For those that drive: how many miles on car?

myAAbatteries&aTD

DIS Veteran
Just curious b/c every time we've driven before we've always had a new or fairly new vehicle. My suburban isn't terribly old, but it's not new either and will have a lot of miles on it (over 125,000 by then I'm guessing). I don't really want to add the expense of renting something for 10 days and will finally have the suburban paid off (YEAH!) so we're keeping it for a while (our first time to do that, another YEAH!). We'll have it tuned up and looked over before we leave, but I'm a little concerned w/ the high mileage...

If it seems like its running fine then I think you'll be okay. Just make sure you have AAA Plus (as I would for any long distance trip) in case of emergency.

My Chevy Malibu has 190,000 miles and is still going strong. We aren't driving cross country or anything but we visit my inlaws in Miami (4 hr trip) and take tons of trips to Disney in it.

why worry if the car is mechanically sound then it is ok.... but i would still Have AAA just in case.

My car is quickly approaching 100K and I drive it everywhere. Last year we did two Miami trips of 3600 miles :)

A few years back, we drove our 1995 Ford Taurus with well over 145,000 miles on it through Shenandoah National park, over into Tennessee, back into North Carolina high up in the Blue Ridge mountains, and then back up the Blue Ridge Parkway, back through Shenandoah, and home to NJ. That's not the easiest driving by any stretch of the imagination.

Get the car checked out before you leave. Have a "trusted" mechanic check the belts and hoses, tires and such before you go. And, having AAA in your wallet is certainly a big help!

We kept the Taurus until March of 2003. It was still running strong, and was donated with over 180,000 miles on it. My 2003 Toyota Corolla is currently purring along with 131,000 miles!

I usually drive long distances until my car reaches 100k then I start renting. I'm not so worried that it will break down but that I don't want to add the extra miles to it. Right now my Civic has 70k and we are renting(need more space). I have a 10 day full sized rental with Alamo right now for $181 with taxes.

You also have to consider how much that suburban at $3 a gallon is going to cost you in gas.

My car is a 1999 Grand Am. It has about 90k on it. I drove it from Philly to Memphis this past summer. It will probably be making a trip to Detroit this coming summer too.

Oh the 1000 miles to Memphis was driven straight through (with only gas and potty breaks).

I drove round trip from NC to WDW in December, and my 2002 Chrysler T&C van had about 117,000 miles on it.

179,000 my dodge mini van did fine of course we changed oil, checked tires etc before heading out OH and new brakes which it was due for anyway.

As a PP said get the AAA plus it's well worth it if you do have trouble along the way an anyone can hit something in road an have a flat anytime doesn't have to be on long trip.

In family, we have 5 cars between us, our lowest mileage on any of the 5 is 154,000 miles. If you watch your oil, etc a car will easily last 200,000 miles without serious trouble. By the way, my comany has 2 suburbans that are over 750,000 miles. They are diesel engines, but the vehicles have held up in every other aspect and are still going strong.

Drew

My 2000 Subaru Impreza has 210,000 miles on it and I would drive it to Disney without hesitating (from NH). I have AAA and would make sure that it had recently been in for an oil change. When they do that, my local dealer inspects belts, hoses, etc.

This is reassuring to me. We have two vehicles- a 2003 Honda CRV and a 1995 Honda Odyssey. We also have three kids. We were thinking that the CRV with only 60,000 miles would be better to take to FL in April but the extra space we could have with the van if we pulled one of the center seats out is oh-so tempting. Being able to reach the cooler from the front seat, etc....... but the van has just over 150,000 miles on it. Brand new tires,brand new radiator, we just had an oil leak fixed and I think we're coming up on new brake pads too, but that has to be done no matter what. It is so tempting to take the van. The kids would be less squished, we'd be less squished, DH would be a lot more comfy (he is 6'4" and cramped in the CRV), but the mileage and age of the car makes me nervous, especially since we tend to drive straight through with just potty, meal and gas stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter