Gastric Bypass

poppop

Mouseketeer
We are planning to go to WDW the last week of September. I have undergone a Gastric Bypass and can only eat a very small amount of food. I am concerned about going to the character meals and buffets with my family. I would not want to pay such a large amount for just a few bites of food. Does anyone know if they make accomadations for individuals in this condition.

Congratulations on your surgery. Mine was 4/3/03 and I've lost 72 pounds. We're planning our trip for October 7-14 and this was a concern of mine as well. From my research, I've decided not to expect Disney to make special concessions for my small appetite. The buffets are definately a huge waste of money and we won't go to any. At the sit down and counter service places, I plan to either order off the child's menu (if there's an acceptable choice), order an appetizer (again, if there's something appropriate), or split an adult entree with my DS3 and DS1.

Although, I understand you can attend a character meal and NOT eat anything. In that case you would pay only a modest "entertainment fee" to cover the cost of your interaction with the characters. I haven't yet tried this as its not quite time to make my PS.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know how your experience turns out. You can PM me after your trip if you like.

Yes, they do.

Congrats! They will let those of us who have had it done pay the childs price for the buffets. In fact you can have them note it on your ps'd and then let your server know when you sit down.
Do you have your little card from your dr? (just in case they want to see it)

I too have had gastric bypass surgery. I had mine on 6/5/02 and have lost around 120 lbs. Thanks for the info about the buffets and asking to get charged as a child. We are doing Crystal Palace lunch just b/c my fiance loves the characters and this way we can interact and eat and relax. (of course this new PS rule is not very relaxing but oh well :rolleyes:) It makes him happy, so it's very small price to pay in my book. Honestly, I was just going to pay the full amount and deal with it.
My mother had her surgery on 1/4/03 and was at WDW at the end of March. She had to get over her fear of sending things back to the kitchen, but after that, she dealt with it.
I wish you all the best of luck!
Write to me if you would like to!
Maggie
TDC Skyway Waver
81 days left!

Kudos to you for your decision to get healthy. Enjoy your WDW trip.

Wow, that's great that Disney is so accomodating!!! I have a friend that had gastric bypass surgery and he has lost so much weight and is so much healthier now.

Do you get hungry in the same way after having the surgery? I have always wondered that. After all the weight he has lost I have always been jealous that he gets full on such a small amount of food while my stomach is like a bottomless pit!!!

Have fun on your trip!!

My mother had her surgery about 2 years before my WDW wedding. This was her first "Thin Disney" as we were calling it. She had a great time - being able to bop all over the place. Her big thing was the turnstiles. She always had to go through sideways to squeeze through. We have a picture of her just walking through the turnstiles!

Anyway...she didn't have a problem at all. She ordered an appetizer. She nibbled and tasted off of our plates. She paid full price for the few buffets we went to, but she was able to get a little bit of everything. She would take a break and then try a few more things. She had popcorn and tastes of our snacks. Of course, she was 2 years out, so she was eating more than she did at the beginning. She had a great time. She didn't feel like she missed out on anything - even though there were 18 other people there stuffing themselves like the food was going out of style! Most of all, she was healthy and able to walk and enjoy WDW.

Congrats on your success and have a wonderful trip to Disney World!

I had LAP RNY on April 24, 2002. I've lost 135 pounds and have gone from a size 28/30 to a size 8/10. I feel wonderful and only have 20 more pounds to lose to get to my personal goal. I've been to Disney twice since surgery and have found ALL of the restaurants very accomodating. When I'm making PS for buffets I just let them know that I had "stomach reduction surgery" and that I can only eat 3 oz at a time and that I would like to be charged as a child. I also let them know that I have a card from my surgeon stating my stomach limitations that I would be happy to show if needed. I've gone to several buffets and have been charged the child's price and have never had any problems. I even offered to show them the card and they have never asked for it. For me, it's not a matter of money...it's a matter of principle. If I eat less than my 5yo why should I pay more just because I'm not a child?

I am so glad someone asked this question. I am waiting for insurance approval and hope to have surgery within the next 4 to 6 weeks. Our trip is planned for Feb 2004 and I hope to be very close to my goal weight by then. I will have to notify CM when making my PS, correct? Thanks again.

Sherri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!