Gatlinburg

We went two summers ago and had a great time. We booked a cabin through Heaven’s Cabins. It was at the perfect location, overlooking Gatlinburg and a short trip to town, but still in the mountains.

We are not too into the touristy stuff, but we did ride a mountain coaster in Pigeon Forge and play mini-golf at Hillbilly Golf. So fun! One of our favorite things was tubing in Townsend with River Rat Tubing. The rest of our trip was spent in the national park. We hiked Alum Cave Trail (my favorite - absolutely beautiful), Laurel Falls, Clingman’s Dome, Grotto Falls. We also drove through Roaring Forks several times. We packed our lunches everyday and ate in the park. Our favorite picnic spot was Chimney Tops.

Have a great time!
Regarding the tubing, would a three year old ride in the tube with a parent? Also, do you tip in the tubes and is the water freezing?

Thanks for all your suggestions - I’m starting a list! We are going in July. Will it be too hot to hike - we are northerners lol?
Any great places to eat you can recommend?

Hi OP: I don't know about places to eat, but have a couple of other suggestions for you.
It's nice to hike and play in the creeks, BUT you must be on the lookout for snakes. I used to live in Tn, and we had all kinds of snakes, with poisonous rattlesnakes and water moccasins. They like to hang around water and trails too. I don't want to scare you, but I think it's something people who are not from Tn. or the South don't think about. We live in the north now (with plenty of bears that visit us in the Spring), but remember all the snakes in the South. Just need to look down and be aware:)
Also, we visited Gatlinburg many years ago. We enjoyed just walking around the town and visiting the art galleries there. I don't know if they have those anymore or if the town has become commercialized now. They had a gondola ride to the top of the mountain that I remember.

Have a great time. Sorry to bring up snakes, but I just wanted you to be aware of them if you are from the north.

Regarding the tubing, would a three year old ride in the tube with a parent? Also, do you tip in the tubes and is the water freezing?

I saw several parents holding a child on their laps. You can also teether your tubes together and have your child ride in the tube attached to yours. The water is pretty mild and I only saw one person flip. There are a few places where there are small rapids, but nothing crazy or wild. The water wasn't freezing but it wasn't bath water either. You got used to it pretty quickly. We went the last week of June, so the water might get warmer as the summer goes on.

DH and I visit this area several times a year. Most definitely visit Cades Cove. Go early morning or in the evening.

I. would also suggest visiting Dollywood. We’ve only been there once, and didn’t ride a single ride, but we loved it and can’t wait to visit again. I know they allow you to purchase a pass later in the day, and you can visit for the rest of the day and then the entire next day. I would do that for sure.

Ride a mountain coaster. Our kids loved that. And, try to do a dinner show in Pigeon Forge. We have done several, and they’re definitely worth it.

Most of all, have fun!
Have you guys ever had a chance to do this? We haven't but would love too.

2022 Smoky Mountains Synchronous Fireflies Event

Planning a summer trip and would love suggestions for fun things for kids to do. We like short hikes as well as touristy stuff. Any suggestions where to stay are appreciated too. We are going for a week so want to rent a cabin to save money and the kids want to see bears lol
Just to let you know there are a lot of great places to eat in the area as well!
The Johnson Family Restaurants are really good, family oriented, and locally owned!

That sounds awesome! Which months is this usually held?

Here ya go

When Can I View The Synchronous Fireflies In The Smoky Mountains?
The 2022 dates for the official Smoky Mountains National Park synchronous fireflies event will be announced on April 26, 2022.
How Do I Get Tickets For Synchronous Fireflies In The Smoky Mountains?
The lottery period for the 2022 synchronous fireflies official park passes opens on Friday, April 29 at 08:00 AM and closes Monday, May 2 at 8:00 PM.
Once the passes go on sale, you will be able to purchase them from Recreation.gov. For each of the seven evenings, there are 111 advance parking passes (first-come, first-serve) and 36 large vehicle passes (first-come, first-serve).
Each of the lottery applicants will receive a notification on whether or not a vehicle pass will be awarded on Thursday, May 12, 2022. If you are selected, you will be charged a $25.00 (per vehicle) fee for the pass by Recreation.gov and an additional $2 (cash only) fee per person while boarding the round-trip shuttle to the viewing area.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I’m starting a list! We are going in July. Will it be too hot to hike - we are northerners lol?
Any great places to eat you can recommend?
Did you get to go? I'm interested in how your trip went. We're thinking about going next June.

Yes we had a great week! Did some hiking, Dollywood, Anakeesta, Tuckaleechee Caverns, the Aquarium and the usual typical touristy stuff. We saw elk and even baby bears and even had a bear visit our rental cabin twice. The second time he came right up to us while we were in the hot tub! The kids (and the adults) all enjoyed our week in Gatlinburg!

Have a great time! We rent a cabin for a week and had plenty to do to fill our time. Restaurants were great too!
Thanks! We're hoping to stay at our DD's timeshare, if not then rent a home not too far into the mountains. I'm a flat lander, those winding, narrow mountain roads and I don't get along very well.

Which restaurants did you enjoy the most during your stay?

Thanks! We're hoping to stay at our DD's timeshare, if not then rent a home not too far into the mountains. I'm a flat lander, those winding, narrow mountain roads and I don't get along very well.

Which restaurants did you enjoy the most during your stay?
We had a great view from our chalet, but the roads were terrifying. They were narrow and our driveway was straight up and you had to back down!
We enjoyed No Way Jose’s, Bennetts Barbecue, Calhoun’s, Cherokee Grill and the Black Bear Cafe.
Enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter