Future runDisney Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still want to see races return to DLR.
I feel like I read somewhere that law changes in California made it impractical for race organizers of for-profit entities to rely on “volunteers“ for managing their races. So, all the Disney employees that had volunteered now had to be paid their salary. That, and I feel they stopped around the time of various construction projects and tension with the Anaheim city council.

So many city races that don't control their own roads manage to do it so RunDisney could if they had the desire. A relay, and a night race for that matter, aren't a question of ability for RunDisney, both are a question of desire.
I think where the issues with logistics and executing a night race or relay lie is the large crowd of park going guests while the parks are open. Other road races do not have that aspect to deal with when planning and executing races. This is why the morning races start at such an insane time in the morning. Other road races start at 7:00 or 8:00 am, where Disney is starting hours earlier to try and avoid park going crowds as much as possible.

I think that was part of it, but if I recall, the transition for the relay was after you exited MK, before turning right on Bear Island Rd.. There may have been issues bussing a few thousand folks down to the transition area, having a place for all of them to transition in an organized fashion, taking into account different original starting times, paces, etc.. I think it could be done, but I also think it would be a big pita.

I think that was part of it, but if I recall, the transition for the relay was after you exited MK, before turning right on Bear Island Rd.. There may have been issues bussing a few thousand folks down to the transition area, having a place for all of them to transition in an organized fashion, taking into account different original starting times, paces, etc.. I think it could be done, but I also think it would be a big pita.
Honestly at this point, I will be so happy to just see these races return. I will do my best to accept and be excited about any new races or themes they choose. These races have provided me with amazing memories with both of my parents. My Dad cheered me on as I ran my first Marathon at WDW and my Mom cheered me on as I ran the Goofy Challenge for the first time in 2020. I'd really love to make more memories at these race events.

Yes, it was in the big parking lot south of the Polynesian. This is where the half ended back when the half and full were both run on Sunday (pre-Goofy).

Another big issue is this: Volunteers.

There are hundreds of people who volunteer to work these races. And its not just the people who work the jobs like handing out the snack boxes at the end of the race (me); many - if not all - the team leaders in charge of one of those smaller groups are volunteers too. And from my experience, the vast majority of the volunteers who work these race weekends are older, retired people which automatically puts them in the high-risk category. The possibility of exposure is simply unavoidable when you're put among tens and thousands of runners and many of these volunteers will decide to just not go work. Period.

So aside from optics and such, in my view, it will be very difficult for Disney to put together a race weekend if they can't get any of the volunteers to work it.

Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to the time when I can safely participate in in-person rD events again (including volunteering). 2022 maybe? :)

I'm feeling somewhat optimistic about MW 2022, with a lot of caveats: IF vaccinations pick up speed, and IF new COVID strains are handled by said vaccinations.

I think MW has the best shot at returning in general, with only minimal changes to character representation. All four races and two challenges? Maybe.

I have a feeling we may see a more simplified rD in the future, though. Fewer race weekends. Fewer races per weekend. Lower caps per race. More virtual options. Smaller, or nonexistent, expos. Fewer volunteers. Any one of those things, or perhaps some of several.

I really hope the races return to Disneyland as well. I heard there was some back and forth with local government, but I hope the change in execs and the need to drum up business will make all parties more open to the idea of the races again.

I feel like France is a lot more cautious about covid than Florida so I'm pushing more for 2022. Not to mention I have plans to attend the 50th if I can get vaccinated.

Last edited:
It’s hard to say for sure.

runDisney did say in their WDW Virtual Marathon Weekend video they hope to see us in person again soon.

I think we are looking at a full 2021 without races and a possible restart in 2022.
Fingers crossed for the marathon in 2022. I want to get back. I am looking at a half marathon race now to get a time. See lots on in person events happening spring and summer. So I am hopeful, even if on a smaller scale for the coming year.

Okay. Disneyland Paris run weekend 2021 (initially scheduled for "Fall 2021") is officially cancelled.

Okay. Disneyland Paris run weekend 2021 (initially scheduled for "Fall 2021") is officially cancelled.
Sad, but I figured it would be. International travel is still a ways away for a lot of people. That race weekend feeds on folks from some many different countries. I've gone each year, but didn't plan to go this year first because the WDW MK 50th is right after and then due to COVID. Hopefully next year things will be safer and better. I'm really looking forward to it. The medals, entertainment, and themes are among the best runDisney has offered in the past 5 years I think.

My favorite medal remains the steam punk Malificent medal with spinning gears.

I have a feeling we may see a more simplified rD in the future, though. Fewer race weekends. Fewer races per weekend. Lower caps per race. More virtual options. Smaller, or nonexistent, expos. Fewer volunteers. Any one of those things, or perhaps some of several.

I hope that's not the case. One of the biggest reasons I spend the money for runDisney events is because of the challenges. Multi-race weekends are huge fun and they're hard to find outside of rD events. I also love the big expos, character stops, courses, and other unique Disney features of the race weekends. If any of those things get reduced/"watered-down", I'm going to be a lot more reluctant to attend.

Fingers crossed for the marathon in 2022. I want to get back. I am looking at a half marathon race now to get a time. See lots on in person events happening spring and summer. So I am hopeful, even if on a smaller scale for the coming year.

I'm seeing some in-person events returning (or trying to) around me, but those are all small, local races. It'll be interesting to see when big (10K+ runners) events return. I'm not seeing anything big scheduled until the fall. If Berlin/Boston/Chicago and the like actually take place, then I think we'll see rD return. Fingers crossed...

Malificent medal
Hanging here right next to my desk! You're right about the different nationalities in Paris, but it might have been manageable with only runners staying onsite and quick testing done in the hotel before the races.
I've now booked the Vienna half marathon for September with my travel voucher for the cancelled DLP2020 weekend. Still hoping for the WDW marathon and DLP will happen in 2022, so I can get my Castle to Chateau bling bling.

I'm seeing some in-person events returning (or trying to) around me, but those are all small, local races. It'll be interesting to see when big (10K+ runners) events return. I'm not seeing anything big scheduled until the fall. If Berlin/Boston/Chicago and the like actually take place, then I think we'll see rD return. Fingers crossed...
I agree with the exception of the Indy Mini (half marathon)in Indianapolis. BibRave named it the best HM of the decade so it's certainly a legit race. According to their website..

"On Saturday, May 8, 2021, 30,000+ runners, joggers, walkers and wheelchair racers will take over the streets of downtown Indianapolis for The Greatest Spectacle in Running - the Indy Mini. This epic race starts in the heart of downtown Indianapolis like only we could – with an IndyCar driver leading off each wave in the pace car that will start the Indy 500 later that month. The flat, fast course is packed with thousands of the nicest volunteers you’ll ever meet and nearly 500 course entertainers. What makes the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon even more special is that the course includes a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (you know, home of the Indy 500)...."

Yes, that's right...it says packed with thousands of volunteers :confused3 . I was planning on running it last spring before it cancelled and am going to register for it this year as soon I get my second vax shot next Friday. Will it really go with 30,000+ runners? I have no idea. Will they really have thousands of volunteers and entertainers? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Hanging here right next to my desk! You're right about the different nationalities in Paris, but it might have been manageable with only runners staying onsite and quick testing done in the hotel before the races.
I've now booked the Vienna half marathon for September with my travel voucher for the cancelled DLP2020 weekend. Still hoping for the WDW marathon and DLP will happen in 2022, so I can get my Castle to Chateau bling bling.
Oh Vienna? Do you have a link for that one? Sounds interesting!

I agree with the exception of the Indy Mini (half marathon)in Indianapolis. BibRave named it the best HM of the decade so it's certainly a legit race. According to their website..

"On Saturday, May 8, 2021, 30,000+ runners, joggers, walkers and wheelchair racers will take over the streets of downtown Indianapolis for The Greatest Spectacle in Running - the Indy Mini. This epic race starts in the heart of downtown Indianapolis like only we could – with an IndyCar driver leading off each wave in the pace car that will start the Indy 500 later that month. The flat, fast course is packed with thousands of the nicest volunteers you’ll ever meet and nearly 500 course entertainers. What makes the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon even more special is that the course includes a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (you know, home of the Indy 500)...."

Yes, that's right...it says packed with thousands of volunteers :confused3 . I was planning on running it last spring before it cancelled and am going to register for it this year as soon I get my second vax shot next Friday. Will it really go with 30,000+ runners? I have no idea. Will they really have thousands of volunteers and entertainers? I doubt it.

I've heard about that race! I haven't run it, but I've heard great things and it's on my "to-run" list one of these years! So they're still planning on going ahead in 2021? Thanks for the update - hadn't known that. It'll be interesting to see if they pull it off. I hope they can - I'm more than ready to get back to mass-start races and "normal" life in general!

I booked with the TA which I use for the Disney Run weekends. It';s still a gamble though. As for running in Vienna, the 10K is on Saturday and the marathon and half marathon are on Sunday, so you could create your own "challenge". Fun fact: it's partly on the course on which Eliud Kipchoge ran his sub-2hour marathon.

Last edited:
Gasparilla got moved from Feb (same weekend as princess would of been) to Mother’s Day weekend back in December and as of Monday they made the call to make it fully virtual
(the expo is live still and at least for the half they are having the main road the race runs down blocked off so runners can still run the race course virtually at their own risk w/o medical or hydration assistance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter