• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future Resorts?

I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons why this would never work, but I'd LOVE a DVC resort on one of Disney's private island's. Castaway Cay or the new one they are currently working on, Lighthouse Point - both in the Bahamas.
Now theres an idea I can get behind.

Most likely it'll be another wdw resort, probably where reflections was supposed to go since they did all the base work already.

What on earth are you talking about? A pure points system that isn't deeded? All current DVC is deeded.

The rules of the BVTC are very clear. There are a lot of changes they could make, like charging a premium for non-home points at Poly2, or just completely removing resorts from BVTC. But fundamentally changing the way the deeded system operates isn't possible with current resorts.

But sure, in theory, they could start DVC2 and just not interact with DVC1 at all, or not have deeds or only sell Sunday-Sunday weeks or whatever, in theory. Future resorts could do whatever they want (except DLT, I think, because it has filed a lot of documents already).

I think there's a decent argument that legacy points were promised future resorts. So, IMO, the theoretical future system would have to take those points, but it wouldn't have to be cheap.
I could see the future resorts not participating in BVTC, and being part of their own program. You could probably even allow Direct Owners of DVC2 to participate with an exchange INTO BVTC properties, and possibly into DVC1.

But, at the very least, I could see them going totally into a points system that you buy the points, and have the deed to a nebulous amount of points. This is how systems like Hyatt Residence Club Portfolio works.

Original owners still are deeded at their resorts, but unless you buy resale, you buy the points and access into Portolio, and that is what you are guaranteed. You don’t have a home resort per se.

I would like to see Disney build a brand new set of
parks/hotels/DVC in Texas. I feel as though the southern middle of the country has been overlooked. Recently heard Universal Studios realized this and is beating Disney to the state.
Maybe Disney is currently buying up some property somewhere in Texas under a fictitious business name and we don't know about it yet.

I would buy direct points in NYC and in the Southeastern mountains if that were an option. When I look at HHI, I think they didn’t sell enough points, given how hard it is to book in there for much of the year without the 11 month window.

Thoughts:
* DVC will NEVER have a resort in another country. Time shares are HATED and not trusted in other countries. For legal issues also .

* Disney has been unsuccessful with resort not close to WDW,or
DLAND,.... not going to happen.

Annex as much land as possible around Disneyland under orders of the king. Build. The Dland/WDW needs more of a bitter sibling rivalry. Give all the shiny new DVCs to the West Coast. The East can have Boulder Ridge mid-refurb.

Thoughts:
* DVC will NEVER have a resort in another country. Time shares are HATED and not trusted in other countries. For legal issues also .

* Disney has been unsuccessful with resort not close to WDW,or
DLAND,.... not going to happen.
That’s funny; I just put in an offer to buy all of Walt Disney Company. I bought it resale as it saved me 40% and have estates in Europe ready for DVC branding. All because you told me it couldn’t be done.

Maybe Disney is currently buying up some property somewhere in Texas under a fictitious business name and we don't know about it yet.
That kind of thing can’t happen anymore really. Disney is a publicly traded company. They can’t secretly do that kind of thing.

I know it wasn't popular with some, but I was really on board for Reflections. The concept art for the rooms and main areas, the mid-century theming, the lazy river, the proximity to Fort Wilderness, the lakeside restaurant, the view.

If they had gone ahead with it, we likely would have bought there instead of VGF.

And it would have sold well. An entire generation who grew up camping at the Fort that now has money to spend... The nostalgia factor would have been huge.

I'm sure it's dead now, but you asked what we were hoping for. The resurrection of this resort would be my wish.

DVC will need to stick to theme park DVC-only. If DVC expanded to destinations like Aulani did, you will see much lower availability at WDW DVC. People who bought DVC in, say, Texas, will want to come to WDW. So now the Texas DVC owners will be reserving rooms at WDW.

For the sake of DVC ownership, more WDW DVC and better yet—ONLY WDW DVC (or DL) would be in DVC owners’ interests. 7 month windows would be shut. So it really would be “Buy where you want to stay, seriously.”

Interestingly, that would make resale restrictions MORE appealing (or less of a drawback). You get the 11 month window, you got the place you love to stay. Meanwhile, you have more non-WDW Direct owners competing with all Direct owners at 7 months at WDW. So I would think overall Direct ownership is disadvantaged at 7 months with more non-WDW DVC expansions, and resale is enhanced even with restrictions. You buy in cheaper, get the 11 month window, and Direct really shifts from “book anywhere” to “you can only get accommodations at your home resort.”

Ironically, non-WDW DVC expansion creates de facto reservation restrictions. And as Aulani still is actively selling, every new Aulani Direct sale slightly reduces the WDW 7 month availability for Direct owners overall.

I think a more "moderate" DVC would sell like crazy. A lower price point for moderate resorts to capture a broader market.

I would definitely like some better/cheaper options for spending my points but I can't visualise how this would work, unless it was entirely separate from the current DVC model.

If the points themselves were cheaper then people would just buy them as SAP. If the rooms were all low point values this could lead to very high dues. I can't imagine that the actual day to day maintenance of a moderate resort is that much cheaper than a deluxe but the owners would have those charges spread over fewer points.

It would be great for the rest of us though, as we could stay there for long periods at our current rate of dues! :)

CarolMN said it best earlier. There are a lot of places DVC members would like to stay. But what DVD needs is for people to BUY THE POINTS at those locations. So, of all the places mentioned earlier, how many of you would buy it direct as a home resort?

I completely agree with this and I can't think of anywhere other than WDW that I'd want to own, despite living in Europe. What I'd like to see are better value ways to use my points outside of the DVC resorts. When it comes to cruises or other options in the Disney collection it would be great if the difference was so small I didn't think it was worth renting out my points and paying cash.

I think a more "moderate" DVC would sell like crazy. A lower price point for moderate resorts to capture a broader market.
As the other poster said I feel like they’d have to almost make a separate group of resorts and include everything moderate and below. If those members wanted to stay in a deluxe make it for a surcharge so that current DVC members don’t feel almost cheated. But Port Orleans, Coronado, all of the All Stars, AoA, Carribean Beach could be included in that value group.

One single moderate DVC resort in a group of deluxes wouldn’t be a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter