Galaxy's Edge Performance and Evolution Discussion

Small sample size. Thousands visit the parks every day and millions within a year. There are always going to be people who love, like, meh, or hate attractions no matter what it is. Only Disney has the mass data.

You are right.

Why bother to read these boards if the sample is too small to matter?

Sample size would be a good discussion for another thread perhaps; it is not the subject of this thread.

I agree we don't have Disney's data, only what people post here. Still, I tend to think they are a representative sample.

You are right.

Why bother to read these boards if the sample is too small to matter?

Sample size would be a good discussion for another thread perhaps; it is not the subject of this thread.

I agree we don't have Disney's data, only what people post here. Still, I tend to think they are a representative sample.
Yes and no. It’s sort of an apples to oranges approach. Yes clearly there are some issues at hand with SWGE and the falcon attraction but I don’t think you can compare it to satisfaction of slinky either. Both are completely different things and have two different target audiences.

I've been thinking more about perceived failure/dashed expectations, whatever you want to call it.

The original trilogy has had 40 something years to percolate in peoples minds about what star wars is or isn't.....Harry Potter DID NOT have that generational uphill battle. Whereas that other star franchise has had it at least 2 to 3 times if not more (disclaimer, while I'm a casual SW fan I'm a "yes i own blueprint/schematics of the ships of the fleet" star trek fan).

I just want it to be July so I can drink all the colored milk and get a fuzzy tauntaun, sorta fly the falcon and join the resistance....and explain to my toddler that star wars is for all not just her. Seriously when I had the Rise of Skywalker trailer on, she literally gave a stink eye and said "MY STAR WARS"

Couldn't you spin this another way though? Star Wars is by far the bigger franchise, it has more generational draw, from my parent's generation who were teenagers awed by the special effects when it debuted in the 70s, down to your toddler who can watch lego Star Wars or whatever starts the kids off these days. When I was a child I knew of the Star Wars plots through Muppet Baby episodes. I don't think Harry Potter has reached that level of permeation through the culture yet. Star Wars arguably has more fans, casual and otherwise, than anything else in American culture. I'm a fellow trekkie myself! If a Star Trek ride is built, I hope Universal gets to do it.

I also remember thinking that recreating the feeling of traveling to Hogwarts would be impossible to recreate in a theme park setting. Disney bid ideas in for the rights and JK Rowling rejected them, because they weren't willing to take the themeing as far as she envisioned. They didn't think what Universal built was possible, or possible and profitable. It's obviously a given now that the Wizarding World lends itself very well to a theme park setting, but that was far from a given at the time. Don't sell Universal short on what they accomplished-- everything from walking up to the castle, integrating the shops and restaurants, and making this place feel authentic to fans. I don't think it was the easy task everyone is making it out to be now.

The thread again, has gone way beyond the original topic, please re- read the first post. All off topic replies will be deleted, just trying to keep the original point alive

They didnt build what I would have built...therefore fail.

That about sum it up?

And all this nonsense about character connection...'splain Pandora me?? Can anyone name a single character in that film? Yet they gave it a whole land and a barftastic ride that everyone thinks is the greatest.

Nobody is ever happy no matter what Disney creates.

Except me. I'm happy. Love Galaxy's Edge and I look forward to whatever they have planned in the future.

I agree with your first statement - that is the trap many fans fall into.

I am an Avatar fan however and I can name all of the characters from the film - none of which are in the land because it takes place generations later. I still like FOP though. I do think they made some missteps there too, like trying to be so immersive that signs are low-key - sometimes that can just be annoying!

Now that we’ve been I feel like I can better contribute to these discussions. Keep in mind I’m an extremely casual fan at best. I think I’ve seen all the movies, hazy on 2+3, I may have snoozed lol.

I think perception wise (not crowd control wise) Disney made an error opening it without ROTR to really wow people. The land itself is really cool and it was fascinating that the rest of DHS just disappears once you’re in there. Loved the roaming characters, and if I could point to one thing it needs more of its those guys. More storm troopers, lots of generic characters running around, anything of that nature. It does feel like at the moment it’s a lot of money spending opportunities and not a lot more.

MFSR is just meh, but compared to Navi I think it holds its own. On that note, as someone who is not quite a fan, I find myself feeling similarly about SWGE as Pandora. They’re quite similar in their immersiveness, and IMO in their need to know the back story. I have no idea who that guy on stilts is in Pandora but he adds a little something to the land.

So that’s what I think will really help perception, it being fully functioning and more entertainment CMs. I’m less concerned with the CMs working the registers using the right lingo, I want to see more roaming characters even if nobody knows who the heck they are.

I am an Avatar fan however and I can name all of the characters from the film - none of which are in the land because it takes place generations later.

oh now THATS interesting. I don't know much about Pandora as my one and only time in Walt Disney World was back in 1992.

So Pandora is set AFTER the film, yet is loved and has been used as a comparison to Batuu, but people have issues with Batuu being set after The Last Jedi, many years after the OG trilogy

:confused3 :badpc:

Don't sell Universal short on what they accomplished-- everything from walking up to the castle, integrating the shops and restaurants, and making this place feel authentic to fans. I don't think it was the easy task everyone is making it out to be now.

You left off the wand experience. :-)

The things that makes Slinky DD POP-in my mind- are the part where we go backwards for the launch, and the singing at the end.

IMO, the thing that made HP POP, is the ability to wave a wand and have magic happen. THAT is th thing that puts people into the story.

Perhaps when the SW story is more developed, it will have more POP. Putting guests into the story is noble, but we have to feel the impact of our actions.

And, because that is so new, it should start with explaining the directions. HP has Olivanders, and roaming cast members explaining the spells.

If everyone is supposed to be part of the SW story, then we probably need more CM's helping us.

oh now THATS interesting. I don't know much about Pandora as my one and only time in Walt Disney World was back in 1992.

So Pandora is set AFTER the film, yet is loved and has been used as a comparison to Batuu, but people have issues with Batuu being set after The Last Jedi, many years after the OG trilogy

It's a matter of the ride itself. FoP by many is considered the best attraction at WDW, as the regular Disney guest is more focused on the attraction, the backstory of the land falls on the side.

Yes, Pandora: The World of Avatar at Animal Kingdom is set several generations after the conflict as depicted in the film. In that time, the old RDA bases have been taken over by the Pandora Conservation Initiative and A.C.E. - Alpha Centauri Expeditions - a company that provides eco-tourism. There is a new scientist who resurrected the Avatar Program to further study and provide cultural exchange with the Na'vi. Everything is now 100% peaceful and only relics of the war remain.

Aaaanyway...

@DGsAtBLT I do question the decision to have a staggered opening at times. Part of me gets it, 90% was ready to go, so why wait. The other part of me wonders if a casual fan or non-fan would appreciate the land more with ROTR being up and running. Like does it provide more to the story?

I know this is comparing apples to alligators, but it didn't bother me that New Fantasyland was a phased opening...well except for the fact Dumbo was moved. So it's not like this is the first time something has opened in phases....

@DGsAtBLT I do question the decision to have a staggered opening at times. Part of me gets it, 90% was ready to go, so why wait. The other part of me wonders if a casual fan or non-fan would appreciate the land more with ROTR being up and running. Like does it provide more to the story?

I know this is comparing apples to alligators, but it didn't bother me that New Fantasyland was a phased opening...well except for the fact Dumbo was moved. So it's not like this is the first time something has opened in phases....

Even though it’s been brought up so often I think comparing it to Pandora opening without FoP is fair. FoP no doubt carries that land, even though it’s really immersive and cool looking. My guess is ROTR will be similar. Pandora would have been a massive failure if it was just Navi, a really good QS, and the opportunity to spend $$$ on a shoulder banshee. We visited NFL the first time right before 7DMT opened. I agree with you, it felt different. I think it’s because that felt more like an extension rather than a new land, so since FL itself was already operating it didn’t feel like an incomplete opening.

I think the difference between Pandora and GE is Disney really did think being Star Wars would be enough. I don’t think the land has brought in people who wouldn’t already be visiting Disney parks in the numbers everybody thought it would. I am really interested to see what goes on with the hotel.

My wife and I are lifelong Disney fans first and Star Wars Fans second. For $40 we got more Star Wars enjoyment at the Orlando Convention Center, compaired to what is being offered at GE. I would like to post a few photos to show what fans did with no money, compared to what Disney is offering at their Billion dollar land. My goal is to make people think about what Star Wars Land could be and what is missing. Maybe Disney will learn something from a few photos? If nothing else it is a reminder of how great Star Wars is beyond the new films.

This is what I hope they aspire to get too.

There's just not enough in the land. How many times have we heard "but the land will be the third attraction"........

And I find it sad that your very well thought out posts are met with "well complain to Disney and stop sharing on a Disney web board where we ask for your opinion"....

I want to add, I strongly disagree with those who point to the low wait times as failure. I can only assume that land, even with only one attraction at the moment, is fantastic at handling crowds. I said multiple times to DH that outside GE it felt much more crowded than inside, and how wonderful it is to move through a line so efficiently without FP+ holding it up.

Was the Anna and Elsa meet in Epcot a success because it regularly had 3-5 hour waits? Of course not! Those ridiculous lines made the news IIRC. Did it fail when they built the proper meet and greet lowering the waits to what 20-30 minutes? Again, no! Wait times alone don’t mean anything.

This is what I hope they aspire to get too.

There's just not enough in the land. How many times have we heard "but the land will be the third attraction"........

And I find it sad that your very well thought out posts are met with "well complain to Disney and stop sharing on a Disney web board where we ask for your opinion"....
Since I was the one that suggested the poster to share his/ her thoughts with Disney I will say it is the ONLY way to get your point across. You can come here and share and complain and rave all you want but, to be heard but Disney you have to contact Disney

Since I was the one that suggested the poster to share his/ her thoughts with Disney I will say it is the ONLY way to get your point across. You can come here and share and complain and rave all you want but, to be heard but Disney you have to contact Disney

I think this is a given. We could respond to 76% of all posts on this board with this. Even the compliments. “Tell Disney you like it.” I just don’t see how it relates to discussion on a discussion board...

I think this is a given. We could respond to 76% of all posts on this board with this. Even the compliments. “Tell Disney you like it.” I just don’t see how it relates to discussion on a discussion board...
You would be surprised the amount of people that think Disney reads these boards. Furthermore these boards are easy to come to and chat/complain/rave/compliment. But not everyone that has strong feelings about something reaches out to Disney for actual action

I was thinking about all of the comments about it being weird that Galaxy's Edge was a new planet and not one of the lands we were already familiar with. But I think that's one of the thing's that's exciting to me. Each Star Wars movie introduces a new planet/land and that's part of the joy of it for me. There's Tatooine in episode 4 but then you see Hoth in Episode 5 and the forest moon of Endor in Episode 6. They continue that exploration in the prequel series and the universe grows with every movie. That's one of the things I loved about the Clone Wars series, how much it expanded the universe. So I feel like the anticipation of exploring a new planet is very much in the spirit of Star Wars and makes me even more excited for Galaxy's Edge :)

You would be surprised the amount of people that think Disney reads these boards. Furthermore these boards are easy to come to and chat/complain/rave/compliment. But not everyone that has strong feelings about something reaches out to Disney for actual action
Disney does monitor these boards but more or less for leaks, and just general things. They aren’t reading in depth. I know this for a fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter