From Kick'n It at Kidani to Play'n It at Pop adults only p62/63 last thoughts&request

What was the deal with the rental cars?! I briefly thought about renting a car for our trip coming up and EZ was the cheapest. I'm kinda glad I didn't go for it!

How cool is it to get the same room twice!? I wonder what the actual odds of that happening are!? I think it means you were destined to have a fabulous trip!!!

Holy crap! That fish is super scary!! There is no way, no how I could have eaten that!!! How in the world did they think that that was a good presentation?!

Sounds like you guys hads a so-so meal :( You know my love for Narcoosees!! Our meal there was, as you know, one of the best meals ever! Of course, we didn't get anything that looked like that fish!

:scared1: OHH that fish. Like someone else said, I wouldn't have been able to sit at the same table with it.

Your pics are very nice. We visited the GF for the first time in June just to look around. It is very pretty.

Have Fun at Dorney. I haven't been there since college.

Sept2009-Disney029.jpg

Someone once commented that this reminded them of the band that played while the Titanic sunk. Now that's all I can think of when I see this :rotfl:

Your dinner looks amazing! Someday....

I also love the pics you took of the floor at GF, I don't think I have ever seen a picture of that before, it is beautiful!

Thanks for the hugs! :flower3:

Narcossee's what a wonderful way to start a vacation!!

Can't wait to see your MK pics!

i'm going to join the ranks of those horrified by the fish - that's ghastly! Reminds me of the first time i ordered fish and chips in England and discovered (with horror) that the tail and skin and bones were all still there....under the batter. *shudders*

i'm also glad i wasn't the only one thinking of the band on the Titanic... :rolleyes1

Glad you enjoyed your dinner though!

Me: MEK....Mary Ellen
DH: Denny (aka as Directionless Denny or the DH who forgets his underwear and other assorted items)

Oh Poor Denny, what a description!

:rotfl:

When you have teenagers, how can you NOT have a little drama before you go away? When we planned this trip last April we really thought the boys (who are 15 and 16 1/2) would do OK alone for 4 nights. However, as the trip became a reality we thought, "Maybe NOT". I kept reassuring myself that everything would be fine, but about a week before we were supposed to leave I decided that the boys needed a little bit more adult supervision. So I frantically set out to find someone who would take each boy on Sunday night and then take them to school on Monday. My DS 16 is not fully liscensed to drive yet. In Delaware a 16 year old must drive with a parent in the car for a full 6 months. He will meet that criteria in mid November.

Once I had them safely supervised for Sunday night, I starting working on getting someone to sleep in the house Monday and Tuesday night. Wednesday was the only night they would be alone. As it turned out, a good friend of mine stayed overnight Monday and Tuesday. It worked out great. In fact, we will be taking this good friend and his wife to Disney in May. Finally, all driving arrangements, to and from school and soccer, were confirmed. Plus spare car keys were given to my nieghbors and all the alcohol in the house was locked and hidden in the shed.

Sounds simple, right? Wrong? My kids really protested with all these last minute changes, but I held my ground. On Saturday evening, we had a huge last minute debate over the house rules, which really stressed me out. I knew that some of this was normal teenage behavior, and that the kids would calm down once we were out of town, but it stressed me out nonetheless. I requested that DS 16 1/2 be home by 12pm the night before we left. I really didn't want him at a friend's house on Saturday night because it would be too difficult to contact him Sunday morning. I wanted everyone home, in their bed, when we left for the airport the next day.

Needless to say, I fell asleep on the coach waiting for my son to come home. I woke up right before he got home (11pm) and was folding clothes when he arrived. Getting ready for this trip proved to be a last minute marathon. I must have done about 5 loads of laundry before we left. I got everything folded and most things put away. It was exhausting.

Once my son got home, I decided to go to bed. But I think my nerves were still shot from the earlier drama. Plus I have a tendency to not sleep well before a trip. And that earlier nap on the couch made me unusually awake. So when I went to bed sleep was not forthcoming. In fact, I tossed and turned, got up and down, took a xanax around midnight, and a benadryl at 3am and finally fell asleep at 4am! :scared1:

I actually bought this great little collapsible rolling cooler at Costco and I packed it with water and a bottle of wine. All I needed was ice!

I'm reading along and reading along and thinking....he's not going to be home by midnight, he's not going to be home by midnight....

Oh wait. That was Taylor, last weekend. Suffice to say he's lost his nighttime driving privileges! I think you were VERY VERY smart not to leave them alone. I just had a weekend full of horror stories of teens left alone and what happens.

I :love: that costco cooler, one of the best things I ever bought. Did you check it? I can just imagine the pre-trip stress...I swear we are taking the red eye next time, I think that's the only way I can actually sleep the night before a trip!

Once we were seated we orded cocktails. I know DH had some type of tropical drink we had several types of liquor in it. He declared that it, "really packed a punch". I had a nice sangria.

Sept2009-Disney008.jpg

Narcoosee's also offered us some complimentary champagne that we were more than happy to drink:

Sept2009-Disney004.jpg

For appetizers DH ordered the crab cakes:

Sept2009-Disney007.jpg

I had the mussels which were excellent and plentiful:

Sept2009-Disney006.jpg

I haven't had mussels that good since I chained my bike to a fence, put the freewheel in my pocket, and hopped the T to downtown Boston. :confused3 Ok this is an ancient memory, but many years ago I did a 4 day bike ride across Massachusetts (I don't think I spelled that right, help me LL) and on the 3rd night of our trip we decided to go into Boston. Remember - no car - we only had bikes and we were sleeping in college dorms. In order to keep the bike from being stolen I was able to slip out the freewheel, which holds the front wheel to the bike. A freewheel will fit nicely in your pocket and no one will take a bike they can't ride.

Ok, so I digress. Anyway, those mussels were mighty good.

For our entrees DH ordered fish. For the life of me I can't remember what kind of fish it was. All I know is the waiter gave him the warning that it was a "whole fish - head and all". I don't know why DH decided to order this. I was the one who was sleep deprived. Well, when it came out it looked like this......

Sept2009-Disney009.jpg

Ok...that is just creepy looking and I love fish. Imagine if you HATED fish! The outer coating just sort of flaked away to a lovely white fish. Unfortunately, the fish was full of tiny bones which did not enhance DH's dining pleasure. He wasn't loving it and regretted that he did not order the tuna.

I had the surf and turf:

Sept2009-Disney010.jpg

You can't really see the lobster tail all that well in this picture. I was just so excited to have lobster tail. I can't even remember the last time I had lobster. It was lovely, although it got a tad rubbery as the time passed. The filets were small, but very flavorable. I gave one to DH because he was still not loving his fish and it was too much food for me to eat. I only had a forkful of the scalloped potatoes that adorned the dish. As far as the broccoli - well I was done counting weight watcher's points, so you know where that ended up!

Dessert was almond cheescake for DH:

Sept2009-Disney011.jpg

This cheescake was amazing. Really, really good! Since I was just coming off a diet and was used to eating next to nothing, I opted for the sugar free sorbet:

Sept2009-Disney012.jpg

The berries were really good. There was a nice size serving of mixed berries in the bottom of the dish, but the sorbet was just ehhhh because it needed more......SUGAR! Seriously, what was I thinking ordering sugar free sorbet! :confused3

Ok first, those mussels. YUM! I love mussels. I want to go there just for that dish! Oh man, you are going to make me revisit my choices. Well, not really but oh I'd really like to try those

I am shocked that they don't fillet that fish tableside. I've worked in several restaurants that did a whole fish along those lines and we always

1) warned the person about the head/eyes/tail appearance (ours wasn't as spiny but did have some)

2) filleted them tableside to get rid of the bones and present a lovely presentation.

Ours was tilapia...the golden one to be precise...a prehistoric fish that we used to make many a joke aobut its evolutionary journey. But I digress.

I would not have been happy about the lack of deboning. At all.

Other random comments
  • too funny about the car saga
  • I can't believe you got the same room, good tat you liked it!
  • hmmn...black leather sandals, parked far away...oh no....

But I bet you looked marvelous!

I'm here I'm here MEK!! I'm going to have to read back and catch up!! But I'm so excited to hear all about your anniversary trip!!!

Hi All!

I read through everyone's great comments and I promise to respond to everyone individually, tomorrow! It's already 11pm and we just got home from Dorney. Talk about "walk - on". It was walk - on everything. I just really wish I could do hard-core thrill rides, like those coasters that send up spiraling upward and then flying backwards up another 90 degree tower only to leave you hanging there looking straight down. You know - those really crazy ones. But we did ride the tamer coasters numerous times - Talon, Steel Force, and the new one - Hydra (which was down most of the day).

The Hydra is a B&M coaster (the same company that made the Incredible Hulk coaster in IoA). It was very smooth and very fun. I did work up the nerve for the front seat on Talon and that was amazing. I kept thinking we were really going to hit our heads on the track. What a rush! Unfortunately, after several rides on those looping coasters, I started to get one of the "coaster headaches". You know - that funny pressure in your head which is probably a warning that you've knocked your brains against your cranium a few too many times. But I managed to ride Steele Force 5 times, Talon 4 times, and Hydra twice.

We stayed until dark so we could visit a couple of the Halloween Haunt attractions. Well, I think I screamed more at the spooky looking people jumping out of the fog, then I did on the cranium busting coasters. I hated to leave, but we had a long drive home, made longer by an accident that closed all the lanes on I95. The one attraction was just down-right gory, but so much fun. We had a blast. I wish they would have their picnic there again next year.

Anyway - gotta go sleep. Comments and an update will be coming tomorrow!

11 coaster rides in 1 day?! Your a braver women then me!! No way could I do that!!

What was the deal with the rental cars?! I briefly thought about renting a car for our trip coming up and EZ was the cheapest. I'm kinda glad I didn't go for it!

Yeah... I wasn't real impressed with this year's selection of cars. I just think they really let the maintenance slip. When we rented from them last time they just changed hands from L&M, which had a fairly good reputation.

How cool is it to get the same room twice!? I wonder what the actual odds of that happening are!? I think it means you were destined to have a fabulous trip!!!

Isn't that crazy????? I can't believe it either. Very "deja vu like". Great room location.

Holy crap! That fish is super scary!! There is no way, no how I could have eaten that!!! How in the world did they think that that was a good presentation?!

Sounds like you guys hads a so-so meal :( You know my love for Narcoosees!! Our meal there was, as you know, one of the best meals ever! Of course, we didn't get anything that looked like that fish!

:rotfl2: Can you imagine if you were eating dinner with children? That fish could scare the crap out of some of them! I'm thinking of CP's son Connor. I wonder what his reaction to THAT fish would be? :rotfl2:

But, honestly, overall our meal was pretty good. The mussels, crap cakes, and almond cheese cake were awesome, so I have no real complaints. I just felt bad for Denny who was stuck sorting through tiny bones.

:scared1: OHH that fish. Like someone else said, I wouldn't have been able to sit at the same table with it.

Your pics are very nice. We visited the GF for the first time in June just to look around. It is very pretty.

:rotfl: You know....I wonder if there really are some adults that have to get up and walk away from that thing????? Hopefully they took it off the menu by now. Too many crying children, clinging to their mother's side. :laughing:

Thanks for the compliment on the pics. I have more to post later when we return from the park. Gorgeous resort. I wanted to check out of Pop right then and there. Talk about an upgrade!

Have Fun at Dorney. I haven't been there since college.

Dorney was a blast! They really did a good job with that Halloween haunt. Next time, though, I need to spend the night up there or take the next day off from work!

Someone once commented that this reminded them of the band that played while the Titanic sunk. Now that's all I can think of when I see this :rotfl:

:rotfl: You are so right! It looks exactly like that band. You know I love music, so if I hadn't been in such a rush to hop the monorail, I would have loved to listen for I bit.

Your dinner looks amazing! Someday....

I also love the pics you took of the floor at GF, I don't think I have ever seen a picture of that before, it is beautiful!

Narcoosees really is a beautiful location. I'm so glad we kick-started the trip with Narcoosees. It was a perfect beginning. Oh, and that floor, so beautiful!

Thanks for the hugs! :flower3:

Narcossee's what a wonderful way to start a vacation!!

Can't wait to see your MK pics!

You're welcome!

We did have a wonderful start to our trip! And tonight I will post the MK pics!

i'm going to join the ranks of those horrified by the fish - that's ghastly! Reminds me of the first time i ordered fish and chips in England and discovered (with horror) that the tail and skin and bones were all still there....under the batter. *shudders*

i'm also glad i wasn't the only one thinking of the band on the Titanic... :rolleyes1

Glad you enjoyed your dinner though!

:lmao: I can not imagine fish and chips with the tail and bones. Bleech! That does sound pretty bad!

OK, that's two votes for the Titanic!

I was thinking more "Lawrence Welk" when I saw the band.

:laughing: Yeah, I can see that, too! :laughing:

Oh Poor Denny, what a description!

:rotfl:
Welcome Cynthia! So glad you are along for the ride! :banana::thumbsup2:woohoo:
That title was actually given to Denny many years ago by one of his close friends. I can not lay claim to that particular term of endearment.

I'm reading along and reading along and thinking....he's not going to be home by midnight, he's not going to be home by midnight....

Oh wait. That was Taylor, last weekend. Suffice to say he's lost his nighttime driving privileges! I think you were VERY VERY smart not to leave them alone. I just had a weekend full of horror stories of teens left alone and what happens.

:rotfl2: OK, not so funny for you. Does your state having a driving curfew? Delaware does. In fact, for the first 6 months the 16 yr old needs an adult in the car. I am grateful for that.

:scared1:to the horror store of teens alone gone bad. You will have to share a story or two.

I :love: that costco cooler, one of the best things I ever bought. Did you check it? I can just imagine the pre-trip stress...I swear we are taking the red eye next time, I think that's the only way I can actually sleep the night before a trip!

I :love: that cooler, too. I did check it. It was full of water and a bottle of wine. Since the plastic wheely thing detacts, I just carried that and put it under my seat. We kept that bad-boy filled with ice. No leaks whatsoever. Perfect for a trip to the value resorts!

Ok first, those mussels. YUM! I love mussels. I want to go there just for that dish! Oh man, you are going to make me revisit my choices. Well, not really but oh I'd really like to try those

They were really, really good. I actually had mussels a second time during the trip. The ones at Narcoosees were definately the best. Perfect flavoring to the broth. Yum!

I am shocked that they don't fillet that fish tableside. I've worked in several restaurants that did a whole fish along those lines and we always

1) warned the person about the head/eyes/tail appearance (ours wasn't as spiny but did have some)

2) filleted them tableside to get rid of the bones and present a lovely presentation.

Ours was tilapia...the golden one to be precise...a prehistoric fish that we used to make many a joke aobut its evolutionary journey. But I digress.

I would not have been happy about the lack of deboning. At all.

We did get a bit of a warning. We knew the head was going to be on the fish. We didn't know about the rest of the body. Filleting it tableside does sound like the right thing today. Maybe not of the waiters knew how to do that? :confused3 Interesting. Because it was the bones, not the appearance, that really presented the challenge. When the waiter asked how everything was, and Denny told him about the bones, he just sort-of did this .....:confused3:rolleyes1.

Other random comments
  • too funny about the car saga
  • I can't believe you got the same room, good tat you liked it!
  • hmmn...black leather sandals, parked far away...oh no....

But I bet you looked marvelous!

I did look marvelous. I can only say that because I have no pictures of myself to prove it. :rotfl: But at least my pants fit, because they were way too tight before I started weight watchers! :thumbsup2

I'm here I'm here MEK!! I'm going to have to read back and catch up!! But I'm so excited to hear all about your anniversary trip!!!

Jen... :cool1::banana::cool1: Welcome Back! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures! I've got to get my TR done fast, so I can keep up with all the good ones that are about to start! :woohoo:

11 coaster rides in 1 day?! Your a braver women then me!! No way could I do that!!

I would have ridden more, but I kept getting that stupid headache everytime we went on an inverted coaster. It would take about 20 -30 mins for the cobwebs to clear, then I was ready to go again. I don't think I did any permanent damage! :rotfl:

First of all, I just have to comment on that fish. :scared1: Your hubby is one brave guy. I like seafood and all, but I don't really like to be staring it in the face while I eat, KWIM? :rotfl:

I'm sorry you had car troubles starting out. At least you got upgraded - sweet! :thumbsup2

Have a great week!

First of all, I just have to comment on that fish. :scared1: Your hubby is one brave guy. I like seafood and all, but I don't really like to be staring it in the face while I eat, KWIM? :rotfl:

I could ignore the face, but those spiny bones. Eeeeek! :scared1: DH is a trouper. He seriously never complains, that's why I felt so bad for him.

I'm sorry you had car troubles starting out. At least you got upgraded - sweet! :thumbsup2

It really was a decent upgrade, I just wish they took better car of their cars. I don't think I will rent from them in the future because I think their fleet of cars is going down hill.

Mary Ellen, I think Denny had the guy on the right for dinner

:scared: Serves him right for messing with Marlin and Dory :lmao:

I'm all caught up and I have to tell you...not impressed with the fish LOL!! I'm not a big seafood eater in the first place and that about did me in LOL!!!!! I don't see Naccroossee's in my future anytime soon....LOL!!!

I'm glad you were able to figure everything out with your boys that way you could have a great time with your hubby!!

Ewww to all the rental car dilemna...I really enjoy having a car but I wouldn't want one that was falling apart on me LOL!!!!

Great update and I can't wait to read more!! I love your TRs LOL!

Ok! All caught up! :thumbsup2 Just have to say, I really HATE the laundry thing before I go away on vacation- and it is 100 times worse when I go without the kids, because I am always worried they are going to run out of underwear or something while I'm away!:scared1: Hence the millions of pre-trip loads.

And the fish....we have had that in other restaurants, and don't mind our food looking back at us, but DO mind all those bones!! :crazy2: THEY are the real deal-breakers, I think, too!!

I will be back to catch up and read, MEK, but wanted to let you know that I am here and subscribed! :goodvibes

:cool1::banana::cool1: Yeah....CP....So glad you're here. Now make sure you go back and look at that fish and tell me what Connor would do if he saw it! (particularily in light of his gagging episode at the Columbia Harbour House). :eek: :rotfl:

Mary Ellen, I think Denny had the guy on the right for dinner

:scared: Serves him right for messing with Marlin and Dory :lmao:

:surfweb: Uggggghhhhhhhh! I HATE when I can't see pictures at work. It's such torture. I will comment when I get home.

I'm all caught up and I have to tell you...not impressed with the fish LOL!! I'm not a big seafood eater in the first place and that about did me in LOL!!!!! I don't see Naccroossee's in my future anytime soon....LOL!!!

Well, so far I haven't heard from one Dis'er who is not grossed out by that fish. Poor Mr fishy. But I finally remembered and I think he was a Red Snapper. I remember being intriqued that they had Red Snapper on the menu because its not something I see too frequently. But then again, I do not have the most sophisticated palate so maybe I'm not eating at the right places.

Anyhoo, there were plenty of other choices on the menu and it really is one of the prettiest locations on property, so don't let that whole fish on a plate scare you off.

Ewww to all the rental car dilemna...I really enjoy having a car but I wouldn't want one that was falling apart on me LOL!!!!

Great update and I can't wait to read more!! I love your TRs LOL!

It was not the most well maintained car and I have to wonder how long it was driving like that. I hope they did take it out of service, but I'm sure the didn't.

Glad you're following along. I can't wait to hear about your trip and all your fun Dis meets.

Ok! All caught up! :thumbsup2 Just have to say, I really HATE the laundry thing before I go away on vacation- and it is 100 times worse when I go without the kids, because I am always worried they are going to run out of underwear or something while I'm away!:scared1: Hence the millions of pre-trip loads.

Ditto. I never thought I would get to the bottom of that laundry basket. The worst part is, I STILL don't feel like I'm caught up on laundry! I always worry about my kids not being able to find their soccer uniforms and socks. I hang them all along the railing that runs along my upstairs hall so there is NO WAY they can miss them. Anything to avoid the, "Hey mom where's my soccer uniform" phone call.

And the fish....we have had that in other restaurants, and don't mind our food looking back at us, but DO mind all those bones!! :crazy2: THEY are the real deal-breakers, I think, too!!

Exactly, the bones were killer for DH. Everytime I looked at him he was spitting out another teeny bone. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter