me had no choice as the doors weren't open for them to go through, but still was an issue because the ramp was designed for going down, not up, so the slope is different.

Didn't know about the waterproof part, but the dimensions should fit with no problems, as it's dimensions are 25.5" x 46", so we'll within the size limits for the buses.

It would be nice if the Disney buses were the same dimensions too. During my last trip, I must have ridden in every possible bus. The ECV "parking area" in each one was different. The older the bus, the trickier it was to maneuver. I still wish the buses had a rear-entry where you could just pull right in. If cargo planes and mini-vans can do it, why not buses?

It would be nice if the Disney buses were the same dimensions too. During my last trip, I must have ridden in every possible bus. The ECV "parking area" in each one was different. The older the bus, the trickier it was to maneuver. I still wish the buses had a rear-entry where you could just pull right in. If cargo planes and mini-vans can do it, why not buses?
You really have to be careful when loading your ECV on some of the buss's.
I was getting on to a bus that, for whatever reason, didn't have the ability to lower the body.
The ramp was at a steeper angle than other buss's and the front of the EVC started to lift upward half way up the ramp.
Fortunately the driver knew this could occur and he was at the door to grab my ECV and keep me on the ramp.
He said he was sorry but this bus was the only one available when he checked in and that WDW should take it out of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter