"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We typically take the same route back, but I like to watch the weather. We can take I75 through ohio and cut over to I69 @ Fort Wayne if it makes more sense.

Van is under warranty. We bought it for the purpose of Disney trips and its kind of been a dissapointment. Left us stranded in Nashville, TN last year in October. And now the transmission is getting replaced.

Hyatt Place Bowling Green

We prettty much stay at Hyatt Place while traveling. My company card earns ALOT of points and they have the best program I have found (just wish they had more locations). Ocasioanlly we will use a marriott, but the points program isnt as good. I can usually get a Hyatt Place for 5000 points, and earn them at about 1 point/dollar. Marriott rooms are usualy over 12000 and earn at the same rate.

I'm assuming you know the Hyatt Place in downtown Nashville has an indoor pool.

However, it looks to be much more expensive than the other Hyatt Places close-by (Opryland, Brentwood, Bowling Green).

I'm assuming you know the Hyatt Place in downtown Nashville has an indoor pool.

However, it looks to be much more expensive than the other Hyatt Places close-by (Opryland, Brentwood, Bowling Green).

Its always more expensive. Plus the "big city" hotels charge for parking and its a big pain to haul all our stuff in...Plus we dont like leaving the downtown areas at 8-9am...traffic is terrible. Always try to drive through whatever ciyt we are stopping at.

We made it back to Disney!

Left Michigan Monday morning early. Spent some time at Mammoth Cave NP, hotel in Bowling Green, KY.

Next morning we made about 30 miles and the transmission fell apart on our one year old van. We left it at a dealership and finished our drive with a loaner.

Weather is great, kids are happy, drinks are cold. Cant ask for a better trip

Wow, love your attitude. Losing a transmission could ruin an entire trip and yet you say, "Can't ask for a better trip." Just love your attitude. :)

One of our favorite return trip stops is the peach stand in GA.

Where is this peach stand? We would love to stop.

We like to go to Georgia Peach World, which is just up the 95.

Yes, this must be the place, I could not think of the name. Not sure of the exit number, but you really can't miss it there are so many signs. We love all the peach products, and they are so friendly.

This should help (I-95 in Georgia):

GA Peach World Exit 58&87.jpg

I think this is the southern one (at Exit 58):

GA Peach World Exit 58.jpg

This should help (I-95 in Georgia):

View attachment 384487

I think this is the southern one (at Exit 58):

View attachment 384488

We've been stopping for peaches here for years. I did not even realize there were two exits...duh, so I have no idea which one we have gone to. We used to refer to them as the 'peach brothers' because 2 friendly young men were always working at the outdoor stand. They have definitely expanded over the years. The last time we were there, they gave us free peach slush samples, and we noticed many new products in the store. We are spending a night in Savannah on our Disney road trip this summer, so Peach World will be on our to do list.

Pretty uneventful trip down on Friday. I81 in Pa. had a detour, assuming a bad accident.
We took 301 for the first time. Great route around Jax and Orlando if you are heading to the west coast.
Long story but we spent the night below Ocala in a Hampton Inn. Continued on our way Saturday morning and pulled into Bradenton around 8am.
We leave Bradenton tomorrow morning around 3:30am heading to The Grandfloridian.
We like leaving early to avoid the rush hour traffic on I75 and I4. Breakfast tomorrow at Kona!!!

Last edited:

Sadly, due to health issues, my in-laws are selling and moving back to Pa. This will be our last trip here to Bradenton. Got to spend the last few days with my father in-law. He wanted to go out to Anna Maria Island today for his birthday. He is doing well but wants to be with his family. So next year no stop off at Bradenton. It’s been a fun last five years.

Sadly, due to health issues, my in-laws are selling and moving back to Pa. This will be our last trip here to Bradenton. Got to spend the last few days with my father in-law. He wanted to go out to Anna Maria Island today for his birthday. He is doing well but wants to be with his family. So next year no stop off at Bradenton. It’s been a fun last five years.

Sorry to hear that health issues have brought an end to a good thing. But I'm sure your wife will be glad her parents are closer. Mine are "only" five hours away, and it is difficult not being able to be there for them. Life is bittersweet.

Safe travels!

Prolly threading the needle between snow storms up PA-way ... One Friday night and one Sunday

Question regarding Sunpass. I keep reading that when you rent a car in Florida you might want to invest in a Sunpass for the tolls. Do I need to get one if I am taking my own car and driving through and around Florida?

Question regarding Sunpass. I keep reading that when you rent a car in Florida you might want to invest in a Sunpass for the tolls. Do I need to get one if I am taking my own car and driving through and around Florida?
It’s up to you. We do love having it. It’s very convenient.
You’ll only need it though if you’re planning on driving on toll roads. Not all the highways are tolls.

It’s up to you. We do love having it. It’s very convenient.
You’ll only need it though if you’re planning on driving on toll roads. Not all the highways are tolls.

I thought I read that on some of the toll roads they do not take cash and only electronic tolls, so if I don't have the pass how would I pay?

I think I've seen 3 electronic systems in Florida:

SunPass, E-Pass, and EZ Pass (the last 2 are hard to differentiate)

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking most of the SunPass toll roads, now also read EZ Pass, but E-Pass remains alone?

We are home. Our last day of a trip is usually early dinner 5ish than back to the resort to shower, final packing, hanging out and off to bed early. We get up at 2am and hit the road which gets us home in the area of 7pm.
This trip we planned on spending Saturday and driving home early Sunday morning, again waking up at 2am etc...
We are and did get a snow storm here at home. The storm was predicted to hit around 3pm.
So instead of hanging out and sleeping, we departed The Grand Floridian at 7:15pm. Stopped for gas at the Magic Kingdom gas station and hit the road. Other than hitting the breaks a few times in Orlando, we hit no traffic at all.
We pulled into home around 12:30 pm. My DD drove about 6 hours of the ride and we had a blast driving. Our van has a double bed in the back which my DD and I was calling the drivers lounge. Lol
197 days till we leave for a two week stay at Boardwalk in a one bedroom again.
Once again we had another great meet with the founder of this thread and his wife. We are looking forward to September and another visit with them. Hopefully if all goes as planned, it will be more often than every six months. We had a great time BC.
That’s it, we do our dining adr next week and the repacking has begun for another trip in September.

We did an overnight stay at the GFR; our drive took 59 minutes!

However, the crowds at the MK were brutal. FP lines were toooooo long. The vehicles at the MK entrance were lined up about 12-15 deep in every lane. The People Mover line extended half way to Space Mountain.

Before you take that long distance drive, make sure no special holidays, school vacations, etc. that coincide with your stay. This week: Louisiana residents (who had enough of Mardi Gras), Canadians (school vacations), and lawyers' convention. Ugh!

Gas at WDW Speedway: $2.41 regular.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Ok, the "Holy Boat" was too confusing for me, too (though I'm still trying to figure it out).

This one will be more recognizable to I-95 road warriors:

Lake Marion at Santee SC post Hurricane Florence.jpg

Although this is the new one, as Hurricane Florence (or was it Matthew?) took out the old one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter