"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

That happened to us in TX a few years ago. We were on a highway that used pay-by-plate but we never got a bill. I'm convinced that one day I'll get a bill from a collection agency indicating I owe $743 in fees and late charges for a $4 toll I didn't pay 3 years ago...even though I never got a bill.
You’ll get pulled over one day, “ step out of the car mame, it seems you have a warrant out of Texas for unpaid tolls, turn around, do you have anything that poke, stick or jab me? “. Lol.

You’ll get pulled over one day, “ step out of the car mame, it seems you have a warrant out of Texas for unpaid tolls, turn around, do you have anything that poke, stick or jab me? “. Lol.
As a Texan I can 100% see that happening 🤣 I guess I will just plan to have cash available, but hope that it's pay by plate so we can just breeze through. I appreciate the info!

A know a few people with EZ Pass, they moved down here from up north and for some reason, mainly on 419, were getting toll bills in the mail. The readers were not reading their transponders. They switched over to SunPass. Most likely just a glitch in the system with it being somewhat new. Not bad if you’re just visiting but if you live here, it’s a real pain. I’ve had SunPass for years and never had a problem but I only used it in North Carolina and Florida and now I only use it in Florida, I’m not leaving. Lol

I found out last summer-the SunPass Pro does work in the other states they say it will! Or at least the ones I went through from FL to CT :) It's so nice having ONE transponder and account for anywhere I will ever actually drive!

I gave up my MA EZ-Pass (CT does not have toll roads) after the SunPass Pro came out-I commute on the Suncoast Parkway daily. It also will pay the airport parking fees at the airports here if you go through the SunPass lane.

Anyhow, all the toll roads in FL I've been on have the big white signs that say 'WE BILL WITH TOLL-BY-PLATE' so if you don't actually have a transponder, they will bill you that way. You won't get the SunPass discount though.

Have you made the drive recently? Wondering on the total toll amount from Mass/RI to Orlando

Google or other routing apps like Waze will sometimes tally up the tolls for you. It can vary a fair bit depending on route.

Your biggest expenses from New England to Orlando will be any bridge tolls to enter NYC, and then the NJ turnpike. There are routes that can reduce that a bit, like taking I-84 over to PA and then taking an alternative route to I-95. Ultimately have to balance if the extra gas and distance is worth the tolls avoided (time-wise might stay around the same!).

Google or other routing apps like Waze will sometimes tally up the tolls for you. It can vary a fair bit depending on route.

Your biggest expenses from New England to Orlando will be any bridge tolls to enter NYC, and then the NJ turnpike. There are routes that can reduce that a bit, like taking I-84 over to PA and then taking an alternative route to I-95. Ultimately have to balance if the extra gas and distance is worth the tolls avoided (time-wise might stay around the same!).
Thanks. I used an app and it told me the total tolls from RI to Orlando were only $28.xx. The last time we drove I recall the tolls being closer to $80 or so between NYC, Delaware (?) and Orlando

Thanks. I used an app and it told me the total tolls from RI to Orlando were only $28.xx. The last time we drove I recall the tolls being closer to $80 or so between NYC, Delaware (?) and Orlando

Yeah I think a single NYC bridge can be ~$18. Similar for the Virginia Beach bridge-tunnel if it's sending you down through Delaware. But if you avoid those routes you can pay next to nothing.

I start farther west than you, so taking either 81->77->26->95 or US15->270->495->95, I pay zero tolls until I get to Central FL.
Meanwhile, coming from farther east, NJ Turnpike alone is like $30+.

Assuming you are taking 95 all the way to FL, the tolls I am aware of (I lived in NJ for years) would be the Washington Bridge (Northbound only -- 12.75 - 14.75 for EZPass, 17.00 for toll-by-plate), the NJ Turnpike (both ways 20.01 EZPass, 20.05 Cash), the Delaware Memorial Bridge ($5, southbound - don't know if they take cash or have toll-by-plate), The turnpike in Delaware ($4 any payment method) and Northern Maryland($8 EZPass, $12 Video tolling - Northbound only), and the tunnel in Baltimore($4 EZPass, $5 Video tolling). There are Express lanes in Maryland and northern Virginia (around DC). There may be more express lanes, as it's been about 6 years since I've made the drive. I looked the toll rates up on the individual toll authority websites. I don't think there's anything south of there on 95. Any tolls between RI and NYC I'm not familiar with.

Assuming you are taking 95 all the way to FL, the tolls I am aware of (I lived in NJ for years) would be the Washington Bridge (Northbound only -- 12.75 - 14.75 for EZPass, 17.00 for toll-by-plate), the NJ Turnpike (both ways 20.01 EZPass, 20.05 Cash), the Delaware Memorial Bridge ($5, southbound - don't know if they take cash or have toll-by-plate), The turnpike in Delaware ($4 any payment method) and Northern Maryland($8 EZPass, $12 Video tolling - Northbound only), and the tunnel in Baltimore($4 EZPass, $5 Video tolling). There are Express lanes in Maryland and northern Virginia (around DC). There may be more express lanes, as it's been about 6 years since I've made the drive. I looked the toll rates up on the individual toll authority websites. I don't think there's anything south of there on 95. Any tolls between RI and NYC I'm not familiar with.
Thank you For breaking this down. There are not any tolls between RI and NYC

If you didn’t get a bill, most likely they didn’t get your plate. It happened to me in North Carolina. We didn’t get a bill so I called, it was about six months later and the lady said it’s not in the system, looks like a free one. Lol.
I guess we got a free pass also. Lol.

I just finished a round-trip from Michigan yesterday and was surprised about the poor condition of I-75 in much of Kentucky. There were large gaps in the pavement with no evident attempts at patching. Maybe it's "on the list" but man, when you are driving at night, that stretch of interstate is extremely unpleasant as the damage is impossible to see. I have been making this trip for decades and I cannot recall I-75 in KY being this bad.

I just finished a round-trip from Michigan yesterday and was surprised about the poor condition of I-75 in much of Kentucky. There were large gaps in the pavement with no evident attempts at patching. Maybe it's "on the list" but man, when you are driving at night, that stretch of interstate is extremely unpleasant as the damage is impossible to see. I have been making this trip for decades and I cannot recall I-75 in KY being this bad.
This is one of the reasons I no longer drive north of the Florida/Georgia state line anymore.

This is one of the reasons I no longer drive north of the Florida/Georgia state line anymore.
We were just talking about this at work last night. I work with a few people from Pa. and we were saying how the roads in Florida that they resurfaced were better than the roads in Pa that they just redid. Lol
All you hear is up north is, “ it’s the trucks, it’s the trucks. “ well, just drive around central Florida and count how many trucks.
“it’s the heat and sun”, well, good luck with that one. Lol
I’m no road engineer but they need to install proper drainage in north. They just throw black top down on some stone and call it a day. Good freeze and everything is lifting, they just don’t want to spend the money to do it.
Here, it’s all sand. The water just sinks in. I asked about spouting on houses here, a lot of them dont have any. We do, about there are a lot that don’t.
People just laughed and called me a yankee. Lol

Hi everyone, got some news the other night. For some of you who sent me a message and who are coming down soon. My days in my current role are coming to an end. Last week I put in for a transfer and will be working in Epcot in merchandise. I loved what I was doing but just wanted to try something else, something in a climate controlled environment. Lol.
I had a blast over this past year, worked with alot of incredible people and I will miss them all.
But, I’m looking forward to my new role and meeting and working with more incredible people.
If I can give you some advice from an old man, follow your dreams, don’t wait, do it now!
See ya in the big store!!
#havingthetimeofmylife.

Hi everyone, got some news the other night. For some of you who sent me a message and who are coming down soon. My days in my current role are coming to an end. Last week I put in for a transfer and will be working in Epcot in merchandise. I loved what I was doing but just wanted to try something else, something in a climate controlled environment. Lol.
I had a blast over this past year, worked with alot of incredible people and I will miss them all.
But, I’m looking forward to my new role and meeting and working with more incredible people.
If I can give you some advice from an old man, follow your dreams, don’t wait, do it now!
See ya in the big store!!
#havingthetimeofmylife.

Good luck and enjoy your new role. A climate controlled environment is where I would want to be myself. I can't tolerate the extreme heat or cold the way I used to myself.

My DD did the CP program years ago - January through August. I felt so bad for her (as I do with all) working outside in the heat. She did tell me they rotate :tilt:

Good luck and enjoy your new role. A climate controlled environment is where I would want to be myself. I can't tolerate the extreme heat or cold the way I used to myself.

My DD did the CP program years ago - January through August. I felt so bad for her (as I do with all) working outside in the heat. She did tell me they rotate :tilt:
Thank you! I didn’t mind the heat, you can’t make it hot enough for me. There were other outdoor roles I put in for which I would have been happy at also. Being wet, having wet socks on drives me crazy. I always have extra socks and sneakers in my bag. Yellow fly! When you work by the water, I got eaten alive. Lol Just google those little Florida friends. Lol
We rotate also but your just doing a different function.
I worked in the same field for over 40 years, did the same job for 30 of them. I just want to try different things.
Transportation, attractions for the most part are all safety critical roles. Most people don’t realize the responsibility that comes with it and what could happen if someone don’t follow instructions. It’s just not push a button. Another reason I wanted a change, take a break from that responsibility. ( I’m getting too old for that. Lol )
I want to interact more with guest. Be able to look at them and say hello and ask how is your day. Be able to help them and answer their questions. Safety critical, you can’t take your eyes and mind off what you’re doing, things happen and happen real fast. I could tell you stories for hours.
Im looking forward to the new opportunity and change of scenery.

We usually do a 13 hour drive the first day and then finish up the second day. The 13 hour drive puts us at around Ozark, AL when we go the Memphis route instead of hitting Nashville and Atlanta. Since we get there later in the day we have usually spent time at Icon Park and the Outlets on I Drive. Just curious, what route do you take from Iowa?
didn't ask me but driving from mpls my first trip we went thru wis, illinois, paducah, nashville stop in murfreesboro. day 2 is chattanooga, then that long 1-75 drive thru georgia. reverse route on way back but stop in nashville suburb.

last trip we stayed with relatives near knoxville so it was thur wis, we went down 39 to bloomington an over to indianapolis. then south thru louisville, over to lexington to hook up with 1-75. will be doing that this trip but might swing over to cincinnati to get to 75. it's about 14 hours day 1, 10 hours day 2. might take I-26 to I-95 on day 2 just to do something different. it's 30 more miles. adds 45 minutes according to google but we will be rolling in probably no earlier than 7p so another hour won't matter much.

didn't ask me but driving from mpls my first trip we went thru wis, illinois, paducah, nashville stop in murfreesboro. day 2 is chattanooga, then that long 1-75 drive thru georgia. reverse route on way back but stop in nashville suburb.

last trip we stayed with relatives near knoxville so it was thur wis, we went down 39 to bloomington an over to indianapolis. then south thru louisville, over to lexington to hook up with 1-75. will be doing that this trip but might swing over to cincinnati to get to 75. it's about 14 hours day 1, 10 hours day 2. might take I-26 to I-95 on day 2 just to do something different. it's 30 more miles. adds 45 minutes according to google but we will be rolling in probably no earlier than 7p so another hour won't matter much.
We probably have hit that same route once we hit Marion, IL....that way we hit Paducah, Nashville and on South. Have you had any luck with traffic in ATL other than going thru at midnight? That traffic is why we have started going South at St Louis and thru Memphis instead.

We probably have hit that same route once we hit Marion, IL....that way we hit Paducah, Nashville and on South. Have you had any luck with traffic in ATL other than going thru at midnight? That traffic is why we have started going South at St Louis and thru Memphis instead.
3 of the 4 legs i've hit on the weekend and taking the loop around town wasn't too bad. one time we went thru town and it was a crawl but waze suggested the route and i've learned to listen to waze. seem to always hit slow traffic on that stretch on I-75 immediately south of atlanta.
If we take that route in august we'd hit atlanta about noon on saturday on way down, about 5p on saturday on return trip.
avoiding Atlanta isn't a good enough reason for me to take that jaunt over to i-95 via I-26 but i've done 2 trip on I-75 thur georgia and different scenery might be nice. i'll check weather and road construction before making decision.
Waze does recommend taking loop around chicago on way to indianapolis. i make executive decision to head to champaign then over. not chancing Chicago traffic

ugh. will have to watch this as i will be on it from lexington to knoxville. no good option to avoid without adding a lot of time. on the way down we leave later afternoon early evening and drive all night. i figure i'll be on it somewhere between 4a and 7a depending on when we leave.

That traffic is why we have started going South at St Louis and thru Memphis instead.
so you go memphis to birmingham to montgomery to tallahassee? google says that route is 2 hours longer than my fastest route and 90 minutes longer than my current plan. if i wasn't stopping at relatives it would be worth considering. would check alabama off my list...

ugh. will have to watch this as i will be on it from lexington to knoxville. no good option to avoid without adding a lot of time. on the way down we leave later afternoon early evening and drive all night. i figure i'll be on it somewhere between 4a and 7a depending on when we leave.

so you go memphis to birmingham to montgomery to tallahassee? google says that route is 2 hours longer than my fastest route and 90 minutes longer than my current plan. if i wasn't stopping at relatives it would be worth considering. would check alabama off my list...
It may be a bit longer but every time we have driven through Atlanta (except when we went through at midnight) we have been stopped dead in our tracks multiple times for at least an hour which felt like a lot longer than that. So, I think it was just about a wash and we kept moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter