Go to an Embassy?!?

Terapin

DIS Veteran
Got my paperwork for an add-on at BLT through DVC and noticed the form that has to be notorized said the notary was declaring to be licensed in XXX state that they filled in.

Called DVC to clarify the process and I was told that I'd have to go to the closest US embassy to get it notorized? Are you kidding me?!? Apparently a Canadian notary will not do.

Do you know what it would be like to walk into a US Embassy as a non-citizen and get this service. The lines are huge for non-Americans. For a notary.

DH is American and that may make things faster. But both of us will have to take the day off work and head to the closest embassy an hour away to get it notarized.

What a hassle.

Got my paperwork for an add-on at BLT through DVC and noticed the form that has to be notorized said the notary was declaring to be licensed in XXX state that they filled in.

Called DVC to clarify the process and I was told that I'd have to go to the closest US embassy to get it notorized? Are you kidding me?!? Apparently a Canadian notary will not do.

Do you know what it would be like to walk into a US Embassy as a non-citizen and get this service. The lines are huge for non-Americans. For a notary.

DH is American and that may make things faster. But both of us will have to take the day off work and head to the closest embassy an hour away to get it notarized.

What a hassle.

Wow. What a headache. Here's some :grouphug:

That does not sound right. Call again and talk to someone else. You may need to get it notarized but I am unaware of any requirement that the notary be from the US, thus requiring you to go to the US Embassy.

Unfortunately, this is true. We sent our add-on documents back and they were rejected because we used a Canadian notary. It was a bit inconvenient but we made an appointment with a notary in the U.S., about 1.5 hours away, and turned it into a road trip.

Is the same true for a resale purchase?

Could you wait and do the add on during your next WDW vacation and sign at the sales center?

:earsboy: Bill

My original resale was easy, peasy. It was only when I did an add-on directly with Disney that I needed the American notary. The only reason I went direct is because we own at VGC and small contracts are almost non-existent.

Yup, living down here in Mexico we have had to have our signatures notarized by the US consular agent when we did some selling. NOT an inexpensive proposition. And the rates are set by the US government, $50 per document! (and they've gone up since.....)

If you are able to hold off until you get to the states, that makes it much more bearable!

Michael

Yup, living down here in Mexico we have had to have our signatures notarized by the US consular agent when we did some selling. NOT an inexpensive proposition. And the rates are set by the US government, $50 per document! (and they've gone up since.....)

Wow, Michael, that's not cheap! (hi! by the way)

I just sent in closing documents for 2 resale contracts, 2 different brokers, 2 different title/closing companies. Neither required a notarized signature. I received them via e-mail, I printed, signed, and faxed back. Super easy.

Sellers need their contracts signed by a US notary though, and that can be a bit difficult if you don't live in the US. As a Canadian, just keep that in mind if you ever decide to sell. If you are close enough to a border, notaries are easy to find there. Not so easy (or cheap) if the seller lives on a different continent.

A neighbour of mine (who is actually American) was renegotiating her US mortgage, and she was quoted 50$ per signature at the US embassy. Their bank required her and her husband to sign 4 different documents, so a total of 8 signatures = 400$. They decided to drive the 30 min's into NY state, and paid 2$/signature.

Hi. Thanks for this thread. Been lurking for over a year & looking into DVC but we're in Australia. To buy resale DVC points, will we need notarized signatures, and if so, does this need to be in a US embassy or will a local lawyer do?

The local lawyer has previously notarized documents when we migrated to Canada, so if he was okay for the Canadian government, then I'm thinking he'll probably be okay for the US requirement?

Hi. Thanks for this thread. Been lurking for over a year & looking into DVC but we're in Australia. To buy resale DVC points, will we need notarized signatures, and if so, does this need to be in a US embassy or will a local lawyer do?

The local lawyer has previously notarized documents when we migrated to Canada, so if he was okay for the Canadian government, then I'm thinking he'll probably be okay for the US requirement?

The laws are different for Disney who is a Timeshare developer verses a resale Broker who is/should be a licensed Realtor.

You should contact the company that you are buying from to see what laws/requirements are applicable.

:earsboy: Bill

As I mentioned above, as far as I know, you don't need to have your documents signed by a notary if you're buying resale (I'm Canadian; I didn't). One of my contracts was from a seller in the UK, and their first set of documents did not require notarization. Closing documents: Their (seller's) closing documents will need the notarized signature; mine (buyer's) don't.

You should only need a notarized signature (by a US-recognized notary, hence the embassy) if and when you sell, or if you buy through Disney directly.

Heard back from Member Services and they retracted their US notary requirement and confirmed that I can use a Canadian notary. Yay! Going to get it done this week and signed, sealed and delivered!

Heard back from Member Services and they retracted their US notary requirement and confirmed that I can use a Canadian notary. Yay! Going to get it done this week and signed, sealed and delivered!

That is great news! Will definitely keep this info for the unlikely event we'll need to sell while we're living out of the U.S.

Thanks for sharing the news.

Michael

That's great! Which province do you live in? Is it perhaps Ontario or Alberta? I was told that Disney can sell in those two but not the rest, but that was a couple of years ago so perhaps something has changed.

At first the closing company asked me to notarize the documents also to me as a buyer. I've answered that I've read here on the Disboards that for me it was not necessary and they removed that requirement. It would have been really annoying for me to have to go to the US embassy.
So thanks to the Disboards :-)

This is an old thread, but wanted to add that we added on points at VCG and have been told yet again, that the State of California doesn't recognize Canadian notaries and we've been instructed to go to the embassy. I live out in the country so it's a half-day trip, and I am hot and massively pregnant. And grumpy. Hoping they have another solution, or my lawyer can refer me to someone who is recognized as a US notary (which I have heard is possible.) Argh. I wish they told me this before I spent the money to get them notarized by my lawyer (my guide knew I was going to go get it done). Boogers.

we had to do this for our resale and for a sale of one. we booked an appointment the day we passed ROFR so we attended the day after we got the closing paperwork. all done in an hour.

it is a real estate transaction so i understand why notaries are sometimes needed.

I understand too why notaries are needed. It's just a hassle that for California points I have to go to an Embassy, rather than use my lawyer which was fine for AKL points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter