Girls Only Cocktail Sipping, Double Dipping Trip Report - COMPLETED...

Sunday May 4th:

We had decided to make Hollywood Studios the first park of the holiday so were up and raring to go the next morning! I made some very poor coffee in the machine - think I'll stick with a refillable mug-full from Roaring Forks in future! We duly showered and made our way out of the Villas at a reasonable time, eager to board a bus. The temperature was perfect - hot but not humid with vivid blue skies and it felt good to have the sun on our faces. A bus quickly arrived and we sat in companionable silence as the bus headed off. Upon arrival, Sophie went to the Customer Services window to redeem her Annual Pass and purchase the Disney Dining Experience card. This all took moments and we soon we pushing through the turnstiles.

It's been a long time since we felt the need to take on the parks commando-style and nowadays much prefer to saunter around taking in the sights at a leisurely pace. With this in mind, we avoided the huge attractions - Tower of Terror and Rock n Rollercoaster. Instead, we focused on some of the less high profile activities - thoroughly enjoying The Magic of Disney Animation where we tried our hand at drawing Jiminy Cricket and Sophie had her photo taken with the main Mouse...

IMGP0020.jpg

We also did the Studios Backlot Tour, Voyage of the Little Mermaid and sampled a signature cocktail in the Backlot Canteen. We both opted for a '180º Spin' - that's 1800 Margarita with Grand Marnier blended on the rocks to you...

After a brief browse of the retail opportunities, we whiled away a pleasant half hour examining the quirky artefacts in 'Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-Kind' store - I saw so many fab original film posters (I collect them) that I had to really keep a firm hold on my credit cards - I didn't fancy trying to get anything shipped home. With purse strings tied tight, we made our way back to the bus stop and returned to the Villas. We whiled away an hour or so around the large quiet pool that was outside the Villas before returning to the room to wash and brush up in readiness for an extra-special evening of degustation and delight as we were off to Victoria and Albert's! We left our resort at 7.30pm and caught a cab to the Grand Floridian where we headed straight to Mizner's Lounge - one of my favourite haunts!!! We ordered a couple of cocktails from the lengthy list, a raspberry champagne for me and Sophie opted for some sort of martini - yummy!!! We had time for a couple of rounds before checking in at the Victoria and Albert's podium...

What an evening we had! This was Sophie's first V&A experience and it really didn't disappoint! The food was incr-edible (see what I did there?!) and we have our personalised menus to prove it.

IMGP1479.jpg

IMGP1481.jpg

IMGP1480.jpg

We opted for the wine pairings to go with our food choices and, despite a promising "let's take it steady" start, we were well and truly stuffed n squiffy by the end! I'm not going to bore you senseless with our choices - truthfully, I can't remember! All I'm going to say is, if you think you might enjoy the experience and you have the chance to try V&A, go for it! I get to go to quite a few celeb chef/Michelin-starred restaurants (courtesy of DH's job) and the V&A is right up there as far as I'm concerned. The only difference is the value is outstanding! So it was that 3 hours later, we wobbled Wilderness Lodge-wards and crashed for the night... Cocktail Count = 6!

Monday May 5th:
Today our itinerary went to pieces! We woke up OK, but just couldn't get going so decided to have an early chill-out day! The weather was gorgeous. Perfect for lazing around the pool with frozen Pina Coladas and reading our books - tho' TBH Sophie just snoozed the day away!!!

After last night's food-fest, it took a l-o-n-g while for our bellies to rumble. Thus it was mid-afternoon before we decided to order room service as a late lunch/early dinner. So would that be dunch? Or linner?? Anyway, I realised we hadn't collected our hire car and was about to get ready only to discover that the Alamo office in the Dolphin closed at 4pm! Oh well, tomorrow then...?

Later, Sophie picked up a couple of DVDs from the WL store and we spent the evening watching Meet The Robinsons and sipping a Sophie Special... Cocktail Count - 4...

YEAH!!! Trip sounds fabulous so far but I wouldn't expect anything less from you Karen. Can't wait to hear more.

Yay, another trippie :cool1: Great start Karen, all those cocktails sound delish ::yes:: I look forward to your next installment :thumbsup2

Fabulous so far Karen! Love all your cocktail sipping, just my sort of trip :thumbsup2 We don't do the parks commando style anymore either. I much prefer wandering round and taking things slowly. Can't wait for your next instalment :yay:

Great report so far Karen - what fun.

What's in a Red Head Cocktail in the Virgin Lounge?

Tammy

I missed this on its first outing (bad, bad moderator - of course I normally read all posts on this board :rolleyes1 ). I've been catching up with the pre-trippies and just have to comment on those ahead of starting to read the trip report proper.

Firstly (and I've said this before, but it's worth repeating), I just love your writing style. It's so descriptive, sucking you in and making you want to read more; it's charming and witty; entertaining...the list goes on.

Now, I'm not an envious person. I don't do jealousy, ever. I read the initial pre-trippy with nothing other than warm fuzzy feelings. The thought of you on Castaway Cay (my paradise on earth) - how lovely for you. Sipping cocktails in Mizners ahead of dinner at the best restaurant on property bar none - magical. Flying UC with Virgin (something we've only ever experienced courtesy of a free upgrade) - not the slightest twinge of a jealous bone.

Then I moved on to the last minute pre-trippy. Ahh, dh joining you - how lovely for you all. Oh, and look, an upgrade from Navigator's Verandah category to the Roy O Disney Suite. Well isn't that just... REWIND! THE ROY O DISNEY SUITE?! Let me tell you I have turned such a lurid shade of green that right now I could qualify as the DIS mascot! :rotfl:

I can't wait until you post that day's trip report. That's possibly a tad masochistic - I know you're going to do such a good job that I could be in danger of envy meltdown. And photos? That could be one step too far... ;)

Off to read the trippy now.

The Clubhouse was the busiest I've ever seen it as several flights were delayed (including ours) but we quickly found a couple of the retro comfy chairs and staked our claim before ordering breakfast.

IMGP1286.jpg
I'd always loved the look of this area, but never ventured inside it given that it was the designated smoking area. January was the first time we'd been in the Clubhouse since the smoking ban and we had this "room" to ourselves for most of our time in the lounge.

Total Cocktail Count = 10!
I like your style! :rotfl:

It's been a long time since we felt the need to take on the parks commando-style and nowadays much prefer to saunter around taking in the sights at a leisurely pace.
I'm so with you on this, Karen. I look back at how I used to be and realise what a nightmare it must have been for some of my travelling companions. Our upcoming trip in November will just be the two of us (only the second time Matt and I will have pulled this off in 18 trips) and we're so looking forward to just chilling out. Of course, we're sure to take in our favourite attractions, but that certainly won't be the priority.

After a brief browse of the retail opportunities, we whiled away a pleasant half hour examining the quirky artefacts in 'Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-Kind' store
I love this store, as well as Starobilias at Dowtown Disney - both absolutely fascinating.

I get to go to quite a few celeb chef/Michelin-starred restaurants (courtesy of DH's job) and the V&A is right up there as far as I'm concerned. The only difference is the value is outstanding!
Again, I'm in total agreement. We've eaten at some fabulous, world-renowned restaurants and V&As truly is up there amongst the best.

Woohoo a new trippie - Great start Karen :cool1:

I do love reading your trip reports :lovestruc

Great first day :thumbsup2

YEAH!!! Trip sounds fabulous so far but I wouldn't expect anything less from you Karen. Can't wait to hear more.

Yay, another trippie :cool1: Great start Karen, all those cocktails sound delish ::yes:: I look forward to your next installment :thumbsup2

Fabulous so far Karen! Love all your cocktail sipping, just my sort of trip :thumbsup2 We don't do the parks commando style anymore either. I much prefer wandering round and taking things slowly. Can't wait for your next instalment :yay:

Thanks ladies! It's taken me a while to get started but now I've got my trip-report head on and it's all starting to come back to me... :goodvibes

Great report so far Karen - what fun.

What's in a Red Head Cocktail in the Virgin Lounge?

Tammy

I don't know for sure BUT I'm positive champagne and Bombay Sapphire gin feature... :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Next time I partake (August) I will definitely write the ingredients down as it's sooo delish I'd like to attempt to recreate one - or several... ;)

...Firstly (and I've said this before, but it's worth repeating), I just love your writing style. It's so descriptive, sucking you in and making you want to read more; it's charming and witty; entertaining...the list goes on...

Awww, Debbie! You are too kind!!! :hug: I'm sooo happy (not to mention relieved) that you enjoy my self-indulgent musings... :goodvibes

...Oh, and look, an upgrade from Navigator's Verandah category to the Roy O Disney Suite. Well isn't that just... REWIND! THE ROY O DISNEY SUITE?! Let me tell you I have turned such a lurid shade of green that right now I could qualify as the DIS mascot! :rotfl:

I can't wait until you post that day's trip report. That's possibly a tad masochistic - I know you're going to do such a good job that I could be in danger of envy meltdown. And photos? That could be one step too far... ;)

I was trialing a new camera on this trip and I didn't really get to grips with it (suffice to say, it's going back!) so sadly I haven't taken anywhere near as many photos as I should've done. However, I did manage to take quite a few of the suite... ;)

:cool1: yay ! ive been out all afternnon and i get back to your trippie, fab start Hun

I can see you are going to drink me under the table in Cardiff :rotfl:

I seriously can't wait for your next instalment, and more photos :thumbsup2

Tuesday May 6th:
I woke up to the sound of intermittent buzzing in my left ear. The bedroom was very dark and I lay there feeling disorientated. The LED display told me it was stupid o' clock so why, exactly, was I flippin' well awake?! I felt under my pillow and fished out my phone - sure enough I had a text message! It was DH informing me of his arrival at Gatwick - gee, thanks sweetie! As I settled back down the phone buzzed again - he was through security and in the Clubhouse. What does he want? A round of applause?? Tersely I pressed the 'off' button and snuggled down for some serious shuteye...

Later, much later, I turned the phone back on and waded through the text messages that took me, step-by-step, through his progress airside. Actually it was more about the lack of it, as his flight was delayed. However, by the time I sat quaffing coffee, he'd taken off and was no doubt in in-flight entertainment ecstasy. Using a complicated sum, I secretly guestimated his time of arrival and worked out we had several hours before we needed to be back in the room. So I asked Sophie if she fancied a little retail reconnaissance?! The sight of her shuffling speedily into the shower room gave me my answer and I adjourned to the en-suite to prepare my face for the day...

We caught the boat to the Magic Kingdom and picked up a bus to the Dolphin from there so we could collect the hire car. I had pre-booked an intermediate SUV but this was not available so the Alamo lady upgraded me to a 7 seater minibus!!! What????!!! Now I know we like to shop but purlease!!! TBH I nearly fainted - I was still an inexperienced Orlando driver and the phrase "minibus" greatly exacerbated my already knee-knocking nervousness. I imagined my tiny self, barely able to peer over the steering wheel of something akin to the Mystery Machine, enormous back end careering wildly out of control!!! But enough of my body hang ups... Anyway, I initialled the form in the appropriate places with shaking hands, took possession of the keys and waited for the valet to bring the monster truck around to the front of the hotel...

060114-F-2185F-091.jpg

Except it wasn't a monster truck - or even what I would consider a minibus! It was just a Toyota people carrier that hugged the road (no careering back ends here) and was a pleasure to drive!

2008-Sienna-3.jpg

So we were soon on the road and decided to head straight for the nearby Premium Outlets. OK, can I just take a few moments to wax lyrical about the excellent Orlando map created by Steve Munns?! I can? Excellent!!! The tourist map is quite simply inspired genius and I wish they were available for all my hoilday destinations. I only discovered his website earlier this year and it really enhanced our pre-holiday planning - let alone the actual in-situ driving experience. Buy one you won't regret it... Anyway, off we went. Before many minutes had elapsed, we were parked and limbering up for what I like to call 'The Outlet Mall Marathon'! Now I've found the Premium Outlet stores a hit and miss affair in the past but this time they definitely didn't disappoint! Sophie and I had a wonderful time and, as the hours passed, so our collection of shopping bags grew. And grew...

My favourite store on this occasion was the Gap outlet where I found a pair of lightweight cropped trousers that were very much my sort of thing - so I bought a pair in every colour! They also had a pretty broderie anglaise top which I nabbed in several colours. That was the good shopping. On a less successful scale, I'm ashamed to say I completely bottled it in the Fendi store. Despite falling deeply and passionately in lust with a dainty little red baguette bag that I knew to be an absolute bargain, I came over all cowardly in the credit card department and slunk out out the shop with just the assistant's business card in my clammy hands! Needless to say, I deeply regret it now but, ah well, there's always next time... ;)

When we could shop no more, Sophie and I staggered to the car and headed back towards WDW. But hang on a moment - is that a large CVS drug store I see before me??? It was so we decided to stop and stock up on huge pots of generic drugs!!! We spent ages in here. I don't really know why but I do recall buying a twin pack of microwaveable frozen savoury croissants and bottle of Pinot Grigio for less than $3!!! :confused3 Meanwhile I kept surreptitiously checking my phone to see if there was any news from DH. I was browsing the antacids when I received word that he was through immigration and about to board the Magical Express at MCO. I knew it was now time for us to return to the Villas and rounded up Sophie and our small trolley of delights. Checking out took a little while as we had (somehow) bought a ridiculous amount of stuff! Oh well, at least I now had a Sonicaire toothbrush charger and hot air brush to put in my Owners Locker... :lmao:

Burdened with our billion bags, we made it back to the room. Knowing who's arrival was now imminent, I was beside myself with excitement and had a couple of mad moments where I leapt around the living room!!! Fortunately my family are used to what they describe as my 'high-on-life' outbursts and Sophie didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary going on. She sat on the sofa, reading so I decided to try and follow her calming example. It wasn't easy so imagine my relief when, after I'd read the same paragraph for the tenth time, there came a knock at the door?! Thank goodness!!! "Who on earth's that?" hissed Sophie, irritably. I gave a confused shrug before gesticulating for to her to go and find out...

She looked through the peephole but couldn't see anything and cautiously opened the door... "I thought you'd need a couple of extra refillable mugs!" came her father's deep booming voice!!! And there he stood in the doorway, laden with luggage and a cheeky grin on his much-loved familiar face. He proffered the afore-mentioned mugs to our darling daughter who remained rooted to the spot. She seemed momentarily stunned before launching herself at DH and starting the supersonic squealing I had previously predicted!!! Richard dropped his cases and hugged us both as we were jumping around in the doorway. Realising we were making an exhibition of ourselves (so, what's new?!) I dragged DH and his baggage into the room. Sophie couldn't stop asking us questions: Did I know? When did we plan this?? How long ago had we planned this??? And so on. I answered her more pressing questions before asking Richard if he felt up to keeping our Kona Cafe ADR? He said he felt fine - apparently he'd glugged a a fair few glasses of wine with his lunch on the plane and then slept for around 5 hours! Mmm, classy... We headed down to the pier and caught a boat to the Contemporary so we could hop on the resort monorail to the Polynesian. This took somewhat longer than I'd anticipated and we had no time for a cocktail in the Tambu Lounge but had to immediately check in at the restaurant. We were given a pager and had just started walking to the shop when it went off. For some reason, it felt v-e-r-y cold in Kona Cafe which doesn't make for a convivial setting and the meal was the least enjoyable on-site experience I have had in ages! In hindsight I wish we'd opted for Ohana's but hey, it's easy to be oh-so wise after the event... Anyway, we ate up and tried a fruity cocktail or two before heading down to the lobby and catching a cab back to the hotel. Overall this was a bittersweet experience for me as I have long held the Polynesian Resort in high esteem and always appreciate any opportunity to spend time in it's environs. Tonight, however, I was less enchanted with the place - it just seemed so busy, noisy and cavernous! I was very happy to return to the more tranquil atmosphere of the Villas at Wilderness Lodge where Sophie rustled up a trio of White Russians and we settled down for a pre-bedtime discussion of what to do tomorrow... Cocktail Count = 9...

Karen,

Hi it is Kristin. I love reading your report and look forward to reading more it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen,

Hi it is Kristin. I love reading your report and look forward to reading more it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Kristin! :wave: Thanks for reading - glad you're enjoying it... :goodvibes

I was trialing a new camera on this trip and I didn't really get to grips with it (suffice to say, it's going back!) so sadly I haven't taken anywhere near as many photos as I should've done. However, I did manage to take quite a few of the suite... ;)

Oh what a shame, I hope you had some nice ones to remind you of your holiday :)

[Cocktail Count = 9...

What a great days shopping and a wonderful surprise for Sophie

These cocktail counts - are they per person ? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Another fab day, keep 'em coming Karen ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter