Future Resorts?

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
What are your “Blue Sky” hopes for future DVC resorts?

I’d love to see a DVC at Disneyland Paris…

Would also love to (though doubt it would happen) see DVCs in NYC, London, and at Tokyo Disney….

I also hope that DVC keeps the overall flavor of the program and not adopt a “points trust” program starting in 2043… I’m very worried that’s the direction they will go….

Many years ago they had plans to build a park in Virginia but it was stopped because the local historians and others fought against it.

It would have been close to the Civil War battlefields

Many years ago they had plans to build a park in Virginia but it was stopped because the local historians and others fought against it.

It would have been close to the Civil War battlefields
Disney’s America I believe… in some ways good it didn’t happen… Was kind of Eisner’s first attempt at creating sub-par parks…. Could have been bad for the company had they done it.

However, I wish that DVC had built their original resorts beyond HHI and VB off property.

Galactic Starcruiser. It looks like it might be struggling as an experience; if it continues to struggle, maybe they can convert it to a DVC? I'm sure a lot of things would have to change vs. the current GS storyline. I'd love to own points there.

A few months ago, we were going to WDW for my 50th. My DW decided to give me an extra special surprise by adding a Galactic Starcruiser voyage to our trip, and we had a blast. I'm not sure if we'd want to pay the super premium price for the experience again, but I'd love to stay there as my home resort on a regular trip to WDW.

Galactic Starcruiser. It looks like it might be struggling as an experience; if it continues to struggle, maybe they can convert it to a DVC? I'm sure a lot of things would have to change vs. the current GS storyline. I'd love to own points there.

A few months ago, we were going to WDW for my 50th. My DW decided to give me an extra special surprise by adding a Galactic Starcruiser voyage to our trip, and we had a blast. I'm not sure if we'd want to pay the super premium price for the experience again, but I'd love to stay there as my home resort on a regular trip to WDW.

It was a cool idea but IMO not practical for the price they're demanding and the level of engagement required. If they turned it into a normal hotel and did away with the story so people didn't have to feel like they're missing out on a day in the parks or are forced to stay in the hotel while still keeping the theming and putting the prices at or slightly higher than VGF per night it would start to turn a profit.

It was a cool idea but IMO not practical for the price they're demanding and the level of engagement required. If they turned it into a normal hotel and did away with the story so people didn't have to feel like they're missing out on a day in the parks or are forced to stay in the hotel while still keeping the theming and putting the prices at or slightly higher than VGF per night it would start to turn a profit.
They’d need to add a pool and a parking lot probably.

Build a tower and also link it into the skyliner. I'd be happy to take that into the front of HS and not the box truck "transport shuttle". Treat the other area like a fancy club level or something.

If I can dream - another wing of the Grand Cal - VGC2 :)

I also hope that DVC keeps the overall flavor of the program and not adopt a “points trust” program starting in 2043… I’m very worried that’s the direction they will go….
What on earth are you talking about? A pure points system that isn't deeded? All current DVC is deeded.

The rules of the BVTC are very clear. There are a lot of changes they could make, like charging a premium for non-home points at Poly2, or just completely removing resorts from BVTC. But fundamentally changing the way the deeded system operates isn't possible with current resorts.

But sure, in theory, they could start DVC2 and just not interact with DVC1 at all, or not have deeds or only sell Sunday-Sunday weeks or whatever, in theory. Future resorts could do whatever they want (except DLT, I think, because it has filed a lot of documents already).

I think there's a decent argument that legacy points were promised future resorts. So, IMO, the theoretical future system would have to take those points, but it wouldn't have to be cheap.

DVC's off-site properties have not worked as planned. They are still holding the bag on Aulani. They sold the land in NYC, and in Beaver Creek, Colorado (now a Hyatt timeshare).

I can see DVC throwing up a beach resort in Florida, maybe even a few, to dilute the points and make some cash. But I don't see Disney going far afield of their home turf anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney sold Vero or Aulani, honestly.

If Galactic Starcruiser fails, and is converted to a normal hotel, I can see converting a few rooms to DVC. That is a product I would be interested in, and I don't even like Star Wars (or direct LOL). But I think it's more likely to become something like a corporate or wedding venue, all in one piece.

Last edited:
Tokyo Disneyland could be interesting, but I'm not sure how successful that would be. The parks in Japan do not have a "resort" vibe to me and I wouldn't want to stay on site for an entire trip. I would maybe stay 2-3 days and then go elsewhere. Plus the parks are not super close to Tokyo itself (it's doable but not preferrable for me). When I went to TDL, I stayed in an Airbnb that was nicer than any DVC room and way cheaper too.

I could be into DVCs near frequent Disney cruise ports - good for a short stay before or after a cruise, but VB and WDW probably have Port Canaveral covered.

I live in NYC and ... I just don't see how a DVC could work here. Everyone loves Aulani and yet - it's not still not sold out.

Disney is not a very good Hotelier compared to say Marriott or Hilton. They had land across the street from Vero Beach and sold it off. The handwriting is on the wall. All future resorts will be around their Parks. When 2042 comes both Vero and Hilton Head will be sold off. Aulani is more complicated. While there are many points still for sale, it is a very popular destination and it appears to be making $. The issue as a DVC resort is it is just to darn expensive to visit every year or every other year.

There are many places that Members would like to stay. The more important question is "Where would you be willing to buy"?

DVD will not build another offsite resort unless they have data that indicates strong buyer interest. Off site DVC resorts do not have good track records. Aulani is still not sold out & VB had to be significantly scaled back.

There are many places that Members would like to stay. The more important question is "Where would you be willing to buy"?

DVD will not build another offsite resort unless they have data that indicates strong buyer interest. Off site DVC resorts do not have good track records. Aulani is still not sold out & VB had to be significantly scaled back.
Will there be future parks to build resorts at?

Texas or Arizona come to mind as possible locations.

Even Mexico

Agree that HHI and VB will be sold off. The parks is there sweet spot and there are so many other options and better hoteliers as pointed out.

Aulani, while not sold out, is making cash. Also, look at how much that is on billboards, brochures, etc. Yes, they are actively selling it, but I think that is part of the allure and pitch of DVC.

I wanted to hate Aulani (as an east coaster) but loved it so much we have been twice and just spent the holidays at it. We would never buy there, but I could see us going every few years (especially with Southwest flying to Hawaii).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter