Gift Card Refund Question

I was so happy when I finally took the trip that used up my gift cards that had made rescheduling such a royal pain during all of the Covid craziness. I'm definitely never buying large amounts of gift cards again to spend on Disney travel. Lesson learned!

Personally, I will still purchase Disney GCs if the saving is worth the potential hassle. It's sort of like prepaying for your vacation. But with GCs, you will at least get your "money" back unless you use it on a nonrefundable reservation.

LAX

Personally, I will still purchase Disney GCs if the saving is worth the potential hassle. It's sort of like prepaying for your vacation. But with GCs, you will at least get your "money" back unless you use it on a nonrefundable reservation.

LAX
Some people think it's worth it & love it. Listening to their testimonials is what roped me into buying a few thousand dollars worth. But in my case it definitely wasn't worth the hassle I had to go through with multiple Covid cancellations and changes, particularly via DCL, whose accounting process was so mixed up and problematic that they eventually gave me $100 ship credit by way of apology for all of the hassle I endured (and that was also not worth it, and I'm not wealthy by any means- we're talking about a LOT of hassle). Even apart from that, keeping track of the physical cards, transferring amounts on the Disney Gift Card site, & tracking which card number paid for what was an annoying hassle of its own.

I can prepay my vacations via a credit card that I pay off immediately, one that gives a few percent cashback so that there is some savings there. And if the unexpected happens and a refund is needed, the money will go right back to my credit account, to be spent on anything I please, not just Disney.

Some people think it's worth it & love it. Listening to their testimonials is what roped me into buying a few thousand dollars worth. But in my case it definitely wasn't worth the hassle I had to go through with multiple Covid cancellations and changes, particularly via DCL, whose accounting process was so mixed up and problematic that they eventually gave me $100 ship credit by way of apology for all of the hassle I endured (and that was also not worth it, and I'm not wealthy by any means- we're talking about a LOT of hassle). Even apart from that, keeping track of the physical cards, transferring amounts on the Disney Gift Card site, & tracking which card number paid for what was an annoying hassle of its own.

I can prepay my vacations via a credit card that I pay off immediately, one that gives a few percent cashback so that there is some savings there. And if the unexpected happens and a refund is needed, the money will go right back to my credit account, to be spent on anything I please, not just Disney.

I hear you. The saving sometimes is not worth the risk/hassle. It really depends on the situation. Plus, what's worth it to me is different to you or other people.

LAX

we used all gift cards to pay for our cruise and WDW trip that was canceled last year. Didn't reload any card just use them to pay as we got them. When it was time to get a refund it was a mess trying to make sure the whole stack of cards probably few hundred of them were all credited back. Next time might stick to reloading cards up to $1k.

When they refund, do they tell you the GC number that they refund into?
If they did, then someone could use the transfer to move the money into a GC that they physically had.

I bought some at Sam's yesterday. Target told me I could no longer order anything online (they didn't want me as a customer) after doing only two, problem-free $500 GC purchases. I was pleased that the discount was more than I expected. The 3x$50 was at a 3.3% discount and the 3x$25 was at a 4.0% discount. Then you tack on the 2% that the CC gives me, it is better than Target.

I bought some at Sam's yesterday. Target told me I could no longer order anything online (they didn't want me as a customer) after doing only two, problem-free $500 GC purchases. I was pleased that the discount was more than I expected. The 3x$50 was at a 3.3% discount and the 3x$25 was at a 4.0% discount. Then you tack on the 2% that the CC gives me, it is better than Target.
They did the same thing to me. I bought a few thousand, split in to two separate transactions, and received a letter in the mail telling me I could no longer purchase them. They told me they felt I was reselling them and would cancel my card if I did it again. I phoned their credit department and spoke with them. It's not unusual for a person planning a trip to Disney to need a few thousand dollars. He agreed but said the order would still stand. No problem, I got rid of the Target card. Don't need the issues. This was by walking into the store, not online.

I was so happy when I finally took the trip that used up my gift cards that had made rescheduling such a royal pain during all of the Covid craziness. I'm definitely never buying large amounts of gift cards again to spend on Disney travel. Lesson learned!

I have $7k in Disney Gift cards, I saved 5% buying them through BJ’s Wholesae, but never again will I risk having that much money locked up in Disney after this past year.

we used all gift cards to pay for our cruise and WDW trip that was canceled last year. Didn't reload any card just use them to pay as we got them. When it was time to get a refund it was a mess trying to make sure the whole stack of cards probably few hundred of them were all credited back. Next time might stick to reloading cards up to $1k.

This is key. Even with about $1K on each card, I still have about a dozen cards to deal with, which is definitely not ideal. But with at least 10% discount off their face values, it's worth the effort & potential hassle (I am counting on another pandemic-related cancellation won't happen too often!).

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter