For those who are saving for their retirement..

ElizaB39 said:
Hello Yachtclubwoman/neighbor! Yes we are close to each other.

Regarding the Villages in FL. My in laws own a home there where many of their friends also have homes. It is a great place for seniors, I call it College for Seniors, especially with the 2 for 1's on the square during happy hour - hee hee. Even though they are in FL for 5 months each year, one month during the fall and 4 during the colder months, FIL still only golfs. And, there are tons of clubs and activities to participate in. MIL still takes tennis lessons and plays in a club (she is 67). She has more activities than FIL but not many. She is physically active and very social.

I was teasing my DH that we could buy one soon because he is almost 43, I think you have to be 50? or is it 55 to buy there? We could retire next to his parents! (no thanks) It would be a good investment though.

My parents have looked at the Villages and they feel like it is too organized for them. They are a bit more free wheeling and they like to be ON THE BEACH. Dad gets to deep sea fish and mom gets her long beach walks in. They have travelled all over the country now except the Southwest and I would love to do that area with them.

DH has given me carte blanche with where we retire since he chose where we live now (family business). We will be on a lake somewhere, I can't wait. I find the ocean a bit too humid for me so a lake is a good choice. BTW I grew up in Northern MN so lakes are in my blood. :teeth:

You must be 55 to buy at The Villages. You cannot have any children under 18 living with you. I actually looked into it, but I was to young and DD was to young.

I always wanted to buy a shore house at The New Jersey shore. this way I would be close to my family. But now houses are going for like $500,000. So that is out of the question.

I'd also like to move to Florida, for at least part of the year. I have allot of family in Florida too. Does anyone know if the property taxes in Florida are high like in New Jersey.

Feralpeg said:
You must be 55 to buy at The Villages. You cannot have any children under 18 living with you. I actually looked into it, but I was to young and DD was to young.

I guess I was teasing him that he could buy there in 13 years then! hee hee Both kids would be legal adults by then and on their own (we hope :) ). We could have it as an investment property for a while, then use it or well it.

I am no longer working but didn't make a concious decision to retire. I had a couple of major surgeries in '99 and was on two long leaves of absence .

I tried to work most of 2000, but finally had to go back on leave of absence. Then had more surgeries in 2001. By this time I was out of short-term disability and had to sell my home (right after 9/11).

I moved from CA to Arkansas and live with my dad. When I first got back here I could barely walk ten steps. I never went back to work.

When my health improved enough that I could travel some that's what I started doing. I know what it is like to be unable to travel, shop, etc - I think I've had a preview of what it is like to be very, very old and frail.

My dad tells my friends that call "She's not at home - she's weird." He thinks I am strange for traveling so much. I still have to rest a lot and pace myself, but I'm doing what I can while I can.

The first year I spent NO money at all - first of all I didn't have the energy to go shopping, and two I was concerned about making my money last. My family had no money when I was growing up so I have great skills at living on nothing.

What is hard for me is to spend some of my money. I love to go to WDW but have been known to go with free miles, an AP (my big splurge) and a $25 a nice Hotwire hotel that I split with a friend.

You have no idea how HARD it was for me to spend the money to go to AKL two years ago even if it was only $109 a night with AP rate. I just felt so decadent, but I totally enjoyed it.

I have worked in two political campaigns. I can use my skills, but because I am a volunteer I do not have to go in when I want to travel or when my health problems make it difficult.

It changes from time to time, but these basic expectations for retirement remain unchanged:

1. Have no mortgage.
2. Travel at least twice a year.
3. Do not rely on DS for my care.

Other than that, I'm pretty flexible.

:teeth:

I think my husband should retire, but he doesn't seem ready. I think the job defines him. But I see him working from 8 to 6 every day and then going back in to work after supper most days. In addition to that he goes on business travel frequently, and then has to make up the work that piled up on his desk when he was gone, so he works some weekends. He doesn't have any real hobbies or activities as a result. So I don't know what he'd do. We talked about travel, but it would be fairly short trips, if only because we have pets and I have a job that is not as flexible at taking off as his is.

I teach exercise to older people. I choreograph as well as lead classes. I have thought about retiring, but if I retired, I'd have to enroll in a fitness club, since I am not motivated to exercise on my own. So I'd be paying money to do what I do now that pays me money to do. I exercise, and am getting paid at the same time. It's not all that simple, of course, since it takes considerable preparation time at home as well as the study for recertification as exercise instructor.

We have looked at retirement communities including one near Baltimore that is a huge complex of apartments joined at a central hub. Within the hub are the security guard's desk (the guard monitors people who enter), a library, elegant sitting room and computer room, three restaurants and a bar, a swimming pool, exercise room, small shop, health care. There are activities that you pay for and some included. Some laundry and housekeeping. An attached assisted living section, and a related nursing home a short distance away. I like the two bedroom apartments that have 2 baths and a balcony in addition to the other usual rooms.

I'm 38 now, and plan to retire no later than 55.

I am single so I have a lot of control over this, assuming no health problems or other crises occur in the next 17 years.

I plan on basically doing whatever I want, which will include a lot of travel, some animal rescue, learning new things. I will move to somewhere cheaper, likely Alabama or Mississippi.

Great question C.Ann.

I hope to retire when I'm about 62. I hope to stay in our current home until then and maybe, close to then, have bought a 2nd home in the Disney area. Whether or not we move to Florida permanently will probably depend on factors like where our daughter settles and other personal things. Maybe we'll sell our house and just maintain a small apartment in the area for visits.

I plan to travel a lot. I would love to own or periodically rent an RV and hit the road. I love to drive and see the country. I also want to see the rest of the world as well on cruises and land-based vacations.

This thread has really given me something to think about, especially the part of having 12 things for activities. I'm 46 now, my DH is 48 and we've had our house here in Mass. paid off for years, but now I've got 2 yrs of college to help pay for for my youngest DS. I do know, and keep telling my DH, that I absolutely will NOT be living in NE during the months of January, February & March the minute I retire. I'm hoping our jobs stay here in this area until we're ready for early retirement - 55 for me, 57 for DH. That would give my DH something like 35+ years with the same company and about 35 years for me, with my company changing hands a few times, but really still the same company.

I've had several health issues, including cancer, that I've dealt with so I'm a big believer in not putting everything off "until we retire". That's one reason I take my yearly or more trips to Disney, as well as other short vacations. My next goal is to see the Red Sox play in away games at least once every season. That'll get me to see cities I'd probably never experience, plus I'd get to see the Red Sox play, as it's next to impossible to get tix to Fenway! This year was Baltimore - next year is Philly or Tampa!

My DH & I are savers and are quite frugal most of the time, so I'm hoping we will have the $$$ we need to stop working Full-time within 10 years. I can see my DH working for the local golf course during the summer and I'd be happy working part-time and volunteering. I'm sure the health insurance issue will be the driving force in determining when we retire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter