Going to St. John - Trunk Bay on your own?

No car. Taxiing to trunk, or possibly hiking to Salamon if we feel up to it. Anything at the red hook dock, if we end up waiting an hour?

We did this last year with the ship excursion. We want to do it on our own this year to gain some more island time.

Has anyone taking the 2pm ferry back to red hook from cruz bay?

Just wondering how tight it was to get back to the ship for 3:45pm.

Thanks!

Also interested in more replies regarding the 2pm ferry. We really want to maximize our time on St. John and need to figure it out by 1/19/14. Thanks!

There is a lot of info on Cruise Critic about getting to St. John. Many recommend leaving at least 3 hours before all aboard time. Traffic can be a nightmare there.

Not trying to start a flame war, but as long as your food is safely tucked away in your bag and not visible, you can bring your own snacks. As far as following the rules, let your own conscience be your guide.

Also interested in more replies regarding the 2pm ferry. We really want to maximize our time on St. John and need to figure it out by 1/19/14. Thanks!

We have been in September twice, and traffic has not been an issue, but that is the low, low, low season. Your mileage may vary. You will definitely want to gauge your return time based on the number of other ships in port.

Bree said:
There is a lot of info on Cruise Critic about getting to St. John. Many recommend leaving at least 3 hours before all aboard time. Traffic can be a nightmare there.

We caught the 1:00 ferry for a 3:30 departure and that was plenty of time.

We just got back from our New Years Eve cruise on the Fantasy....it was fantastic!

We did do St John on our own. We got off the ship a little late due to some over sleepers (it was New Years Eve the night before) and got stuck in a unknown parade going on. So we missed the 9am ferry going over and took the 10am one.

coming back we made the 2pm ferry and got back to the ship in plenty of time for our 3:45 all aboard. I think we arrived to the ship right before 3pm.

We did it. Had an awesome time and we will be doing it again this year. Here are some ideas for you.

1. We were concerned about having enough time on a short port day, so we made sure we were the first off the boat at 7:30 in the morning.

2. I arranged transportation ahead of time. I contacted Alvin at Islander Taxi on St. Thomas and he was waiting for us when we disembarked on St. Thomas. He also arranged transportation on St. John for us coming and going. Thanks to Alvin, we were able to make the 8 am ferry to St. John which gave us an extra hour on St. John and put us on Trunk Bay beach before anyone else was there.

3. We left earlier than we had planned and our driver on St. John phoned Islander taxi and they were waiting to take us back to the ship .

4. We had a group of twenty going but for different reasons we ended up with 12 actually making the trip and it was no problem.

5. Have all of your cash together so one person can buy all of the ferry tickets to save time. You pay the taxi on the return trip, not each way if you arrange transportation ahead of time.

6. The cost for an adult was around $40 per person for both taxis and the ferry and about $10 cheaper for kids under 11.

We had such a great experience last year that many people in our DIS group are joining us this year. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Islander Taxi
http://www.islandertaxiservice.com
Tell Alvin you want the same arrangement as Paul White on the September 12th, 2012 Fantasy St. Thomas port day.

Yay! We just used Alvin/Islander Taxi at St Thomas on March 12th on the Fantasy. Did the 'Shores & Stores' tour. I didn't know he could arrange all that too!!! I hope I can get a group together from the DIS by next March because THIS is how I'd like to do St John!!!

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I sent Alvin an email to ask for same arrangement. I asked the price for this year and a little detail what's included and what's not so I can ask others to join. He refused to answer me unless I already have 15-20 people want use his service. I explained to him that I can't ask others to join unless he provides me with price and the details. Here is the response I got:

"You need to have a group of 15 to 20 people or more for us to even start to talk about any deal.
If you can get at least 15 to 20 people interested in joining on we can talk then. Alvin"

I must say, I was not overly thrilled with Alvin's customer service/demeanor either. The StJ portion was more than I expected, which wasn't enough to make a stink over, but a little irritating nonetheless. I did send a follow up email to ask about it, and it was never answered.Next year, I will look for a different vendor, and am also considering Cinnamon, simply because the food on Trunk was pretty dismal, and cost us over $125 for me, DH and the 10 and 4 yo. Kinda steep for burgers and dogs. Looks like Cinnamon has a restaurant...

Here is an alternative to the ferry. It is 2.5 more expensive, but may be more flexible for some groups. I have not used this service but another thread on this board has.

http://www.watertaxi-vi.com

We have used this company when vacationing in St. John (on one of our week long trips) and they were super prompt and reliable....I would highly recommend this route if you want to quickly get to and from St. John.

We love St John and spend a week there every other year, so when our cruise stopped in STT this year we wanted to get to St John but didn't necessarily need to go to Trunk Bay...so we booked this day sailing trip: http://www.simplicitycharters.com

They were amazing and I would highly recommend them..we got a nice full day on the boat with some beach time in St. John. They also made an amazing lunch. It wasn't cheap, but it is very worth it.

We loved St. John and Trunk Bay. Took the Disney Excursion this past April.
What we didn't love was the ferry ride from the port around the South side of St. Thomas to Cruz Bay. We had a VERY rough 45 minute trip-so rough that those sitting outside on the main level were completely soaked. I am not talking sea spray-I am talking clothes dripping wet. The trip back was only slightly better because we were going with the current and wind. I am sure this sounds silly to some of you, but it was completely unnerving to endure the trip over and know that you had to go back that way-it added a lot of stress to what should have been a carefree day.
I would consider the taxi to Red Hook and the shorter/apparently calmer ferry ride over. Yes, I would rather not risk the ship leaving without us but I think you can be smart about that.

Sorry for the necropost here, but I wanted to share my researched and proposed itinerary for an upcoming cruise in September which includes a day at St. Thomas/St. John. We have an 8-hour window and our sightseeing goals are:

- Trunk Bay (St. John)
- Paradise Point Tramway/Lookout (St. Thomas; time permitting)

7:45 AM - Disembark ship @ Havensight/cruise ship dock
8:00 - Rent car @ nearby Al Cohens Mall
8:30 - Drive to Red Hook Bay, pick up food and water along the way
9:00 - Ferry across to Cruz Bay (St. John)
9:30 - Take N. Shore Rd to Trunk Bay's east side, closest to Underwater Park Trail
10 - 12:15 PM: enjoy life in a tropical paradise
12:15 - take N. Shore Rd back to Cruz Bay
1:00 - Ferry back to Red Hook Bay (St. Thomas)
1:30 - Drive to Paradise Point Tramway
2 - 3: enjoy Paradise Point Lookout

3 - drop off car rental
4 - Ship leaves

It's me, my wife, and our two boys 4 and 5. I was very liberal with the travel times, always rounding up to the nearest half hour. The part in bold blue is flexible; if we run into any lengthy delays we simply won't risk going to Paradise Point. While the plan is adventurous - just in case my username didn't give it away - it is also a cost savings of at least about $100 (over the taxi option) and allows us to completely customize our day so that we are doing what we want, when we want. I'm a big snorkeling buff and want to capitalize on our time on the islands and Trunk Bay represents one of the best snorkeling experiences available, on one of the more secluded beaches. I'm also bringing my snorkel gear to save money on rentals, and food we pick up along the way to avoid the concession stand, which I read was expensive.

Feel free to opine with any constructive criticism or concerns! Happy travels!

- Trunk Bay (St. John)
- Paradise Point Tramway/Lookout (St. Thomas; time permitting)

7:45 AM - Disembark ship @ Havensight/cruise ship dock
8:00 - Rent car @ nearby Al Cohens Mall
8:30 - Drive to Red Hook Bay, pick up food and water along the way
9:00 - Ferry across to Cruz Bay (St. John)
9:30 - Take N. Shore Rd to Trunk Bay's east side, closest to Underwater Park Trail
10 - 12:15 PM: enjoy life in a tropical paradise
12:15 - take N. Shore Rd back to Cruz Bay
1:30 - Drive to Paradise Point Tramway
2 - 3: enjoy Paradise Point Lookout

3 - drop off car rental
4 - Ship leaves

Feel free to opine with any constructive criticism or concerns! Happy travels!

I am thinking along the same lines, AdventureMode! I would like more time snorkeling than the DCL excursion offers, but am anxious about self-arranged plans, just because I've never done that before. I think you added in plenty of padding as far as times go. I am back and forth right now about the decision to rent a car vs. taxiing. We've got a family of 5, so the cost per person for a taxi will add up quickly.

I contacted Islander to pre-arrange transportation, and was told that they only work with large groups.

Just a note about the aerial lift ... If you are docked at Havensight you won't have much of an issue with regards to time. If the ship docks (as we did on the Magic) at Little Krum Bay, it is much further away and you may have to allow for additional travel time.

Would you (or anybody) tell me more about this hike? My family is leaning toward this option, but I am starting to waver in worrying over getting back to the ship on time. We would try for the 8:00 ferry; is there time to enjoy this hike and take the 1:00 ferry back to Red Hook to get to Havensight on time? I don't want to be a nervous wreck all day, but of the options in this port, this seems most appealing to us. We love National Parks and are up for the hike.

We booked the hike through Disney and had a great guide. His resume included expeditions in the Grand Canyon, tours in the Grand Tetons, and various Ski lodges. So his tour included how to survive with the various plants along the trail. It is a short walk to Honeymoon beach. This isn't exactly a in the forest type of hiking trail with upturned roots, rocks, and narrow walk ways. It was very well maintained, wide, and I (at my time late 20s) found it easily accessible. In fact I would call it more of a stroll. We did have a few open air buses that took us back to Cruz Bay for the ferry back. .

I am thinking along the same lines, AdventureMode! I would like more time snorkeling than the DCL excursion offers, but am anxious about self-arranged plans, just because I've never done that before. I think you added in plenty of padding as far as times go. I am back and forth right now about the decision to rent a car vs. taxiing. We've got a family of 5, so the cost per person for a taxi will add up quickly.

Hey Froder. We got back last weekend and I can now confidently tell you what to do & expect.

7:30* AM - Disembark ship @ Charlotte Amalie port
7:35*2 - Take small cab (no van, no Safari taxi which are converted RAMs or F250's) to Red Hook Bay
8:00*3 - Buy tickets, ferry across to Cruz Bay (St. John)
8:30 - Take any taxi/Safari taxi to Trunk Bay
9 - 12:15 PM: enjoy life in a tropical paradise
12:15 - Taxi/Safari taxi back to Cruz Bay (they will be waiting for you at park entrance)
1:30 - Taxi to Paradise Point Tramway
2 - 3: Enjoy Paradise Point Lookout views as little as you want or as long as an hour. We were short on time so we didn't get off the tram. Only took pictures. Skyride is 14 minutes round trip.
3 - 3:30 - Walk back to ship (walk takes 25 min)
4 - Is when our ship left port.

* Get up and eat early, and try to disembark earlier than the posted time. Some ships will allow you to leave earlier than the posted time if they are already docked. We didn't know this and could have left earlier and could have caught the 8am ferry across to St John instead of the 9am. This tip was provided by the crew themselves. Lesson learned!
*2 Was advised not to rent car by an experienced traveler to the area and this was by far the best advice. Taxis will be waiting for you when you get off. Ask the Taxi Dispatcher for a small, personal taxi (4-door sedan and the such). They will be waiting for you about a block down the street or will be dispatched to drive up to pick you up. Don't wait for other people to disembark in order to fill a Safari taxi, that will prevent you from making the 8am ferry across to St. John. There will be a Taxi Dispatcher waiting for you when you get off the ship.
Don't bother picking up food/drinks. It will slow you down. Goal is to get to Red Hook before 8am ferry leaves. Schools start at 8am and there is one between the port and Red Hook. Trunk Bay has a concession stand & amenities.
*3 Don't panic if ticket vendor is not at her desk. They take breaks and come back 15 minutes before the hour. Island time! The Ferry runs every hour on the hour.

Expect to pay between $4-$6 per person for all individual taxi'ed segments of this trip (total of 4 segments). With a family of 5, you can definitely negotiate. Not sure if regular taxi's have a limit of people they can carry. Ferry is about $3 for kids, $9 for adults one-way. Entrance to the park is free for kids, $4 per adult. For a family of 4, $250 cash was enough to cover all expenses.

Under a different situation where we would be staying on premise for multiple days, I would rent a car. However since time was of the utmost essence, you really need a pro who can get you where you need to go rapidly and efficiently. Not only would you have to contend with driving on the opposite side of the road, but having to contend with getting your car onto the car ferry (in reverse) and generally not knowing what the heck you're doing, I just wouldn't recommend renting at all.

ALTERNATIVE OPTION

Sometimes there is a ferry that runs directly from Charlotte Amalie port directly to Cruz Bay. When we went (Tuesday) it was not running, and they do not know in advance when it is. I would not be able to tell you where to go at port to find it either, so take this with a grain of sand. All I know is that the scheduling is unreliable, and it comes/goes only 3 times a day, could be at any time. Probably an option on your way back from Cruz Bay -> Charlotte Amalie port, if the scheduling works for you.

Last edited:
Thanks, AdventureMode! I'm glad your excursion went well. This timeline with prices, etc. is really helpful.

Hey Froder. We got back last weekend and I can now confidently tell you what to do & expect.

1:30 - Taxi to Paradise Point Tramway
2 - 3: Enjoy Paradise Point Lookout views as little as you want or as long as an hour. We were short on time so we didn't get off the tram. Only took pictures. Skyride is 14 minutes round trip.
3 - 3:30 - Walk back to ship (walk takes 25 min)

Is this the tram that costs $21 for adults and $12 for kids?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter