Gift Cards

I personally love gift cards! I'd much rather that someone gives me the chance to pick something out rather than chooses something that I might not like or might not fit.

DH usually gives me Starbucks gift cards. I have one in the other room calling my name right now. ;)

I don't like giving gift cards (except in rare circumstances) and I don't like receiving them. I argue that I only buy gifts for those people who I know well and mean alot to me and I spend alot of time trying to find something just for them. I do, however, always include the gift receipt so if they don't like it or it doesn't fit they do not need to ask me for the receipt.

Those rare circumstances tend to be work secret santa things and this year DS and all his cousins were going to a certain restaurant Christmas night and I knew he didn't have the extra cash so I got him a gift card to help pay his share... Another instance is a gift card to a spa in a hotel where my Mom will be going next month (if I gave her the cash to pay for it she would use it for bills I think).

Generic restaurant or clothing store cards do:upsidedow seem lazy to me, sorry, jmho.

I love gift cards, no matter the amount.

I don't typically spend money on myself, so having a gift card gives me "permission" to spend money on something I normally wouldn't buy for myself. :)

Since I travel by train to visit family for Christmas, I can't do big gifts, so cash & gift cards are perfect. The kids loved them, and I loved the ones I got. I'll be using them soon!

We just got back from a birthday dinner for DS11! We used one of our gift cards we received, it did not cover the whole bill. But as we were paying I thought I needed to ask this...

if you get a gift card to say Macy's for $25, do you only purchase something for $25 or under, or do you still get yourself a purse even if it is $50 and should the person who got you the gift card KNOWN that you wanted the $50, bc I kind dont see the difference btw that and a gift card to a restaurant:confused3

At my favorite restaurant, the wine alone is $25. But I'm thrilled if someone wants to give me any gift cards for the restaurant, because that's $25+ less that I have to pay next time we go. Not everyone can afford to give a large gift card. It's the thought that counts.

I know right!

Apparently it's not the thought that counts for a lot of people!

I respect those who give and receiver 25 dollar gift cards. To each their own. I just personally, as someone who does not go out often, do not understand giving a gift card you know will not cover a full meal.

But again, to each their own! :)

I can also say I have never received a restaurant gift card nor can I imgine because I don't go out often.

I can't even get over how ungrateful that kind of thinking is - let alone saying it out loud or committing it to print!

People should only give what they have budgeted for gifts and what they can afford. How do they know what you will order.

I love getting gift cards! I never expect them to "cover" a meal or gift! If it does - wow that's great! But if it doesn't I look at is a nice chunk of change I don't have to spend of my own money towards something I want.

I haven't read all responses but I feel like with giving a gift card you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I often read on the Dis that it's best to give your children's teachers a gc over anything else but yet some people think it's laziness to give gc. I don't know my children's teachers (they have multiple) on a personal level so I am fine giving them a small gift card as a token of appreciation during the holiday season as well as at the end of the year.

I can't even get over how ungrateful that kind of thinking is - let alone saying it out loud or committing it to print!

People should only give what they have budgeted for gifts and what they can afford. How do they know what you will order.

I love getting gift cards! I never expect them to "cover" a meal or gift! If it does - wow that's great! But if it doesn't I look at is a nice chunk of change I don't have to spend of my own money towards something I want.

I am not ungrateful and do not think my thinking is ungrateful.

Again, I do not go out a lot so maybe that's why my opinion is coming off as rude to those as do.

I appreciate any gift! The point I was trying to make is that you wouldn't give someone half a bag or half a shoe as a gift. I personally feel that giving a gift card that you know will not cover an entire meal goes along with that.

I respect people who disagree with that, again to each there own. Just wish people could respect my opinion without calling me ungrateful.

See and IMO giving a 25 dollar gift card to a restaurant you know will cost more is giving something you cannot afford. In that case give a different gift!

What if you give someone a 25 dollar gift card to an expensive restaurant they would prefer not to go to but feel like they have to now to use it? That person may end up spending a lot more money because you gave a gift card that will cover just wine.

It's an extreme case but I don't think my opinion is that horrible...

I know right!

Apparently it's not the thought that counts for a lot of people!

I am a BIG believe in it is the thought that counts.

We just got back from a birthday dinner for DS11! We used one of our gift cards we received, it did not cover the whole bill. But as we were paying I thought I needed to ask this...

if you get a gift card to say Macy's for $25, do you only purchase something for $25 or under, or do you still get yourself a purse even if it is $50 and should the person who got you the gift card KNOWN that you wanted the $50, bc I kind dont see the difference btw that and a gift card to a restaurant:confused3

Because you can go into Macy's and find something for 25 dollars.

I think I was talking about a restaurant that you absolutely know will cost more than 25 dollars at.

I am not ungrateful and do not think my thinking is ungrateful. Again, I do not go out a lot so maybe that's why my opinion is coming off as rude to those as do. I appreciate any gift! The point I was trying to make is that you wouldn't give someone half a bag or half a shoe as a gift. I personally feel that giving a gift card that you know will not cover an entire meal goes along with that. I respect people who disagree with that, again to each there own. Just wish people could respect my opinion without calling me ungrateful.

How is that different than giving a penney's card (or wherever). Chances are that the total purchase will be more. I'd be adding that $25 to whatever I have and buying shoes. So, no I don't have a problem with someone buying me "just" a shoe.

How is that different than giving a penney's card (or wherever). Chances are that the total purchase will be more. I'd be adding that $25 to whatever I have and buying shoes. So, no I don't have a problem with someone buying me "just" a shoe.

Retailers and restaurants count on the fact that most shoppers/diners spend around 20% over the GC amount. Sucker!!!;)

Just kidding...

I think that MOST people are appreciative of a GC, even if it doesn't cover an entire meal. And if they don't ever plan on using it, as long as their name isn't directly ON the GC itself they could re-gift it. (Which is probably a whole 'nother thread:p)

Dang, we just gave our choir director a trawl agency gift card for Christmas. She's going on a trip to Africa this spring....we figured she could put the GC towards something she really wanted to do, but couldn't afford 100%. Guess we were cheap. Ah, no. Don't feel cheap at all! We gave what we could, as a group. She was thrilled with it.
Here's my issue with giving enough for the entire meal.....what my dh and I spend at a restaurant will be completely different than what some of our friends would spend. If I can only afford to give a GC for $50, that's what I give. It won't cover what we would spend for a meal there, but it wouldn't cover the bar tab for our friends! It's the thought that truly counts. Rather than hand out gift cards to some friends, we just take them to dinner, with us, and we pick up the tab. So much nicer.

See and IMO giving a 25 dollar gift card to a restaurant you know will cost more is giving something you cannot afford. In that case give a different gift!

What if you give someone a 25 dollar gift card to an expensive restaurant they would prefer not to go to but feel like they have to now to use it? That person may end up spending a lot more money because you gave a gift card that will cover just wine.

It's an extreme case but I don't think my opinion is that horrible...

I am a BIG believe in it is the thought that counts.

Because you can go into Macy's and find something for 25 dollars.
I think I was talking about a restaurant that you absolutely know will cost more than 25 dollars at.

What if there is nothing I want or need for only $25. Then I need to only buy something I might not need or want for $25 so that the gift receipient isnt giving me more:confused3. This makes no sense.

Ok let's say I got a gift card for DSW(a shoe store) for $25. I might not find a pair that I like or I need for $25, so technically I might only get the one shoe for $25 and I pay the other amount. I am still grateful for what that person gave me, I was able to afford those shoes sooner. Now maybe I could get a pair of flip flops for under $25 or socks but if I have all of those items I need them I am spending it on things just to spend it.

Yeah I would say a restaurant card should be a minimum of 50 dollars if not more like 100 if you want to make sure the person gets a full meal.

But even $100 may not be enough. DH and I used a $100 gc a few weeks ago and still had to pay out of pocket. Does that mean it was a cheap gift? Of course not, it was very generous.

DH and I aren't good gift card recipients. We're both cheap!! So the cards sit in a pile for ages before they ever get used. My DH still has cards from last Christmas. The problem is two-fold.

1. I have a hard time seeing the card go away. Once it is spent, it is gone and that makes me sad, so I just hang on to it.
  2. I have a hard time buying anything big for myself, even if it is with "free" money from someone else. So I end up buying a bunch of small non fun items like groceries and stuff because I can't justify buying something big and nice for myself when I could buy more practical items with it.

So I'd rather just get an actual item as a gift that I wouldn't buy for myself. If I get the item from the giver then it is mine and I don't feel bad about it. But, if it is left up to me to purchase something nice for myself, it just isn't going to happen. I'm not coded to buy nice things for myself. I am coded to be cheap, thrifty, and logical.

I don't ever think someone is lazy if they give me a gift card, but, it is kind of a bummer.

This is why we make lists every year. We share them with Aunts, Uncles, In-Laws, parents etc and they share their lists with us. This way you have lots of items to choose from and you know that they are desired items so they are going to be loved and used.

That being said, I am always grateful for ANY gift that someone gives me, no matter what it is.

from experience you got to stop doing 1 & 2 (punt not intended :lmao:)

We started an annual gift card shopping day after Christmas.

Basically we go out shopping with are discount coupons and gift cards, with lunch or dinner with our gift cards too.

The nerd in me pulls out all the receipt at dinner (mostly) and add up how much real $$ we didn't spend that day.

I would rather give and get an already bought present too.:thumbsup2

I like to receive gift cards more then I like to give them.

It really doesn't take a lot of thought to walk over to the wall of gift cards and pick them out. Laziness IMO.

Lol, I can easily go into Olive Garden with my husband and eat for $25. Because I am not a big eater and only get soup. MAYBE you (the complainer) shouldn't order such big meals when you go out....

It is all subjective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter