Getting older-How do you keep your self esteem up?

Building some depth of character and appreciating the value in oneself greater than the outside appearance is important as we age.

When people no longer react to a youthful outside hopefully they will look deeper - that's not so bad as long as there's something there.

At 54 I'm not as physically attractive as I once was, that's there for sure. However, I think my life's experiences make me a more valuable person and a smarter one too. That'll do!

Beauty is the first present nature gives to a woman and the first it takes away - Mere

Interesting thread.

My opinion--it definitely helps to hang around positive people.

Also, I think it helps to reach a point where you are satisfied with who you are, instead of wishing for a "new you" (i.e., a younger, thinner, richer, more successful, etc. you).

Interesting thread.

My opinion--it definitely helps to hang around positive people.

Also, I think it helps to reach a point where you are satisfied with who you are, instead of wishing for a "new you" (i.e., a younger, thinner, richer, more successful, etc. you).

Well, unfortunately looks are on *my* self esteem list.

I can believe that I am a smart, creative, nice person on the inside and still not like a lot of things on the outside. I wish that wasn't the case, but at this point in my life, that's how I feel.

Note, that's not how I look at other people, that's just how I feel about myself.

tkyes,
I don't mean this in a mean way but it is hard to feel sorry for you when I see a pic of how pretty you are. Enjoy your youth! You are a beautiful woman inside and out!

BHFan - I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, that's not what this was about.

Everyone has their insecurities and can find some flaw in their appearance, I'm just trying to figure out how to come to terms with mine.

tamie

To be perfectly honest, I take comfort in the fact that I have a very good job and am (relatively speaking) well compensated. I was never one of the "cool" or "beautiful" or "fun" girls...just one of the smart quiet ones...I have accomplished a lot by plain old boring hard work and perseverance, which I think is a pretty good example for my children. I have never gotten a job or a promotion due to a gorgeous face or a knock out body, so getting older is not such a big deal. I am also in a profession that values a bit of age and experience, so that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!