"Foo-Foo" foods?

traceylu

Earning My Ears
O.K.... DH and I watched the Disney DVD last night and checked out the menus. We have been on RCCL and Carnival cruises and thouroughly enjoyed our meals and were always able to find something to eat that fit our tastes. I wouldn't say we are picky eaters but we aren't big fans of what we call "foo-foo" foods. (Fancy foods) WE are concerned that dinner may a little fancy for our taste buds. Anybody out there have this problem????

I am a meat and potatos kind of guy myself, and I have never had any problem finding something that is tasty. There is usually a beef dish or steak on the regular menu, and there is always a steak, chicken, and fish on the lighter faire menu.

One word of advise though, Palo for dinner has lots of great dishes. Palo for brunch is much more Foo-Foo and fancy type foods, and I did not enjoy that nearly as much.

There are so many choices in the dining room.:thumbsup2 There are some "foo foo" foods but there is always a choice, in the Lighter Fare section, of roasted chicken breast, sirloin steak and a fish. You can always ask for the meal without the sauce or change the meat from one meal with the side from a different one. You'll have no problem eating in the dining rooms.

So much to eat, so little time! :rotfl:

On our last cruise, I ended up having only one "foo foo" fancy meal. Two nights we ate in Topsiders, one night I had the rigatoni from the vegetarian menu (it was the French dinner night), and the other three nights I ate from the lighter-fare menu. But I nearly always had a foo-foo-fancy appetizer and dessert :)

The lighter fare has a steak, chicken, and fish selection every night, served with steamed rice or baked potato and vegetables. This was our 4th DCL cruise so I had sampled many of the foo-foo dinners before and decided that too much foo-foo-food was too much, but that the appetizers and desserts would be a good option.

I also have this problem. I've been "studying" the menus to get an idea of what I might order. I am used to southern cooking (chicken, mac & cheese, etc.), so I'll probably stick with the lighter fare menu that offers grilled chicken & baked potato, in those "fancy foo-foo" restaurants.

As above, each night you can order chicken breast, steak or fish totally plain with whatever veges you want. All dishes can be served without sauce, etc. I have pretty "plain" tastes also, but there's always something worth trying. Remember that if you order something and don't like it, they'll be happy to bring you something else (no charge).

There's always the kids menu options as well. Love the chicken noodle soup and Mickey bars on that menu. Anyone can order from either menu, so don't be afraid to ask to see the kids menu for the night.

I am not an adventureous eater. I have no problem with any of the restaurant menus (although, I've been known to substitute french fries on more than one occasion; also often asked for sauces on the side). I don't have any problem at Palo, either -- although at brunch, I bypass the "foo-foo" selections, still did not leave hungry.

So glad to hear the replies! We live in Nashville, TN and occasionally enjoy "fine" restaurants around here but our mainstays are Logan's, Chili's, Macaroni Grill, etc. I told my husband last night about the "lighter fare" menu and figured that it may be our best option.

I hated to pay all this money and eat pizza and burgers all week!

As above, each night you can order chicken breast, steak or fish totally plain with whatever veges you want. All dishes can be served without sauce, etc. I have pretty "plain" tastes also, but there's always something worth trying. Remember that if you order something and don't like it, they'll be happy to bring you something else (no charge).

I actually read in the Passporter that while it is easy to get extra dishes, and maybe mix and match, that getting a dish without sauces and glazes is much more difficult. Is this not the case?

One of the great advantages of a cruise is that you can order a plate to try a bite, and then have it taken away if you don't like it! Wasteful? Maybe, but it's an opportunity to see if you might like some "foo-foo" foods that you wouldn't try if you were paying for them in a restaurant.

At least, this is the argument that I make to my VERY picky son :) But he HAS tried some things (fish dishes, soups) that surprised him and his taste buds. No pain, no gain!

Hey, I'm picky too... I even ordered PB&J from room service! Just ask for something fru-fru and try it, if you don't like, then ask for something else. They bring you whatever you want. I found out I liked Escargot on our Disney Cruise, and duck on our Carnival Cruise.

Don't worry though.

I could be wrong but, I just read in a TR that servers will get food (a Porterhouse steak in their case) from Topsiders and bring it to you at your assigned restaurant if you request it...
Can anyone verify that this is true? If so, might something like that be an option for your DH?

I could be wrong but, I just read in a TR that servers will get food (a Porterhouse steak in their case) from Topsiders and bring it to you at your assigned restaurant if you request it...
Can anyone verify that this is true? If so, might something like that be an option for your DH?

I have never seen a porterhouse offered on DCL.

Rob

I've been looking at the menu's as well trying to decide what I'd like a couple nights as well. There are nights I'll be getting two entrees and nights I can't find anything I'd really like. But those nights I usually see a couple appetizers soups and salads I'd eat so I'll just order extra's of those. An appetizer, soup, salad, and dessert would be fine to fill me up and if not I can always get another of anything.

I had to laugh when I saw your post, because you described me perfectly.!

DCL-I've never had a problem selecting and enjoying the food. They will bend over backwards to find you something you like. Desserts...DCL wins hands down. I usually got 2, one night I actually got 3.:rotfl2:

Princess-There were times that I found the menu a bit foo foo, but generally I was happy with the menu.

NCL-Way too foo foo. I was not happy at all with the food. I am not saying this to be funny, but the best dessert I had was to make my own sundae at lunch time. I was sooooo disappointed in the selection of desserts. :sad:

In trying to describe the food on NCL and Princess, I've always felt bad because it really isn't that the food is bad.....it is just to fancy for me.:confused3

I am a self proclaimed french fry connoisseur... Can I sub "whatever side" for fries?

I am an extremely picky eater - don't like sauces or fancy foods, don't eat seafood or past dishes, don't like veggies. Extremely picky!

One of my biggest concerns, when we did our first cruise, was the food and how fancy it would be. But I really liked it. I picked badly at one restaurant (Parrot Cay) and, because I couldn't decide, our server brought me two meals and I didn't like either one (should have stuck with plain chicken or steak) but I didn't go hungry at all. And, on the last night, I ordered plain steak because I wanted to play it safe - one of our table mates ordered the duck dish (which I now understand is gone from the menu) and it looked so delicious, I had real food envy - he very kindly offered me some of his and I ate it all. It was unbelievably good - and I made a pact right there and then to try and be more adventurous when ordering.

Anyhow, back to your original question, there are plainer dishes available at all the restaurants and, with all the other options for eating, you definitely will not go hungry.

You can ask for a 'Caesar salad' if you don't fancy the appetizer.
I had this evry night for a week as well as a starter.Yum,yum,yum
I actually read in the Passporter that while it is easy to get extra dishes, and maybe mix and match, that getting a dish without sauces and glazes is much more difficult. Is this not the case?
They seemed to be great getting whatever you wanted!!!
I am a self proclaimed french fry connoisseur... Can I sub "whatever side" for fries?

Yes, ask for the steak variety !!!!!!!!! and you dont have to sub anything, just ask!
Our servers were amazing, we could not decide what sweet we wanted one night, I said I wanted none,so did my dad after a lot of deliberation!
They brought us one of everything on the menu to taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:beach: Happy days!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter