Genie + How good or bad is it?

We had great success with Genie. We were able to buy it for the length of trip (before they changed that) My DD and I watched videos on using it, we found it really helpful at MK and HS. My DD was on task with booking our next right after we used one. She did a great job stacking. I'd buy it again

I loved Genie + and I used it at MK and Epcot. I purchased it day by day and only bought it for Epcot as Remy was down for early entry and I didn’t want to wait in a long line later. I was able to use it for Frozen, Remy, and TT plus others and that was buying it an hour after I could have as we didn’t purchase until we were in the park. I will say that it was work getting all 3 of the big rides though. Molly’s videos were a lifesaver!

I think it depends on how you like to visit Disney and how much you enjoy using your phone. I’m a planner and don’t tend to use my phone much so I hate Genie+. I made my husband handle it. I’m one of those people who only checks their phone a few times a day. I don’t like being glued to it. He does like using his smart phone but even he said that Genie+ made the trip a lot more stressful. It makes everyone oddly competitive and you’re constantly thinking of what you have to do next instead of just enjoying the moment you’re in.

The big downside is cost, and it's a sneaky cost. Before you could prepay for most things and budget for them. With LL+ and Genie+, you're paying for it every day while on vacation, so it's harder to keep track of the spending until you get home.
We are pre-buying Disney GC at Sam's for a discount. We went ahead and budgeted for Genie+ and approximate cost for ILL each day. Same with food.

Will start with the cons:
  • costs money (vs old Fastpass was free)
  • you do need to be on your phone
  • was a bit stressful trying to book an ADR at 60 day mark and having to work Lightning Lane times around it
  • harder to pre-plan - did more zig zagging in the park with LL since we booked the next one by priority vs logistics
Now for the pros:
  • instead of bypassing the lines for just 3 rides, you can bypass the lines for many/most rides (if not sold out)
  • we went when it wasn't busy so were able to use for multiple headliners
  • also helps to bypass the lines for shorter rides - 30 minutes saved is still 30 minutes
  • With the old FastPass, some rides were very hard to ride without a long wait (e.g. Flight of Passage). With LL, you can easily ride it without a wait (but may have to pay additional)
  • easy to use once you got the hang of it
For our trip, I really liked Genie+ even though it cost us more (but same with Disneyland MaxPass). It definitely worked for us and saved us tons of time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter