Gidget Goes Hawaiian- Kauai & Aulani 8/2012 TR- 5/24 COMPLETE!!

....just saw a few pics from yer tr.:goodvibes

Looks like ya had fun.:cool1:
Now I get to have fun getting all caught up on your tr.:thumbsup2

P.S. (NYC was a blast!!):)

T.T.F.N.

Love your trip report! I went to Hawaii back in 2007 & of course loved it. Looking forward to reminising thru your report and also doing some planning.

Taking my hubby (he's never been) in May for our 1 year anniversary. :goodvibes Hoping to stay at Aulani for a week before headed on our NCL cruise. Don't know if I'll be able to get a week in May at the 7 month window. :confused3

Can't wait to read more!

Finally got enough sleep after our trip to be able to access the DISboards and had to find your TR! You bring back so many memories of our honeymoon trip to Kauai DW and I took 30 years ago! Great pics and even better narration. I'm loving the stroll down memory lane and look forward to the rest! Thx podsnel!!

All caught up, Ellen! :thumbsup2
Your trip sounds really awesome and your photos are breathtaking! I cannot wait for MORE!!!!!!!!!! popcorn:: :goodvibes

Yes, I'm loving your trip report. Hawaii is my favorite place in the whole world. It even ranks higher than Disney. We live in CA so, we go at least once a year.

I should have worded my comment better as Brick Oven Pizza is on the way to or way back from Waimea Canyon. It is pizza restaurant run by a New Yorker Family. I think someone in the family married a Hawaiian person and they moved to New York or New Jersey or somewhere back East. Didn't like it so, they moved back to Kauai and open the pizza place. The pizza is really good. It isn't New York style so, not the same. But they have a garlic crust that is really good. If you go back you'll have to try it...

VERY jealous of everyone in CA who can hop over to Kauai the way we on the east coast can just hop over the the Caribbean. We met soooo many people in Hawaii from CA! I do love St John in the USVI dearly (and people there call Kauai the STJ of the Pacific) though. But even STJ loses to Kauai- it's pure heaven.

And I will put the NY Pizza on our list for next time! :) Thanks!

I'm joining in a bit late, hope that's ok!!

I'm really enjoying your TR!!! My hubby and I are celebrating our 25th next year, and Hawaii is looking really good right now after seeing all your beautiful photos! :thumbsup2

We're also seriously considering buying into DVC for our 25th anniversary gift to each other, so I'm enjoying seeing some of the other places we can go with DVC in addition to the parks. And since I live in west, Hawaii is very doable for us.

Loved your photos of all of the natural beauty that is Hawaii...including the shaved ice. :lmao: Yum...macadamia nut icecream. That would have been my choice, too.

Can't wait to read more!!

Diane ::MinnieMo

Another one who can get there faster than me! Jealous AGAIN! :rotfl: I think DVC is a GREAT anniversary gift- for us, I received 3 Christmas gifts 2 different times of DVC points- BEST GIFT EVER, IMHO. Do it!! And- happy anniversary!:goodvibes

Hi! So nice to meet you! And thanks for the extremely lovely compliments! My head's all big now, there'll be no liven with me! :rotfl:Which cruise did you take? I was thinking about doing that next time- but I can't get past the fact that Kauai is calling me back for a week just for it, but I really want to see Maui again and go to Hana and Haleakala for the sunrise....and then Aulani is on Oahu, so I'd need to go back there, too- SUCH a dilemma! I know that the NCL POA goes to Maui and Kauai overnight- but I don't think that's gonna be enough for me! It is SUCH a special place.....

You are welcome for the compliments and nice to meet you, too!

My first cruise to Hawaii was in 2003 with my MIL on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas and it was an AWESOME ship, so awesome that we went again in 2004 and took my DH that time! He liked cruising and Hawaii, but didn't like flying that far, so my we went without him in 2007 and sailed NCL Pride of America. They were both nice, probably preferred the Radiance a little (my MIL did for sure) but I would sail POA again! My MIL went two other times inbetween with friend's because she LOVES Hawaii! She is planning on winning the lottery and moving to Hawaii!! :rotfl2:

I wanted to go to Hawaii on our Honeymoon 35 year's ago, but we went to Disney World instead! Of course then, there was just the MK and the CR and Poly resorts. We stayed off property cause we were poor! LOL We are celebrating our 35th anniversary in Disney World this year!! :yay:

I have heard Radiance Class ships are very nice- I have also heard mixed things about POA- but I think I like their itinerary best of all the ships because of the overnights. I want to spend a lot more time on Kauai, and I'd also like to go back to Maui. And on Oahu, there was alot we didn't do because we were with the kids- historical stuff. Guess I'd better start saving up! :rotfl2:

....just saw a few pics from yer tr.:goodvibes

Looks like ya had fun.:cool1:
Now I get to have fun getting all caught up on your tr.:thumbsup2

P.S. (NYC was a blast!!):)

T.T.F.N.

Glad you had fun in the big apple! Did you see Pods at the Giants game (where the STUNK!)? :faint:

Love your trip report! I went to Hawaii back in 2007 & of course loved it. Looking forward to reminising thru your report and also doing some planning.

Taking my hubby (he's never been) in May for our 1 year anniversary. :goodvibes Hoping to stay at Aulani for a week before headed on our NCL cruise. Don't know if I'll be able to get a week in May at the 7 month window. :confused3

Can't wait to read more!

Great anniversary trip! We were able to get a 1 bdrm OV at 7 months- in August. I think if you go before most schools let out you'll be fine. Especially if you can be flexible about which type of room you get.:wizard:

Finally got enough sleep after our trip to be able to access the DISboards and had to find your TR! You bring back so many memories of our honeymoon trip to Kauai DW and I took 30 years ago! Great pics and even better narration. I'm loving the stroll down memory lane and look forward to the rest! Thx podsnel!!

Aloha Bill!! Welcome back! Are you doing a TR? Can you believe it is behind us instead of to look forward to? :sad: I got your PM- and I agree with all of your comments. we HATED that traffic! :rolleyes2 But loved the resort. And loved the North Shore, and the guys we went scuba diving with and kayaking with. Would definitely go back, tho.

Keeping up with the chatter !!!!

Mornin' Rosie!

All caught up, Ellen! :thumbsup2
Your trip sounds really awesome and your photos are breathtaking! I cannot wait for MORE!!!!!!!!!! popcorn:: :goodvibes

Welcome home! Have you started your TR? I am REALLY excited to see you booked BTB on the Fantasy- that is going to be INCREDIBLE!!!!! So happy you like the pics- they don't even come close to doing it justice. Most beautiful place I have ever been. I was literally brought to tears daily by all of it, just so heavenly. :lovestruc

Just found the report the scenery looks amazing

Welcome! And as I said to Karin above, my pics do not even come close to how breathtaking it truly was- heaven on earth.:lovestruc

Welcome home! Have you started your TR? I am REALLY excited to see you booked BTB on the Fantasy- that is going to be INCREDIBLE!!!!! So happy you like the pics- they don't even come close to doing it justice. Most beautiful place I have ever been. I was literally brought to tears daily by all of it, just so heavenly. :lovestruc

Hi Ellen!
I actually started my trip report yesterday. (see the link here? ;) :lmao:)

We booked those Fantasy cruises about half a year or so ago (well, in February :rotfl2:) and had already the whole trip laid out perfectly. Now, given our trip this year we are going to throw it all around again (but keeping the two cruises ;))

I am really trying to incorporate Hawaii into our 2014 itinerary, but at the moment it does not look good. Flights to California, 4 weeks there AND then a flight to Hawaii and possibly Aulani .... maybe if we win the lottery or flight prices go down. ;) :rotfl2:
In the meantime I am just taking in your photos and am hoping and praying we will make it to Hawaii some time.

We began our drive back to Kauai Beach resort, where we had left our luggage checked with bell services (never a good idea to leave the luggage in the car when you're hiking, even on Kauai). On the way, we drove through the tree tunnel- although I actually missed the turnoff, because I was checking facebook instead of playing co-pilot at the time. Shhh- don't tell Pods! ;) He thinks the GPS screwed up! :rotfl:

click to play-

KauaiAugust2012306.jpg

What was really so amazing about this island was that it seemed everywhere you turned it was just absolutely gorgeous. On the left, on the right- everywhere was beauty.

Oh...to be a school bus driver on Kauai...

KauaiAugust2012316.jpg

I think I could adjust to living there! We picked up the luggage at KBR and were on our way-

KauaiAugust2012320.jpg

On our way, in Anahola we tried to find the Kauai Wild Boar and fruit stand- but no luck. Guess we would have to locate something else for Tim & Ty, since Pods & I were having dinner at an adult restaurant tonight.

We were soon approaching the North Shore, and it felt positively jungle like-

click to play-

We would be staying in Princeville for the next 3 nights, and wanted to make a quick stop at the Princeville shopping center for a few things. Here we ordered some quesadillas, tacos etc for T&T's dinner at Frederico's Fresh Mex, then Pods & boys went snack shopping at Foodland and I went in search of some wine at the Princeville Wine Market. Grabbed the Mexican food, and it was time to check in-

click to play-

We were parked and riding with our tons of luggage on the golf cart to our studio condo. Hanalei Bay resort is almost like 2 resorts in one. On the one hand, it's a timeshare, and you can trade in or book directly through the resort to stay in one of their timeshare properties (which receive mixed reviews, FWIW). We were not doing that- I had rented from a woman named Janice who owns a large condo which she has furnished BEAUTIFULLY, here is a link to see the whole thing- http://www.summitpacificinc.com/430123.html. We were only renting one small part of that, 4303- because we felt that we weren't going to be in the room a whole lot, and we were only staying 3 nights. Any longer, and I definitely would have booked 4302. I would HIGHLY recommend renting from Janice, she was absolutely LOVELY to deal with, she allowed us early check in (which we didn't take advantage of) AND late check out on Tuesday (5pm), left 2 beach chairs and 2 boogie boards for us, too. All of that was wonderful, but the main reason I wanted to rent from Janice was her view. Completely jawdropping, even in the fog and/or rain.

KauaiAugust2012324.jpg

KauaiAugust2012326.jpg

She left this welcome basket for us- really, so thoughtful-

KauaiAugust2012327.jpg

KauaiAugust2012328.jpg

Even T&T were impressed with our view-

KauaiAugust2012330.jpg

Timmy was NOT impressed, however, by the Roosters who were CONSTANTLY crowing outside. :rotfl:

KauaiAugust2012332.jpg

KauaiAugust2012335.jpg

They ate, we showered, and we left for our romantic dinner-

KauaiAugust2012337.jpg

Up next- dinner at Kauai Grill, St Regis, Princeville......

Tonight we would be dining at the Kauai Grill, which is one of Jean George Vongerichten's restaurants. Saturday was the only night it would be open while we were there, so we did not have much choice about when to go- and thankfully, the boys were fine with it- they were looking forward to chillaxing in bed after our busy, busy day.
I had flip flopped a LOT on this restaurant- it is very expensive, and it gets mixed reviews. But it has amazing views of the sunset, and if I had to eat during the sunset on my first full day on Kauai, well- I had to be somewhere I could watch. So, after dining there myself, I have nothing but good things to say. I thought the whole evening was magnificent.

The resort itself is beautiful.

KauaiAugust2012338.jpg

Once we had figured out where we were going, we were seated one row away from the windows- so sunset viewing was not going to be a problem. :)
Of course, since I had been obsessing over this restaurant choice for months, I had also been obsessing over the menu for months- starting with the cocktails. I ordered a Ginger Margarita
Sauza Hornitos Reposado Tequila, Ginger, Lime
Ginger Salt

KauaiAugust2012341.jpg

Yummmm.....Pods tried a Pineapple Mojito
Bacardi Light Rum, Pineapple, Mint

KauaiAugust2012342.jpg

The pineapple was a nice addition to the traditional mojito. Next were appetizers- and I was slightly torn between two, but ultimately decided I HAD to check this one out- Crispy Poached Eggs
Caviar, Vodka Crème Fraîche

KauaiAugust2012346.jpg

It was INCREDIBLE!!!!! They actually lightly poach the egg first, then coat it (very gently- they lose a lot of eggs in the process) with panko and deep fry it. Crazy, crazy over-the-top inventive! Pods was in the mood for Grilled shrimp, which is changed from the current menu online-

KauaiAugust2012347.jpg

Great flavor. It began to downpour outside- the North Shore of Kauai is known to be rainy, so it came as no surprise to anyone, including the paddle boarders and kayakers we were watching out on Hanalei Bay. They just kept on going, and eventually, it stopped...and they kept on going some more.

We shared a bottle of wine with dinner, I believe it was Vouvray “Les Cuvée des Fondraux” 2008 Champalou
Loire Valley, France. I love Vouvray, and this did not disappoint, while being very reasonable at $44, I thought.

For our entrees, Pods chose better than I did. I ordered Hapuupuu
Malaysian Chili Sauce
Thai Basil
38 - mainly because I liked saying hapuupuu:p, but I had forgotten reviews I read (which turned out to be correct, I think) that said the chili sauce is overpowering for the fish.. But I did like this particular fish a lot! It is also known as Hawaiian Black Sea Bass-

KauaiAugust2012349.jpg

Pods wisely chose the signature entree- Mahi Mahi
Nut and Seed Crust
Sweet and Sour Jus

KauaiAugust2012350.jpg

THAT was fabulous! I also ordered a side,which was corn with jalepenos and cheese (not on current menu)- it was ok, nothing I'm dying to go back for again.

KauaiAugust2012351.jpg

The sun was setting-

KauaiAugust2012352.jpg

KauaiAugust2012361.jpg

KauaiAugust2012362.jpg

and with it, we ordered dessert. I was very curious about this one, so I tried it- White Chocolate and Yuzu Pavlova
Thai Basil Syrup

KauaiAugust2012368.jpg

I just couldn't do it- it was too far over the top for me, and the waiter graciously noticed I wasn't eating it and removed it from our bill. Pods ordered better AGAIN with Coconut Panna Cotta
Exotic Fruit Salad, Lilikoi Sorbet

KauaiAugust2012369.jpg

That was so light and delish.

I am really happy we went here, and I would not hesitate to go back- on our way out, we admired the gorgeous St Regis, Princeville (this was formerly the Princeville Hotel, and it is the hotel George Clooney styed in while filming The Descendents- it is also featured in the film. Gotta say, if I was George Clooney, I'd book a suite here, too. OMG, it was soooo nice there!).

KauaiAugust2012372.jpg

KauaiAugust2012376.jpg

KauaiAugust2012379.jpg

KauaiAugust2012382.jpg

The valet brought our car, and it was back to HBR and to bed- good thing the ST Regis was right next door, we were out like a light in minutes!

Up next- screaming makes you go faster on the ziplines at Princeville Ranch!

I love the Princeville area and going out to Ke'e Beach to walk the beach and watch the sunset.

Wow! Great updates, Ellen!

The photos in part 1 are again stunning and the food looks ..... well, let's say, VERY inviting. ;)
Just what I need when I am trying to skip dinner. :rotfl2:

Well, that's not exactly right. Up next is breakfast, not ziplining- cause you KNOW I gotta eat!! :rotfl:

I was up early and first again, although I think I made it just past sunrise today. Still, I was happy to go sit out on the balcony and just BE, because who could ever get tired of this view-

KauaiAugust2012385.jpg

Not me, that's for sure. I was still pinching myself every 5 minutes to make sure it was real. Pods woke up and I convinced him we should go into Hanalei for breakfast, letting the boys sleep in a bit longer. We walked to the car, seeing it had rained some more-

KauaiAugust2012388.jpg

KauaiAugust2012389.jpg

We felt bad for the tennis employees- it seemed they were always swabbin the decks, getting rid of the rain on all the tennis courts with giant squeegies.

I did love the drive into Hanalei every day. I know in the Descendants movie, it seemed George Clooney jogged from his hotel to Hanalei Bay, but this is just not possible (unless he went for a swim on the way). The Hanalei river needs to be crossed to get there. I don't know about George, but for us by car (and everyone else) you do that via a one lane bridge- custom is for 6 cars to pass before 6 cars pass in the other direction. KWIM?

KauaiAugust2012390.jpg

Driving into sleepy Hanalei, you just know you are going somewhere special-

KauaiAugust2012391.jpg

It is a little surfer town, and I am head over heels in love with it. :love:

Today we were having breakfast at the Wake Up Cafe. It's described as a local surfer joint. Which is how they describe everywhere in hanalei!

KauaiAugust2012397.jpg

There were only a few people eating when we arrived. I think it was all of 7am. I went with the recommended specialties- a Mac Nut Cinnamon Roll for $4(I ordered a second for the boys)

KauaiAugust2012393.jpg

and OMG, the BEST yogurt brekkie ever-the Hanalei Bowl- half a papaya topped with yogurt and homemade granola ($9.50)

KauaiAugust2012394.jpg

Pods got a not so great omelet- the server said our best things are starred, and omelets were not starred, so his loss for not paying attention-)

KauaiAugust2012395.jpg

KauaiAugust2012396.jpg

We placed an order to take back with us (oh- did I mention the coffee? I should- it was amazing!). I wanted to get Tyler the Over the Falls- french toast, topped with pineapple, coconut and whipped cream made with Portuguese sweet bread ($9.50). Unfortunately, that one doesn't pack well, so I had to choose plain french toast for Tim and some kind of eggs for Ty. On the way back, we pulled over to look at the Taro Fields (and I am cursing myself because it was cloudy that morning- I meant to go back when it was sunny! I need another trip! I missed a photo! :rotfl:).

KauaiAugust2012398.jpg

KauaiAugust2012399.jpg

KauaiAugust2012400.jpg

Back in 4303, T&T were up, and having I think Skittles for breakfast-:scared1:

KauaiAugust2012406.jpg

Which was then changed to brekkie on the balcony-

Kauaiwat001.jpg

Kauaiwat002.jpg

And our first rainbow of the trip-

Kauaiwat004.jpg

Kauaiwat005.jpg

Heaven. Pure heaven.

Up next- ziplines!!!!

Nice update! The room looks great. I assume that being a third floor unit you had to climb stairs to get there right?

You're starting to sell me on Kauai (although I really want to do the Big Island), we may do both and Aulani!

Hi Ellen! You got some amazing pics! Looks like paradise with a capital P! I thought Oahu was beautiful, but Kauai is beyond words.

Im glad you took advantage of going to dinner at Kauai Grill. It's not like you could just save it for next week or something. :thumbsup2

What a fun adventure for your brekkie! You had my kind of breakfast this time!:lmao:

I'm back & getting caught up. I love the pictures of Kuai, (my spelling isn't so good), exactly the type of place I would like to visit!

I love the outfit you wore to dinner, the colors are beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter