Gay character in new Beauty movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if "thank you" is the right response, but I said the same thing in the other thread. Today was the first I heard of it, googled trailers, found that and watched it. Granted I know LeFou dances around in the cartoon, but it's the lying down tabletop pose and way he sits crossing ankles on bar.
Don't forget the stereotypical limp wrists during the Tom, Dick or Stanley part. And pretty much everything after that.

I know I'll love this film but he will definitely be a distraction.

I can care less if he's gay, straight, trans or whatever new term you can think of, what bothers me is that THEY'RE REMAKING BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Beauty and the Beast is one of the most beautiful animated films ever made and works so well that my biggest fear is this version will ruin the novelty of the animated one. Don't get me started on the lion king remake

By the way fun fact I just thought of: for Jean Cocteau's version, the beast and the director were a real life couple. This isn't news in the world of this story I take it

Disney has always faced backlash for embracing the LGBT crowd, for lack of a better term.

I recall 16 years ago (man time flies), on our way to night of joy, there were protesters out trying to convince church groups to turn around. This was right after Disney really started ramping up the Gay days or whatever they are called (not sure what the official term is/was).

Good for Disney. I knock them a lot, but they've been a pioneer in this arena, and equality has always been high on their list.

Unless we are talking about economics :)

I was there during the period you described...

There was no concern for the "organized" resistance...and the attendance swelled.

There were complaints...to which my response once was a blunt (and somewhat inappropriate): "do you know you're on vacation? Do you know what our workforce demographics are? Is this your first day on this planet?"

...it was effective...I'll say That ;)

I saw the clip with the song in the pub (can't remember the name of the song), and I have to say I don't get the controversy. I guess I don't look too deep into sub plots, or I just don't care, but to me it is just a funny song in a movie. So what if one male character is infatuated with another? Why does there have to be a hidden motive? Just enjoy the movie folks.

I saw the clip with the song in the pub (can't remember the name of the song), and I have to say I don't get the controversy. I guess I don't look too deep into sub plots, or I just don't care, but to me it is just a funny song in a movie. So what if one male character is infatuated with another? Why does there have to be a hidden motive? Just enjoy the movie folks.
:yay::dogdance::thanks:

...because people are stupid...that's all

I said it in another thread but just want to clarify that clip is not where the moment happens. That is one of the many with LeFou that will end with him getting some of fully gay moment. I kind of hate calling it that though it is just a human moment really but the embargo has not lifted yet (unless it lifted today) so no one will be able to fully talk about the scene in question as it has not yet been put out for public viewing and reviewers that have seen it can only give the quick reactionary type reviews not the in depth ones.

With that said your last sentence is the best. It is a movie just enjoy it.

I don't go to the movies looking for any sort of message or higher meaning; I don't care about what actors are or aren't in it, I don't care about what characters may or may not be in it, I'm looking to escape. If I can watch a movie and not think of anything else during that time, I'm happy. The rest doesn't matter to me.

I wouldn't say that yet. It could help them.
There could be some upset people on the other side of the fence too due to the fact that they might not appreciate that the character that they opted to portray as gay is the "village idiot" instead of a hero figure. It's hard to tell sometimes which way the Internet outrage machine will break.

Being a gay man I have to say it bothers me. Not that the character of Le Fou is gay but how flamboyant and cliche Josh Gad is playing him. Granted I've only seen the "Gaston". Hopefully he's not that "prancy" the entire movie.

In the DHS clip he was not like that at all actually.

What I'm questioning is:

Why do any of you care? Who cares?? I thought we had evolved as a society where we don't care about this kind of thing.

No one had a fit when Moana didn't have a love interest as a plot to the story so who cares?! Disney makes movies to its demographics. The world is evolving. Disney should evolve too.

Love is love. I mean, we're fine with the fact that this story alludes to beastiality and Stockholm syndrome, I think it's silly to even have a characters sexuality be an issue.

Maybe I'm missing the point here. Perhaps there's another reason this has been brought up, but I for one, am just fine watching a modern version that is relatable to today's cultures

Last edited:
There could be some upset people on the other side of the fence too due to the fact that they might not appreciate that the character that they opted to portray as gay is the "village idiot" instead of a hero figure. It's hard to tell sometimes which way the Internet outrage machine will break.

There are a few but not many. It is very much the minority on the other side as well that are getting upset. Most of my friends are happy for any representation even if it is LeFou. Many say the undertones were already there in the original so it isn't a big leap to have him be that way here.

This just reminds me of the "outrage" from Star Trek where one of the characters was more outwardly gay including having a husband and a daughter. I think at most they had a quick kiss like many other married couples and people flipped.

I'm seeing it on FB more. It's where I found out about this actually. I figured it was just rumor like the Frozen bit.

Its so funny you said this - my FB feed is all "I hate musicals, but YAY! Disney," and people generally saying they'll go see it just to be supportive. From a story point of view, this development makes SO flipping much sense to me based on the original. When I heard this all I could think was "of course!"

However, if we're going for stereotypes, don't you think the LeFou's Brew would be better if it was produced by a gay man? Can we talk to the Disney execs about this? (Just said in a kidding way, like if me, the most basic B couldn't tell you how to make the perfect pumpkin spice latte.)

What I'm questioning is:

Why do any of you care? Who cares?? I thought we had evolved as a society where we don't care about this kind of thing.

No one had a fit when Moana didn't have a love interest as a plot to the story so who cares?! Disney makes movies to its demographics. The world is evolving. Disney should evolve too.

Love is love. I mean, we're fine with the fact that this story alludes to beastiality and Stockholm syndrome, I think it's silly to even have a characters sexuality be an issue.

Maybe I'm missing the point here. Perhaps there's another reason this has been brought up, but I for one, am just fine watching a modern version that is relatable to today's cultures

You're a bit of a dreamer in this day and age, ain't ya?
:duck:

Supposedly ... according to folklorists ... not so much about bestiality and Stockholm syndrome, but an allegory about a young woman's fears that her future husband will be "beastly" and that her marriage will be a form of entrapment and estrangement from her family.

Not going to lie reading all the people who are planning to "boycott" this movie on Facebook because of this has me a tad worried. Not to be political or anything but these are the same people that have announced their boycott towards the Oscars, Starbucks, CNN, Nordstrom, SNL, Oreos (not nabisco though), Kellogg's, Doritos, the Super Bowl, Meryl Streep, Harry Potter, Hollywood, Netflix, Hamilton, 84 Lumber, and several hundred others. I guess I'm worried that this is going to backfire heavily on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter