GC Incentive if Housekeeping Declined? Update July 14 - Testing Concluded

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of a hotel that didn't provide free basic housekeeping. I'd never stay somewhere that I had to pay for it.

"Copying something that other hotels are already doing isn't all that interesting, really"
"I have this attitude based on experience with other hotels doing the same thing. Why do you think Disney is looking to be a pioneer with charging for housekeeping?"

You seem very confused about your point.

No, Disney isn't being a pioneer in offering an incentive to their customers/guests when they decline housekeeping. Many hotels do it.

Yes, they would be if they stopped offering any sort of housekeeping, unless you paid extra for it. No, no one expects them to make this move. This would be going against the industry standard, and not something Disney would pioneer.
So what is the industry standard? You say Disney isn't going to go against the industry standard, then you say many hotels do not offer it? Which is it?

So what is the industry standard? You say Disney isn't going to go against the industry standard, then you say many hotels do not offer it? Which is it?

The standard is to offer basic housekeeping at no extra charge. WDW is definitely not planning on going against this.

It's becoming more standard for hotels to offer an incentive to guests that forgo housekeeping. WDW is testing going this way.

There's a very big difference between offering an incentive to forgo a basic service (which WDW is trying) and charging extra for a basic service (which WDW will not do).

"Copying something that other hotels are already doing isn't all that interesting, really"
"I have this attitude based on experience with other hotels doing the same thing. Why do you think Disney is looking to be a pioneer with charging for housekeeping?"

Right...there are other hotels that offer incentives to decline housekeeping. Disney isn't doing anything new or innovative with offering incentives to decline housekeeping. I've never heard of a hotel that charges for basic housekeeping. There is a big difference between the two.

I don't think Disney is looking to be the first hotel to foray into charging for housekeeping. Industry standard is to provide free basic housekeeping, and I see no reason to think that Disney won't stick with that.

Ok, I totally get that now. Dansdad and KrazeeK120 post here makes the point much clearer to me. But do you not think that at some point, that they will drop the incentive and just schedule house keeping like DVC?

Ok, I totally get that now. Dansdad and KrazeeK120 post here makes the point much clearer to me. But do you not think that at some point, that they will drop the incentive and just schedule house keeping like DVC?

I honestly can't see them dumping housekeeping. A lot of people want (and expect) housekeeping as part of their vacation. DVC is a timeshare, and that's a different animal than a standard hotel room.

No.

Well for the sake of people who do enjoy it, I hope both of the above statements are correct.

Not a chance.

They just aren't going to go against the industry standards.

That is not what the plan is and I don't see that changing.

Local Union FB Post
Looks like the test is over and not coming back.

UNITE HERE Central Florida
13 mins ·

Disney's "Service Your Way" at All Star Music is ending! The program offers guests financial incentives to decline service - reducing schedules for Housekeepers and resulting in messier rooms and heavier workloads when guests check out. Sticking together works! Let's make sure this program doesn't come back...

Last edited:
Local Union FB Post

13 mins ·

Disney's "Service Your Way" at All Star Music is ending! The program offers guests financial incentives to decline service - reducing schedules for Housekeepers and resulting in messier rooms and heavier workloads when guests check out. Sticking together works! Let's make sure this program doesn't come back...

All I gotta say is I hope they remember this when they are doing their jobs. Some I know do great jobs, but there have been times when I've had sub-par housekeeping.

We also love housekeeping. I don't go on vacation to make beds, wipe down counters and reuse damp towels. At these prices, there better not be any added charge for housekeeping-not one cent. That would be the end of our Disney trips forever and I wouldn't even be sorry about it. Talk about a line in the sand-that would be it for me.
Not just Disney, but other vacation resorts who try this upcharge will cause me to do STAYCATIONS.

Local Union FB Post

13 mins ·

Thanks for posting. I for one am glad the incentive is done. As a union person it was clear to me that this type if incententive would make the workers job a lot harder (by having to clean a room that was dirtier that had forgone housekeeping) and also taking money out of workers pockets' - the more people forgoing housekeeping the more workers hours were cut (as the article noted) and eventually that would lead to a loss of jobs. In my opinion this was a Bad idea that could only lead to loss of jobs for people who really need their jobs and rooms that are not as well kept - keep your gift cards Disney and keep your mouse keepers employed!!

Well, one would hope if housekeeping comes in everyday, they would be emptying the garbage cans or notice a new wet/dirty stain on the carpet.

If someone makes a mess the first day, cleans it a bit, doesn't notify housekeeping and is there for over a week, it will smell. Food in a garbage can for over a couple days will smell.

I really just don't trust people to clean up after themselves. I see the ladies bathrooms at work... :scared:
OMG;yes this is so true. some folks don't mind living in filth. Over time this will become a problem if people don't clean behind themselves and don't want house keeping just to to save money. We are talking hundreds of families in and out of theses rooms per week. If a family don't want house keeping then just put up the sign. Disney is not going to give away incentives forever. They will get us accustomed to doing without and then get rid of house keeping altogether, This is the new norm with these companies. On the other side, people need to work. They need jobs. If this become the new norm, how many people would be out of work? If my my company did away with my JOB then our wouldn't have this luxury to even be worried about Disney house keeping.

Last edited:
Not just Disney, but other vacation resorts who try this upcharge will cause me to do STAYCATIONS.

What upcharge? WDW is not, nor are they thinking of, charging extra for basic housekeeping. :confused3

Last edited:
Local Union FB Post

13 mins ·

Thanks @HopperFan for the update!

I'll edit the first post.

Local Union FB Post

13 mins ·

Good for them!

All I gotta say is I hope they remember this when they are doing their jobs. Some I know do great jobs, but there have been times when I've had sub-par housekeeping.
I have too.

But without any background information, we have no idea why that is. Maybe Disney is asking them to do twice as many rooms? We have no idea what's being asked for on a daily basis. So I'll reserve judgement and just take up any issues I have when they arise.

I'm glad to read this. Glad that other Dissers were able to get me to understand what exactly was going on.

But it seems to go fine with DVC, so anyone got any opinions on why it can work for them? Or any insite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter