Getting Dining Reservations Last minute

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We are going next week but since we reserved the trip only a month ago we have dining reservations that are not 1st choice. When I was on the phone with Dining they explained that a lot of people cancel within that 24 hour period and I could try and secure a reservation then. But my question is, what do I do with all of my reservations that are now too late to cancel ( the credit card charge). Is it best to go into the trip without those undesirable reservations and just try and secure in those 24 hours or just take our chances with walk in?

We are going next week but since we reserved the trip only a month ago we have dining reservations that are not 1st choice. When I was on the phone with Dining they explained that a lot of people cancel within that 24 hour period and I could try and secure a reservation then. But my question is, what do I do with all of my reservations that are now too late to cancel ( the credit card charge). Is it best to go into the trip without those undesirable reservations and just try and secure in those 24 hours or just take our chances with walk in?
The credit card charge only applies if you cancel within 24 hours of your reservation. If you really don't want to eat at the times you selected, I'd cancel. Who knows, maybe the person with the timeslot you want, wants your timeslot.

I'd also look at the free dining alerts and set up alerts for what you do want.

Final option, many places offer walk up wait list. Some are in the app and some are in person. You can always try that option, though, you may be back at the less than ideal time again.

When I want a more desirable meal reservation I will check often to try and get it. I try different times, too as long as it doesn't interfere with other plans.

You can cancel your current reservations without charge, as long as, you do it before the window. The window can differ depending where you have your reservation. Check for the window by calling and then you will know your exact window.

Last edited:

Where do you find dining alerts? My 60 day window opened yesterday morning and was disappointed to only to get 2 of our 4 dinner reservations made. Wasn’t able to get Teppan Edo during either of our Epcot nights and don’t love our Via Napoli at 4:25pm being so early. We’re also waiting to make reservations at Steakhouse 71 whenever that opens up and possibly Space 220 with everyone else. This will be our 8th trip to Disney and I’ve never had difficulty getting reservations before until now.

Definitely check the evening/night before for openings at the places you want. As long as you cancel your reservations by midnight, you won't be charged the cancellation fee. We were there last week of August and the reservations coming available the night before were surprising and great to see. Things also change so much when you are on vacation that the plans I made months in advance weren't really the events that transpired! Ogas and 'Ohana are always going to be hard to find (these rarely came up the day before) but it's not impossible if you check often!

what do I do with all of my reservations that are now too late to cancel
The credit card charge only applies if you cancel within 24 hours of your reservation.
To be clear, the cancellation charge is not based on 24-hours, but on "the day before" the reservation. As long as you cancel before midnight, you will not be charged.

I find it's pretty easy to pick up some great reservations the night before.

You are also able to go in and modify a reservation the day of to any further date/time, confirm the change and then cancel it. As long as there’s a date to move the reservation to you can do this without a fee since you will be canceling the modified reservation before that cancel timeframe.

You are also able to go in and modify a reservation the day of to any further date/time, confirm the change and then cancel it. As long as there’s a date to move the reservation to you can do this without a fee since you will be canceling the modified reservation before that cancel timeframe.
Yep this has been my savior this past year. So few options I book “in case” I can’t find food and cancel if don’t need that day.

Agree with others. Keep trying to modify. Especially 1-2 days before, a lot of time slots can become available, sometimes even at the really popular restaurants.
We have had good luck with Touring plans Reservation finder as well.
If not luck, then cancel what you don't want.
Depending on the restaurant, walk up may be an option.

During my trip last month, I was able to cancel several reservations day-of without penalty. I used the phone app to view the reservation I wanted to cancel, and tapped "cancel." When it told me I wasn't able to do this on the app, it gave me a number to call. I dialed that number and was given an automated voice prompt to speak in the reservation number and then given the choice to cancel. No fees.

Your mileage may vary? I don't know.

Where do you find dining alerts? My 60 day window opened yesterday morning and was disappointed to only to get 2 of our 4 dinner reservations made. Wasn’t able to get Teppan Edo during either of our Epcot nights and don’t love our Via Napoli at 4:25pm being so early. We’re also waiting to make reservations at Steakhouse 71 whenever that opens up and possibly Space 220 with everyone else. This will be our 8th trip to Disney and I’ve never had difficulty getting reservations before until now.
I will DM you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter