Gatlinburg

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
Planning a summer trip and would love suggestions for fun things for kids to do. We like short hikes as well as touristy stuff. Any suggestions where to stay are appreciated too. We are going for a week so want to rent a cabin to save money and the kids want to see bears lol

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are very close together and could be considered one destination. We have never stayed in a cabin but have stayed in timeshares with the kids. There are timeshares in both towns. I have rented points to stay at Club Wyndham Smoky Mountains. We have been to Dollywood and Dollywood Splash country. In the summer we prefer Dollywood Splash Country.

Check out Yankee in the South Youtube channel. They film a lot through that area. We found a great outdoor burger place that they recommended in Towsend after Cade's Cove and it was awesome! We also got there before the crowds (see below) so that was a huge win.

We went this last summer for 4 nights. We did Cade's Cove EARLY (like threw the kids in the car as soon as they woke up early) and saw 4 families of bears. Bring water shoes or similar because my kids loved loved loved splashing in creeks. We hiked to Laurel Falls (saw another bear) and Chimney Tops. We went to The Island in Pigeon Forge one night for a walk around and ice cream. My husband and son did the go karts that were next to the outlet mall.

Have fun! We will probably be back!

There are tons of great places to play miniature golf and we really enjoyed the Aquarium in downtown Gatlinburg on our last trip! Make sure to check out Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge visitor's center websites for coupons for things in the area.

We really like the Aquarium. We did the Guinness World Record museum one time and it was not too good, so I don't recommend it.

Hillbilly Golf is a fun miniature golf course.

If you haven't rented a cabin yet, we always rented from Chalet Village and they have some really great cabins.

DH and I visit this area several times a year. Most definitely visit Cades Cove. Go early morning or in the evening.

I. would also suggest visiting Dollywood. We’ve only been there once, and didn’t ride a single ride, but we loved it and can’t wait to visit again. I know they allow you to purchase a pass later in the day, and you can visit for the rest of the day and then the entire next day. I would do that for sure.

Ride a mountain coaster. Our kids loved that. And, try to do a dinner show in Pigeon Forge. We have done several, and they’re definitely worth it.

Most of all, have fun!

We’ve used Wyndham Vacation rentals. I prefer a more isolated cabin and they had nice options.
I looked but the place we stayed isn’t offered anymore, it was a perfect location, in the middle of PG and Gatlinburg.

Lots to do. On top of Cades Cove and short hikes, I like to drive across to the NC side to view the Elk at the visitor center. I was walking along the creek minding my own business behind the center and turned around to literally 2 elk sitting there just staring at me, no more than 10 feet away. Also went to the highest point about halfway between Gatlinburg and Cherokee, but forget the name. My trips are more park during the day and in town activities at night. Costs do sneak up on you though-dinner, the aquarium, and a round of mini golf can hit $200-250 easily for 4.

We're not cabin people, so we stayed at a hotel. There are some shady looking ones there, so you really have to read reviews. We've been there twice and stayed at Margaritaville in Gatlinburg (highly recommend) and Margaritaville in Pigeon Forge. A friend of mine stayed at Black Fox Resort and really liked it. We prefer Gatlinburg over Pigeon Forge bc everything is close together and you can walk to everything.

Reco:
Cades Cove
Visit Sugarland Moonshine. PB&J Moonshine is awesome!
Best meal was Pottery Cafe
Anakeesta (buy tix in the am and ride up as much as you want. Go back at night!)

At the English Mountain Trout Farm in Sevierville, you can catch trout to have for dinner. You can eat there without fishing also.

We have gone many times.

Hillbilly Golf
Aquarium
Mountain coaster
Hikes
Eat at Pancake Pantry
Hatfield and McCoy dinner show was cheesy/funny.

Prices do add up.

The Island is fun for kids and teens. Go to the 3 Bears General store to see or feed the bears and buy fudge. Public can buy entry to the water park at Westgate Resorts. Plenty of places in town to ride coasters or slingshots. The parrot sanctuary is nice. There is an outlet mall in town. Watch candy or cider making at the Apple Barn and restaurant. Forge your own knife from a nail or railroad stake at the blacksmith behind the Old Mill.

We are a big group so will need a cabin. Anyone have any recommendations?

Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge / Sevierville is a regular getaway for me, whether with my family or group of friends. I've been at least 18 times and always stay at Little Valley Mountain Resort. It is located in the Sevierville area but is only a couple minutes from Pigeon Forge...basically just far enough out of the main drag to enjoy the quiet of the mountains. They have numerous cabins of all sizes from 4 - 16 guests. Cabins are next to each other, but I've never had an issue with privacy or overly loud guests in close proximity. The staff are friendly, the wildlife (bears) have been known to visit your cabin...one on my porch last time I was there. (Many places to stay, I just love this location and haven't had a bad cabin experience yet....I am not connected to them in anyway, just a pleased customer).

Things to do: So many! Cades Cove & Dollywood of course, but it also depends on time of year you plan to visit. River rafting, Ober Gatlinburg ice skating and luge rides, stroll thru Anakeesta in Gatlinburg and walk thru the tree top rope bridge trails. Guided Horseback riding in Cades Cove, plan an early trip and be bathing suit ready for there are places to pull off on the way to the cove where you can play in the water (careful - no life guards and plenty of slippery rocks but its a fun experience).

We went two summers ago and had a great time. We booked a cabin through Heaven’s Cabins. It was at the perfect location, overlooking Gatlinburg and a short trip to town, but still in the mountains.

We are not too into the touristy stuff, but we did ride a mountain coaster in Pigeon Forge and play mini-golf at Hillbilly Golf. So fun! One of our favorite things was tubing in Townsend with River Rat Tubing. The rest of our trip was spent in the national park. We hiked Alum Cave Trail (my favorite - absolutely beautiful), Laurel Falls, Clingman’s Dome, Grotto Falls. We also drove through Roaring Forks several times. We packed our lunches everyday and ate in the park. Our favorite picnic spot was Chimney Tops.

Have a great time!

Is there a message board that is currant for that area? Looking at going end of April and I have some questions about which horseback riding barn to use. Thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions - I’m starting a list! We are going in July. Will it be too hot to hike - we are northerners lol?
Any great places to eat you can recommend?

Thanks for all your suggestions - I’m starting a list! We are going in July. Will it be too hot to hike - we are northerners lol?
Any great places to eat you can recommend?

We've stayed in the area 6-7 times and ALWAYS eat at one of the Apple Barn restaurants. There is one on each end of the complex, equally delicious with mostly the same offerings but one also caters to grill items. Last trip, we also liked Five Oaks Farm Kitchen across from the outlets. Mel's Diner behind Publix is a hidden gem. Be sure it's Mel's, not the huge diner on the corner of the same street. If you are really out on the edges of Gatlinburg, Old Dad's is a quick shop with breakfast and sandwiches and we love it. We also tried Paula Deen's restaurant last year at breakfast, just to say we did; half was fantastic and the other half was mediocre. Be aware many places serve family style or massive portions. When you pay $18 or $23 at The Old Mill, you are easily getting enough food for 2 adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!