For the First Time In Forever.....A Disneyland reopening TR, Dark Ride photos and The End 5/8

Ha! That's true. Never thought of that. I'm more of a blur. I move fast.

Always always sashaying....

I hear you.
I want things to go back to normal... but I also want it to be normal in a way that doesn't negatively impact me in any way.

:laughing: I hope that we get to keep the outdoor dining when this is all over.

Really!
Then again... I'm not all that surprised.
Actually... I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't already a policy.

I suspect that it was buried in the fine print. However, with the guest insubordination that I've heard about at WDW, I think they want to nip that in the bud, when DL reopens. I suspect there will be zero tolerance policy for folks who disrespect the mask policy. There is a lot of that in the county where DL is located.

I say keep calling him that. So colourful!

OK, I will. I will just point anyone back to that TR, or post it again for posterity, if someone asks.

the one where I tossed a Frozen Prime Rib in our suitcase before we got on the plane.

This is only one of a multitude of reasons why I LOVE your trip reports!

The retrospective of your photos together is fantastic and it made me really want to go back more than I already do.
When I was 5 (1972) I tried to walk to Disneyland from Toronto. I convinced all the neighbourhood kids to come along and we actually made it quite far before someone's big brother came by on a bike and told us to go home. This is kind of how I feel right now, I am ready to WALK there if I have to!

Always always sashaying....
But of course. :snooty:

:laughing:
:laughing: I hope that we get to keep the outdoor dining when this is all over.
::yes::
I suspect that it was buried in the fine print. However, with the guest insubordination that I've heard about at WDW, I think they want to nip that in the bud, when DL reopens. I suspect there will be zero tolerance policy for folks who disrespect the mask policy. There is a lot of that in the county where DL is located.
Ohhhhh... okay. (mostly) for the masks.
I am perfectly fine with people who don't want to wear masks in stores/businesses/what have you. As long as they're fine with not being allowed into said establishments.
I presume these are the same people who insist on not wearing shoes or shirts into stores with those signs prominently displayed.
Probably the same people who use their phones in a movie.
OK, I will. I will just point anyone back to that TR, or post it again for posterity, if someone asks.
:thumbsup2

Following. I read one of your TRs for WDW many many years ago (possibly before our first trip?), I don't read a lot of TR's but yours are definitely entertaining, love all the pix! Excited to see how things look through your camera and the cameras of those who will get to go before us (our first time in forever will be Memorial Day weekend). :yay:

I'm here! So excited for you guys.

Me too! :hyper:

Thank goodness! Longest. Year. Ever.

Tell me about it!

Do they ask for your autograph? Selfies?

No just nice conversations and acknowledgement.

I wonder how the bomb-sniffing dogs reacted.

Good question!

Nope. Missed that one. Doesn't look like it would have aged well, though.

The Golden Gate bridge always ages well, but obviously Disney liked the overpass for Hyperion Blvd better....

Now we're talking!

:thumbsup2

I think A Bug's Life is one of the few Pixar movies I didn't like, so...yeah, bring on the MCU!

I just thought that the perspective of the whole land was cute. The animal crackers box you walked through....and other such effects.

That is quite the impressive haul there.

She went pretty all out that night!

I'm sure they will. They don't ignore any cash cows out there.

I feel like they're using this break to try and figure out a system to better manage the crowds between AP holders vs. tourists/vacationers.

Well without the APs they can make a whole lot more money. Some of the APs were as low as $375 per year, now they are getting $200 per day for most passes.

Hope that didn't mess up the system!

I doubt it, there was a line in the code where it checked to see if you had scanned into the park and at that point you got an error message. I'm sure that you were kicked out of the system at that point.

Probably a few profane ones.

I think that's my biggest fear for my next park visit. I'll have spent all this time and effort and money on the trip, and then end up getting shut out of a BG when I'm in the park ready to try it out.

Hopefully when you're out next year, we can make sure that you get on the ride! I still feel some amount of guilt that you didn't get to ride Indiana Jones, even though I had nothing to do with it.

Everything tastes better in a Disney park.

Yes, it definitely does.

I can't wait to try it out! (fingers crossed)

Hopefullly we get you on it in 2022!

Don't worry, I'll have no problem falling well behind no matter how frequently you post.

Okey dokey, that's OK, my posts aren't going anywhere. Just as @pkondz who is evidently reading my TR where I brought along the Prime Rib!

Following along! I am so excited to start reading TRs again! Will you be posting right after you attend the soft opening? :yay:

:welcome:

Well, I will do my best. I guess I will try to get something up, but I'll only have one day, and then we are back for opening day. There is a lot involved in getting a post up. I have to choose and edit the pictures before uploading them, but I'll at least try and get something up from the first part of the day. Then I've got a pretty busy weekend, with a friend flying in to town for my birthday and a big dinner (we will have six people going out together!) woohoo! for me that's a huge party in covid times!

This is only one of a multitude of reasons why I LOVE your trip reports!

Thank you!

The retrospective of your photos together is fantastic and it made me really want to go back more than I already do.
When I was 5 (1972) I tried to walk to Disneyland from Toronto. I convinced all the neighbourhood kids to come along and we actually made it quite far before someone's big brother came by on a bike and told us to go home. This is kind of how I feel right now, I am ready to WALK there if I have to!

I am getting so excited for the reopening! I am practically thinking of nothing else between now and then!

Ohhhhh... okay. (mostly) for the masks.
I am perfectly fine with people who don't want to wear masks in stores/businesses/what have you. As long as they're fine with not being allowed into said establishments.

Completely agree!

I presume these are the same people who insist on not wearing shoes or shirts into stores with those signs prominently displayed.

Most likely

Probably the same people who use their phones in a movie.

So annoying!

Following. I read one of your TRs for WDW many many years ago (possibly before our first trip?), I don't read a lot of TR's but yours are definitely entertaining, love all the pix!

I recognize your name! I think I remember you mentioning that you were planning a trip.

Excited to see how things look through your camera and the cameras of those who will get to go before us (our first time in forever will be Memorial Day weekend). :yay:

I will have made several trips before then and hopefully posted a lot by then!

I have thrown popcorn at those types. I figure they wouldn't mind. They enjoy having their phone out and ruining my movie, I enjoy throwing popcorn and ruining theirs. It's a fair exchange, I think.

But I doubt the unsuspecting phone user puts 2 & 2 together as to why the popcorn is showering down upon them. Fran has taken out her phone in the opening credits and gotten nasty words from people behind us.

No just nice conversations and acknowledgement.

Well, that's a relief.

I just thought that the perspective of the whole land was cute. The animal crackers box you walked through....and other such effects.

Ok, but superheroes can blow stuff up.

Well without the APs they can make a whole lot more money. Some of the APs were as low as $375 per year, now they are getting $200 per day for most passes.

I see. That definitely changes things. $$$ will always win out, I'm sure.

Hopefully when you're out next year, we can make sure that you get on the ride! I still feel some amount of guilt that you didn't get to ride Indiana Jones, even though I had nothing to do with it.

That wasn't your fault at all! Just not great planning on our part. We tried to cram in so much that day. I think we did pretty well. Not all of the kids would have gone on Indiana Jones at that point, so that ended up being the sacrifice.

Hopefullly we get you on it in 2022!

We'll be trying our best!

My 2022 plans have already hit a big snag. Sarah's summer break (she only gets a week, her school is on the quarter system and goes all year) is a week earlier than when Julie and the boys' school lets out. So now she may not be able to join us. Or she might only be able to come out for a couple days on the weekend or something. It's a pretty big bummer.

Okey dokey, that's OK, my posts aren't going anywhere. Just as @pkondz who is evidently reading my TR where I brought along the Prime Rib!

He probably just saw the words "prime rib" and couldn't help but follow the trail.

But I doubt the unsuspecting phone user puts 2 & 2 together as to why the popcorn is showering down upon them.
Depends. One time the person immediately put their phone away. Another time the person was so involved with their phone, they didn't even notice the popcorn landing in their hair.
Fran has taken out her phone in the opening credits and gotten nasty words from people behind us.
Sorry. Gotta side with the people behind her on this one.
He probably just saw the words "prime rib" and couldn't help but follow the trail.
I fail to see a problem with that.

Ok, but superheroes can blow stuff up.

OK, you did get me on that one!

I see. That definitely changes things. $$$ will always win out, I'm sure.

The problem is also that APs really don't spend that much money. They come in do the rides they want, watch parades or shows, and barely buy coke and a popcorn.

That wasn't your fault at all! Just not great planning on our part. We tried to cram in so much that day. I think we did pretty well. Not all of the kids would have gone on Indiana Jones at that point, so that ended up being the sacrifice.

I know it wasn't, but I still feel bad you didn't get on it. I guess it's something you can complain about over and over and over and over again! :laughing:

We'll be trying our best!

My 2022 plans have already hit a big snag. Sarah's summer break (she only gets a week, her school is on the quarter system and goes all year) is a week earlier than when Julie and the boys' school lets out. So now she may not be able to join us. Or she might only be able to come out for a couple days on the weekend or something. It's a pretty big bummer.

Well that's a bummer. At least you are back in planning mode. So far I only have plans until the end of June. I can't seem to think past there.

:laughing: Who wouldn't? :confused3

Depends. One time the person immediately put their phone away. Another time the person was so involved with their phone, they didn't even notice the popcorn landing in their hair.

Huh.

Sorry. Gotta side with the people behind her on this one.

I did too. I almost slapped her hand when she turned it on, but the guy behind me beat me to it with his verbal reprimand.

I fail to see a problem with that.

Me neither! :teeth:

So our last update was from February 24, 2020. We rode RotR, a couple other rides, enjoyed a breakfast at Carnation Cafe and some sweets in DCA. This time we had a similar cast of characters, but instead of Jim, we have Jill. She flew in to crash on the couch of our 1 bedroom Villa we had booked for the weekend. Leonard came out for the Friday activities, we arrived at about 1:00 at the DLR, which is pretty good for us considering our past track record. We got there in time to secure spots for the afternoon parade. Jill had arrived just in time to catch the tail end of the RotR Boarding Groups and I think she got something like group 121, so we were watching the progress of the boarding groups throughout the day.

Mickey started off the parade. I don’t even remember the name of this parade we were literally among the first people to see it. I think it started the day or two before.

Each float was buffered by dancers or walking characters. Goofy and friends came behind Mickey.

Next up was Moana….

What can I say? I love Hei Hei!

Next up was the float from CoCo

This guy was my absolute favorite of the movie!

Followed by this one….

Next came the Frozen sisters….

The Frozen float was iconic….

Until it broke down in front of us…..

I don’t know how long it was in front of us playing it’s song over and over and over again….but while they were trying to haul it away, we had some very intense interactions with characters walking the parade route.

Leonard was having some serious words with Peter Pan….

Fran was having an existential discussion with Aladdin!

About 20 minutes later, after the Frozen float moved ahead, the parade resumed.

Merlin and Arthur rounded the corner.

Then it was time for Tiana and Prince Naveen

And finally the parade came to its conclusion with Sleeping Beauty, the Prince, and the Good Fairies. It looks like their float needed a little help as well.

[Continued in Next Post]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter