Jonjo
Mouseketeer
- Joined
- Feb 1, 2008
- Messages
- 3,093
From the BBC News website:
The Channel Tunnel has been closed "until further notice" after a fire on a lorry.
Eurostar says all services have been suspended for the day and trains are returning to their original stations.
Kent Police said the fire happened at the French end of the tunnel and is being dealt with by the French authorities. There were no reported injuries and the lorry is being recovered, a police spokesman said. The spokesman said the fire had led to the closure of both bores of the Channel Tunnel. He added: "Rail passengers are advised to expect significant delays whilst the vehicle is being recovered and fumes are cleared from the tunnels."
Eurotunnel spokesman John O'Keefe said inspectors were sent into the tunnel after two smoke alarms had been triggered. "The investigation into the two alarms is going on at the moment so as soon we know more we'll let [everyone] know," he said.