FYI: More Cuts Coming

andyman8

DIS Veteran and WDW Passholder
Because of budget overruns with Shanghai Disney, domestic Disney Parks are going to see some cuts, especially in the labor department. Gone will be curbside greeters at the resorts and staffing will be reduced for a variety of other roles, like attractions and custodial.

Also, entertainment staffs will see some thinning in addition to only one Fantasmic! performance per night until Easter week. MSEP may also be running once per night through the end of March, despite the heavy crowds expected for spring break and Easter. These are still rumors but the changes seem to be reflected on the TA park hours calendars. This would also explain the surprising number of character greetings that have been axed since the start of the year.

Seems like they always run in to these types of situations when opening new international parks... Thoughts?

SOURCE: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/02/break...ncial-strangle-hold-on-domestic-disney-parks/

Wow.

Just wow.

Tell me about it. I know the September calendar was just released and will likely change, but as it stands now there is NO nighttime entertainment at MK...unless, I assume, we want to fork over the extra $$ for MNSSHP.

On the upside, at least we don't have to worry about getting out of dinner in time for MSEP or Wishes...:rolleyes2

I feel badly for the employees and this bothers me more than other issues because having enough employees is crucial to the trip being magical or not. Long wait at checkin, not magical. Trashcans full, not magical. And so on. :( The best moments I've had at Disney were always because of a CM.

Stinks for those traveling in the next couple months, but it seems like things will return to normal after that. Park hours were recently extended for our trip in May.

Stinks for those traveling in the next couple months, but it seems like things will return to normal after that. Park hours were recently extended for our trip in May.

Park hours being extended from those posted 6 months in advance happens every single month of the year.
Has been that way for years.

I just read look for ticket price increases next week. Luckily I had an annual pass voucher purchased before the October increase that I activated in December. I'm covered for my 2 trips this year.

The corporation as a whole is profitable. The parks are run as a company within a company. I'm not sure why the parks in Asia or Europe are lumped in with the parks in America - significantly different economic engines - but it is what it is.

Sadly, until visitor numbers drop they will keep cutting and cutting

I'm sure the parks and the studio divisions are separate, with separate budgets. I don't think you can take from one to pay for the other!

I feel bad for the people who will lose hours/jobs.

(although this will annoy everyone, but we have never had curbside check in before 2014, so I wouldn't even notice that was gone...)

Some of us have been keeping track of these things for just a few years.

Back when Michael Eisner took the company reigns, he noted that the movies were doing poorly, but the theme parks were strong,
so he changed the emphasis (and pricing) so that the Disney Co. could realize the profits from their more power assets, while the reworking of the films aspect was underway.

Some of us have been keeping track of these things for just a few years.

Back when Michael Eisner took the company reigns, he noted that the movies were doing poorly, but the theme parks were strong,
so he changed the emphasis (and pricing) so that the Disney Co. could realize the profits from their more power assets, while the reworking of the films was underway.

Sorry I didn't keep track.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter