Fussy eater suggestions

#1MMFan

Space Mountain Maniac
Ok, I like to eat out at the full service restaurants, and we've been doing this more in our recent trips. The past couple of vacations we have eaten at Kona Cafe for breakfast (yum - need I say what I chose?!) and Whispering Canyon, the Concourse Steakhouse in CR, Boatwright's in DxL, the Plaza in MK and Alfredo's in Epcot.

I shall be honest... we are picky.. I like steak - particularly fillet (my dad always regrets my mum offering me fillet instead of sirloin from such a young age! - now I won't take cheaper! oops). I also like chicken and occasionally fish (although not a seafood fan). I'm not a fan of things that include dairy produce - i.e. cheesy things, creamy sauces and buttery vegetables. Ok, now you're thinking I'm a freak.. ;) My mum also likes similar to me but she will eat cheesy things, but she's not into sauces (she'll take a red wine sauce with meat or a cheese/cream sauce as long as it's not too buttery, but no ketchup, very creamy sauces or mayo).

Here's my impossible question... where can we have a good meal (doesn't matter the expense as long as it's worth it and isn't V&A's!!!)

Also, has anyone ever tried ordering fries instead of mash etc at a fancy restaurant. I see that some of the menus on Deb Wills' site include cheesy mash with garlic or the likes... when I go into TGI Fridays I normally get them to substitute this with something else; would I be wrong to think they'd do that at WDW also?

Thanks for all your posts in advance, can't wait to read them. I go in March 20-30 at WL and it's been over a year (although we had a vacation for a week in Disneyland Resort in California in October at the time of the World Series and it was awesome).

John :bounce:

In general, any of the nicer sitdowns will substitute just about anything for you (within reason - no "endangered silver truffles instead of the corn, please" :) ). So I wouldn't worry about your dairy non-fetish, it shouldn't be a problem. Likewise, sauces of any kind can be requested on the side or gone altogether, without problem or attitude. In general, I'd say that the WDW restaurants are far more accommodating and less snotty about special requests than off-world restaurants in the same price/quality range.

Shula's Steakhouse gets next-to-uniformly great reviews for steak, although I've never been there myself. I have been to Yachtsman Steakhouse and thought it was very good, but beware that they pride themselves on their "oak fired" cooking - which IMO makes everything taste and smell a bit bacon-y. Teppanyaki has filet on their menu for a non ridiculous price, if you can stand a teeny bit of "ethnic" flavoring - think a little garlic and some soy sauce and you're there.

Thanks for the reply MHopkins2, that's a relief!

I may well try Shula's - we've never eaten in the Swan or Dolphin, in fact I don't think I've really been in the Dolphin at all.

Yacht Club looked a bit stuffy, but if the food is good then we'd be open to try it.

Any other suggestions?

John

:bounce:

I recommend Shula's. I ordered the filet and so did my DD12 (same scenario as you?). This was in August of 2002. She ate every bit of it ...I had some of my leftovers for breakfast the next day.:D

My DH ordered the T-bone ... he enjoyed the filet part of it the most and said he would just order the filet the next time. It is pricey, but we all enjoyed the experience. My DD4 enjoyed going to the Dolphin kid's club ... it is free for 2 hours while dining at Shula's.

We ate at the Yachtsman Steakhouse 3 years ago and it was not my favorite. It was not bad at all, just not great. We ordered the chateaubriand for two, and I think that was the mistake. I have often thought we should give it another try and order the regular filet ... but it will be hard to pass up Shula's!:teeth:

The beefsteak tomato salad was excellent and I also liked the chocolate cake at Shula's. DH & DD both had the chocolate souffle.

:tongue: :earsboy: :sunny: :earseek: :p :rolleyes: :Pinkbounc :wave: :teeth: :crazy: :earsgirl: :jester: :earsboy: :tongue:

Thanks KelliR, now I will definitely have to try Shula's!

What about some of the Epcot restaurants? I was thinking of the Garden Grill, or the coral reef (?name) restaurant...

Does the Garden Grill no longer do breakfast?

John :bounce:

Hi John, you won't find fillet at the Garden Grill and you won't find sauces either but you will find some plain but very good food (IMHO). You can't order from a menu. The food will brought to you table ( 3 kinds of meat and several side dishes) and you can ask for seconds on any or everything. We love this place.

Hi John,

Interesting thread, as I too am a bit fussy :)

I hate anything with melted cheese in/on and anything with mayo.
(I even have pizzas at home with no cheese!).
Also, I don't like fungi (mushrooms etc.) and I'm not a big seafood fan either.

So, you can imagine the choices from the WDW menus is very much reduced :)

It's about time they opened a good Indian Restaurant in WDW though :)

I think you might enjoy the filet mignon at LeCellier in Canada in Epcot. They do it several ways and have always been responsive to special requests. Since every restaurant has a kids menu, subbing fries should not be a problem.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter