Future runDisney Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being old enough to be a card carrying member of AARP finally paid off for me. I will get my first shot tomorrow, for which I am very grateful! Being vaccinated I feel comfortable attending MW and very much hope it happens.

I also hope all your turns for the vaccine come sooner than later.

Congrats. I'll be eligible on the 22nd. I've taken to stalking Riteaid availability via vaxxmax, just to see how far out they are scheduling. It's annoying that in SE MI, the system is so localized and a "push" system.....you have to get the vaccine through the county, or the hospital system, or even Meijer, but it's "Don't call us, we'll call you when it's your turn and we have any vaccine......someday, maybe." Rite-aid is about the only place you can proactively schedule an appointment (if eligible). I don't have high hopes of getting one in the near future. I am at the point of being jealous/annoyed/disappointed every time I hear of another person getting vaccinated. I know it's petty, especially since I am really a low risk person, and logic tells me I should be waiting til others who need it more get it first.

......Mildly OT rant over....

Last edited:
I honestly would be surprised if they do the Wine and Dine in person for 2021.

Disney is not removing the facemask policy through 2021. I know that doesn't necessarily mean no races. But to me, the RunDisney segment is an additional business to the overall Parks business segment. It involves a ton of logistics. Sure, other races are happening, but most of those are ran by local organizations, whose sole purpose is to run those events.

If they somehow by a miracle do the 2021 Wine and Dine. There for sure will not be characters, the corrals would be drastically different, volunteers would be interesting, and there for sure would be a cap on the amount of people that could participate.

I'd think we'd be lucky to get some sort of form of Marathon Weekend, maybe Princess.

I really think there may be some form of reset to the normal way of runDisney events when things come back.

I do not think there is any chance for races in 2021.
I am thinking they will do 2022.
I am putting literal money down that they are doing the Princess Race 2022 (in the process of buying a resale dvc and going to use my points on it as much first dvc vacation.)
I would love them to require vaccinations for everyone accept real medical exemptions. We already have to do PoT. We can just take a picture of our card and submit it in... Now will there be cheating with that yeah... but it will at least reduces the number of people not vaccinated in the race and therefore reduce the likely of spread.
They are getting these vaccines out fast now... I am a SS teacher,I just had my 2nd shot on Monday. So I am good to go! So I am really thinking with most adults having vaccines by the start of the fall we should be good for 2022.

I was talking to my wife - We want to race again, and we want to visit WDW again. It has been 3 years since we last entered a WDW park other than in races. We were taking a parks break, and then along came Covid.

But when we come back we need the parks to be completely open. I don't care about wearing mask - we have become used to them - but I want shows and fireworks and restaurants. And I want my annual pass.

I am not sure that my wife will agree to return for a race until all of those things are back. Hopefully in 2022 at some point.

I don’t think mask requirements in the parks are relevant to the racing situation. People seem to forget that both proximity and time are required for transmission. The rough standard that has been established is within 6’ for 10-15 minutes. That’s very relevant to park guests standing in ride or shopping queues. It’s not relevant to a runner following a roped off, dedicated path through a park during a race where the likelihood of being within 6’ of a park guest is low to begin with and the time within that 6’ distance is transient, probably no more than a few seconds. Masks for runners going through the parks would serve no useful purpose for transmission prevention.

I'm aware of how COVID is transmitted and I got pretty good pre-vaccination at getting in and out of COVID patient rooms as quick as possible "before I could catch it". My point was less about actual risk of transmission with racing and more that I think having a "double standard" for runners causes a potential headache for Disney as they try to strictly enforce their mask policy for non-runners. They've been very strict in enforcing their policies which are pretty conservative and haven't shown leniency for younger kids, those with sensory issues/disabilities/etc. By being strict and not allowing exceptions, it's easier to enforce the policy. A slew of maskless runners make that more difficult when they can be pointed to as an example and IMO, Disney won't want that to be an issue. A 5k and 10k can probably be done fairly easily where runners and guests never interact but a half would be more challenging and a full would be almost impossible without major changes to the course/park hours.

I think Wine and Dine has a better chance of happening than the NYC marathon. If Wine and Dine does happen it will be a different look race, a much smaller field size, no characters as mentioned. I am not sure how they will give it that Disney magic that makes these races so amazing.

I was talking to my wife - We want to race again, and we want to visit WDW again. It has been 3 years since we last entered a WDW park other than in races. We were taking a parks break, and then along came Covid.

But when we come back we need the parks to be completely open. I don't care about wearing mask - we have become used to them - but I want shows and fireworks and restaurants. And I want my annual pass.

I am not sure that my wife will agree to return for a race until all of those things are back. Hopefully in 2022 at some point.

I'm with you. I am not going to pay Disney prices for a watered down experience. I'm going to hold off until the parks are back to having all their shows, character greetings and meals, etc. We are planning a family trip for this summer to visit relatives in FL and we would normally add a park day or two. Instead we may hit a resort of Disney Springs but we aren't going to the parks.

My son just grew out of his race shirt from his first kids race so of course we will need to have him do another one and get a new shirt.

@BikeFan i am with you. @camaker with you too. I can't control what others do from a vaccination perspective or showing up sick. I can get vaccinated. I am ok racing if i have been fully vaccinated. At least it protects me. Now until I am vaccinated i am not sure i can race. The pics i have seen of in person races (atlanta half) did not make me feel so good about spacing.

My concern is vaccination is not going nearly as fast as i would like. I know i have said it other posts, but i still can't get my parents a vaccine appointment. They are 79 and 83. Yet in GA they are allowing more people to get the vaccine. In fact i am starting to think i will get the vaccine before my folks as i won't turn it down if offered to me. i am just sad i can't get my elderly parents a vaccine first.
Being “old,” I have been fully vaccinated and now volunteer two mornings a week at our county vaccination clinic, giving out and taking up forms, copying ID’s, wiping down clipboards and pens, etc. We had three people drive to Hartwell from Buford this morning to be vaccinated, because they could get an appointment here. And someone else got a walk-in appointment. I don’t know how far you are willing to drive for a vaccine for your parents, but I may be able to get an appointment for the Moderna vaccine for them M-W next week or M-Th the week after. (Next TH they will be at our schools vaccinating teachers.) Within the next two weeks we may be getting supplies of J&J, so I don’t know how that will change things. The one-dose thing appeals to lots of people. There may or may not be a choice. And if you say you are their caretaker, you are eligible, too! Tried to message this to you, but kept getting error

thanks @Disney at Heart we are leaving Sat to go to Ohio. i have to do FIL's taxes. I am going to see how far the drive is to Hartwell. It may be pretty far. I am hoping that J&J will help. I mean at least it will add more supply. Will keep you posted and thanks for the offer.

I will be fully vaccinated (waiting on the 2nd dose) by the end of the month. It’s really looking promising that we should be drowning in vaccine by the beginning of May. I have no problem with Disney requiring either proof of vaccination, or a signed waiver to participate and I’m still hoping for Wine & Dine this fall to kick off the start of the 50th anniversary. I would like to think that runDisney is getting all the logistics in order now. Fall 2021 seems to be when a lot of things are resuming (St. Anthony’s, the Philadelphia Marathon, and the Broad Street Run for example).

Over 100 million doses have been administered, and around 13.5% of adults have been fully vaccinated. The supply and disbursement is increasing by the day. By summer anyone who’ll want a vaccine will have been able to have gotten one. I get there are people with varying comfort levels, but any continued resistance to opening back up by then and resuming normal activities is relying on something other than realism at that point.

Over 100 million doses have been administered, and around 13.5% of adults have been fully vaccinated. The supply and disbursement is increasing by the day. By summer anyone who’ll want a vaccine will have been able to have gotten one. I get there are people with varying comfort levels, but any continued resistance to opening back up by then and resuming normal activities is relying on something other than realism at that point.
I agree - at some point we will open back up and let the chips fall where they may.

FWIW, the Israeli study shows that the unvaccinated are 22 times more likely to die from Covid than the vaccinated. 22 times. If that doesn't convince people, :confused3

This is all good news but keep in mind Disney is an international destination and the vaccine rates of many other countries will be taken into account, especially the 15 or 20 countries that send the most visitors to Disney. Keep an eye on the vaccination rate of places like Brazil.

This is all good news but keep in mind Disney is an international destination and the vaccine rates of many other countries will be taken into account, especially the 15 or 20 countries that send the most visitors to Disney. Keep an eye on the vaccination rate of places like Brazil.
I apologize if this comes off as harsh, but can’t RunDisney host races without international runners? If they need to or want to restrict registration, I think they’d still do fine. :confused3

I apologize if this comes off as harsh, but can’t RunDisney host races without international runners? If they need to or want to restrict registration, I think they’d still do fine. :confused3

How would they do that? Require a notarized copy of your home address as part of entry or registration? It’s one thing for them to restrict shipping of virtual medals to the US. I don’t see how you’d do something similar with entries.

They could try but it isn't just the runners that they need to take into account, it is all the other park guests as well.

How would they do that? Require a notarized copy of your home address as part of entry or registration? It’s one thing for them to restrict shipping of virtual medals to the US. I don’t see how you’d do something similar with entries.
I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure you need an address in your account and if someone wants to make one up just to get in, then that seems risky. Also, don’t you need billing info for payment?

But I doubt it would actually happen.

I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure you need an address in your account and if someone wants to make one up just to get in, then that seems risky. Also, don’t you need billing info for payment?

But I doubt it would actually happen.
You also have to present ID to pick up your bib. Many chances to police it. But I doubt they will go that route.

Wanted to share since I was whining and complaining. My folks got a vaccine appointment for Friday March 19. No idea which one just glad they are on the list now. Hoping my brother who lives with them also got one as caretaker. I will wait my turn but am a little more hopeful it will be sooner rather than later.

I agree the vaccination rates and personal decisions of others need to be taken into account. Which is why we should continue to have strict restrictions on international flights from poorly vaccinated countries, and restricted air travel for those who are COVID positive. In the meantime, once we hit a critical mass of adults who have done the responsible thing and vaccines are widely available, I don’t see why we need to deny people their ability to enjoy life any longer.

I’m not sure why Brazil continuing to be a hotspot means some runner who’s been vaccinated can’t run a race 9 months from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter