FP + What we know and what we want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcrook

DIS Veteran
THIS Thread will be continued on to FP+ What we know and what we want to know PART II

Last updated 1/22/2013

You can read the fine print ... Known Terms and Conditions:
* The FP+ will be managed through the My Disney Experience website and apps.
* The number of FP+ per day will be limited and vary based on park, ride, and day of the week, and time of the year.
* Can be used in 1 Park per day (This would limit FP+ at two parks while hopping).
* Can be used only once per ride per day
* User can login and reserve rides and events up to 60 days in advance
* Once a customer is using FP+ that customer will not be able to use the standard FP
* One user will be able to book rides and events for multiple people online as long as a network of friends has been set up.
* Credit Cards will be linked up to accounts
* FP+ will include a wide range of rides, character meet and greets, quick service meal ordering, select locations for parades, shows, and fireworks.
* The number of days you can hold a FP+ reservation will be limited.
* A user may change their reservations throughout the day (based on availibilty).
* Disney has the right to re-assign FP+ for you in case of unplanned attraction down time.
* Customers will be able to use their personal devices, computers, and concierge services in the resorts.
* Patrons can choose to get email and text alerts and reminders throughout the day.

My Disney Experience - Frequently Asked Questions explains about information collected about customers and how it is used.

NBC VIDEO that shows entries to park and discusses security.

Things verified from other sites:

* WDWMagic FAQs summarizes nicely.
- Everyone will have access on site and off site.
- No extra cost (unless you want buy bracelets)
- AP holders will be included and be provided magicbands.
- Customers can use their phones or kiosks in the park.
* WDW Blog post from Tom Staggs, Chairman of the Parks.
- Use smartphones and kiosks to keep adjusting all day as you go.
- People can opt out or participate in as little or as much as they want.
- AP holders will be fully included.
- People will be able to customize their bands and purchase a wide range of styles.
- Roll-out starts this spring.
* good summary from Computerworld. Covers wristbands, security, and future. Nick Franklin V.P. Next Gen Technology confirms:
- 3 FP+ for each day
- Special bonus FP+ might be shared throughout the day. A good example here of a dumbo surprise.
- Select seating for Parades, Fireworks, Meet and Greets will be available.
- It will be available to all guests, it will be free, and it won't be tiered based on resort.
* The interactive device will be magic band.
* This article from Time does a nice job explaining the wristbands potential economic impact on Disney.
* The terms and conditions mention key cards or some other electronic device.
* There will be a lot of personalized interactions throughout the parks. For example, at a Character meet, the character will greet a child with a first name and know any special occasions. Mousermerf mentioned things like birthday wishes written on balloons in different attractions. New York Times has a good example here.
* Based on Terms and Conditions and several articles - any valid MYW ticket will be able to link to My Disney Experience and then access FP+.
* Easywdw has new changes to calendars. These official changes are coming out much earlier than normal check them out here and read the commentary.
* the Infinity Game provides an additional source of revenue connected to the RFID bands. Check out the Forbes article and this article.
What happens to people without personal devices? (Kiosks in Park)OR - you could buy a wi-fi enabled device that doesn't need a service plan like an ipod touch version 4 or 5 to ensure connectivity. iPhones need to be 3GS or newer with 3.0 ios or newer. Thanks Robo.

What we still dont know: (and Speculation) Reliable Source Answer

Good Summary here from Andyman8.
Excellent analysis from mbrittb00 about FP+ and FP coexisting. The numbers don't look good.

Ticket Questions:
* IF we link a ticket with less days than resort days or less days than other people in the party, will Disney offer us immediate upgrade options?
*How will it affect AP users not staying on site? (Our Annual Passholders are very important to us and were taking extra care to provide access to all the features and benefits of MyMagic+ - Tom Staggs, Chairman of the parks.?)
*Will there be a limit on FP+ per quarter for AP holders? (Mousermerf says there will be a 20 FP+ limit)
*How will it affect YES tickets?
*Will GAC be affected? Here is an article addressing this issue.
* How will military discounts be affected. (one question is if military discounts have to purchased on site, will the military families be able to book anything in advance?)
* AP on will call basis. How do AP holders participate with no voucher number?
DVC
*How will it affect DVC owners? Nearly everything suggests that DVC will have full access to all of FP+, new website going to be unveiled soon.
* Will a valid DVC resort reservation be enough to book advanced FP+? (It looks like a Ticket will be needed - probably not a voucher)

Friends and Family Linking and getting FP+ as a Group
*Can I schedule fast passes for everyone in my group or just those whose virtual tickets I entered?

Opting Out and using regular FP
*Can a customer stay on site, not connect tickets to bracelet and then still use regular FP? (everything points to yes)
*Will regular FP- eventually be available to all guests in addition to FP+? (early signs NO)
*What will happen to FP- or standard FP (logic says it will fade away)

Other Concerns
*How will this affect Rider Swap?
*On the 60th day will we be able to book our entire trip, or would we need to login everyday and book FP+?
*What will the Ride Categories be and how many FP+ in each category? (Based on Test Runs: MK top tier - ???? DHS top tier - ????) Micechat has a nice article though.

Technical
*BigAWL has a thread dedicated to the My Disney Experience and App.
*Does the "here and now" button on the app connect to FP+ options?
*Will we be able to see the FP+ inventory (shop around) before we purchase our tickets?
*Are the magic bands Wi-Fi transmitters as well as RFID?
*How much in advance will TSMM run out of FP+?
*How will this affect Standby lines? According to the ny times article Disney believes this is the average patrons experience:
"Disney World guests currently plod through entrance turnstiles, redeeming paper tickets, and then decide what to ride; food and merchandise are bought with cash or credit cards. (Disney hotel key cards can also be used to charge items.) People race to FastPass kiosks, which dispense a limited number of free line-skipping tickets. But gridlock quickly sets in and most people wait. And wait."

The FP+ is designed to "fix" that problem.

This Orlando Sentinal article shares more of Tom Staggs vision.

Pure Speculation:
Will deluxe resorts get more than 3 FP+?
Will people be able to purchase FP+ extra packages? no official notice but two separate reports claim that pay per play could coming next. Three for free and then pay.
Will people be able to purchase FP+ one at a time on demand? (wild speculation)
Is this based on the followingYield Management concepts? check out this site for a description.
Will dynamic pricing be introduced next? Different park pricing for different days of the week, times of the year, parks? (click here for hints from the Orlando Sentinal.)
Is this all tied to together with the reduction of EMH?
Connected to rumors of No FD offers? (If extra FP+ -in addition to three free- are available for deluxe resorts, maybe)
Taking the non-expiration ticket offer off the webpage?

Here is one possible outcome of the magic bands from Luna Park.

Opinions from disboard posts:
Doug7856 provides a great explanation of how these changes affects individuals in different ways.
Ninja mom talks from experience about meeting those pre arranged FP times.
MichiganDVC paints a very peaceful picture of how FP+ will work for him.
MAGICFOR2 wrote a letter to Disney and got a response.
Colleen27 - Fastpass+ system collapse under its own weight?
Finedice provides a scenario for bonus fastpass distribution ("surprise and delight" passes).
Good post about fastpass + and possible motive of Disney.

FP+ What we know and what we want to know PART II

When will they announce the answers to all the unknowns....?! (I expect they will answer as soon as they can get the folks in IT to debug as much as possible before they want to go live)

Don Rumsfeld would be proud of you.

You got the "What we know we know" and What we know we don't know" down.

Now we need someone to figure out the "What we don't know we know" and "what we don't know we don't know."

TSMM - Toy Story Midway Mania
AP - > Got me on that one.. I think its Annual Pass

Are the magic bands Wi-Fi transmitters as well as RFID?

Also, the 60-day thing was mentioned specifically for MYW ticket holders...not sure if others might be given more or less time (another way of tiering the resort levels, etc.)

Good synopsis! I'm still dreading the roll-out. We don't do ADRs because we don't like to plan our day around where we have to eat and when, so planning rides that far in advance scares me!

When will they announce the answers to all the unknowns....?! (I expect they will answer as soon as they can get the folks in IT to debug as much as possible before they want to go live)

Yes! We need to know that.

Don Rumsfeld would be proud of you.

You got the "What we know we know" and What we know we don't know" down.

Now we need someone to figure out the "What we don't know we know" and "what we don't know we don't know."

I was counting on you to provide those other two categories! :)

Are the magic bands Wi-Fi transmitters as well as RFID?

Also, the 60-day thing was mentioned specifically for MYW ticket holders...not sure if others might be given more or less time (another way of tiering the resort levels, etc.)

I added your questions. Thanks.

Sorry if this was spelled out somewhere, but this has me so confused!
How will it work for park hoppers? Will we only be able to do FP+ in one park and then be pretty much screwed for the next park since we can't also use the regular FP machines?

Sorry if this was spelled out somewhere, but this has me so confused!
How will it work for park hoppers? Will we only be able to do FP+ in one park and then be pretty much screwed for the next park since we can't also use the regular FP machines?

It is pretty clear in the Terms and Conditions, that FP+ can only be used in one park per day. I hop everyday, so it that is bad for me. But, as others have said trying to find a silver lining, you can go to one park (DHS) in the morning and then hop to Epcot in the afternoon and have a ride reservation waiting for you at Soarin for 7:00 pm, and we are lucky maybe one for TT too. I am sure you would also have one for Figment and Gran Fiesta Tour! :goodvibes But I am not sure you would need them. :)

I really hope regular fastpass doesn't go away. I likely won't use this plus thing. I don't really go to parades or fireworks. If there's a character I don't mind waiting in line and if its too long I just move on. At least I have till December to see what happens. I may shorten my trip depending on what I hear.

I really hope regular fastpass doesn't go away. I likely won't use this plus thing. I don't really go to parades or fireworks. If there's a character I don't mind waiting in line and if its too long I just move on. At least I have till December to see what happens. I may shorten my trip depending on what I hear.

I guess if you are staying on site, and you don't link your tickets to the bracelet you should be fine using the regular FP options. The problem would be nearly everyone staying on site is going to have the bracelets and gobbling up all the FPs from their phones a few days before you would have access. At least for the popular attractions.

I added your concern in italics above.

I guess if you are staying on site, and you don't link your tickets to the bracelet you should be fine using the regular FP options. The problem would be nearly everyone staying on site is going to have the bracelets and gobbling up all the FPs from their phones a few days before you would have access. At least for the popular attractions.

If that ends up being how it has to be, when I check in, is it possible to separate your tickets from your room key? I though I read that was possible but I'm not sure. I suppose we will know more later about what is actually going to happen. I'll keep paying down my trip until I learn more.

If that ends up being how it has to be, when I check in, is it possible to separate your tickets from your room key? I though I read that was possible but I'm not sure. I suppose we will know more later about what is actually going to happen. I'll keep paying down my trip until I learn more.

I will add that question above. Could I stay in a Disney resort and not even purchase tickets to the park? Sure. Then you would have to have a bracelet for your room key. Then you could use your regular tickets to get in the park. I can't imagine that not being true.

I will add that question above. Could I stay in a Disney resort and not even purchase tickets to the park? Sure. Then you would have to have a bracelet for your room key. Then you could use your regular tickets to get in the park. I can't imagine that not being true.

Like people buying tickets from UT...

Like people buying tickets from UT...

Right. You wouldn't have to hand the tickets over to link to your bracelet. But then a customer would have to use the "old" technology. :). Use the old entrance to the park and leftovers for fastpass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!