Galaxy's Edge Performance and Evolution Discussion

@yulilin3 thank you for making it clear that I probably did not hallucinate seeing a plush jedi mickey at one point in time...

I do have a question for the hive mind here...as far as the evolution of the land is concerned. If it's set between 8 and 9, at what point will that setting be "outdated"? Will I feel like a time traveler next summer? Or is that a 64 million dollar question we won't know the answer to until both ROTR is open and Rise of Skywalker is released?

Having no inside information I believe the timeline is set by LucasFilm and not Disney.
LucasFilm has the final say for anything SW-related in the parks and DCL.

While DD was a Padawan at JTA, all managers and CMs were trained according to LucasFilm guidelines and that continues under Kathleen Kennedy.

The good thing about LucasFilm management is that they are open to suggested changes. DD, as a performer, suggested procedural changes for JTA to run more efficiently and safely and those procedures remain in place today.

LucasFilm listened when kids were passing out onstage due to the new JTA-JTT running too long and the show was shortened and reformatted.

So, I believe there is hope for improvement in SWGE but it won’t occur until RotR opens in both parks and all Management involved can agree on changes. Character and timeline integrity will still be the main factors.

@yulilin3 thank you for making it clear that I probably did not hallucinate seeing a plush jedi mickey at one point in time...

I do have a question for the hive mind here...as far as the evolution of the land is concerned. If it's set between 8 and 9, at what point will that setting be "outdated"? Will I feel like a time traveler next summer? Or is that a 64 million dollar question we won't know the answer to until both ROTR is open and Rise of Skywalker is released?
I asked my DD just this. When I saw the trailer where Poe and Finn are running inside the Star Destroyer, I was like "man that looks a lot like the pics we have from RotR." So I asked my DD what has been said in the aspect that after the movie comes out Dec 9th the land will be frozen in time.
She said that at the moment the storyline is the same. Batuu along with BSO has been there for thousands of years and only a couple of weeks ago the Resistance showed up, in the form of Vi Moradi, followed days later by the First Order. So for now, no changes in the storyline.
We could argue that all of the lands everywhere in WDW and DL are frozen in time obviously, Fantaslyand, Frontierland, Adventureland, even Pandora. Of course none of those lands has a movie that plays so closely to what they are trying to convey.

I'm mostly impressed this thread has drawn 4 moderators! It is pretty rare on the DISboards.

I'd like to keep this thread on topic, perhaps another thread would be fun for exploring the above topic? (How does level of WDW experience impact our perception of WDW's innovations?)

I dunno, I’m a DISBoards poster 99% of the time and mod 1%. I don’t share the same knowledge level or passion as some of the regular SWGE posters around the sub-forum and thought I had something interesting to add to the discussion from a non-SW WDW traveler. Probably should have followed my first instinct and just moved along, but then that’s not all that fun either.

Discussing why folks of any pro or anti opinion/mindset seem to draw criticism and why we can’t just discuss things would be an interesting topic for another thread. Or maybe somewhere other than the DIS! 8-)

But anyway, onward... until we meet on the CL thread. ;)

I think watching the original announcement might be important for this thread, to see what they did do and what they haven't done yet

Not done yet: diverse population of humans, humanoids, aliens and droids-sit down restaurant
Done: largest single themed land- transport guest to a brand new planet-2 attractions-guest becoming immersed in a physical SW world, nothing is out of character

I liked your input @GADisneyDad14 so I'm glad you opened Pandora's Box. (I hope your son recovered from his interrogation!)

Lol - thanks! It’s still too funny. We’ll be back soon - I’ll be keeping an eye on how he reacts whenever the stormtroopers go by. If he continues to hide, I might have a problem on my hands. :-)

Switching gears on the topic of land performance/evolution just to try to keep things rolling - I’m sure it’s a given and it’s been said by many, but one thing I’ve always been struck by is just how big the land is.

Pandora is great, but it’s pretty small for any other “programming” other than what you already have in the land. Same with TSL - not much else will ever go on there, other than the new restaurant addition. There’s just no space.

SWGE seems ripe for lots of future growth as there’s plenty of space all over. Maybe I’m just naive, but I’m pretty confident that Disney will program the space appropriately over time as things evolve to enhance the guest experience. Of course, if they deem it necessary.

I think some of what is going here is a lot of confirmation bias. If SWGE is "under performing" and I went and I didn't like it, then it is definitely under performing because of all of the reasons why I didn't like it.

If I went and I did like it, then it's probably not under performing at all because if I liked it then most people probably do too so how could that happen?

What I don't understand is why it's such an all or nothing thing? I haven't been, but some parts sound great and some things I question a bit, though I think I'll still have a good time. Our individual perceptions though likely have very little to do with actual performance.

Last edited:
I think some of what is going here is a lot of confirmation bias. If SWGE is "under performing" and I went and I didn't like it, then it is definitely under performing because of all of the reasons why I didn't like it.

If I went and I did like it, then it's probably not under performing at all because if I liked it then most people probably do too so how could that happen?

What I don't understand is why it's such an all or nothing thing? I haven't been, but some parts sound great and some things I question a bit, though I think I'll still have a good time. Our individual perceptions though likely have very little to do with actual performance.

This 1000X!

Lol - thanks! It’s still too funny. We’ll be back soon - I’ll be keeping an eye on how he reacts whenever the stormtroopers go by. If he continues to hide, I might have a problem on my hands. :-)

Switching gears on the topic of land performance/evolution just to try to keep things rolling - I’m sure it’s a given and it’s been said by many, but one thing I’ve always been struck by is just how big the land is.

Pandora is great, but it’s pretty small for any other “programming” other than what you already have in the land. Same with TSL - not much else will ever go on there, other than the new restaurant addition. There’s just no space.

SWGE seems ripe for lots of future growth as there’s plenty of space all over. Maybe I’m just naive, but I’m pretty confident that Disney will program the space appropriately over time as things evolve to enhance the guest experience. Of course, if they deem it necessary.

It does feel very big. I wasn’t super researched beforehand, but there was a lot more separate areas to it than I was expecting. I kept getting lost and ending up somewhere new trying to find the exit to TSL lol.

I think there it truth to this - but also what I find interesting to discuss because at the end of the day, even if a portion of the population absolutely loves GE as is, if it isn't making the $ Disney wants and they are getting negative feedback from people they will change it (and I think that is why the changing of the food names to be Earth words set off a number of this as it was Disney changing something already) ... and so I am wondering why do they feel they need to change it, or, more precisely, what do they feel they need to change and why those elements.

And is it that what is there is great but just doesn't appeal to the avergae guest or is it no Star Warsy enough so you aren't pulling in the true Star Wars fans? (obviously generalizing here). Disney obviously had a plan with this land and is that plan working (and working for them as a corporation) and if not, why?

[QUOTE="GADisneyDad14, post: 61217697, member: 522402"Discussing why folks of any pro or anti opinion/mindset seem to draw criticism and why we can’t just discuss things would be an interesting topic for another thread. Or maybe somewhere other than the DIS! 8-)

But anyway, onward... until we meet on the CL thread. ;)
[/QUOTE]

That isn't what I said at.all, but no matter.

Somehow everything I post in this thread gets attacked. Which is kinda funny because when I shared my experience of visiting the new SW, my review was -SUPRISE -mostly positive!

If you go back through every post I made in this thread, the worst thing I said was that the land could be even better.

I have always believed every part.of WDW has the potential to be better. That was the original dream of WDW, no?

I think entertainment even not experiencing the land yet is certainly an issue. Even just more stormtroopers patrolling or some "activity" on the bridges above would help.

Aside from having both rides running which is obvious and I think will help the perception of the land immensely, the above is exactly IMO what it needs.

I don’t think it’s lacking in formal shows, nor do I want yet another thing that needs to be fit into a schedule, but in the spontaneous appearance and/or interaction with stormtroopers or Batuu inhabitants (is it correct to call them aliens?). It‘s so simple, but would go so far in helping the land feel authentic. So much more meaningful than giving money and bathrooms different names. Whenever we saw a character roaming around the land or doing something (like Chewy and the ship) they grabbed the attention of nearly everyone in the area.

I think you post has much merit.

Except, every poster in this thread has actually said mostly positive things about the new SW land. They came here to say, these are the few things that could be better.

For myself, I went back in August when the and was brand new. (My original review was in the prior thread). I said overall, the land is great, but it needs a few tweaks.

And SURPRISE! WDW has made a few tweaks to the new land since August!

Generally, that is how WDW works. They revise! And that is good! It is good WDW is adding new attractions.

Since it was so long ago....my impression that the land didnt open as busy as planned was based on things I saw opening day, like PILES of unsold.Opening Day merchandise. And PILES of leftover special opening day park maps. And multiple CM conversations.

There just was no line in the Docking Bay that day.

I did NOT expect to the Chewie greet to be a walk up on SW opening day, and neither did the CMs on staff that day.

We were mutually surprised.

I hope the land does succeed, and I hope they continue to.make adjustments to the benefit of all.

We loved the SW restroom theming. I dont talk about bathrooms.much, but that is something WDW often does very well.

The ones outside Sanaa are gorgeous!

The ones near FoP and the Pandora QS are also pretty.

I think sometimes restroom decor is underutilized. Many businesses suffer from nasty restrooms. They say.much about how a business is run.

Generally, WDW gets stong.marks for nice restrooms, especially when they accommodate guests with disabilities and small kids. Love WDW's kid sinks.

With GE, just like anything new, there are gonna be haters as well as people who love whatever is new. Remember when fpp and magic bands came out and that whole uproar? LOTS of haters. I didn’t think I would like either fpp or magic bands. And you know what? I tried them, was afraid of something new, got used to them, and like them both now. I think with GE and the innovative way of immersing yourself in a land is something new that people don’t understand, but eventually will come to enjoy.... only time will tell....

I think you post has much merit.

Except, every poster in this thread has actually said mostly positive things about the new SW land. They came here to say, these are the few things that could be better.

No, you're right - I wasn't basing my point entirely on this thread, which I did not read all of. But in general, with SWGE and those talking about it, I think a lot of people who don't like it assume they know for certain why it hasn't been the draw it was expected to be.

So in terms of evolution... IMO those new food names that just came out (see the food sticky) are a really good balance for fans/theming/immersion and dumb theme park visitors like myself. Just enough theming to make it appropriate for the land, but with enough basic description in the name of the dish to make it easy to order quickly/efficiently for people not well-versed in the offerings.

Solid move from my perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter